Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1084530391057293312

The cruelty is the point, as Adam Serwer would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There's also a diathesis-stress argument. People often get really into weed in their early 20s when 1) mental illness often manifests naturally and 2) life gets way more stressful.

Smoking weed when you're stressed and the world doesn't make sense is way more socially acceptable/cheap than asking for mental health help.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

hseroK divaD posted:

https://twitter.com/PokerPolitics/status/1083963964822876160?s=19

I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but it looks like a nice shitstorm on the making

James Browder video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z9BlB9r7Fg&t=1089s

James Browder posted:

The original purpose for Qanon was to get people engaged because at the time there were rumblings of -- you know -- Manafort, things like that, it was getting a little hot, so the idea was maybe to get the morale back up to a level where people aren't really doubting and demoralised, and that was the original plan behind it, there wasn't any ulterior motive to try and create anything from it.

That is some purestrain 4chan shitlording. But there are a lot of people who do appear to reckon 'lurid misinformation is it's A-OK if it's pure propaganda. I mean, it's not as if I was out to make money, like those grifters'.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Has anyone ever tied trump looking like a gross old blob into a claim he doesn't take rich people anti-ageing murder drugs?

Something that has bothered me sometimes: none of the people who do supposedly take this 2-in-1 cannibal superhigh and beauty treatment look conspicuously good for their age. Not Hillary. Not any of them. George Soros looks all of his 88 years and often gives public talks sitting down -- he's obviously an old man.

It makes no difference; the conspiracy theorists just assume that being evil uglifies and ages you (as almost all fantasy fiction depicts) and that without their torture potion, adrenochrome users would look like some variation of a de-glamoured Melisande.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Their real age is part of the cover up. These ancient Liches have been pulling the strings for countless eons and only now are stars right to wrest control from their wizened hands and wicked hearts.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

zoux posted:

This is the thing that bothers me even with the people on the left who are all "after the revolution I'm going to be a guard at the reeducation camps." I'm just, after the revolution I want to have a meaningful job and simultaneously not starve to death, is all.

There was a part of me that hoped the Q people are just trying to come up with a way for Trump to be secretly actually helping their lives instead of being the blind idiot god king he obviously is, but nope they're just the gulag guard people again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

gotta bury the looters

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The SA Forums > Debate & Discussion > The #QAnon Thread: As I'm burying their corpses in the field, I think: "Today was a pretty good day!"

:stonklol:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

hseroK divaD posted:

https://twitter.com/PokerPolitics/status/1083963964822876160?s=19

I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but it looks like a nice shitstorm on the making
Interestingly both twitter accounts have been deleted and all we have so far is a Keybase verify (which is effectively meaningless), nothing actually tying this person to a 4chan account.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

This is the thing that bothers me even with the people on the left who are all "after the revolution I'm going to be a guard at the reeducation camps." I'm just, after the revolution I want to have a meaningful job and simultaneously not starve to death, is all.

There was a part of me that hoped the Q people are just trying to come up with a way for Trump to be secretly actually helping their lives instead of being the blind idiot god king he obviously is, but nope they're just the gulag guard people again.

Some are, some are because they're bored with life and this it's interesting to imagine satanic cabals, some are into it because they've felt dumb all their lives but now they know things that the smart set doesn't, some are just into any conspiracy theories, and some use it as a power fantasy in which the state and in some cases they themselves get to punish those they hate. Most are some combo of that, and there are probably more reasons than that, as many as there are people that believe in it, but probably only SOME qanon people are sociopathic sadists.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

zoux posted:

What a shock that the Qultists's real goal in all this is to murder minorities

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

What a shock that the Qultists's real goal in all this is to murder minorities

They're not shooting minorities, just law-breaking looters! They didn't say anything about race, you just immediately jumped to it so maybe you're the real raci:suicide:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

They're not shooting minorities, just law-breaking looters! They didn't say anything about race, you just immediately jumped to it so maybe you're the real raci:suicide:

White people don't loot they just survive.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Clerical Terrors posted:

Interestingly both twitter accounts have been deleted and all we have so far is a Keybase verify (which is effectively meaningless), nothing actually tying this person to a 4chan account.

A 4chan account

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

zoux posted:

Some are, some are because they're bored with life and this it's interesting to imagine satanic cabals, some are into it because they've felt dumb all their lives but now they know things that the smart set doesn't, some are just into any conspiracy theories, and some use it as a power fantasy in which the state and in some cases they themselves get to punish those they hate. Most are some combo of that, and there are probably more reasons than that, as many as there are people that believe in it, but probably only SOME qanon people are sociopathic sadists.

