Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Infinite Karma posted:

So, essentially limestone is the geologically stable carbon sequester system? Can we make a permanent algae bloom if they are the kind of algae with CaCO3 shells?

I think those shells are a major source of cloud nucleation sites, so this may also be albedo modification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Infinite Karma posted:

So, essentially limestone is the geologically stable carbon sequester system? Can we make a permanent algae bloom if they are the kind of algae with CaCO3 shells?

Yes, and now you need to manage the carbonate rain rate and lysocline depth so that you can maximally sequester carbon at depth while allowing carbonate life to exist by not loving up the carbonate cycle or pH too badly. Difficult but possible maybe, hard to do worse than what we're already doing to ocean pH.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Ocean ventilation management sounds exciting!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DrSunshine posted:

That's actually not all too unreasonable. Yes, it would be expensive, but it's conceivable as a last-ditch international effort. The US alone spent something like 1.1 trillion USD on the Iraq war from 2003 - 2010. Compared to the collapse of global civilization, spending ~1% of 2013 world GDP per year, for a decade, to construct an orbital shade, positively sounds like a bargain. Perhaps it could even spur investment and R&D into sustained off-planet industry in order to build up the infrastructure to complete such a megaproject. You might even sell it as a way of tapping into limitless solar energy if you could also cover the shield in solar panels or something. Of course, you would have to invest a lot into CO2 reductions, sequestration, reforestation projects, and so on, in the meantime, but the solar shield would be useful as a means of buying more time.

I mean, yea. That would be a solution but probably politically quite dangerous. Something like that could easily be used as a weapons platform launching gravity missiles or even just to quite literally control the weather (kind of?) by denying hostile nations sunlight until they starve. There's also the feasibility of it all, and for something untried, untested, technically extremely complicated I would assume that even if we could create the tech and expand the means to implement it exponentially over some years, I'd find it highly likely to cost many times that amount in cost overruns and grift and bullshit. Capitalism gonna capitalize.

Nocturtle posted:

They're working on it!

No joking this is really cool.

Details details.

This is very cool. Our entire future really quite frankly hinges on biotechnologies and other technologies to help us be more sustainable and give us more control over biology. So long as we can adapt, we can survive, but the tech to do so is an absolute prerequisite. But what makes us worthy of survival is how we treat the third world and the people who we ought to be sharing our tech and resources with. I'm not seeing a lot of that.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Feral Integral posted:

lol if anyone itt thinks "farming" is hard with modern technology

*in the us with gov subsidies and loans paying for nearly everything when it comes to cash crops

People die or work themselves into disability even on modern farms all the time. It's dirty, hard and dangerous work.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Lol what is this FI/RE stuff? A supposedly progressive group of people whose life plan is "literally join the bourgeoisie"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/15/insect-collapse-we-are-destroying-our-life-support-systems

Nothing to see here. Just the imminent end to life on Earth as we know it.

quote:

The problem is that there were very few studies of insect numbers in past decades to serve as a baseline, but Lister is undeterred: “There’s no time like the present to start asking what’s going on.”

:sigh:

Nuclear War posted:

People die or work themselves into disability even on modern farms all the time. It's dirty, hard and dangerous work.

Yeah. I don't think that farming has ever been more 'productive,' but it's by no means easy or safe.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Lol at people’s “trajectories” to FIRE being based upon the eternal growth they’ve already admitted is impossible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a world in which scarcely anything is left alive except other human beings is literally hell

especially if you're in the part of it that's constantly catching fire!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

enki42 posted:

Lol what is this FI/RE stuff? A supposedly progressive group of people whose life plan is "literally join the bourgeoisie"

Everyone has to make compromises. It's a consequence of living under capitalism. I mean, Engels was a literal capitalist after all. He inherited his dad's factory!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah. That's not just bad, it's a blaring alarm. Insects are such a fundamental part of the food chain that something like this is probably both the result of and will result in a cascade failure of interconnected keystone species. We're probably just seeing the start. If something similar happens in the ocean after we cross the fundamental point where 90% type mass dieoffs start, well let's just say things will take a turn.

It's really just the vindication of all the environment "alarmists" that for years have been telling people that biology doesn't work in a linear fashion, once we reach the tipping point it's downhill fast. We know this from decades of study. We don't have time. We don't have alternatives. Once the food chain goes, we're at the end of that food chain and we are probably not going to like where this extinction event leads.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Whatever this sudden rapid dieoff leads to, I'm fairly certain it'll involve a lot of folks tending to things in greenhouses and domes. :sigh:

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Anyone been talking about the fracturing of the polar vortex? Apparently we should see hugely warm temperatures in the Arctic in the next few weeks and brutally cold ones in the US from Kansas eastward. Folks on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum are freaking out a little.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Whatever this sudden rapid dieoff leads to, I'm fairly certain it'll involve a lot of folks tending to things in greenhouses and domes. :sigh:

I've put a lot of hours into Surviving Mars. In the future, I'll be a microgreen farmer.

dream9!bed!! posted:

Lol at people’s “trajectories” to FIRE being based upon the eternal growth they’ve already admitted is impossible

Yeah, not sure how FIRE is going to treat you once we realize that all of the bugs, birds, and non-jellyfish marine life are dead.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enki42 posted:

i'm going with "neo-kulak"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Insanite posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/15/insect-collapse-we-are-destroying-our-life-support-systems

Nothing to see here. Just the imminent end to life on Earth as we know it.

