Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

- I struggle real hard with breaking and passing guard. Sometimes during free rolls I will spend the entire 3-5 minute round stuck in someone's guard, unable to pass. The only guard pass concept I have had success with is getting 1 or 2 of their legs on my shoulders. If I can get both arms underneath their legs that is great. Once someone's guard closes I don't really know what to do besides roll my hips, base out my knees and wait for them to do something. I hate standing up in someone's closed guard because they (higher belts especially) instantly use my stood-up leg to get a sweep.

Literally life-chaning advice I got yesterday

"getting in someone's guard is a bad thing"

I feel like as a white belt, at least for me, you sort of instinctively think guard is a thing you are supposed to get into since you learn so much stuff "from guard"

Have you been practicing knee slices? So far my three main go-tos from guard are

1. If there is a cross-collar grip, turn into the grip, extended same leg, apply pressure to opposite knee, knee slice
2. No collar grip, inside elbow base, rotate 90 degrees, isolate leg, knee slice
3. Stand up, come back down with knee inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Haha well, for the past month whenever we start to do free rolls I ask my partner if I can start in their guard, so I can practice getting out of it.

I guess here is a place to say that I wish all BJJ practice rolls started from the feet, I hate the start on knees crap and would rather just start in a position if we can’t do standing

I have tried the knee slice but am probably doing it wrong

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Just start on your feet.

The other dude can stay grounded or get up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I thought after being gone for a week from the gym I would roll like poo poo from stuffing myself during the break but low and behold I actually surprised myself and it was like the week off had little effect. I credit this due to learning how to breathe properly while rolling and making my movements very deliberate.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

- I struggle real hard with breaking and passing guard. Sometimes during free rolls I will spend the entire 3-5 minute round stuck in someone's guard, unable to pass. The only guard pass concept I have had success with is getting 1 or 2 of their legs on my shoulders. If I can get both arms underneath their legs that is great. Once someone's guard closes I don't really know what to do besides roll my hips, base out my knees and wait for them to do something. I hate standing up in someone's closed guard because they (higher belts especially) instantly use my stood-up leg to get a sweep.

Usually its bad to get caught in any guard. I got caught with a training partner of mine today in nogi that kept applying the lockdown while in half. I noticed that if you keep you leg up, the lockdown starts to become ineffective and you can work your pass. Look for opportunities (if from full guard) to setup guard passes by controlling your partner's arms. There are some pretty effective ones from full guard and they are pretty effective.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm teaching an intermediate gi class tomorrow. Wish me luck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Namaste hypnotize them with your black magics

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

What's on the lesson plan?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Friends, it is much easier to open your opponents closed guard from standing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Someone buy Abraham Marte an account quick

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Legit Shoah, at least at my school, there is no rule against starting from standing. Most dudes just don't do it because a. space and b. they want to work on ground technique without eating a bump every time.

But there are dudes who start from standing all the time at my place. If they are dudes I think I can handle from standing, I stand too. If not, I stay down and let them take that advantage at the start.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Friends, it is much easier to open your opponents closed guard from standing.

My ability to open the closed guard is transitioning to standing, but I think most of those techniques rely on controlling either your opponents arm(s) or upper body in some fashion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Watch high level competition, guard passing is damned hard. 80% of the game is trying to pass or trying to sweep from guard

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought you just used a can opener.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Standing up inside a closed guard should be a deliberate and cocky act. Show the person that they hosed up by letting you have posture and just stand up.

Standing in the closed guard is good. I'm just a nobody but I feel like a lot of newish people don't do it or don't pull the trigger properly because they're afraid it's not going to work.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I let people stand up in closed guard, because I find it way easier to go for omoplatas and sweeps and I'm too lazy to bother with the whole breaking posture thing

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMf-5-pGieE

I've been working this closed guard break a ton and have been successful against pretty much everyone with it (at breaking guard), just need to be careful with hiding the knees and keeping an ankle back when you stand up

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

starkebn posted:

Watch high level competition, guard passing is damned hard. 80% of the game is trying to pass or trying to sweep from guard

Yeah someone at my school said the same thing, the whole sport is about passing or regaining guard so don’t be too tough about sucking at one or both. It’s like a beginner basketball player being frustrated with their jump shot

Mel I’m gonna ask to start from standing more often

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Ended up teaching advanced problem solving on choke mechanics for the north south choke and the arm triangle.

