Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

God I wish they all had this, I'd buy one of the lit-up PGs and use it as a slightly less trashy version of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.

There's a site called Battery Eliminator that converts multiple AAs to USB power, but it's stupidly overpriced (kit for 4 AAs for $60), but there's a lot of how-tos on making one.

There seem to be cheaper ones on Amazon, and there are alternatives that are just straight AC adapters. I'd totally buy drop-in AC or USB replacements from Bandai if they sold them. Be nice to run both of my Unicorns and the Exia off a USB hub. They're all 4 AAs, or 6v, so you can't just solder a USB cable to the battery terminals or whatever.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i got a HG Build Strike Galaxy Cosmos at Barnes & Noble on impulse

can i just say, gently caress these stupid goddamn shoulder spike pieces oh my GOD

the one that hangs down and articulates a little went in fine. the rigid one that juts out, however? holy gently caress, i have absolutely no idea how this thing is even meant to go on the other pieces. the instruction book just points one piece at the other with a weird little wavy line, which up to this point has been simple and obvious, but in this case is about as helpful as trying to teach a chimp to do calculus because the parts do not fit together in any obvious way and the bit on the sprue doesn't even look 100% like the drawing so i can like, figure out how to turn the stupid thing so it's in the right position.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i got a HG Build Strike Galaxy Cosmos at Barnes & Noble on impulse

can i just say, gently caress these stupid goddamn shoulder spike pieces oh my GOD

the one that hangs down and articulates a little went in fine. the rigid one that juts out, however? holy gently caress, i have absolutely no idea how this thing is even meant to go on the other pieces. the instruction book just points one piece at the other with a weird little wavy line, which up to this point has been simple and obvious, but in this case is about as helpful as trying to teach a chimp to do calculus because the parts do not fit together in any obvious way and the bit on the sprue doesn't even look 100% like the drawing so i can like, figure out how to turn the stupid thing so it's in the right position.

Go to dalong.net look at the kit you have. If it's hard/weird he might have a photo showing how it's supposed to fit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I looked up the manual on Hobby Search and I don't think the waviness of the line is for any purpose other than saving diagram space. It looks like there should be a tiny rectangular peg on the sides of the spike that sit in a recess on the shoulder piece. Looking at the placement of the piece on the runner though, I'm guessing you accidentally trimmed the pegs off.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

In London for the day and I found a place in Camden Market that has a pretty good selection of kits. No RG Tallgeese or Sazaby (or however you spell it) though.

Pictures are a little crap but if anyone has any suggestions on what I should pick up before I go home then I'd love to hear them.

And for some reason my timg tags aren't working. I guess the Android Awful app was adding url tags for some reason?

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veotax posted:

In London for the day and I found a place in Camden Market that has a pretty good selection of kits. No RG Tallgeese or Sazaby (or however you spell it) though.

Pictures are a little crap but if anyone has any suggestions on what I should pick up before I go home then I'd love to hear them.

[timg] https://i.lensdump.com/i/AN6n2c.jpg[/timg]
[timg] https://i.lensdump.com/i/AN6LeZ.jpg[/timg]

And for some reason my timg tags aren't working.

Remove the [url] tags :ssh:.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They keep getting added automatically. : (

Phone posting so who gives a poo poo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Probably too late but of the RGs there:

Aile Strike is fairly decent, it lacks some of the improvements that came later in the series like fixed hands and the Aile will make it awkward to pose without an action base but you can get the Skygrasper kit for the different weapon loadouts.

Johnny Ridden Zaku, or any RG Zaku is probably gonna be a royal pain in the rear end if you're not used RG sized parts as the pipes are quite an involving process.

Astray Red Frame is a nice simple RG without too many gimmicky bits but the Astray aesthetic rubs some people the wrong way.

I haven't made Wing but I have made Wing Zero which shares most of the parts. They hold their gigantic weapons a lot better than the older MGs and the transform is simple enough that it doesn't mess with the structure. Should be ok if you like wings?

Unicorn is… hmm. I think I'd just say no, you're probably not gonna have a good time with that.

Edit: There's fancy coated Astray Blue and Red Frames as well but they're probably not worth the markup and coatings are pretty iffy anyway.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 5, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah. Unfortunately I just got off the train home but I'll keep that stuff in mind next time I'm in the area.

Thanks

Edit: I do rather like the look of the Astray and I had my eye on it but I heard that earlier RGs are a bit iffy or something around the limbs so I wasn't sure about picking it up without looking at a review.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veotax posted:

Yeah. Unfortunately I just got off the train home but I'll keep that stuff in mind next time I'm in the area.

