Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nebakenezzer posted:

As someone who's built many scale models and is building his second gundam, I get why people don't fill in seams. The kits have incredible engineering already, and gundam are kinda weird in that the things they are supposed to look like are more or less designed to be a graded model kit in the first place, so even just constructing these things gets them drat close to the original. That said, I'm erasing lines and primering poo poo, because...this is how we do it?

I'm building a HG Zaku Sniper. I have a few ideas for painting, no idea if they will work or not.

Also question gundam nerds, do gundam get any wear or weathering? It seems to me they are made of space-age material and get as much maintenance as a F-14A.

Gundams are massive so any weathering is going to be practically imperceptible for all but the oldest, most-mistreated heaps of junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If the Strike Freedom 2.0 is a better build than the Justice, then I know what kit i'm ordering next.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Puddin posted:

If the Strike Freedom 2.0 is a better build than the Justice, then I know what kit i'm ordering next.

To be clear, people are talking about the Freedom, not Strike Freedom. SF 2.0 doesn't exist yet.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

TaurusOxford posted:

To be clear, people are talking about the Freedom, not Strike Freedom. SF 2.0 doesn't exist yet.

Yeah don't mind me, that's what I meant.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://twitter.com/NuoDng/status/1075031049447469056

Perfection.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As someone going trough some crap lately, this poo poo is therapeutic as gently caress. Really helps taking my mind off stuff.

Any hoo, I picked up a cheap airbrush starter kit. It's only a single action external mix and a can of propellant, I'm not expecting much from it but it'll do for the moment to doing some top coating I hope and letting me see if airbrushing is going to work for me. Got some Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear and some X-20A Thinner, which from some Googling while I was in the store seems like it should do nicely. Still waiting for some other stuff to arrive so I'm probably not going to be able to give it a go until the weekend after Christmas.

If this goes well and I want to do some actual painting then I'll probably pick up a cheap compressor and maybe a better airbrush.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

sassassin posted:

Gundams are massive so any weathering is going to be practically imperceptible for all but the oldest, most-mistreated heaps of junk.

That's fair but I really like the way that old rusty machinery looks so when I weather, I do it with the mindset of "This thing is older than dirt, I dug it out of a pile of trash and made it (sort of) work, and then someone beat the poo poo out of it"

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I think that even well-maintained military vehicles get uneven wear and weathering over time, and I don't see why a mech in a terrestrial environment wouldn't either.

That said, I completely agree it's always personal preference and who knows - we're talking about sci-fi tech. I think a grunt suit on earth can look really good with some light weathering.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Veotax posted:

As someone going trough some crap lately, this poo poo is therapeutic as gently caress. Really helps taking my mind off stuff.

Any hoo, I picked up a cheap airbrush starter kit. It's only a single action external mix and a can of propellant, I'm not expecting much from it but it'll do for the moment to doing some top coating I hope and letting me see if airbrushing is going to work for me. Got some Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear and some X-20A Thinner, which from some Googling while I was in the store seems like it should do nicely. Still waiting for some other stuff to arrive so I'm probably not going to be able to give it a go until the weekend after Christmas.

If this goes well and I want to do some actual painting then I'll probably pick up a cheap compressor and maybe a better airbrush.

If you decide to get a compressor, go with a double action gravity fees airbrush for sure.

You have infinitely more control on paint flow than a single action.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/otoyanblog/status/770664977413713920

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

parabolic posted:

I think that even well-maintained military vehicles get uneven wear and weathering over time, and I don't see why a mech in a terrestrial environment wouldn't either.

That said, I completely agree it's always personal preference and who knows - we're talking about sci-fi tech. I think a grunt suit on earth can look really good with some light weathering.

they key word is "light." I've seen kits by builders that look like they're going completely fall apart at any second while just covering every inch of the drat thing in mud/grime.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 20, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

parabolic posted:

Fighter planes are a good guide. The F-35 is about as long as the Victory is tall, so they give you a decent visual reference for what weathering on a vehicle that size would look like. That said, they're also only about twice the size of modern MBTs, so those aren't the worst visual guide if you want to imagine what a Tieren slogging through a Siberian marsh might look like.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I am tempted to get this and I really should not be
https://gundamlabs.co/products/chog...=14328212357169

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm working on the HG Origins Zaku (first time airbrushing a serious model that isn't a $5 Haro) and I have the lighter parts painted light blue-green and the darker parts painted olive green. I also did a rust coat first and sprayed the greens on more sporadically so some of the rust comes through.

Pic of a lighter part with sloppy rear end detailing:

And of a darker part:

I'm debating what to do for panel lining (using the Tamiya panel wash stuff). I'm wondering if black would look too exaggerated and cartoony for this look, or if brown/dark brown would be better or if it'd get lost with the rust, or if I should do different panel colors on the light vs dark parts or if that would look jarring. Any thoughts?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'd say brown or a dark grey, i don't think it'll get lost in the rust.

