Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
25db through the walls is not the same as 25db at the source.

If the washing machine is putting >25db through the walls, that's the landlord's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
25 db is super quiet so it's probably not the landlord's problem, it's the problem of the guy running machines at 1 am. If it's 70+ (normal washing machine) at the source, 25 through the walls wouldn't be surprising at all.

I have a washing machine, sometimes I would love to wash things at 9 pm when I get in, but I don't because it's an rear end in a top hat move in an apartment building. If you don't have consideration and flexibility for other people, life is going to be long and hard.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anne Whateley posted:

25 db is super quiet so it's probably not the landlord's problem, it's the problem of the guy running machines at 1 am. If it's 70+ (normal washing machine) at the source, 25 through the walls wouldn't be surprising at all.

I have a washing machine, sometimes I would love to wash things at 9 pm when I get in, but I don't because it's an rear end in a top hat move in an apartment building. If you don't have consideration and flexibility for other people, life is going to be long and hard.

If he works night/split shifts. HE MIGHT NOT GET HOME TILL MIDNIGHT OR 4 AM. When is he supposed to do his laundry that suits you? After he goes to work in his unclean uniform?

If laundry noise is the worst thing your neighbour does you are very lucky.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you seriously want me to post this for the third time? Last time I even bolded it for you.

Anne Whateley posted:

The point is that in apartment living, you need to be a little flexible and thoughtful to coexist. Neighbor cannot do laundry at 1 am. That doesn't mean he needs to reverse his whole schedule and do it at noon. It means maybe he throws it on when he leaves for work instead of when he gets home, or maybe he does it on weekends, or maybe his partner with a normal schedule does it outside of quiet hours.

Blackchamber posted:

From what I can figure this guy gets home late at night and stays awake all morning (I can see his TV on and lights (plus the stomping walk) as I get into my car to go to work.
If the neighbor is reasonable, the solution is as simple as:

"Hey man, I can hear your washing machine, which is fine during the day but it wakes me up at 1 am. Would you mind waiting to run it when you're home and up at like 8 or 9?"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is everyone missing or intentionally ignoring this one point? Sure a washing machine does not make that much noise under normal circumstances, but something is wrong with this machine, causing it to produce significantly more noise, in the neighboring apartment, than you would usually expect.

Besides, even if it's "technically legal" and "technically allowed under house rules", it's just common courtesy to try to avoid doing something that disturbs your neighbors.
Just because "some noise is to be expected" when living in an apartment, that doesn't mean you have an obligation to produce noise for everyone else to listen to.

Invite your neighbor to start a washing program like he runs at night, and then visit your apartment. Ask him about the noise from his machine. Reasonable people exist in this world, and this person might not actually be aware the building construction is apparently amplifying the machine's noise, into a neighboring apartment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe it's not a washing machine

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I didn't know the ordinance personally, so I looked it up since so many people are interested in it. It seems the person who told me about it was mistaken (hes a volunteer policeman so I just assumed he knew correctly) but the maximum db during quiet hours is actually 50db, apparently the level of a conversation in a restaurant or tv in the background looking at some charts on google search. The 25 figure I'm guessing he was thinking of was the ordinance on how far sound can travel from its source, 25ft from the source. I know this has been a major point of contention with this debate, how loud can a person be during quiet hours. I'm sorry I gave bad info out to start.

I got curious about what the average db level of a washing machine is and found this: "As a general rule washing machine spin cycles range from about 60 dB to 80 dB. If you find a machine at 60 dB that really is about as good as you can get. One thing to bear in mind is that if you’re looking at the budget end of the market the cheaper machines tend to be noisier than more expensive models. There are some fantastic cheap models on the market but they tend to pack in a huge amount of features for a relatively small amount of money and sound proofing features are a bridge too far."

nielsm posted:

Reasonable people exist in this world, and this person might not actually be aware the building construction is apparently amplifying the machine's noise, into a neighboring apartment.

The washing machine is situated in the center of the apartments, in a tiny closet. I started my machine on the light cycle to see if I could produce the same level of percussive noise and vibration in the walls his does, and mine does not. Going by an app on my phone and measuring in my bedroom with the door closed: over 60db for the wash and rinse cycles, and over 80db for the spin which appears average. I'm not sure why I can hear their machine so clearly or why it vibrates the walls so well... I mean besides the fact that it sits on my roof basically.

zapplez posted:

If he works night/split shifts. HE MIGHT NOT GET HOME TILL MIDNIGHT OR 4 AM. When is he supposed to do his laundry that suits you? After he goes to work in his unclean uniform?