It wouldn't surprise me if it also swept up some people struggling with drug addiction and/or paranoid disorders.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

A 4chan account
My bad.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 14, 2019

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

White people don't loot they just survive.

You mean "find."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Isn't one of the cornerstones of the entire Q mythos that the reason this is all happening in such a clandestine and subtle (which is to say, wholly imaginary) way is that the White Hats don't want to cause mass unrest and social turmoil? Like if there's a civil war and massive unrest, by their own stupid religion, doesn't that mean they loving failed and it was all for nothing?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to learn more about this male adolescent schizophrenia development pattern.

I saw a similar thing happen. Have a friend who started out fairly normal, but as the pressures of adult life set in the symptoms got worse and worse. I've heard from medical/psych professionals that stress severely exacerbates mental illness, so a combination of insecurity and going off meds leads to some pretty terrible situations for those affected by schizophrenia.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't one of the cornerstones of the entire Q mythos that the reason this is all happening in such a clandestine and subtle (which is to say, wholly imaginary) way is that the White Hats don't want to cause mass unrest and social turmoil? Like if there's a civil war and massive unrest, by their own stupid religion, doesn't that mean they loving failed and it was all for nothing?

Only until things have shifted around enough that the mass unrest and social turmoil is to their advantage.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yes but looking for any sort of consistency or logic within their beliefs is futile

Watching your friends descend into mental illness loving sucks. The crazy happened to multiple people I knew in college and it was devastating for their friends and family. Sympathies, goons; luckily for me all of them got help and aren't Q-crazy afaik. I can't imagine what it would be like to see a close family member become a full-blown Qultist.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

At first, yeah, the idea was "Trump's going to pull the curtain back and reveal his genius plans, any day now!" That was, what, over a year ago? Since then they responded to Important Q Dates blowing past time and time again by saying "oh, it must be even bigger than we expected!" It went from just Hillary and some high level Democrats, to being the whole Deep State, to being a world-wide cabal with millions of members. It got bigger and bigger in response to Trump not making their dreams come true, so it got to the point where it's kinda GOTTA be a world-shaking riot-causing event in order to justify all of this delaying.

This conspiracy bloat has sorta made it resemble the "urban ferals are going to riot until True Patriots use their gun stockpiles to take back the cities" scenario that's been kicking around militia groups for decades. Ironically, it failing so often has made it shift into a form with broader appeal to pre-existing conspiracy theorists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My approximate understanding is something like this. Bear in mind I've not had time to research the subject and cite any of this, although some of it is half-remembered from pretty good sources. Do not treat the below as accurate, I'm mostly putting it out there in the hope more qualified goons will correct me by tearing it to shreds.

1. Pot does things to the developing brain, and they appear not to be good things. This is different from consumption after the end of brain development around age 24.
2. There is a genetically linked predisposition toward schizophrenia that hits onset during the period between puberty and end of development, in males. Some people have it and some don't. It is inherited, but complex in form and not well-documented. There's not a single specific "go crazy as a teen" gene, and it's a chance, not an absolute.
3. People dealing with mental illness symptoms may self-medicate with things like pot.
4. Pot may exacerbate or increase the risk of developing schizophrenia in this specific population, or maybe generally. It's not really possible to simply or cleanly distinguish causation, because it's not like you can perform a controlled trial.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 14, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jagged Jim posted:

You mean "find."

What if you shoot a "looter" but the looter was wearing a big jacket so you couldn't tell who they were until you went to bury the corpse, and then you found out they were a white male, and thus a noble survivor simply trying to pull themselves up by their boot straps to survive in a world that makes it so hard for white men?

It makes u think

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

From my equally un-researched knowledge (I listened to a podcast on schizophrenia today lol), I think that point 4 should be in bold, red size 42 font.

Like even beginning to come up with a study to test this seems almost impossible. I guess a longitudinal study where we...somehow...separate the groups between pot and I don’t know alcohol and nothing or whatever and...hope to somehow control for everything. And then let it run for 15 years. Anything else and there’d be so much (possible) noise in the data.

Just logistically that’s a total nightmare. Not even touching legal/moral/loving existential what am I doing with my life kind of stuff.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Anecdotally, the cliche "stoner" is often very fuckin receptive to loony conspiracy theories and there's a reason for that.