Thanks

Check the price on that Gold Coating Phenex. Any box like that that isn't coloured is a P-Bandai kit.

Other good HG kits in that pile (though all of them are pretty decent);

• Kampfer Amazing
  • HGCE Freedom Gundam
  • Leopard Da Vinci
  • Wing Gundam Zero Honoo

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the price on that Gold Coating Phenex. Any box like that that isn't coloured is a P-Bandai kit.

Other good HG kits in that pile (though all of them are pretty decent);

• Kampfer Amazing
  • HGCE Freedom Gundam
  • Leopard Da Vinci
  • Wing Gundam Zero Honoo

I haven’t done the others, but I can speak for the Wing Zero Honoo. It’s a really fun kit with minimal stickers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a package today!

Featuring: blatant false advertising! (Big Volfogg is not in this box.)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not always though, they also use that style for some event exclusives and clear versions.

Veotax posted:

Thanks

Edit: I do rather like the look of the Astray and I had my eye on it but I heard that earlier RGs are a bit iffy or something around the limbs so I wasn't sure about picking it up without looking at a review.

They nailed the RG formula around 07 so everything after that is fairly solid unless it's something that transforms or the Sinanju. The early ones aren't irredeemable though, they just react very poorly to being touched in any way and tend to disintegrate in protest :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That Camden Market place actually has a really good selection. Nice spread of old/new, good/bad, various franchises and for some reason a Psycho Gundam 10/10

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

RillAkBea posted:

Probably too late but of the RGs there:

Aile Strike is fairly decent, it lacks some of the improvements that came later in the series like fixed hands and the Aile will make it awkward to pose without an action base but you can get the Skygrasper kit for the different weapon loadouts.

Johnny Ridden Zaku, or any RG Zaku is probably gonna be a royal pain in the rear end if you're not used RG sized parts as the pipes are quite an involving process.

Astray Red Frame is a nice simple RG without too many gimmicky bits but the Astray aesthetic rubs some people the wrong way.

I haven't made Wing but I have made Wing Zero which shares most of the parts. They hold their gigantic weapons a lot better than the older MGs and the transform is simple enough that it doesn't mess with the structure. Should be ok if you like wings?

Unicorn is… hmm. I think I'd just say no, you're probably not gonna have a good time with that.

Edit: There's fancy coated Astray Blue and Red Frames as well but they're probably not worth the markup and coatings are pretty iffy anyway.

RG Zakus are also notorious for casting flaws on the pipe cores. I'd never go near another one again, as my last one had two broken pipes on the sprue.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Finished up this bad boi today.

MJH Eva 01. I guess MJH is the new Dragon Momoko? It's SD-proportioned, but about HG-sized. It looks really nice, 0 stickers, LED eyes, only about $20. Vaguely UV-reactive colors, but I couldn't get the camera to capture that very well.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot again. He rocks!

https://imgur.com/a/QPyuKul

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RillAkBea posted:

I looked up the manual on Hobby Search and I don't think the waviness of the line is for any purpose other than saving diagram space. It looks like there should be a tiny rectangular peg on the sides of the spike that sit in a recess on the shoulder piece. Looking at the placement of the piece on the runner though, I'm guessing you accidentally trimmed the pegs off.

i'm pretty sure you're right, which means i pretty much gave Barnes and Noble $20 so i could get very mad at a bunch of plastic nubs

:cripes:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So I've ordered the RG Tallgeese and also decided gently caress it and ordered some waterslides made for the kit. Should I be using some kind of decal solution if I'm not painting or top coating the kit?

The airbrushing a top coat thing didn't work out for me so I'm just going to hold off on any kind of painting until I move in a few months and hope I have better a ventilated space for it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Veotax posted:

So I've ordered the RG Tallgeese and also decided gently caress it and ordered some waterslides made for the kit. Should I be using some kind of decal solution if I'm not painting or top coating the kit?

The airbrushing a top coat thing didn't work out for me so I'm just going to hold off on any kind of painting until I move in a few months and hope I have better a ventilated space for it.

So, uh, how you planning on protecting those water slides after they are applied?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No idea! I'm a complete novice at this! They were like five bucks or something, I don't care too much if I end up using them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

No idea! I'm a complete novice at this! They were like five bucks or something, I don't care too much if I end up using them.

A top coat spray runs pretty cheap, which is essential for protecting your decals and paint. Otherwise it’ll start to rub off over time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I know, I just have nowhere to spray it. I'm in a tiny apartment with no ventilation so I'm forgoing it for now until I move in a few months.