Its been brought up a lot what his schedule might be and that people think I can't understand what thats like. I work swings and split shifts myself so I understand what its like to get home at 4am, I know what its like to get off after a shift and do a quick turn and be back in 8 hours for another shift and trying to sleep while the rest of the world is awake but I don't get home at 4am and start my laundry and I don't ask my neighbors to please be quiet during the daytime so I can sleep. I do my laundry, run the dishwasher, and sacrifice some sleep to go to the store when I need things all during day. Hes already ahead of me on that apparently because it seems like his wife has started to do the laundry for him and neither of my cats have stepped up and taken on any of my chores.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A lot of places will have quiet hours, 10pm to 6am or something, where you're not supposed to do things like laundry or have loudish music or whatever. And this is why. If your community has it, then ask them to enforce it. If not, you're boned.

Yes we do. I already tried the person to person approach, then went to the management office. Asking them to enforce it by sending him a letter apparently made me unreasonable and insensitive to the working man's plight.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Gooncave & Gardens: Washing Machine Thunderdome

I lean toward replace the washing machine, befriend neighbor, convince to do laundry early.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Speaking of noise, I want to reduce the amount of noise I hear from a TV on the other side of my bedroom wall, which is shared with another apartment. There aren't a ton of good options, but the one I might go with is buying a big rear end california king comforter (or multiple smaller ones) and hanging it on the offending wall. I've been looking into it and apparently thickness and density are the keys here, so...polyester? Multiple layers of thinner sheets? Foam panels probably wouldn't do it since they're not dense enough, they'd be what I'd use on my side of the wall if I was the noise generator. I know it's not going to block all noise but I'm hoping for just enough absorption so the white noise from my desk fan covers it when I sleep. Plus, that wall is mostly bare and needs some kind of decoration.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

you might find its cheaper to buy moving pads from Amazon or Harbor Frieght Tools and layer them for the same effect, then a more decorative fabric or blanket on the top layer for looks.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

redgubbinz posted:

Speaking of noise, I want to reduce the amount of noise I hear from a TV on the other side of my bedroom wall, which is shared with another apartment. There aren't a ton of good options, but the one I might go with is buying a big rear end california king comforter (or multiple smaller ones) and hanging it on the offending wall. I've been looking into it and apparently thickness and density are the keys here, so...polyester? Multiple layers of thinner sheets? Foam panels probably wouldn't do it since they're not dense enough, they'd be what I'd use on my side of the wall if I was the noise generator. I know it's not going to block all noise but I'm hoping for just enough absorption so the white noise from my desk fan covers it when I sleep. Plus, that wall is mostly bare and needs some kind of decoration.

is it not an option to put a bookshelf against that wall? 10" thick of paperbacks is highly insulating. Curtains would probably be easier to hang than a comforter and probably more attractive as well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I also recall seeing a video where a guy made homemade baffles by stretching fabric over a large frame and filling the backside with layers of old and cheap towels.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hmm, moving blankets might work better, and since they're tough I bet I can just use regular picture nails, enough of em to distribute the weight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please do not hang loving moving carpets on your walls. you lunatic. you absolute madman.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

please do not hang loving moving carpets on your walls. you lunatic. you absolute madman.

k

e: yeah, I did a mockup in photoshop of what it'd look like and yikes. I'll just deal with it, it's very intermittent and if it gets bad again I'll just talk to them...again. Most solutions seem focused on preventing noise from escaping, not entering your room, and even then it's extremely minimal.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 22, 2018

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
buy a tasteful persian rug and hang that from your wall instead

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad I live on the top floor of my building.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

NaanViolence posted:

Oh god the heat in the summer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Continuing the "getting rid of my table" saga: I'd like some non-bachelor-chic chairs to use in my very small living room as well; I was looking at these from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/Mission-Wood-Folding-Chair-2-pack.product.100368435.html

They look pretty good, seem likely to support my fat rear end, and fold up for easy storage since they likely wouldn't see a ton of use. Are there better alternatives? Almost certainly going to be used with this:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290221/?query=NORDEN

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

NaanViolence posted:

I have 1 layer above me and I loving hate my upstairs with a passions. They are the god drat worst. Stop slamming doors, dropping things, drilling after 20:00, and getting into screaming matches.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

toplitzin posted:

Lower heating bills in winter, though!

