Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
HG. I don't know if I would have braved an MG price tag. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Not brave enough to buy expensive gunpla?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Look up HG Dendrobium and HG Neo Zeong sometime!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Stopped in at my local hobby store, and drat.

That's some expensive plastic.

Ended up buying an Ez8 to build my first kit in like, eighteen years

I've spent nearly that much on a model, (Tamiya with many extra features I-400) and may meet that price if I'm serious about buying Revell's 1/144 An-225.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
My new years lucky box from Banzai Hobby shipped.

6kg of Gunpla coming my way!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Well that was fun. I skipped the decals cause like, I don't know what to do with them. Anyway, here's blank Ez8 shooting my dark souls 3 statue in the junk.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Well that was fun. I skipped the decals cause like, I don't know what to do with them. Anyway, here's blank Ez8 shooting my dark souls 3 statue in the junk.

I can see nubmarks from here! :gonk:

Also, what do you mean you don't know what to do with the decals? You put them on the model - the manual even shows where to put them. :v:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The flash was a bad idea yes.

These things. Didn't see them in the manual. Some of them (chest, shield) are obvious, but idk if they're just stickers or something more annoying to deal with :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The flash was a bad idea yes.

These things. Didn't see them in the manual. Some of them (chest, shield) are obvious, but idk if they're just stickers or something more annoying to deal with :shrug:

They're just stickers. Look at the back page of the manual, you should have a colour picture of the kit along with a whole lot of instructions showing where the stickers go. There'll also be some throughout the booklet, like for the eyes on the head.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - That typically only applies to Master Grade manuals.

Here, they are on the top of this page:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Thank u goons, it turns out i am actually just blind.

I did get the red bits+eyes on while building.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: /\/\/\ - That typically only applies to Master Grade manuals.

Here, they are on the top of this page:

Yeah, that's my bad - I realized I was actually thinking of the Real Grade manuals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Good call. Before the more modern kits came out the HGUC Ez8 was one of the best kits for posing. In some ways it's still better than the 2018 Ground Gundam kit.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
FA-78 Full Armor progress report: Escape pod, body, head and one arm almost finished (didn't do final matte coat on pod yet hence the missing canopy and still have to do gloss/panel lining/etc on the rest). Didn't bother preshading body and probably won't bother with the water slides either since I'm just going to be covering it all up anyways. I've read some people say that this thing's a nightmare to put together but so far I'm having a blast. The pod gimmick is really cool too. Only thing I'm having trouble with is staying consistent with preshading lines - I don't know if it's the $30 airbrush or my lack of practice or a bit of both, but it seems like I'm holding the lever at juuust the same angle and the line width still fluctuates wildly.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 14, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The Supernova MG Heavyarms EW may be a bootleg with odd undergating and a need for TLC at some points, but fill some seams and put on some paint and topcoat and hoo boy does it look good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJP posted:

The Supernova MG Heavyarms EW may be a bootleg with odd undergating and a need for TLC at some points, but fill some seams and put on some paint and topcoat and hoo boy does it look good.

Looks nice. One question though - Why do you have the gatling guns dangling by the hands and not connected to the forearms?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I think with that weight they'd just keep falling off the forearms, at least the pistol grips benefit from gravity.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

hey, nice card game. and dr saturn.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

I think with that weight they'd just keep falling off the forearms, at least the pistol grips benefit from gravity.

...no they wouldn't. The forearm connectors are super solid. I didn't even bother with the hand grips.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The last MG I put together was the V-Dash Ver. Ka and while I was tempted to do the V2AB today I think I'd probably go nuts if I didn't build a solid MG in between so I spent most of today building Astray Red Frame Kai. It's the first time I've dealt with the MG Astray frame and I rather liked it. The Tactical Arms IIL is pleasingly huge and including a custom stand is a nice touch, though the AB2 design looks terribly out of date next to AB4/5.

It has some weird stuff on it though that I haven't seen on any other models. Some of the leg joints are hinged with pins made from polypropylene. Are there any other kits that use anything like this that anyone has seen?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

Looks nice. One question though - Why do you have the gatling guns dangling by the hands and not connected to the forearms?

There's two peg things that come out of the guns, and one slot in the forearms. I'm not sure how it actually connects, but if there's a way to do so I'm happy to try.

Never thought I'd miss the Bandai manuals - they at least show you details about the weapons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm building the mg wing ka and jesus there's a lotta seamlines. The elbow and knee joints have seamlines, forearms, head, basically ever piece other than the yellow parts on the wings have seam lines, two seam lines eachshoudlers, , ankle armor, gun. After building two older mg's it really shows how much the lines advanced.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJP posted:

There's two peg things that come out of the guns, and one slot in the forearms. I'm not sure how it actually connects, but if there's a way to do so I'm happy to try.