If it's that vital for waterslides then I'll hold off on using them until then.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Veotax posted:

I know, I just have nowhere to spray it. I'm in a tiny apartment with no ventilation so I'm forgoing it for now until I move in a few months.

If it's that vital for waterslides then I'll hold off on using them until then.

It pretty much is. Waterslides are incredibly fragile, if you think about them too hard they'll tear.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

EVGA Longoria posted:

It pretty much is. Waterslides are incredibly fragile, if you think about them too hard they'll tear.

Ask me about the massive decal on the PG Banshee shield :suicide:

In other news.... I think I'll be getting some serious mileage out of this technique...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know I've become a old lazy modeller since I two dry transfer decals that I put on the mk 2's legs were crooked and instead of stripping the and repainting it, I'm just going "gently caress it" and leaving it.

Doing this has been better for my sanity.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I... I started using stickers... and since I'm usually far enough away from them, I don't notice them. It's me. I've become the disgusting casual.

Also tomorrow my in-laws are going back home so I can use my hobby room to spray again!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know youve properly ventilated your room but I have a funny image in my head of you putting up your in laws in a room where they're just constantly huffing residual paint fumes and hallucinating about all of your models coming to life.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xaerael posted:

Ask me about the massive decal on the PG Banshee shield :suicide:

In other news.... I think I'll be getting some serious mileage out of this technique...

Nice. Black, then some....magic paint? It looks really good whatever you are doing

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice. Black, then some....magic paint? It looks really good whatever you are doing

Matte Black, Gloss Black Enamel, Alclad II Chrome, Tamiya Clear Red.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Xaerael posted:

Matte Black, Gloss Black Enamel, Alclad II Chrome, Tamiya Clear Red.

What's your drying time between coats?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Why the matte black and then gloss black? From what I remember Alclad only needs the gloss.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Monaghan posted:

Why the matte black and then gloss black? From what I remember Alclad only needs the gloss.

My guess is the matte black is the primer they're using

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Gloss over BanDai plastic is horrible (it'll refuse to cover at edges and look like crap). It needs a solid matte base underneath it, and it has to be a dark colour for the Alclad to do it's magic.

Puddin posted:

What's your drying time between coats?

Long. I've been leaving it at least a day on the blacks. Though Alclad dries almost instantly, so that expedites one layer at least.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xaerael posted:

Gloss over BanDai plastic is horrible (it'll refuse to cover at edges and look like crap). It needs a solid matte base underneath it, and it has to be a dark colour for the Alclad to do it's magic.

Primer wouldn't make a difference?

I'm just surprised, I've used Alclad with tamiya primer, gloss black and it's been fine.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Primer wouldn't make a difference?

I'm just surprised, I've used Alclad with tamiya primer, gloss black and it's been fine.

Primer's something I've never found critical on BanDai plastic. I generally use Halfords Matte acrylic rattlecans as a stand in for primers.

One thing a lot of people don't know is BanDai's ABS plastic is problematic when you paint it (they actually straight up tell you to not paint ABS parts in many manuals), and a lot of primers have solvents in them that can cause ABS to go brittle.

The *best* way to Alclad (and the way I originally learned) is to use a two part gloss resin lacquer spraygunned over a black base, but it seems a gently caress ton of effort to do for a few little pieces. (fun fact: after the Chroming factory Stan Winston used shut down, they actually used this method with Alclad chrome for the T800s in Terminator 2+3)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Also, gently caress it. I'll share a secret.

If you're feeling flush, and want a super-pro finish like I got on my Banshee's gun barrels, use this:

https://www.mouldlife.net/pro-chrome-3783-p.asp

Note: this is a lot harder to use than Alclad, and MUST have a perfect flawless black enamel base under it!

This is what SFX companies currently use to emulate metal. Iron Man Mk1+2, recent Predator masks, Terminators from Salvation and beyond, pretty much every prop that's been made to look like metal.

Depending on what finish you have before you put the material on dictated the end look. You can pretty much get everything from dull iron to a perfect mirror.

It's bloody hard to use at times though, compared to Alclad. Practice first.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Is there a reason you're using an enamel black gloss?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

The Lacquer in high shine metallizers doesn't bond to acrylic very well, and has a habit of rubbing off over time (when cleaning, posing, etc). I just use a good quality automotive enamel rattlecan in as dust-free room as I can. The best way is the two part resin lacquer route, but that's crazy expensive and wasteful for such small parts, and requires me to set up a spraygun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Full color reveal for HG Destiny

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1082822425237057536?s=19

Looks good, especially if those effect parts are in the box.