Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Found a spider bro changing

Also do quail have a long hissy phase in their lifecycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Also do quail have a long hissy phase in their lifecycle?

Ah, the lesser known cousin of long pig, long chicken

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I'm sorry about the loss of your quail, but that is a beautiful snake!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Red Queen posted:

I'm sorry about the loss of your quail, but that is a beautiful snake!

Carpet python if I’m not mistaken

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Super long!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Can anyone identify this insect? It was at my sister's house in Melbourne.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Looks like some kinda bug to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tiggum posted:

Can anyone identify this insect? It was at my sister's house in Melbourne.

your pictures are a bit small and blurry but this fella looks to be the closest to those that I could find(I believe yours is a nymph of some sort), has the little white spots on the antennae too.

https://twitter.com/ace_frawley/status/854847478583050240

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It's a nymph (immature) of a mirid bug, but not the one in Captain Invictus' post. Tiggum's bug has a red pronotum, and CI's is black.

Miridae is a very species rich family, and nymphs can be quite hard to identify.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

axolotl farmer posted:

It's a nymph (immature) of a mirid bug, but not the one in Captain Invictus' post. Tiggum's bug has a red pronotum, and CI's is black.

Miridae is a very species rich family, and nymphs can be quite hard to identify.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :-)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

down with the false bugs

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I managed to find an identical bug posted to a Flickr group in 2007 and nobody knew what it was then either :greenangel:
haven't found a single other photo of it yet
im helping

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

vaguely posted:

I managed to find an identical bug posted to a Flickr group in 2007 and nobody knew what it was then either :greenangel:
haven't found a single other photo of it yet
im helping

Sounds like you get to name that bug!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I FOUND HIM
Dindymus versicolor, Harlequin bug
he will not doot sadly into this night :unsmith:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I AM UNSTOPPABLE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but that's the one I linked and was told it wasn't the one!!!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

you posted a different instar but it turned out you were right all along :henget:
i should read all the posts, not just like half of them

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Can anyone identify this spider I found (while stripping a bed :sweatdrop: ) in the SF Bay Area? I have lived here almost my entire life and have never come across a spider this big. Each leg is ~ 1.25 inches long and the body is maybe 2/3rds of an inch. With a few minutes of googling I am leaning towards it being a male Zoropsis spinimana, but I am wondering if some of the insect experts here have a better idea.

Sorry for the crappy picture, it is a 5 year old phone through a pyrex bowl, but my wife said she would divorce me if it got out. It is more spindly than it looks in the picture, it is fairly long and thin.

Edit: Could have sworn I attached the picture.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 29, 2019

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Maybe I lost the picture when I did preview reply?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks like a wolf spider of some type.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

It does, but I think their ID of Zoropsis might be right, which isn't a wolf spider.

These guys are native to Eurasia but were introduced to the US, and are particularly common in the Bay Area.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've discovered that I like to say spinimana out loud.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

It does look like a wolf spider for the most part, it is just 10x bigger than any wolf spider I have seen here. I dropped it off at the park last night, so hopefully I cannot take any more pictures. Here is a worse picture with a quarter in the foreground for some point of reference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I am in Fort Myers (FL) for a few days, anything in particular to watch for in terms of birds, bugs, and other critters?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Here, have a weta:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

jizzy sillage posted:

Here, have a weta:

:neckbeard:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I am in Fort Myers (FL) for a few days, anything in particular to watch for in terms of birds, bugs, and other critters?

There are lots of dolphins and manatees in the area. If you spend any significant amount of time down by the water you'll probably spot some. If you have an extra couple of hours and a rental car, canoeing through the Ding Darling refuge (ie. a big ol' mangrove swamp) on the nearby Sanibel island can be a great place to spot lots of strange swamp critters and lots and lots of birds, specifically ospreys, herons, egrets and ibises.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

https://www.gotscience.org/2014/10/florida-lizards-evolving-rapidly/

The brown anoles are an invasive species introduced in the last few decades and the green anoles you see climbing everything are the native anoles, apparently doing just fine by evolving better climbing feet under pressure

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I've done it, I shot the most Floridawildlife.jpg picture

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

gator “hell yea, I’m the fattest dude around”
manatee “hellllllllooo”
gator “...”

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

gator “hell yea, I’m the fattest dude around”
manatee “hellllllllooo”
gator “...”

That's actually an American crocodile, not a gator. :eng101:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Good lads

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's actually an American crocodile, not a gator. :eng101:

How can you tell? I only really know about the snaggletooth method, but that isn't good here.

Edit: whoops didn't realize you were the one that posted the picture to begin with and probably got a better look at it :sweatdrop:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

How can you tell? I only really know about the snaggletooth method, but that isn't good here.

Edit: whoops didn't realize you were the one that posted the picture to begin with and probably got a better look at it :sweatdrop:

It’s a little obscured there but the shape of the snout is a good tell. In American gators the snout is relatively broad and blunt, whereas in crocs it’s more of a triangular dealie.

Crocs can also get way, way bigger.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I found many critters that I will soon post!

Edit: Kaiju, were you and I just at the same wedding...

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 3, 2019

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

the yeti posted:

It’s a little obscured there but the shape of the snout is a good tell. In American gators the snout is relatively broad and blunt, whereas in crocs it’s more of a triangular dealie.

Crocs can also get way, way bigger.

Plus crocs tend to hang out near mangroves and are more tolerant of saltwater than gators

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I almost guessed it was a croc based on the color alone, but not being able to see the snout well went with the more common species. Gators are usually a much darker color I think

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

When you know them well enough, you can just kind of glance at a picture and "crocodile!" jumps right out - there are a ton of tiny differences. Head shape is drastically different, too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

No pics because it was far away and silhouetted against the sunset, but I just saw a HUGE horned owl on my neighbor's roof. This is the first time I've ever seen one in the wild around here. This is apparently an omen of bad luck, illness or death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

poverty goat posted:

This is apparently an omen of bad luck, illness or death.

Yeah, if you're a mouse, vole or other varmit.