:sigh:

Yeah. I don't think that farming has ever been more 'productive,' but it's by no means easy or safe.

Heh, wow, that's really hosed up.

Not much more to say, really.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Insanite posted:

I've put a lot of hours into Surviving Mars. In the future, I'll be a microgreen farmer.
Alternatively we'll end up like the progenitor folks in the Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind manga and gengineer an entire ecosystem out of whole cloth capable of surviving in our transformed future world.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

dream9!bed!! posted:

Anyone been talking about the fracturing of the polar vortex? Apparently we should see hugely warm temperatures in the Arctic in the next few weeks and brutally cold ones in the US from Kansas eastward. Folks on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum are freaking out a little.

Link to thread pls.

Also if you have links to projections for long term effects on the jet stream that'd be awesome. Where I live our temperatures fluctuate wildly based on what the jet stream is doing (Yesterday it was -9c, today it's -27c) and I'm curious what things are going to look like over the next decade. Last I heard it was going to be a weaker jet stream which means winters full of frequent temperature swings like this one.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Alternatively we'll end up like the progenitor folks in the Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind manga and gengineer an entire ecosystem out of whole cloth capable of surviving in our transformed future world.

Seems like that'll be necessary if we kill most other life on our planet--big and small.

Carbon capture is neat and all, but it does nothing to ameliorate the extinction event we're in right now.

I... I guess I'm now hoping for the glorious anime future.

Good day for the environment over on The Guardian:

Where are the _nice_ environment-related stories? Where are the animals with other-species animal friends?

Insanite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rime posted:

Heh, wow, that's really hosed up.

Not much more to say, really.

Yeah this wasn't really that unexpected given all the other news we've had to go on but it's certainly a fun story to wake up to today. Thread title getting more and more unlikely as the days roll by.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Insanite posted:

I... I guess I'm now hoping for the glorious anime future.

Evangelion is real and we're all Shinji.

EDIT: Shitposting mode OFF.

Real question time - thread: what do you guys do for a living? Are you working on climate change? Is it your full-time job, or do you do it in your spare time?

I'm a public librarian, which means I am a full-time adult babysitter and human google search for those who are too stupid or lazy to do it themselves. You'd think that would leave me a lot of time to read, but actually I spend most of my time doing the aforementioned activities and trying not to retch from the stench of hobo piss. So I read up on articles about world news, science, and climate change to at least be better informed. :shrug: I wish I could do more, but my job takes me from the morning to the evening, and when I get home I'm too drained creatively and emotionally to do much else. I don't get very many weekends because of our service schedule.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 16, 2019

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Both the post and the one it quoted have some good info: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2413.msg186463.html#msg186463

Also:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weat...-just-underway/

dream9!bed!! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

This research has been out for several months. Not sure why the guardian decided to run a story on it now. I had saved this very telling figure from the source study:

quote:

Comparison of the average dry-weight biomass of arthropods caught per 12-h day in 10 ground (A) and canopy (B) traps within the same sampling area in the Luquillo rainforest. Numbers above the bars give the mean daily catch rate in dry weight of arthropods per day for the respective dates. Data for 1976 and 1977 are from Lister

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

dream9!bed!! posted:

Strong sudden stratospheric warmings that split the night time stratospheric PV are nothing new. They mostly happen in the northern hemisphere. What's interesting is that we have one on back to back years and we have a scenario that could result in multiple sustained disruptive events to the PV in one season.

I also don't think folks on the ASIF are freaking out. If you're looking to terrify yourself there's plenty of information on Hansen's ice climate feedback in the Antarctica subforum there.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

DrSunshine posted:

Evangelion is real and we're all Shinji.

EDIT: Shitposting mode OFF.

Real question time - thread: what do you guys do for a living? Are you working on climate change? Is it your full-time job, or do you do it in your spare time?

I'm a public librarian, which means I am a full-time adult babysitter and human google search for those who are too stupid or lazy to do it themselves. You'd think that would leave me a lot of time to read, but actually I spend most of my time doing the aforementioned activities and trying not to retch from the stench of hobo piss. So I read up on articles about world news, science, and climate change to at least be better informed. :shrug: I wish I could do more, but my job takes me from the morning to the evening, and when I get home I'm too drained creatively and emotionally to do much else. I don't get very many weekends because of our service schedule.

