Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

That makes sense, thank you. I had no idea it was illegal in IBJJF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spb posted:

That makes sense, thank you. I had no idea it was illegal in IBJJF

Trachea crushing is also illegal in MMA, but putting your palm over your opponents mouth (like you're trying to stop them from talking) is entirely legal so long as you dont pinch the nose or stick a finger inside their mouth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We got a new white belt who is a 6'3" former wrestler and rolling with him is hilarious because he whips my rear end but doesnt know how to sub so he just kind of randomly tugs on poo poo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

Is there any reason why you can't just wrap your hands around your partners neck and choke them that way? As opposed to all these other fancy choking methods from mount or closed guard.

Rules.

I think its good to train for however. Its been a long time since I've done anything like that, but when you're neck/head is pinned to the ground I found its very difficult to swing my hips up for an armbar.

And speaking of smothering: are there any defense techniques against this? Its frowned upon or illegal in most places, but its legal in some competitions, in MMA, and on the street. I'm curious as to how guys deal with it.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 23, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

And speaking of smothering: are there any defense techniques against this? Its frowned upon or illegal in most places, but its legal in some competitions, in MMA, and on the street. I'm curious as to how guys deal with it.

Depends, if you do it like Gordon Ryan does it, where you have one arm occupied by leg the other by your own arm you can really only defend it by moving your head, however; this exposes your neck to a strangle.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Count Roland posted:

Bite the hand that’s smothering your mouth

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Bite the hand that’s smothering your mouth

That's when the other guy stops playing nice and just goes for the face lock instead of trying to get you to open your neck up to a strangle.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spb posted:

Is there any reason why you can't just wrap your hands around your partners neck and choke them that way? As opposed to all these other fancy choking methods from mount or closed guard.
In training, I do this to people who try to north/south choke me and leave my arms free. It's pretty funny when they realize that the n/s choke isn't working but mine is.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

In training, I do this to people who try to north/south choke me and leave my arms free. It's pretty funny when they realize that the n/s choke isn't working but mine is.

:aaaaa:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Is there an easy way to remember thumb inside = pass, fingers inside=choke?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spb posted:

Is there an easy way to remember thumb inside = pass, fingers inside=choke?

Fingers inside pass, fingers outside choke

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Neither of those are really firm rules

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Could someone elaborate as to what the rule is? I haven't heard of it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like nonsense

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Could someone elaborate as to what the rule is? I haven't heard of it.

Its probably not a hard rule but its a tip a blue belt I was rolling with gave me

If your opponent has a cross collar grip with the fingers inside the lapel, it makes his arm more flexible so he is more likely to try a pass. If he grabs the collar with the thumb inside, it makes his arm more stable and he is more likely to be trying for a choke.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This doesn't seem like a hard rule to remember. Nor does it seem like a very true one.

I have never done a cross collar choke with the thumb inside on my initial grip hand....

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

This doesn't seem like a hard rule to remember. Nor does it seem like a very true one.

I have never done a cross collar choke with the thumb inside on my initial grip hand....

It’s hard for me to remember as a stupid white belt

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What you want to do is go for a deep cross collar choke with your finger and thumb on the inside, and then slide your hand down into his sleeve. Then hip switch and do the same with your other arm so that you're wearing your opponent's jacket like it's your jacket and they get turned into a human backpack

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Sword choke and bread slicers are two common attacks where the initial grip is thumb in:colbert:

edit: Helio choke and back lapel chokes(Bow and arrow/wing choke) are common thumb goes in first attacks.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 24, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Sword choke and bread slicers are two common attacks where the initial grip is thumb in:colbert:

I was referring specifically to the cross collar choke, I'm well aware of a bunch of thumb in grip chokes as well as 4 fingers in so I'm not really sure how this is a rule one way or the other.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: Helio choke and back lapel chokes(Bow and arrow/wing choke) are common thumb goes in first attacks.

Not really worried about the pass are we if they have our back...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

lol if you know what to do with lapels

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

lol if you know what to do with lapels

Get choked by your own duh

E: also sometimes get choked by other people’s too can’t believe I forgot that one

butros fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 24, 2018

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
A guy from my old gym who likes to cross-train stopped by my current gym for the Christmas open mat this morning and one of the upper belts insisted on turning my friendly catch-up roll with him into a Serious Business tournament match with him reffing and everything for whatever reason. I put him to sleep and felt like a jerk even though (probably because) he was super cool about it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You could just give up an easy tap, repeat until the upper belt leaves you alone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ihop posted:

You could just give up an easy tap, repeat until the upper belt leaves you alone.

