Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of like that actually. Eisenhorn is very much about sneaking around and getting the job quietly done style Inquisitor, but Ravenor is stuck in the chair so he's all BEEP BEEP IMMA PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION OF THE EMPEROR'S WILL BITCHES! style Inquisitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sephyr posted:

My favorite part of Ravenor was his team of geniuses and veteran professionals trying to aprehend a suspect during a public event, at his place of work with full security and a planetary governor in attendance, instead of doing it the day before when he goes to take a dump or something.

Very much depends on the style of the inquisitor generally.

Someone like Commodus Voke would do that everytime no question from what we saw in Eisenhorn and dude was massively successful at his job

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Sometimes the best weapon an Inquisitor has is their reputation - every motherfucker in the subsector probably knows that Commodus Voke is an Inquisitor with a big I and while you do hear him coming from a mile away, its spooky as gently caress and makes most heretics panic and make mistakes. Sometimes a very blunt object is a very good tool.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was this comedy skit years ago where a group was playing risk or some other board game and a woman stands up and flops a 4 foot long dildo on the table and starts knocking over all the pieces with it and everyone looks too nervous and afraid to do anything about it.

That's kind of how I figure most non-violent interactions with Inquisitors play out.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ravenor's one and only useful skill as an inquisitor is having supposedly amazing psychic powers(ok i guess he writes books or something too), yet he couldn't spot one of his closest allies being possessed and flaunting that fact by murdering people in public.

e: Also in a universe with chainsaw swords Abnett chose to give Eisenhorn a lightsaber which is just straight up embarrassing. I know he's considered one of the good writers but sometimes I find it hard to see why.

bloom fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2019

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

My favorite part of Ravenor was his team of geniuses and veteran professionals trying to aprehend a suspect during a public event, at his place of work with full security and a planetary governor in attendance, instead of doing it the day before when he goes to take a dump or something.

This is funny except it is a cracking action sequence. You're talking about the Carnivora bit right? Every time I read Ravenor I get disappointed it hasn't been turned into a TV series or something. Netflix are all over big budget sci fi tv shows these days. Ravenor has, for 40k, reasonably grounded and relatable action sequences, that wouldn't be as expensive as other setpieces in Eisenhorn. And it would be a really unique setting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's all of them. He basically tries it all the time. The one with the planetary governor is the end of the second book, waaaay after the Carnivora.

bloom posted:

e: Also in a universe with chainsaw swords Abnett chose to give Eisenhorn a lightsaber which is just straight up embarrassing. I know he's considered one of the good writers but sometimes I find it hard to see why.
Jedi Inquisitors is a time-honoured tradition and I will not hear a word said against it! :colbert:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's literally just a different model powersword which is functions like all other powerswords when you get down to it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's a lightsaber and you all know it. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Jedi Inquisitors is a time-honoured tradition and I will not hear a word said against it! :colbert:

Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau would kick anyone's rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau would kick anyone's rear end.
Especially bloom's.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

bloom posted:

Isn't it a demon lightsaber with a will of its own that may or may not also be slightly eating his mind, like pretty much everything he ends up gathering?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, that's a metal "folded 9000 times" not-katana. The lightsaber breaks pretty fast IIRC. Might even be in the first chapter. Eisenhorn is weird in fiction in that he's not even slightly attached to his gear, it's just a tool for a job, and sometimes it needs to be replaced.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
IIRC he is pretty sad when he loses that pistol given to him by the Deathwatch dude.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arquinsiel posted:

No, that's a metal "folded 9000 times" not-katana. The lightsaber breaks pretty fast IIRC. Might even be in the first chapter. Eisenhorn is weird in fiction in that he's not even slightly attached to his gear, it's just a tool for a job, and sometimes it needs to be replaced.

Ah, right. I do remember he's sad about the loss of the bolt pistol that one Deathwatch librarian gave him, and he's definitely maybe too attached to the not-katana

E: :argh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gaunt has more of a lightsaber than Eisenhorn and even then Hieronymus Sondar's blade is just a very very sharp power sword.

That can apparently pierce a dreadnought hellbrute chassis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When he first started writing they could. Power swords were 2D6+5 against vehicles back then.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Demon Of The Fall posted:

IIRC he is pretty sad when he loses that pistol given to him by the Deathwatch dude.

Also the one that one women scrimshawed for him.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not just a folded 9000 times katana, but a katana that was beat so hard on the forge that it was smacked one second into the future. e: or one second sideways in time or some poo poo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gaunt has more of a lightsaber than Eisenhorn and even then Hieronymus Sondar's blade is just a very very sharp power sword.

That can apparently pierce a dreadnought hellbrute chassis.

