Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CapnBry posted:

I built my own little thrust test stand last night out of parts I had on hand for comparing some motor output. I was going to switch to OneShot125 to control the ESC so I can get serial telemetry from blheli_32 but I've had an incredibly long googling session turn up exactly zero documents about the protocol timing. There have to be several hundred sites that explain how OneShot125/42 and MultiShot use shorter pulse lengths, but nothing about any sort of refresh period. If I send a 125us OneShot pulse or 25uS multishot pulse and then never send another pulse again ever, will the ESC just run at 100% until the battery dies? Or do I need to send out refreshes at 1kHz or more to keep it running?
There's probably a time-out. Not sure what it is, probably just a few cycles of 50hz, which seems to be the slowest rate I've seen with regular PWM (--edit: 1-2ms pulsing).

CapnBry posted:

It is most convenient for me to use an atmega32u4 at 16MHz and would rather use MCU cycles to do fun stuff rather than trying to run balls to the wall all the time to refresh at several kilohertz. From looking around it seems that the only specifications are that there are pulses of Xus which are sent at flight controller loop speed, but nothing about dead time interval mins and maxes.
Don't AVR have periodic timers? Set one up in output compare mode to generate the OneShot125 signal, and update it as throttle values change. Takes no MCU time when it's running on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Welp, I felt dumb last night. I'm trying out a 1/12th 4wd off road car for FPV. Took apart the front diff to lube and smooth any gears. Put it back together, and it was locked up. Took it apart, and just the pinion gear on by itself was locking up in the case. Turned out I put 14mm screws where 12mm go, and that extra 2mm had pushed through the case into the gear. Opps.

3D printer came in handy as well when I needed a small washer/shim behind a bearing. 9mm diameter at 0.12mm isn't much trouble to print.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's probably a time-out. Not sure what it is, probably just a few cycles of 50hz, which seems to be the slowest rate I've seen with regular PWM (--edit: 1-2ms pulsing).

Don't AVR have periodic timers? Set one up in output compare mode to generate the OneShot125 signal, and update it as throttle values change. Takes no MCU time when it's running on its own.
Yeah I suppose I could just figure it out experimentally and see where BLHeli_32 starts cutting out. I'm not sure why I was so fixated on finding a timing spec considering I'll probably only ever use one ESC in this thrust stand. I was also thinking it would be difficult to inject the 30uS pulse to trigger the telemetry dump without possibly disrupting an in-progress throttle pulse but I can just count the overflow interrupts and force a 30uS pulse instead of a throttle pulse for one cycle out of every 200 or so assuming the ESC doesn't need to be refreshed every loop period.

Thanks for putting my feet back on the ground, I was clearly having a bad programmer brain day yesterday.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
It was pretty easy to set up a OneShot125 signal from code at 2kHz (or 1953.125Hz) and have it request telemetry with a 30uS pulse every 256 cycles (telemetry update at 7.8125Hz). My Code Here (gist)

It didn't work though. I could calibrate the ESC and control the motor no problem but no data on the telemetry line. That's when I saw in the BLHeli_32 manual it says "telemetry can only be requested via Dshot or Proshot" (sad trombone). Since even the slowest DSHOT150 is too fast for the atmega328 (I can only get up to 62.5KHz using hardware timers) I resolved to get up this morning to learn how to program STM32 DMA so I could write a DSHOT implementation. Before I got started I thought I'd make sure I had the latest BLHeli_32 firmware on the ESC. When I upgraded it, holy smokes they added Auto Telemetry in Rev32.6. Turned that on and I don't have to DSHOT at all because it just continuously sends telemetry every 32ms. Project done!
  • Aikon AK32 SEFM 35Amp 2-6S ESC Speed Control W/ BLHeli_32 $12
  • 5kg load cell and HX711 ADC $4
  • Arduino Nano $4
  • 3D printed stand $1
  • Button / potentiometer / wire / screws $2
  • Total cost: $22 (although I had everything except the ESC so the total cost of the project for me was $12)
I get the full deal for that too: Force, ESC Voltage / Current, RPM, and Temperature. I will say I need to design a better stand. It is terrifying to have a small piece of plastic clamped to your desk with a spinning blade of death pushing out 1000g of wind force.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CapnBry posted:

It is terrifying to have a small piece of plastic clamped to your desk with a spinning blade of death pushing out 1000g of wind force.