I studied and work in renewable energy engineering specifically because of the first loud alarms about climate change in 2007. It makes me feel like I'm doing something productive towards fighting climate change, but following the news about it are draining a lot of that satisfaction. Imho tho, do what you can with the energy you can afford, and stop worrying too much. Contrary to what people in this thread (or rather the one before) used to say, I believe that individual action has an effect on the problem, as you can not only reduce your own co2 footprint, but you can also inspire other people to do so as well by showing them that it is possible and fulfilling to do so. Reduce or quit red meat, try to switch to energy saving modes of transport and living, and most of all, stop consuming useless things. This will not only lower your footprint, but also take away the thing that makes companies into the soulless, environment-destroying monster they are: profit.

My only real new years resolution for this year is to try and not buy a single new thing this year. I am living very comfortably with all the modern amenities that I get enjoyment out of, and I still consumed way too much useless junk last year. So this year I either try to do without, or I buy it used. It's only the 16th of january, but I still found myself having to find the urge to spend money on little things way too often, and I believe many people have the same problem.

Side-question: does anybody have another forum that has quality and active discussions about climate change? I remember some goon posting one in the last thread, but I can't find it anymore. The goon consensus is quite settled in, so I'd like another viewpoint.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I'm a technical writer for some healthcare software that no one uses. I do nothing to help the climate as part of my day job, and it makes me feel somewhat bad. At least I have a telecommute-friendly lifestyle.

Son of Rodney posted:

The goon consensus is quite settled in, so I'd like another viewpoint.

I'm also interested in this, though nothing that I've read (almost all of it outside of these forums) has made me particularly hopeful that we'll have a decent future without an almost immediate pivot to net zero carbon and a possibly magical level of technological innovation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Son of Rodney posted:

The goon consensus is quite settled in, so I'd like another viewpoint.

What do you even mean by this? The "goon consensus" is just accepting the facts.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

450' tall, 4.8mw each. It's -30 out here.

I spent my 20's working in digital media, I got into this so that I can die saying I tried in the only way I was qualified to try.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 16, 2019

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Don't get me wrong I'm with what goons are saying on these forums. I mean that goons have a different style of posting that other online communities, and I'd like to see what people outside of this circle say about it. People involved in professional circles that deal with this stuff daily. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering, but some good posted a forum where climatologists or something would post, and I'd like the contrast to goon posting.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Side-question: does anybody have another forum that has quality and active discussions about climate change? I remember some goon posting one in the last thread, but I can't find it anymore. The goon consensus is quite settled in, so I'd like another viewpoint.

There's the Arctic Sea Ice Forums as referenced on here constantly. Fair warning, make a note of which posters are idiots and which know their poo poo. There are some extremely smart professionals in there mixed in with a few crackpot idiots.

There's also Dr. Hayhoe's twitter list of scientists that do climate related work: https://twitter.com/khayhoe/lists/scientists-who-do-climate?lang=en

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There's the Arctic Sea Ice Forums as referenced on here constantly. Fair warning, make a note of which posters are idiots and which know their poo poo. There are some extremely smart professionals in there mixed in with a few crackpot idiots.

There's also Dr. Hayhoe's twitter list of scientists that do climate related work: https://twitter.com/khayhoe/lists/scientists-who-do-climate?lang=en

That was it, thanks!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: ^^beaten

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm with what goons are saying on these forums. I mean that goons have a different style of posting that other online communities, and I'd like to see what people outside of this circle say about it. People involved in professional circles that deal with this stuff daily. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering, but some good posted a forum where climatologists or something would post, and I'd like the contrast to goon posting.

Curating a very specific twitter list is probably your best bet. Lots of academics have twitter accounts and post often, you just have to find the ones who are more "climatologists talking on twitter" and less "climatologists using twitter for public outreach."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

as a crackpot idiot, i

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm a computer toucher at a company that does design consulting. Sadly the company is super tied to the airline industry so i'm saving every penny I can. And I realize that its horrible for the environment but someones has to get paid for it and I try my best to push us towards lower power use options and telecommuting where I can.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 16, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I work from home (doing nothing)

When I find a job though it's in social work, preferably at a substance misuse clinic

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I used to be a computer toucher mostly for government health care and then worked in big ag and due to several series of unfortunate events life basically broke my brain and now I work at a bicycle shop because when it comes to the grown up world I just can't even anymore.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Insanite posted:

Where are the animals with other-species animal friends?

First to go, sorry

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a lab geek whose done a bit of work on solar photovoltaics, went into the DOE to do nano-materials for nuclear applications, took a hard turn out of there when they restarted plutonium pit production (the "core" of making more hydrogen bombs) this past summer, and am now I'm trying to get into light isotope separation R&D done so we can make D2O at less than ~$1.5 billion per reactor for CANDU and other fuel source flexible nuclear reactors.

Gotta have somebody swinging for the fences. Might as well be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This is one of the most horrifying report I've ever read.
Are there any studies or numbers to determine which insects tend to be suffering the most and what impact their death may cause longterm?