Washing machine thunderdomechat: I live right under the laundry room for my building. It actually works out well since washer/dryer noises are more bearable than random upstairs neighbor noises. The downside is that I get to be the canary in the coalmine whenever something fucks up and starts leaking.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

toplitzin posted:

It's a three story building. All seasons are comfortable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I need help. I've been at my new place for a month and change and my landlord has turned out to be a really intrusive rear end in a top hat. Tonight he sent an email saying he's planning on using the two spare rooms in the house for Airbnb. It was written in my lease that there was a possibility for Airbnb at a later time but nothing concrete. I've made it clear with him that I don't want Airbnb. Well two of my roommates who signed before I did don't have any Airbnb stipulations in their leases and both of them are moving out before November ends. I don't want to be tied to a sinking ship thanks to my lease and if they leave that leaves me with the creepy basement tenant and the landlord who takes three days to change the lock on one door.

So I want out. I've already paid first and last as well as November's rent, but the landlord says he wants to start the Airbnb in December and I absolutely do not want to be in the house when that happens. I'm back to looking at houses and I hope I can line something up. If push comes to shove and I draw the ultimatum of Airbnb or my lease, is there any way I can break my lease and get my last month's deposit back presuming I can swing moving out before December? I know about the 60 days notice but he's springing this poo poo on us at 9:40pm via e-mail so if there's any way I can escape I'll take it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You are probably still on the hook, even if the landlord didn't put a concrete date when he'd be making your building an AirBnB, simply because he isn't required to unless he wrote another clause on there that the lease could be terminated if he didn't run a date past you first. He told you it might become one, you signed a lease with that stipulation assuming it wouldn't happen, and things didn't go the way you expected, thats not really on him is it? Agreed a really lovely situation when any weirdo could show up and have run of the place/common areas.

Maybe he does AirBnB for a little while and then it becomes too much of a hassle for him to clean up after guests or he doesn't get enough people staying there to consistently get the money he would if he had actual full-time tenants and he will end it. Hell, speed things along and have your friends stay there one night as guests and have them wreck the place.

Best case, he agrees to let you out of the lease.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the wording that is confusing me. This is how he ended the email:

"However, if this is not your thing, then feel free to give me notice. I plan to start opening the house to the AirBnB experience this coming December 2018."

Does that mean give notice of our desire to not have Airbnb or does that mean "it's happening anyways if you don't like it give me notice so you can cancel your lease"?

Is there anything I can do because my housemates' leases don't have anything about Airbnb in them?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 13, 2018

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It sounds like, despite the lease saying its going to be an AirBnB at some point, hes going to let you decide to stay or leave anyways. You could ask him for clarification on that and you should.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the housemates leases only apply to the people who are named in them? He isn't evicting them from what I can figure, hes just offering to let them out of the lease if they don't want that situation, and as far as I know and IANAL, you are probably renting the room and the other parts of the place are common areas which he retains control of, if thats true the only parts of the house he can't do as he pleases with are the ones you've leased.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I've decided to leave. I've spoken with the two housemates who are already moving out and they've shown me a shitload of passive aggressive emails he's sent them. If they're gone, I'm gone too. I can put up with a bad landlord if I like the tenants, but if the tenants leave and I'm stuck with a jerk, I have no reason to stick around.

I've got two viewings tomorrow and if they go well I'm going to see if I can get my last month's rent back and move out before November's finished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Update. I messaged my landlord requesting the termination of my lease and I made sure everyone else in the house was forwarded the email as well, just in case he decided to play a game of "he said she said". I argued that I haven't been comfortable with his constant presence in the house infringing on my privacy, and that giving 18 days notice of a major change like introducing AirBnb is insufficient for me to give a 60 days notice. I've managed to wrangle back my deposit and he's accepted that I will be gone by the end of the month. So, whether I find another place or not, I still managed to get my money back and get out of a potential housing hell situation.

KoB
May 1, 2009
He might be a lovely landlord but he seems reasonable at least.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
How do you all feel about older buildings without fire sprinklers? I just realized that an apartment building I just submitted a rental application for does not have fire sprinklers, since it was built in the 70's. I've previously only lived in newish apartment buildings which have had fire sprinklers so I'm not sure if this should be a deal breaker particularly since I have infant aged daughter. It is an 18 story condo building and is otherwise pretty nice and well managed by the condo board.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

laxbro posted:

How do you all feel about older buildings without fire sprinklers? I just realized that an apartment building I just submitted a rental application for does not have fire sprinklers, since it was built in the 70's. I've previously only lived in newish apartment buildings which have had fire sprinklers so I'm not sure if this should be a deal breaker particularly since I have infant aged daughter. It is an 18 story condo building and is otherwise pretty nice and well managed by the condo board.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

laxbro posted:

This is like a pure goon post where the answer is blaringly obvious but you can’t give it because it won’t be heard.