Clamped?

https://youtu.be/4X9TDexgA74

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Autotelemetry? Did they change the format to include motor number, or is the expectation to have an UART for each ESC?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

is the expectation to have an UART for each ESC?
There’s no way. Also isn’t it designed for literally 1 wire common to all motors?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, yea. You set the telemetry bit on the ESC you want to poll, and you get data back on a shared UART. I'm not sure how you're supposed to discern between the motors with autotelemetry. Apart from summing up current use, I don't see a point in autotelemetry.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, yea. You set the telemetry bit on the ESC you want to poll, and you get data back on a shared UART. I'm not sure how you're supposed to discern between the motors with autotelemetry. Apart from summing up current use, I don't see a point in autotelemetry.
It just seems like a dumb way to go about things when enabling shared autotelemetry. Just embed a UID or something.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah exactly, you definitely would have it off on a multirotor because there's no way to tell who sent the telemetry data, and you'd also need to sync the autotelemetry in some way to prevent two motors from trying to talk at the same time. TTL serial media access layer needed!

I'm not sure what the use case is for autotelemetry but it is perfect for this application, no analog measurements required and no extra tach sensor. I could see it being a work-around for wanting to get telemetry but having trouble with the length of the run for DSHOT. The protocol is only 115.2kbaud so there should be fewer transmission errors and also you can probably drop half the packets or more and still have a pretty complete picture of what's going on at the ESC. You still wouldn't enable it on more than one motor though unless you got UARTs for miles.

EDIT: And this is what the semi-finished thrust stand looks like. The potentiometer is manual mode and if you hold the button for 2 seconds it starts an automated sweep test 20% to 100% throttle in 10% increments. You have to keep the button held through the test (which takes about 8 seconds) as sort of a deadman switch in case things start getting out of hand. The CSV is just dumped out the USB serial port and I can copy paste the data into a spreadsheet.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 21, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

So I'm wrapping up something that I had been wanting to do for a while, a winter trip to the desert to hike and goof off but also... FPV. I brought two planes, ended up having issues with one so did not get to fly as much as I really wanted. Once I got familiar enough with the area, I cruised the BLM roads, it was a ton of fun.

2.5 miles out, super low, starting to sprinkle so I'm losing visibility... 5/5 will do again. I just wish it wasn't so far from home.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

3 feet of snow makes for a good soft landing when your stick inputs outpace your skill. I thought it skipped off the ground and landed elsewhere until I dug the props out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

3 feet of snow makes for a good soft landing when your stick inputs outpace your skill. I thought it skipped off the ground and landed elsewhere until I dug the props out.

Hah, awesome picture :D

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks. I should probably do conformal coating at some point.

This weekend I hit a weird milestone with the last 12 months of my tiny whooping:

a year ago I tried an eachine e013 and it was garbage so I returned it.

I purchased an acrobee which was cool but still fell out of the sky randomly and wanted to fly faster than I could keep up with; after a month or two it also seemed to randomly lack power so much that I could barely get it off the ground even with new batteries and motors.

I bought a betafpv silverware rig with 7mm motors last summer hoping it would have more power and be more flyable but it was only more of the same.

Finally, with the hype swirling, I got a Mobula 7 a few months ago and ran it 2s hoping that I'd at least not fall out of the air randomly. Unfortunately 2s was way, way overpowered for (my skill level at) indoor flying and kind of boring compared to larger rigs outdoors. What a disappointment to see so many really good pilots ripping around the house like crazy and deal with a bunch of horseshit like these quads.