This goes against my BJJ morals, I don't think I could ever give up an easy tap vs a higher belt. To a lower belt yeah, if I was showing them something. But willingly lose... no, I don't think I could do that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Count Roland posted:

This goes against my BJJ morals, I don't think I could ever give up an easy tap vs a higher belt. To a lower belt yeah, if I was showing them something. But willingly lose... no, I don't think I could do that.

Same

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you're training at Cobra Kai.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Count Roland posted:

I went to the gym of my first coach today, haven't seen him in 12 years. Had super fun just loving around. Rolled with a guy who started after me, who I know from back then, who is now a black belt (I'm a blue belt). He's way smaller than me and when I had a rear naked choke on him I just let it go because I knew he let me have it and BJJ is just dumb when it's serious business at a Boxing Day open mat.

C'mon man, are you 20 or something?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What other bjj morals are there

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I got my first ever submission last week, a kimura from side control on a fellow white belt. I really enjoy side control, to the point where I don't like to go for mount because I have better ability maintaining side control than mount. I've also really enjoying going for the kimura in side control because its pretty low risk, usually when I go for other submissions I lose my position, but with a kimura even if I can't finish it I can use it to control the guys upper body, unlike other subs where not finishing it means you are at risk, I think with a kimura if I can't finish it at worse I have a control deep in the other guys arm, like a russian tie

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I don't like to go for mount because I have better ability maintaining side control than mount.

I feel you buddy, and from talking at my gym this is pretty normal

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

starkebn posted:

I feel you buddy, and from talking at my gym this is pretty normal

This is one of the things I've been working on. I've seen people (maybe here?) remark that when you're new side feels stronger, but at higher levels mount proves better - so I've been exploring getting and holding mount and hunting for subs from there.

Now this kinda leads me to another question I've been mulling - another thing I've been "exploring" - does anyone have any good suggestions for competition footage which includes sequences in which people work relatively basic stuff, at high levels, progressively through resistance? E.g. Nicky Ryan's sequence vs Imanari once he gets mount shows him using relatively basic elbow opening techinques and succeding with them, but slowly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Now this kinda leads me to another question I've been mulling - another thing I've been "exploring" - does anyone have any good suggestions for competition footage which includes sequences in which people work relatively basic stuff, at high levels, progressively through resistance? E.g. Nicky Ryan's sequence vs Imanari once he gets mount shows him using relatively basic elbow opening techinques and succeding with them, but slowly.

Anything with Roger Gracie in it?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sounds like you're training at Cobra Kai.

No, not at all. But having trained at multiple gyms in multiple cities, I almost never see people giving up taps, and its baffling to me that someone would give up a tap to a higher belt. I mean, they're a higher belt, they can tap you just fine anyway. Its like you're purposefully making their training useless and boring so they leave you alone, which is awful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mostly meant that "put him to sleep" sounded like a bit much for a guest mat day, but I could be reading too much into it/confusing Jiu Jitsu with ballet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jits is a two way street.

I am in a RNC and the suns getting real low, may I should tap before I go to sleep.
I have my partner in a RNC dead to rights and he's being real stupid. I should probably let go before he gets more brain damage and becomes stupider than he already is.

edit: In a competition setting, screw it he signed a waiver and as long as what you are doing is legal as per competition rules do what ever, but in training you should seek to minimize any sort of damage to yourself and training partners no matter how stupid they're being.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I got my first ever submission last week

Hell yeah bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

Jits is a two way street.

I am in a RNC and the suns getting real low, may I should tap before I go to sleep.
I have my partner in a RNC dead to rights and he's being real stupid. I should probably let go before he gets more brain damage and becomes stupider than he already is.

edit: In a competition setting, screw it he signed a waiver and as long as what you are doing is legal as per competition rules do what ever, but in training you should seek to minimize any sort of damage to yourself and training partners no matter how stupid they're being.

I would err on the side of being lenient.

When I started I didn't know what a lot of stuff "felt like". I got put to sleep simply because I didn't know what it felt like when someone had you in a choke you weren't going to be able to get out of.