Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Shake Hands With Danger song is part of my life now, in the back of my mind forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
died in a horrible explosion, three stars.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m hoping someone here remembers this, but a while back Josh Weinstein was on a podcast where he was brutally honest about his time on MST3K and his dismissal from it. I’m struggling to find it now, does anyone have a link?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I always thought the story was that he quit because he wanted to keep the show improv and wasn't happy with the switch to the more scripted format.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

I always thought the story was that he quit because he wanted to keep the show improv and wasn't happy with the switch to the more scripted format.

There's also the bit where he let the taste of success go to his head.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
He said on this podcast that he was fired, and that basically while Jim, Joel, Trace, and Kevin each had a stake in the company while he was kept as an employee and paid substantially less. I listened to this about six months ago but cannot remember where I found it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've never seen the real early improve stuff, but i've heard is really painfully slow in the jokes department.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It has a charm to it, but it is very slow, and as other have stated, it's more like watching a movie with some friends who occasionally make comments. I will say that, having watched the kickstarter bonus episodes one and two, this is a lot more tolerable when the film is in better shape like those were, rather than trying to watch tenth generation vhs rips.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You have to remember that MST3k descends from the old syndicated movie host shows like Svengoolie and Elvira. Joel's gimmick was that he'd watch the movie along with you, and so him and his robot buddies making any comments was a lot more than what you'd get from other shows like it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You have to remember that MST3k descends from the old syndicated movie host shows like Svengoolie and Elvira. Joel's gimmick was that he'd watch the movie along with you, and so him and his robot buddies making any comments was a lot more than what you'd get from other shows like it.

I have to admit that I would probably not be a fan had I seen the KTMA version first.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have to admit that I would probably not be a fan had I seen the KTMA version first.

I used to think this, but again, citing the released masters of the first two eps, it was just a neat way to watch bad movies with skits in between and the occasional funny comment. Seriously, I cannot get across how much better the KTMA stuff holds up when you can actually see and hear everything clearly, movie and skit. It's obviously not to the same standard of comedy that the later seasons get, but it works just fine for what it was and for what was likely on tv late night when it was running.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

in the frankenstein cinematic titanic, josh says something like, "wow this totally reminds me of my last year at mst" after a character gets betrayed and thrown out of the castle

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When did Mike join? I don't believe he was part of the KTMA stuff, but wasn't he on-board by the first season? (Headhunted straight from his job at TGI Friday's as he says.)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mike is on the writing staff for The Crawling Eye, so he was there from the beginning on Comedy Channel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dawgstar posted:

When did Mike join? I don't believe he was part of the KTMA stuff, but wasn't he on-board by the first season? (Headhunted straight from his job at TGI Friday's as he says.)

He was brought in to type the scripts and they told him to throw in jokes along with the rest of the writers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They mentioned in the book, I think, that he was the only pro comedy writer they had on staff, hence the "head writer" label.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

does anyone know what the festival in beast of hollow mountain is? or was that part of the wedding

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 31, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

does anyone know what the festival in beast of hollow mountain is? or was that part of the wedding

I thought it was Hamilton?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17036/The-Beast-of-Hollow-Mountain/notes.html posted:

Copyright files also add that the Aztec festival of Mahvatl, which is shown in the wedding sequence, had never before been shown onscreen.
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17036/The-Beast-of-Hollow-Mountain/notes.html

Though that citation is all I can find of Mahvatl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's probably a real festival but the paperwork spelled it wrong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy New Year, cowtown puppet show likers. As Tommy Wiseau is to the flower store lady, this is my favorite thread on the forum.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I'm not sure if I heard it here but I read somewhere recently that Joel was very close to being cast as Kramer instead of Michael Richards and I can't stop thinking about that alternate timeline Seinfeld.

Happy new years!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
He was also in the running for Woody from Cheers.

Imagine the potential for a Frasier/MST3K crossover.

We missed out. We got a good deal overall, but it could have been an 11 out of 10 instead of a 10 out of 10.