This weekend, for no reason, I decided to try 1s on the mobula. It is finally the exact indoor quad I always wanted: enough power not to fall out of the sky but docile to fly; easily adjustable camera angle to control speed; seems to have no qualms with all my lovely whoop batts. I flew more whoop batts this weekend than I did in the last six months because 1s brushless is just perfect.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I seriously put it in the snow four or five times this week, but this is my fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqr2zU8DN6U

1s mobula through the moving mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlLiBQShu1s

Also cruised the mavic around today trying to find my lost quad. No luck so far but snappin pics of the snow is fun:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

This weekend, for no reason, I decided to try 1s on the mobula. It is finally the exact indoor quad I always wanted: enough power not to fall out of the sky but docile to fly; easily adjustable camera angle to control speed; seems to have no qualms with all my lovely whoop batts. I flew more whoop batts this weekend than I did in the last six months because 1s brushless is just perfect.
It and the tinyhawk are probably the best 1s options

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
My girlfriend wanted to get into fpv after seeing some freestyle videos. I got her the Mobula7 and it feels like a perfect step up from a brushed whoop. I kind of want my own for flying on lunch break at work instead of the Babyhawk R which requires a trip to the park for the extra room.

Has anyone tried the new G-rx6 receiver? Ive got one on the way.I hope to make it fit in my 1m dlgs pod. No way in hell up fit any other vario in there.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
My latest toy was a Eachine M80. Nothing as fancy as the Modula7, but I'm pretty happy with it. And it was 45 CAD shipped. A nice upgrade from my E010 with a AIO camera on it. Had a bit of a learning experience with it yesterday. I was not aware they are far more efficient when moving laterally. Like 60% throttle to hover in spot, and only 30% when moving. Of course it then drops like a rock through it's own turbulence if you stop moving. Seems great to learn acro on though. And the turtle feature did save me from running out into the grass field once.

And killed one of the batteries already. Flew two batteries, the put the first empty one back in instead of the third charged one. Flipped it into the grass shortly after, and tried to use the turtle mode. Ended up down at 2.74V after I realized what I did.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 7, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I decided to compound my poor purchasing decisions and grabbed a pair of the Racing DJI Google off of eBay for my Mavic Pro (got a good deal too). Would using them for more expendable drones be recommended or would getting some farsharks or the like be preferable? I'm aware you have to get additional equipment to have the DJIGs work on non DJI stuff and whatnot.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Does upgrading a RX require any tweaking in betaflighr? For background, I bought a wizard ages ago (I know I know) but I've since upgraded to FrSky for my radios. I've never actually replaced a receiver before, just put a fresh one on a build so beyond binding will I need to change anything?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Warbird posted:

I decided to compound my poor purchasing decisions and grabbed a pair of the Racing DJI Google off of eBay for my Mavic Pro (got a good deal too). Would using them for more expendable drones be recommended or would getting some farsharks or the like be preferable? I'm aware you have to get additional equipment to have the DJIGs work on non DJI stuff and whatnot.
The racing goggles should have a standard analog receiver too. Just get a long rear end RHCP and done. Don’t try and fly on digital downlink.

AcidRonin posted:

Does upgrading a RX require any tweaking in betaflighr? For background, I bought a wizard ages ago (I know I know) but I've since upgraded to FrSky for my radios. I've never actually replaced a receiver before, just put a fresh one on a build so beyond binding will I need to change anything?
You’ll have to change receiver type. If it’s a stupid FC with not enough inverted uarts you might have trouble there too, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

The racing goggles should have a standard analog receiver too. Just get a long rear end RHCP and done. Don’t try and fly on digital downlink.

To clarify, you're talking about the occusync mode when you say digital downlink right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Warbird posted:

To clarify, you're talking about the occusync mode when you say digital downlink right?
Yeah the extended range digital thing you need to use the dji cam/vtx for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm, that's a bit concerning. I'll have to experiment and see how it goes. Would you consider the goggles worth using on non DJI stuff or would another solution be saner?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you have/use DJI stuff and own the goggles, you’re an antenna away from being able to use them for hobby FPV so there’s no reason not to.