IIRC Eisenhorn chopped a Dreadnought in half in Thorn wishes Talon, and by Pariah he's developed a habit for bisecting Chaos Marines.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

IIRC Eisenhorn chopped a Dreadnought in half in Thorn wishes Talon, and by Pariah he's developed a habit for bisecting Chaos Marines.

Yeah, that was when the series went from Great to "Yeah, decent I guess" to me. As I see it, the only interaction an inquisitor has to have with a real chaos marine or any daemon above the crap tier is calling an air strike on the whole city, civilians be damned to make sure it's dead.

If they can be defeated mano-a-mano with just some cool trinkets and training, the whole concept loses force.

Unless it's a last stand situation and he's resorting to some dark, sanity-ruining ritual or device to deal with it because his orbital strike ship was taken over by Nids or something.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Unless it's a last stand situation and he's resorting to some dark, sanity-ruining ritual or device to deal with it because his orbital strike ship was taken over by Nids or something.

He is.

The entire point is that it’s now normal for him to do dark sanity ruining poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Isn't Eisenhorn's sword some sort of psychic weapon, while Gaunt's is a good old fashioned battery-powered blasto-sword?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Its generally implied that most of the inquistiors tend to either get bionics or some other poo poo that 99.99% of the general population does not get which allows them to deal with CSM or daemons, and even then its normally the more active front line ones.

But yes the best CSM scenes are things like in (I thing Gaunts Ghosts) where they are in a jeep running away from a CSM who is slowly catching up to them and they are panicking while hand priming mortar shells and tossing it at it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, that was when the series went from Great to "Yeah, decent I guess" to me. As I see it, the only interaction an inquisitor has to have with a real chaos marine or any daemon above the crap tier is calling an air strike on the whole city, civilians be damned to make sure it's dead.

If they can be defeated mano-a-mano with just some cool trinkets and training, the whole concept loses force.

I think it's gone far beyond 'cool trinkets and training' when Cherubael, an actual daemon says its gone from mildly intrigued/irritated to being terrified of Eisenhorn. He's definitely done some strong poo poo and I think he's gonna sprout some horns soon.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fellblade posted:

He is.

The entire point is that it’s now normal for him to do dark sanity ruining poo poo.

If it can be normal for you to do warped sanity-melting poo poo and not turn into a gibbering, suicidal mess or a supervillain, it wasn't that dark, was it?

Could be just me, but I always felt that a big part of the Inquisition was like an anti-septic: deal with the early cults and infiltrations while they are in the very early stages, because once the Hellportal opens or the Broodlords spawn, no one going in is coming back, doesn't matter how kickass his sword. Nuke it from orbit and make a note to turn up the North Korea brainwashing higher next time.

It's mostly the setting's fault, wanting to be both a big WAR!/cool toys!/awesome action! style universe but also hold on to the grim "These things are so TERRIBLE even being near feels wrong and a glimpse into the least of their servants will shatter the strongest mind!" near-Lovecraft vibe. I like it, but drat if it doesn't trip over its own dong now and then.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Sephyr posted:

If it can be normal for you to do warped sanity-melting poo poo and not turn into a gibbering, suicidal mess or a supervillain, it wasn't that dark, was it?

It’s like you are answering your own post here.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You are fundmentially misunderstanding the role of the Inquisition.

Part of the inqusitions original founding goal was to deal with the super bad poo poo because during the Horus Hersey it became super apparent that somebody needed to keep an eye on it. This led to them collecting all sorts of poo poo like books of true names and the like.

Low level cults and poo poo get dealt with the PDF and the Eccesiarchy, given that its kinda one of the main things they look out for. Inquisitors can deal with them but if its so low level thats the kind of poo poo you can just task out.

Their whole shtick is that they are supposed to be detectives who theoretically have the training or the resources to deal with the big bads.

This gets played with a lot because then you have guys from the Ordo Xenos waaay over their heads when they realize its not a genestealer infestation but just a poo poo ton of daemonic possesion and they have no idea how to deal with it because its outside their training.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 14, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Part of the inqusitions original founding goal was to deal with the super bad poo poo because during the Horus Hersey it became super apparent that somebody needed to keep an eye on it.

Low level cults and poo poo get dealt with the PDF and the Eccesiarchy, given that its kinda one of the main things they look out for. Inquisitors can deal with them but if its so low level thats the kind of poo poo you can just task out.

Their whole shtick is that they are supposed to be detectives who theoretically have the training or the resources to deal with the big bads.

This gets played with a lot because then you have guys from the Ordo Xenos waaay over their heads when they relaize its not a genestealer infestation but just a poo poo ton of daemonic possesion and they have no idea how to deal with it because its outside their training.

Or they get dumped on the Interrogators. Some Inquisitors are lone wolves, others are more like franchise operators.