If I cover another class I will continue with trouble shooting the back triangle and traditional triangle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

Ended up teaching advanced problem solving on choke mechanics for the north south choke and the arm triangle.

If I cover another class I will continue with trouble shooting the back triangle and traditional triangle.

I don't think I've ever actually finished a north-south choke in sparring, that's a good one to spend a class on.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is there any etiquitte for open mats?

Had a black belt show up and start ordering people around (You, roll with this guy. You, stop talking and fight.) and turned on the timer and started getting onto people.

A friend, and I, had specifically set aside time to come to that open mat and work on a couple of things with each other and nothing else. He's (the black belt) not an instructor at our gym, he just comes to train.

Would it be a major problem for me to just say "No, go away."?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Had a black belt show up and start ordering people around (You, roll with this guy. You, stop talking and fight.) and turned on the timer and started getting onto people.

A friend, and I, had specifically set aside time to come to that open mat and work on a couple of things with each other and nothing else. He's (the black belt) not an instructor at our gym, he just comes to train.

I wouldn't listen to someone that did this, not at my home gym anyway.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spacetoaster posted:

Open mats are there so that you can work on what you want with who you want. just tell the guy that you've planned something for your session already, just don't be surprised if he treats you like a prima donna afterwards.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

An mma guy did the trachea thumb choke on me to defend n/s choke for the first time ever, I felt ashamed after being so recently warned about it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That whole situation just seems so bizarre in the first place

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A random black belt just went to your open mat and started acting like he was the boss? That's hilarious.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think in some martial arts a black belt automatically makes you a master or instructor or “sir/ma’am” maybe that was his mentality sounds like a dick tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think in some martial arts a black belt automatically makes you a master or instructor or “sir/ma’am” maybe that was his mentality sounds like a dick tho

I feel like even if our instructor did that during open mat we would be like "gently caress this dude"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Lol gently caress that guy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

legit how sure are you the dude is actually a black belt and not a dude who just bought one and hopes no one calls him on it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Testing for my purple belt Jan 26th. At what point is it okay to frame your old belts?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

Testing for my purple belt Jan 26th. At what point is it okay to frame your old belts?

Mine just live in an other gym bag.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got a new job that pays well, and as a result I can afford to start up doing Judo once a week at a club close to me which I've been meaning to do for the last couple of years. So it'll be super fun being a white belt and not feeling like I need to actually know what I'm doing again!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I got a new job that pays well, and as a result I can afford to start up doing Judo once a week at a club close to me which I've been meaning to do for the last couple of years. So it'll be super fun being a white belt and not feeling like I need to actually know what I'm doing again!

BJJ to Judo is quite a leap when it comes to attitude, at least at our gym

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That whole situation just seems so bizarre in the first place

He's a very bizarre person to begin with. Or maybe just young. Moved to the city from another place and doesn't really interact with anyone (like in a personable way).

He's very good, I just think he's one of those dudes who has the attitude that BJJ is life and if you don't eat/drink/breath it you're a bad.

A lot of that stuff changes when you get married, get a full time job, and have several kids.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Someone should probably pull that guy aside and tell him to chill and or go get laid.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BJJ to Judo is quite a leap when it comes to attitude, at least at our gym

What's it like because my son is talking about trying Judo out after 2 years of BJJ.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spacetoaster posted:

What's it like because my son is talking about trying Judo out after 2 years of BJJ.

Your results may vary but judo is often more traditional. Bow to Sensei, do a kata that kind of thing.

Classes might be more structured too depending on your bjj gym experience.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I just gave my white belt to the club for other people to use when they forget theirs, and plan to do the same with the rest of my belts. I'm not the kind of person who needs to hang on to that sort of thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rolled with a visiting lady in no gi last night and was absolutely unprepared for how heavy and "powerful" (leverage and timing) she was. I found out later she's a purple belt instructor at another gym. It was my first personal experience with someone smaller than me just absolutely crushing me; I mean our head coach is also a lady, and a brown belt, but since I know what's what with her our rolls are framed differently right from the start.

Thinking about it a bit more, it's also that the purple was using more of a pressure game where the brown belt is all about movement; rolling with her feels like trying to hold on to one of those Andy Capp dust clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

You gotta call stuff japanese names, always fix your gi every time you reset, fix your gi with your back to the sensei, very specific way to bow

A lot of the traditional pageantry martial arts stuff