There was a point where Joel was poised to become an actor and break into some big things. But if I recall, it just wasn't what he wanted. In the end, he made a great comedic franchise, so I feel like he made the right choices.

Except I still want Frasier on the satellite of love.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Another Bill posted:

I'm not sure if I heard it here but I read somewhere recently that Joel was very close to being cast as Kramer instead of Michael Richards and I can't stop thinking about that alternate timeline Seinfeld.

Happy new years!

That's kinda interesting. I wonder if that audition tape is out there. I remember seeing the ones for the cast I think when I watched some seinfeld documentary.
I found this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srvibM9fUU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

There was a point where Joel was poised to become an actor and break into some big things. But if I recall, it just wasn't what he wanted. In the end, he made a great comedic franchise, so I feel like he made the right choices.

Yeah, Joel was on Carson (or one of the big nighttime shows) and apparently got huge buzz off of it. My favorite's still Weird Al wanting him for Philo in UHF.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joel also showed up on SNL a couple of times just doing prop comedy bits. Back when they would just have comedians on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Joel also showed up on SNL a couple of times just doing prop comedy bits. Back when they would just have comedians on.

That's where I first saw him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I had no idea Joel had almost landed so many famous roles.

I guess we're that one weird-rear end parallel universe where Joel Freakin' Hodgson is somehow only known for one obscure nerd thing, instead of being the biggest star in Hollywood.

(Looks like in this universe a different obscure actor ended up with most of Hodgson's iconic roles; some nobody named Tom Hanks.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Joel did SNL and Letterman a few times back in the 1980s, and IIRC his reasoning for moving back to Minnesota at what was arguably the beginning of a potentially lucrative mainstream career was due to being unwilling to compromise on what he thought was funny.

As I recall, he was offered some sitcom or other (his own show, not a supporting role), and turned it down because he didn't like the material. The producers responded by basically just offering him more money, which offended his sensibilities, because they just figured he'd do it if they paid him enough, instead of him actually having qualms about doing a show he didn't think would be funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Probably ties into the mission statement for MST, wherein he always said they never worried about who was going to 'get' the show, just that the right people would.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As much as I love Woody Harrelson in that role, Joel would have made a great Woody.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dawgstar posted:

Happy New Year, cowtown puppet show likers. As Tommy Wiseau is to the flower store lady, this is my favorite thread on the forum.

Oh hai, dawgie.

(couldn't resist!)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dawgstar posted:

Probably ties into the mission statement for MST, wherein he always said they never worried about who was going to 'get' the show, just that the right people would.

I like that concept.

In fact, this is a good policy for living your life if you think about it. I mean, as long as you're not an rear end in a top hat.

But even then maybe it's best for the assholes to find each other

Welcome to the SA forums

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tom Hanks on the satellite of love would be something else.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Cemetry Gator posted:

He was also in the running for Woody from Cheers.

Imagine the potential for a Frasier/MST3K crossover.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Joel was on Carson (or one of the big nighttime shows) and apparently got huge buzz off of it. My favorite's still Weird Al wanting him for Philo in UHF.

So uuuhh I think maybe I misremembered these two things together and accidentally made up a rumor. My bad.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 1, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

So uuuhh I think maybe I misremembered these two things together and accidentally made up a rumor. My bad.

Naw, you're good. From a Slate interview:

Joel posted:

“A lot of people don’t know this, but I read for the part of Woody for Cheers,” Hodgson tells me by phone. “I don’t know if his name was Woody then, but, if it was, I should have known Woody Harrelson was going to get it, right?”

We missed the AU where Joel looks vaguely bored in an unnecessary Star Wars film.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd dearly love to see Tom Hanks riffing with the 'bots too :allears:.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

We missed the AU where Joel looks vaguely bored in an unnecessary Star Wars film.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Command and Conquer Remastered lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That just reminded me I've never played Darkstar: The Interactive Movie. Nor have I actually ever seen anyone play it, nor even heard of anyone playing it.