I don't have the manual anymore but i'm almost positive it shows you how to orient the peg on the gatling guns so that you can plug them into the forearms.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Finally got around to finishing the accessories on the Build Gundam Mk.II so here's a look at how it turned out. One of the problems with the kit (besides the original kit's age) is that the new runners only come in grey and blue, so the new chest things that replace the vents and the V-fin use stickers to re-colour them, doesn't look great so I'm going to stick to the original vents and V. Kind of like the look of the original stuff anyway. The only new part of the Gundam that I'm using is the giant blue bit sticking out between the vents, original piece left some weird gaps between it and the red cockpit cover.

Weirdly, even though they give you a new right gun-holding hand for holding the new beam rifles they don't give you a new beam-sabre-holding left hand so you can't use both beam sabres with the effect parts leaving you having to use the weird old one-piece hand & sabre part.

A look at the new parts with the stickers on. Without them it would be a lot of blue. The only yellow plastic here is the collar.

Also the backpack can plug into this little jet thing. Jet doesn't seem to attach to the Gundam in anyway.

Mr. Too Many Guns kind of grew on me at the end, despite the age of the kit and the limited articulation. The shoulders can barely do anything but rotate around the pegs you plug the arms into and the elbows only have a single joint so they can't bend more than 90 degrees. I don't think you can actually get the bazooka on the Gundam's shoulder to get it in and aiming pose, at least I couldn't.
The knees and the ankles are alright, double joint at the knees but it is a little stiff and hard to bend. The real problem is that the way the legs connect to the waist barely allows the legs to move out much, you can't get much of a split going. There is no torso articulation besides being able to spin it around the peg that attaches it to the waist.

There are some pretty bad seamlines on the legs, picked up some Tamiya cement a while back so I might try fixing those at some point.

I forgot to take a picture of it but you can take the new beam rifles out of the blue parts used to attach them to the Gundam's arms or the jet to just hold them in it's hands.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I am totally unsure how I'm supposed to get those two pegs into that one hole. I tried it with one peg going in and one on top of the arm but that deffo did not hold in place. If I swap it around, the two pegs don't plug into where the one peg sits on the inside of the gun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was the Build Gundam MK II kit released before the MK II revive came out?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was the Build Gundam MK II kit released before the MK II revive came out?

According to Dalong the Build Mk II came out in November 2013, and the Mk II Revive came out in November 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bandai's got a new plamo brand coming. No indication what it actually is yet.

"The joy of building, the joy of discovery"
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1084997510412722176?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Bandai's got a new plamo brand coming. No indication what it actually is yet.

"The joy of building, the joy of discovery"
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1084997510412722176?s=19

"Here's a 100+ piece kit with no instructions. GOOD LUCK! :unsmigghh:"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Here's a 100+ piece kit with no instructions. GOOD LUCK! :unsmigghh:"

Perfect Grade Neo Zeong, but you can only assemble it with a blindfold on

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

MJP posted:

Okay, so I am totally unsure how I'm supposed to get those two pegs into that one hole. I tried it with one peg going in and one on top of the arm but that deffo did not hold in place. If I swap it around, the two pegs don't plug into where the one peg sits on the inside of the gun.

I cant tell from the pic, but you did put the polycap in the arm right?

asterioth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 15, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for the people who are into Zoids, the HMM Liger re-release just went up for sale.
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-4793
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-4794
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-4795
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-4796
In stock are the zero, jager, schneider, and panzer. I have built them all and personally I like the schneider most.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

for the people who are into Zoids, the HMM Liger re-release just went up for sale.
In stock are the zero, jager, schneider, and panzer. I have built them all and personally I like the schneider most.

This is wrong and dumb.

The Panzer Liger is clearly the best due to its copious amounts of Dakka. :orks101:

Schneider's pretty sweet too though.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Fauxtool posted:

Can they really handstand on one paw?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is wrong and dumb.

The Panzer Liger is clearly the best due to its copious amounts of Dakka. :orks101:

Schneider's pretty sweet too though.

panzer is great its just that the parts separation is worse and it needs a little paint where the other 3 need none. Its also much less posable which is true to the design i guess.

I guess you can handstand on one paw for about 5s, thats about as long as i can do it without glueing the joints even. They are really well made. You want to order these now or wait up to another 18 months for the next release.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 15, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

panzer is great its just that the parts separation is worse and it needs a little paint where the other 3 need none. Its also much less posable which is true to the design i guess.

That's because it only needs one pose. You can't beat perfection :dukedog:.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Perfect Grade Neo Zeong, but you can only assemble it with a blindfold on

Bird Box challenge of the century

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

asterioth posted:

I cant tell from the pic, but you did put the polycap in the arm right?

Yeah, there's the polycap that holds the hand in, and that's it. It is in there as per the instructions.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJP posted:

You're not supposed to get the two pegs in one hole. You literally just rotate the connector piece 180 so you go from this:

to this:

and to be certain, I made sure that piece will slot in no matter which way is it rotated.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

MJP posted:

Yeah, there's the polycap that holds the hand in, and that's it. It is in there as per the instructions.

Yeha, just took the arm on mine and for some reason I thought there was a cap in the arm