Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
bonous round

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/939572902889791489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yo why do the manga you link that I read make me feel like a piece of poo poo :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

I've been reading Otonori Complex and really liking it, but I realize I almost never read series where the protagonists are in college. Any recs for college series? I'm already reading Giniro no Genders, too.

Shimanani Tasogare is really really incredible and good. And beautiful.

https://mangadex.org/title/11489/is-reiroukan-still-alive

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm ambivalent about Hatsukoi Zombie. It's super dumb and obvious how they desperately want to keep the status quo going. It's hard to get invested in it when it's just treading water. On the other hand it's easily digested romcom fluff, so I can just read it on the toilet.

Also I get that teenage boys are teenage boys, but the fanservice gets ridiculous sometimes.

Also that one old man with a school girl in gym clothes zombie is creepy, even if he had his crush when he was in HS or whatever.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hatsukoi Zombie is (slowly) increasing the gas these days. The love-of-the-week format did get repetitive at first, but it also established a bunch of rules about FLZ's which are starting to pay off now. Zombies getting sublimated into physical objects is almost certainly going to be a huge plot point in the end.

Also Ebino finally knows that she got thrown over for an imaginary friend. Which is sort of funny.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Foxhound posted:

Also I get that teenage boys are teenage boys, but the fanservice gets ridiculous sometimes.

You gotta choose to read all the panels with a disembodied rear end floating through the corner as a meta-commentary on the state of shounen romance comics that has itself been consumed by the capitalist machine and forced into being that which it was commenting on. Like, the initial premise of the comic is that being constantly surrounded by adolescent sexual fantasies is annoying and gross. Ridiculous is exactly the point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

You gotta choose to read all the panels with a disembodied rear end floating through the corner as a meta-commentary on the state of shounen romance comics that has itself been consumed by the capitalist machine and forced into being that which it was commenting on. Like, the initial premise of the comic is that being constantly surrounded by adolescent sexual fantasies is annoying and gross. Ridiculous is exactly the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I mean, I don't think "the comic started out parodying the excess of fanservice but quickly shifted into just providing it because it sells" was really intended as a defence. That said, who knows how much of even the early stuff was meant to be parody as opposed to the artist just liking T&A.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Sometimes T and A is just T and A.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Zandar posted:

I mean, I don't think "the comic started out parodying the excess of fanservice but quickly shifted into just providing it because it sells" was really intended as a defence. That said, who knows how much of even the early stuff was meant to be parody as opposed to the artist just liking T&A.

¿Porque no los dos?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is incredibly vague but I just remembered a manga people were talking up a bit back on account of a big drama scene in a diner or something where the characters were just letting loose about gender relations and dating I think?, but I'm completely whiffing on the name.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Motto posted:

This is incredibly vague but I just remembered a manga people were talking up a bit back on account of a big drama scene in a diner or something where the characters were just letting loose about gender relations and dating I think?, but I'm completely whiffing on the name.

most likely Blue Flag, which sets itself up like it's going to be a heterosexual manga but actually ends up with half the main cast being gay

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, that's it. I remembered it having "blue" in the title but didn't get hits with just that. Thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZiegeDame posted:

¿Porque no los dos?
Yeah, there was definitely a message of it being bad and objectification being an inherently toxic thing, but it also reveled in it, trying to have its cake and eat it too. That being said, once it moved on to the actual plot it's currently going with, it's certainly playing off of a lot of stuff it has built up over the course of the series. Like, this scene is quite powerful and gives you some really, REALLY solid "normal person being exposed to this poo poo" reaction, she's just straight up mortified.

Ebino is legit the best character in the entire series.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mirage posted:

Hatsukoi Zombie is (slowly) increasing the gas these days. The love-of-the-week format did get repetitive at first, but it also established a bunch of rules about FLZ's which are starting to pay off now. Zombies getting sublimated into physical objects is almost certainly going to be a huge plot point in the end.

Also Ebino finally knows that she got thrown over for an imaginary friend. Which is sort of funny.

I was skeptical, but checked it out.

Man, I'd have so many more good things to say if they just cut out the middle 50 or 80 chapters.

At any rate, Tarou not being unbeliveably dense for once finally means I can buy into the drama of the love quadrangle(square?).

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

yo why do the manga you link that I read make me feel like a piece of poo poo :smith:

i used to read a lot of manga, what kind makes you feel good?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Succubus and Salaryman got a bath episode.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like this one. It's short and sweet. :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DisDisDis posted:

i used to read a lot of manga, what kind makes you feel good?

I wanna see manga where everyone involved is just as much a piece of poo poo failure as I am. Makes me feel less strange or like an outsider. :shrug:

Everything is so idealized and never covers the actual hell we are in. When everything is perfect, it’s fake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
more Oogami-san.

these are a lovable group of goofballs.

edit:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I wanna see manga where everyone involved is just as much a piece of poo poo failure as I am. Makes me feel less strange or like an outsider. :shrug:

Everything is so idealized and never covers the actual hell we are in. When everything is perfect, it’s fake.

Well most of the stuff I've read like that is just really cheaply written and bad, but Gunjou is depressing and Jealousy is one of my favorite manga ever.