It's a shame we will never get a book about Inquisitor McDonald managing his network of interrogators spanning fifteen sectors.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

Its generally implied that most of the inquistiors tend to either get bionics or some other poo poo that 99.99% of the general population does not get which allows them to deal with CSM or daemons, and even then its normally the more active front line ones.

But yes the best CSM scenes are things like in (I thing Gaunts Ghosts) where they are in a jeep running away from a CSM who is slowly catching up to them and they are panicking while hand priming mortar shells and tossing it at it.

It's funny going back to First and Only and Ghostmaker where the Ghosts encounter CSMs twice and take them down with massed firepower versus their encounter with a full squad of Marines in Traitor General. They blow away Iron Warriors and Khorne Berzerkers with lots of guns and ambushes. In Traitor General however it's just a handful of the senior staff of the Ghosts and a few locals and they rightfully poo poo their pants.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

once the Hellportal opens or the Broodlords spawn, no one going in is coming back, doesn't matter how kickass his sword.

Unless it's a meltasword called Jurgen, of course.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's funny going back to First and Only and Ghostmaker where the Ghosts encounter CSMs twice and take them down with massed firepower versus their encounter with a full squad of Marines in Traitor General. They blow away Iron Warriors and Khorne Berzerkers with lots of guns and ambushes. In Traitor General however it's just a handful of the senior staff of the Ghosts and a few locals and they rightfully poo poo their pants.

They also rightly play off the time he dueled one and won as a really big deal because its not really supposed to happen. But Gaunt is also a stupid good duelist so there is that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

They also rightly play off the time he dueled one and won as a really big deal because its not really supposed to happen. But Gaunt is also a stupid good duelist so there is that.

When did Gaunt duel a marine? I can't remember which book that was in. Wasn't it also the one where somebody managed to survive a bolter round because it struck at close range before the gyrojet could accelerate it to full speed?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

When did Gaunt duel a marine? I can't remember which book that was in. Wasn't it also the one where somebody managed to survive a bolter round because it struck at close range before the gyrojet could accelerate it to full speed?

I think the very first book or whenever they describe the evac on Tanith.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Part of the inqusitions original founding goal was to deal with the super bad poo poo because during the Horus Hersey it became super apparent that somebody needed to keep an eye on it. This led to them collecting all sorts of poo poo like books of true names and the like.

This gets played with a lot because then you have guys from the Ordo Xenos waaay over their heads when they realize its not a genestealer infestation but just a poo poo ton of daemonic possesion and they have no idea how to deal with it because its outside their training.

Not exactly. The PDF has no idea cults even exist. That would lead to way too many people being aware that Chaos is even a thing, which the Imperium takes HUGE pains to avoid because hey, one day PDF guard #544883 may be down on his luck, sick or in debt, and remember that the cult hideout he helped bust had some very nice stuff, loose cash, and weird symbols that made him feel all tingly. Certainly it wouldn't be too bad if he tried drawing one, getting a little help, upstanding guy that he is, right?

Even the ecclesiarchy deals mostly with keeping the worship of the Emperor unified and following rough guidelines. Other than the very top echelons, most of them likely are not even aware daemons exist. The 40K universe really is all about ignorance as a prophilactic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

I think the very first book or whenever they describe the evac on Tanith.

So Ghostmaker. Was that during the fight on Monthax where the Eldar aided them? I don't recall him fighting anyone during the burning of Tanith itself.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Telsa Cola posted:

I think that might have been Cain

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Cain also duelled one, though that one was already severely hurt and he basically just finished him off but to the guards that saw it thought he took it on all by himself.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

Not exactly. The PDF has no idea cults even exist. That would lead to way too many people being aware that Chaos is even a thing, which the Imperium takes HUGE pains to avoid because hey, one day PDF guard #544883 may be down on his luck, sick or in debt, and remember that the cult hideout he helped bust had some very nice stuff, loose cash, and weird symbols that made him feel all tingly. Certainly it wouldn't be too bad if he tried drawing one, getting a little help, upstanding guy that he is, right?

Even the ecclesiarchy deals mostly with keeping the worship of the Emperor unified and following rough guidelines. Other than the very top echelons, most of them likely are not even aware daemons exist. The 40K universe really is all about ignorance as a prophilactic.

The lower levels of the hierarchies do not bust "Chaos Cults". They break up recidivists, anarchists, heretics etc. We see heretic and think horrors beyond time and space. The average PDF sees "heretic" and thinks "40k Scientologist" - someone who isn't like them but without any supernatural connotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Ghostmaker. Was that during the fight on Monthax where the Eldar aided them? I don't recall him fighting anyone during the burning of Tanith itself.

Ill do a quick reread of them and find the right book, I might be mistaken but I definitely remember him dueling one while everything around him is on fire. That might have been during the one book where they were in the camp of those moth guys though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 14, 2019