If you don’t own them already, the same money buys you fatshark HDOs and a good receiver (trueD, laforge, immersion rapidfire) which are probably more sensible and wildly more practical to schlepp around.

In your case I’d just stick an antenna on them and try them for a while. Not everyone like weight/bulk but the screens are legit state of the art and the receivers isn’t bad per se.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 7, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've got a VR setup, so this is nothing as far as bulk. I think I have my head wrapped around this now. There's the fancy digital Ocusync that makes for pretty pretty pictures, but can have impact on range. If I wanted to do the digital thing on a nonDJI I can add the kit they sell to the drone. If I don't want to do digital, I can add the little antenna it comes with to do the analogue solution, even with the Mavic Pro.

That all line up?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you just intend to coast around to appraise the landscape and spy on your neighbor, the DJI stuff will do. Anything fast, analog is a must, because of latency.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The latency on occusync is really quite bad (but range is great). In my case I wouldn’t want to fly anything without an automatic flight mode available on digital video. Pilot induced oscillation and all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The goggles finally showed up and I managed a flight during lunch. It's pretty neat, but I also just went up to max height to looked around. It's a bit too windy here to fly so hopefully I can make some time over the weekend. I'm a bit disappointed with the headband part. I have a large mellon so I have to nearly max it out to get it to fit and it doesn't "hold" it's position when not being worn so it takes a bit more fiddling than I'm used to. I wish they'd have gone with more of a welder's mask solution with the current tightening system combined with a bit of elastic at the end to help facilitate getting it on and off once you have it just so.

Coming from a VR headset I've got to say I'm bummed at the loss of depth perception. I could see a drone in a generation or so have dual cameras to do that sort of thing. You could likely rig up something now with one of the WMR headsets if you're crazy enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There were already dual cam modules. Issue is with focal length, which would need to be normalized. Depending on the goggles, you'll just have a FOV of like 35° diagonal, that's next to nothing. FPV pilots tend typically to wider angles. Your brain isn't going to thank you trying to see 3D with these.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Seems like it would be similar to Google Earth VR with comfort mode disabled. Takes some getting used to and there's definitely a limit to how long you can view it, but drat I'd love to try a drone with 3D vision and headtracking goggles.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’re likely right, but “VR legs” are a thing so it may be possible to handle it. The next version of VLC is supposed to have native VR support so it would be possible that you could set something up with that. Latency would be abysmal but it ought to work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The next time you're using a VR thing open up a 3d paint app, put some boxes or a backpack on the floor and start tracing around it. Turn the backpack into a mountain or whatever and its this physical thing thats actually there and can bump in to, but you've drawn a bunch of little trees and clouds around it, and it sitting in a huge lake

After Super Hot, the absolute most fun I ever had with my friend's Vive was tracing real life objects in the paint app and turning them into other things. It ruled.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/2L3H8l9.gifv

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Sometimes I think the true hobby is getting all the electronics and tech working. I'm finally playing around with a Frsky R9M Tx and R9MM Rx. After some fun getting it to bind (instructions say hold down F/S button with both switches on, only works when not pressing F/S), I decided to try updating the firmware. Without a Taranis or the like, with s.port being the only option.

USB to FTDI adapter doesn't support inversion, and I can't find a good guide on using a R3 Uno. But I did find a handy guide on serial passthrough to flash an Rx over the FC. Tx, Rx, close enough. Going to give it a try.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here running an OpenRC Truggy? Is good?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can you print good plastic? It looks so flimsy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I can do ABS.

I kinda want a printed buggy. First I considered doing my own design, then I saw this one, figured it'll save me some effort. Got annoyed at the all open diffs in a 4WD, so I put the cart before the horse and sketched some T2 Torsen, which kinda works. But I got annoyed by the space and print resolution constraints with that one.

So now I'm unsure again. If people say it can take some medium bashing (zipping around right terrain, no jumps), I guess I'll give it a whirl.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You’re going to not jump a truggy? What are you, some kind of mental patient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Last time I drove an RC car is like 32 years ago. Gotta start small.