I'd also recommend the novels No Longer Human, Notes of a Crocodile and Last Words from Montmartre. No Longer Human in particular was a good read for me as someone who struggles with depression, and I've heard the same from other people, but both it and Last Words are sort of extended suicide notes so they might no be the best reads if you're really in the thick of it right now. Notes of a Crocodile is probably fine though. All three are short and use fairly simple language.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh speaking of, looks like the ending of Gunjou got uploaded two months ago. I've been reading it since highschool so I'm interested to see how it ends up.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Pollyanna posted:

It's technically Seinen, but Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction hits all the right notes for me as a story about misfits living a life of ironic detachment from their horrible gently caress-up of a world but having to figure out how to actually engage in it when it becomes impossible to stay detached. I'm a little behind on it, and it's an Inio Asano work, so it might be way darker by now. Inio Asano in general is pretty good at "stories about people as hosed up as I am."

If you like kinda overly drama-bomb stories about queer characters, Bokura no Hentai and Himegoto also really did it for me.

(listen to this professional say Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction flawlessly please)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBhVx9X4n8&t=826s

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Oh speaking of, looks like the ending of Gunjou got uploaded two months ago. I've been reading it since highschool so I'm interested to see how it ends up.

it was really, really good

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cephas posted:

If you like kinda overly drama-bomb stories about queer characters, Bokura no Hentai and Himegoto also really did it for me.

Note that there are a couple of different manga titled Himegoto: this one, by the Hatsukoi Zombie mangaka, is probably the one you want if you're looking for a story about college students with various gender/sexuality issues digging themselves into deeper and deeper holes through their terrible life decisions and complete inability to be honest with each other. Also it gets pretty NSFW in parts so watch out for that (and, uh, not always in fun or healthy or non-traumatic ways, so watch out for that too).

I did appreciate its approach to character development: instead of being a story about how the characters changed, it felt more like they were trying to find more sustainable ways to keep being who they were, which, well... I dunno, I found that easy to relate to, anyway.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wait poo poo Hatsukoi Zombie is by the same author as Himegoto?????

Somehow I never quite figured it out :psyduck:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Mikl posted:

Huh, me neither. I'm usually pretty good about this stuff, even across genre changes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DisDisDis posted:

Well most of the stuff I've read like that is just really cheaply written and bad, but Gunjou is depressing and Jealousy is one of my favorite manga ever.

I'd also recommend the novels No Longer Human, Notes of a Crocodile and Last Words from Montmartre. No Longer Human in particular was a good read for me as someone who struggles with depression, and I've heard the same from other people, but both it and Last Words are sort of extended suicide notes so they might no be the best reads if you're really in the thick of it right now. Notes of a Crocodile is probably fine though. All three are short and use fairly simple language.

Cephas posted:

It's technically Seinen, but Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction hits all the right notes for me as a story about misfits living a life of ironic detachment from their horrible gently caress-up of a world but having to figure out how to actually engage in it when it becomes impossible to stay detached. I'm a little behind on it, and it's an Inio Asano work, so it might be way darker by now. Inio Asano in general is pretty good at "stories about people as hosed up as I am."

:woop: I’m already downloading the audiobook for No Longer Human and I’ve got one for Notes of a Crocodile on my wishlist. Really looking forward to them! Also put Gunjo and DDDD on my to-read list!

quote:

Bokura no Hentai was a biiig oof (in the I-guess-good way), that got hard to read at many points. But it was pretty good. Himegoto I just couldn’t get into for some reason though.

quote:

(listen to this professional say Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction flawlessly please)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBhVx9X4n8&t=826s

:hai:

Mikl posted:

WHAT

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mikl posted:

Yeah! I'm always super worried while reading Hatsukoi Zombie because of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and yet more Oogami-san!

I absolutely love the gimmick of the series, and it feels to be moving at a brisk pace.

The scumbag PUAs that always show up at the beach self-destructing that way was extremely good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A slow burning friends-to-lovers story that starts in high school and continues into college, with really great art:

Depth of Field
Shuichirou is in the habit of sneaking into the terrace of his school building during lunch, while skipping class, or when he wants to put off going home. There, he often meets with Konno. Konno is a guy shrouded in rumour: with some saying he's dark and intimidating but others claiming he's a photography enthusiast and an unexpectedly nice guy.

Jealousy, envy, and an odd sort of mutual regard colours the interactions between these two young men: one who conceals his feelings behind a cheerful facade and the other whose simple-minded, pure-hearted demeanour makes his friend's previously avoidant existence rife with internal conflict...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's it, there's no more meat, we've eaten it all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Man :unsmith:

This was a nice way to finish 2018 :unsmith:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
There's a sequel though? Per the TN at the end. Hopefully someone picks it up.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Speaking of sequels, the first chapter of the sequel to the cooking with her neighbor series Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo has been translated. The two are now living together and the food focus sounds like it’s tilted toward food to be eaten when drinking.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/510415/4

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
they're so cute :3

I'm not really sure microwaved boiled chicken is as great as they're making it out to be tho

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Bitter change updated and did not murder me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm not really sure microwaved boiled chicken is as great as they're making it out to be tho

Let's ask Namtab

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Everything Burrito posted:

You know, I don't quite get it myself, but when my dad and his friends are drinking they too, go for steamed chicken. We're Vietnamese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Minimalist has a steamed breast with scallion-ginger sauce recipe that I liked, it can be done well but it’s not easy.

Edit: Here's the recipe.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 31, 2018