I think black would be too contrasting.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Has anyone built the new Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger SDCS kits? It looks like they've decided to do both form factors in the same box using the same torso/hips, but with snap-in limb extensions instead of a completely separate (and sold separately) frame - will be interesting to see if that extends to the regular Gundam kits too. The boxart for the Phenex doesn't show it, which you'd think it would if it were included but then it depends on when they finalized stuff I guess.

It's not totally clear, but the box art shows the extensions highlighted on the right:

Hopefully the new hip sockets are a bit better, I find the SD ones are prone to popping out very easily but I like the stumpy legs.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

garfield hentai posted:

I'm working on the HG Origins Zaku (first time airbrushing a serious model that isn't a $5 Haro) and I have the lighter parts painted light blue-green and the darker parts painted olive green. I also did a rust coat first and sprayed the greens on more sporadically so some of the rust comes through.

Pic of a lighter part with sloppy rear end detailing:

I'm debating what to do for panel lining (using the Tamiya panel wash stuff). I'm wondering if black would look too exaggerated and cartoony for this look, or if brown/dark brown would be better or if it'd get lost with the rust, or if I should do different panel colors on the light vs dark parts or if that would look jarring. Any thoughts?

Carefully use a toothpick and rubbing alcohol to remove the sloppy parts. You could try a qtip, but beware not to rub out the correct details.

Black panel lining looks alright over blue, green, brown, and exaggerated and cartoony on everything else. Look at Dalong http://www.dalong.net/ as a reference. I used grey liner on white, and brown liner on red, yellow and orange. I don't really panel line anymore as I find that preshading and post pigment lining is much more subtle, but that's because I'm airbrushing glossy coats to help with the distribution. Gunpla is freedom. See what works best for you and then learn from it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Has anyone built the new Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger SDCS kits? It looks like they've decided to do both form factors in the same box using the same torso/hips, but with snap-in limb extensions instead of a completely separate (and sold separately) frame - will be interesting to see if that extends to the regular Gundam kits too. The boxart for the Phenex doesn't show it, which you'd think it would if it were included but then it depends on when they finalized stuff I guess.

It's not totally clear, but the box art shows the extensions highlighted on the right:

Hopefully the new hip sockets are a bit better, I find the SD ones are prone to popping out very easily but I like the stumpy legs.

I built a SDCS Zaku recently, I had to get a separate frame for CS mode. Well worth it and and now I’m building an HG GM with an SD head. Fun!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gundammad just got their last shipment of the year, which contained the LED set and the second bazooka runner I need to finish the PG Banshee full armed armor project. Needless to say, I’m hyped.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finished the mg unicorn ver ka that I got for like 20 bucks at a convention and the mg delta plus. the mg unicorn was sort of difficult as I had to disassemble a pre-built kit. I had a ton of old tamiya colors lying around so I just used those. Color's not 100% accurate but hey close enough. Also half assed the back to back pose that the delta and the unicorn did back in episode 3.

Also did the freedom 2.0. Which, as I mentioned earlier is one of my all time favorite builds.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Almost a year after I got my airbrush I've finally finished my first attempt at using it on an actual model (Haro doesn't count)!

Not perfect but I'm overall pretty drat happy with this for a first airbrush/second painting in general attempt. The silver on the axe/hands looks a lot more silver in person but for some reason looks waaaay more heavily brown on camera with the flash.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Almost a year after I got my airbrush I've finally finished my first attempt at using it on an actual model (Haro doesn't count)!

Not perfect but I'm overall pretty drat happy with this for a first airbrush/second painting in general attempt. The silver on the axe/hands looks a lot more silver in person but for some reason looks waaaay more heavily brown on camera with the flash.

Great for a first try, only comment is that the airbrushing you did on the head just kind of looks like airbrushing rather than rust, you know? Great job though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

garfield hentai posted:

It kinda looks like a zombie zaku that’s eaten the brains of some other mobile suits.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Monaghan posted:

they key word is "light." I've seen kits by builders that look like they're going completely fall apart at any second while just covering every inch of the drat thing in mud/grime.

This. It's one of the two biggest mistakes I see people make in weathering stuff like Gunpla and the bigger vehicles etc. in miniatures.

The other being not taking into account the scale and what would be the 'actual' size of something.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Null of Undefined posted:

Great for a first try, only comment is that the airbrushing you did on the head just kind of looks like airbrushing rather than rust, you know? Great job though.

Thanks for the feedback! What about it makes it look that way? Looking at it with your comment in mind I think that the little bit showing right above and beneath the visor looks okay but maybe the tubing/mouth area looks a bit off. It's pretty fully covered in green except for mostly just the front which is probably kinda brown heavy, and the inside edges of the mouth grill bit are all brown which gives it that "I just didn't get it from that angle" look. Is that kind of in line with what you're thinking?