Knew a guy who smoked a lot of weed, and apparently had since he was 12 years old. Thought he was relatively well adjusted until he started trying to convince me of the lizard illuminati poo poo.

It definitely exacerbates hyperactivity in the pattern seeking part of the brain in some people.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mackers posted:

Anecdotally, the cliche "stoner" is often very fuckin receptive to loony conspiracy theories and there's a reason for that.

Knew a guy who smoked a lot of weed, and apparently had since he was 12 years old. Thought he was relatively well adjusted until he started trying to convince me of the lizard illuminati poo poo.

It definitely exacerbates hyperactivity in the pattern seeking part of the brain in some people.

Uh, that last part is totally conjecture. Lots of people that don't smoke weed go equally into batshit conspiracy stuff and plenty of long-time pot smokers do not. Thus the whole discussion about cause vs. effect and there not being a way to do a good study to try to parse it out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

TulliusCicero posted:

What if you shoot a "looter" but the looter was wearing a big jacket so you couldn't tell who they were until you went to bury the corpse, and then you found out they were a white male, and thus a noble survivor simply trying to pull themselves up by their boot straps to survive in a world that makes it so hard for white men?

It makes u think
Pat yourself on the back (with a gun if you can't reach) for physically removing another commie.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mackers posted:

In college back when I used to smoke I’d get high and listen to coast to coast. It was fun, but I never bought any of it

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TulliusCicero posted:

It makes u think

I have it on good authority (cop stepdad) that white people who wear big "urban style" clothes are "race traitors," so you'd be in the clear.

Don't bother telling me to :sever:, I already did years ago, for even worse poo poo

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Mackers posted:

I have a theory based on experiences with a number of stoners: Every day you smoke weed you do not age emotionally that day. So if you're a daily smoker from the day you're 17 until sometime in your late 20's, you will be effectively emotionally 17 years old.

And I don't know if stoners are more into conspiracies but the craziest person I know who is a complete and total True Believer Qultist was a stoner until he became unemployed almost all the time and couldn't afford weed anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
THL STOLAM?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mameluke posted:

THL STOLAM?

That's how Trump says it when his dentures slip

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1084842461841678337

They got to Forrest Whittaker yall

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"A common feature among people who have faces"

:lol:

They are REALLY reaching to be special now :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish Mr. Ginsburg a swift recovery.

These people 100% have no idea what a prostate is.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

zoux posted:

I wish Mr. Ginsburg a swift recovery.

I hate people who make claims or broad assumptions and when you press them, they say YOU should research.

No, fucker, provide evidence for your claims like normal, sane humans do.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Local Weather posted:

I have a theory based on experiences with a number of stoners: Every day you smoke weed you do not age emotionally that day. So if you're a daily smoker from the day you're 17 until sometime in your late 20's, you will be effectively emotionally 17 years old.

And I don't know if stoners are more into conspiracies but the craziest person I know who is a complete and total True Believer Qultist was a stoner until he became unemployed almost all the time and couldn't afford weed anymore.

Like I know this isn't scientific but my mom acts like a teen most of the time, tantrums and all, and she started smoking early and hasn't stopped, not even when pregnant or nursing. She, however, does not buy in to most conspiracy theories, just Loose Change and at one point she thought the Moon Landing was fake.....

Oh god.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xiahou Dun posted:

From my equally un-researched knowledge (I listened to a podcast on schizophrenia today lol), I think that point 4 should be in bold, red size 42 font.

Like even beginning to come up with a study to test this seems almost impossible. I guess a longitudinal study where we...somehow...separate the groups between pot and I don’t know alcohol and nothing or whatever and...hope to somehow control for everything. And then let it run for 15 years. Anything else and there’d be so much (possible) noise in the data.

Just logistically that’s a total nightmare. Not even touching legal/moral/loving existential what am I doing with my life kind of stuff.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Uh, that last part is totally conjecture. Lots of people that don't smoke weed go equally into batshit conspiracy stuff and plenty of long-time pot smokers do not. Thus the whole discussion about cause vs. effect and there not being a way to do a good study to try to parse it out.

All of this said, you can get good (or as good as it gets) data on this using large-scale population-based survey measures- and that research has been done. I just don't have the time to go digging for it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im crazy and smoke way too much weed and i dont believe conspiracy theories

im real good at telling my brain to just shut up already thats incredibly implausible tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I can't tell if it's this or if there's a "Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a man, baby" conspiracy theory I don't know about