I’ll bite: hard no to that building.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
My place is also old and doesn't have sprinklers. But I'm only on the 2nd floor so it's ok right? :shepface:

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Justin Godscock posted:

This is like a pure goon post where the answer is blaringly obvious but you can’t give it because it won’t be heard.

I’ll bite: hard no to that building.

Yea I backed out of signing the lease at the last minute. I’m overpaying for what I have now but at least there’s no risk of a tower inferno.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
In addition to black mold and a failing gas system my apartment now seems to have an ant problem. gently caress this place.

About 48 hours ago I noticed a few ants on the carpet near the brick wall that forms one side of my apartment. I put out a few terro liquid ant bait traps and by the next morning one of the four traps I put out had a bunch of dead ants in it. I assumed that even more had crawled out of the trap to bring the poison back to their colony. They only ever seemed interested in one of the traps though. In the 48 hours since then I've seen 1-2 ants ever few hours on the carpet about 3-4 feet away from where the successful trap was placed wandering aimlessly. Last night I placed another trap in the area I've seen them wandering around in but they didn't seem to have any interest in it.

How long does it normally take for ants to die off completely once they've discovered a borox trap? Should I be concerned that they've found another source of food and will be back once they've exhausted it? I'd rather not get my landlord involved because they tend to be incompetent fuckwits in regards to this sort of thing and I'd rather not have them messing with dangerous chemicals in my living space.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
They swarm it, take the goods back, and the colony dies... takes a couple days to a week.

They always pick one they like and ignore the other. I don't know what's up with that. You can move it around, sometimes it's more attractive somewhere else.

I usually put them somewhere out of sight and then leave them there. Seems like the ants go away after a week but I leave the trap out a few more weeks just to catch any stragglers.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So last night I put a cutting board with a wide array of ant delicacies on it right where I've been seeing them. I put down honey, peanut butter, sugar water, bait, and even some strawberry's in an attempt to get them to come out of their hole and start feeding on it so I could tell where they're coming from. Over a period of about an hour 10 or so ants wandered by and helped themselves to the food but there was never any major activity that helped me find where the nest is. Part of me hopes that's a sign that the majority of the nest is now dead but I'm not convinced because I'm still seeing 2-3 stragglers on the carpet every time I come into the room. There's been a crap load of rainfall and over 2 feet of snow melt in the last 48 hours so there's a decent chance their nest has been flooded out and who knows what that's going to do.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This looks like a good a place as any for my question; if there's a dedicated appliance shopping megathread somewhere, feel free to direct me towards it. I live in a tiny urban apartment with no laundry. Nearest laundromat is about as far away as my parents' house so I've been taking it up there on the occasional weekend, or just washing small loads directly in the bathtub. Recently I've come across some "portable" washing machines that look like a good fit for my situation. However the reviews for most of these seem to be filled with instructions on how to "actually" use them since they don't work as expected and/or come with little to no instructions. I'm pretty sure I can handle my own laundry, but that pattern does leave me with some reservations.

Budget: $100-200, lower better but willing to go a bit higher for something of better quality.
Space: No room to have it permanently "installed" anywhere - these look to be a good size to park in an unused corner of my kitchen and then haul into the bathtub to run a load. The 30-50 pounds they seem to average isn't a problem for me. And I understand they're not really going to be big enough to handle towels, sheets, rugs, etc.
Power/Water: As mentioned I plan on lugging it into the bathtub to run it.

So the questions:

0) First off, has anyone used one of this type of machine? Is it a good idea, or should I just start keeping a roll of quarters around for the laundromat?

1) I haven't been able to find any B&M retailers that sell these things, and I'd at least like to get a hands-on look at one before buying. Any idea where to look IRL for something like this? Tried sears, best buy, and home depot so far.

2) Would something like this have any resale value after being used for a year or two? In case I don't renew my lease and move to a place with on-site laundry, having this around with no use would probably be more of a liability than anything.

3) And I guess any other considerations? I know I'm going to have to figure out some sort of filling system (dumping water in by buckets or letting the shower just rain into it seem to be popular) but I'm sure there's a bunch of things I haven't even thought about.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You should probably double-check your lease to see if it has anything to say about this; pretty much everywhere I have ever rented has had a line forbidding things like waterbeds and portable washers because of the risk that a tenant is going to gently caress up and flood the place with a cheap/improperly connected appliance. I understand you're planning on sticking it in the tub to avoid that sort of thing, but you probably want to know in case someone is doing maintenance or something and sees it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't see anything prohibiting it explicitly, and there's a provision in there that I'm responsible for any damage caused by water resulting from appliances that aren't part of the building, so that would seem to cover it. I'll ask anyway when I drop off my rent, I have a decent relationship with my landlord and he's been extremely flexible with other things before.