I think the biggest challenge with this for me is getting used to how pieces are going to fit together and therefore how good rust coming through will look on a given area - I did sort of half-snap them together to get an idea how they'd fit together and looked at pictures of the finished model online for guidance but I have zero spatial awareness and it's a bit tricky for me to imagine exactly where everything's going to fall into place while I'm painting individual pieces. I do have some of the chipping medium that came with the rust color paints I got, and I'm sure that doing the water brushing after everything's assembled would give me greater control, but that's yet another topcoat and even more drying time. The main reason I did it the way that I did was that it seemed like a good compromise between making it look good and not being overly tedious to the point where the actual building/painting became less fun.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 24, 2018

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

If you’re trying to emulate rust, you’re better off using Tamiya weathering kit. There’s loads of guides on youtube how to do it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I took a quick look on Amazon, is it the stuff that looks like makeup you're talking about? That looks like it would be fun to do, different technique to apply it aside from just airbrushing everything, plus it seems like I could use a lot more precision putting it on. I don't really want the look I see a lot on r/gunpla where everything looks absolutely beaten to hell (despite the kinda overdone face on that Zaku), it's less about "making it look like it was pulled out of a scrap yard" and more about just breaking up the monotony of solid color. My biggest thing with this is mostly that if I just spray the color it's supposed to be and panel line it it'll just look like everyone else's which is no fun.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Yeah. I can’t remember the number, but it’s the snow/soot/rust one. You kinda smudge it in place, then gently model it with alcohol based thinner, then seal it off with a top coat. If you’re super confident, you can also do good things with washes, but that takes practice. The water/rain streaking on my Geera Doga is done that way.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Thanks for the feedback! What about it makes it look that way? Looking at it with your comment in mind I think that the little bit showing right above and beneath the visor looks okay but maybe the tubing/mouth area looks a bit off. It's pretty fully covered in green except for mostly just the front which is probably kinda brown heavy, and the inside edges of the mouth grill bit are all brown which gives it that "I just didn't get it from that angle" look. Is that kind of in line with what you're thinking?

Yeah it's the part around the mouth grill. It's difficult to describe but right there it doesn't give the appearance of green paint wearing away exposing rust, it gives the appearance of someone with an airbrush, briefly brushing a brown spot on the front. Like Xaerael said, You can get a better effect with a weathering kit. If you're looking to just break up the color without making your robot look hella beat up, adding some variation with a layer of oil paints is great for that too. http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-oil-weathering-tutorial

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

On a Christmas note my wife got me Momokapool and ZZ Ver. Ka. Nice.

On a P-Bandai note, Gunblaster! Or perhaps Gunbraster…

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009766/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's not a Gundam model, but the US P-Bandai site finally has something worth buying

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2469170001001

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

Was hoping this would be a general release after the GunEZ but I'll take it, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

You momentarily got my hopes up for a Gunbuster :argh:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You momentarily got my hopes up for a Gunbuster :argh:.

Well, you can't expect someone to just hand you a Gunbuster ready made. You have to design it for yourself with hard work and guts.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Awww, PB fixed the spelling and now my post makes no sense.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

The great experiment to see if I can infect my sister and/or brother in law with gunplaitis via petit beargguy exposure starts today.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Nice. My SO built the Momokapool last week and loved it. It sits by the TV forever now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Xaerael posted:

The great experiment to see if I can infect my sister and/or brother in law with gunplaitis via petit beargguy exposure starts today.

don't ever do this.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I made some kits as xmas gifts for some fellow goons and now that they've opened them I can post pics

ATM-09-ST Scopedog (Berkoff Squad)

Had a fun time with the weathering on this kit. The scopdogs in the show always looked beat up and dirty as hell so i tried to emulate that. to the goon asking earlier in the thread about rust, I used the Tamiya weathering master set B and C on it and it worked very well.

Swordfish II

This kit is showing its age. had to glue several parts together to keep them from separating, and the fitting is just awful on a few pieces (see the leading edge of the wing into the fuselage). Aside from the red and grey there's no color separation or decals (the ones on there are leftovers from the scopedog). The landing gear barely hold the model up and while being able to move the wings into the "storage" position is cool it makes the model much weaker.

MG FA-78 Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt

To contrast the Swordfish, the engineering on the newer bandai kits is getting really good and this one was amazing. I was scared it would have trouble holding up the massive weapons and shields (like my MG Sazabi does) but its rock solid. There's an amazing amount of detail on this kit, tho im mad at myself for spending sso much time detailing the base suit when it just gets covered up on the armor. I also tried panel washing on this for the first time and its so much easier bringing out detail on very small parts (like those orange leg missiles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I really missed out on the Bandai Scopedogs, but such as it is.