Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gun Jam posted:

John Wick 3 Trailer. Not sure how much of it is supposed to be a surprise, plot-wise.

John's on a horse! Team up! Bikes! Puppies!

So... Any action classic to watch in the mean time? In particular, either scratching that John Wick itch, or something like Heat (not exactly an action movie, but the few gunfight scenes are excellent)?
Looks sweet. First ones that come to mind (that haven't been mentioned) would be Battle Royale and The Raid, with Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning in the wild card spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gun Jam posted:

So... Any action classic to watch in the mean time? In particular, either scratching that John Wick itch, or something like Heat (not exactly an action movie, but the few gunfight scenes are excellent)?

The Man From Nowhere

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gun Jam posted:

John Wick 3 Trailer. Not sure how much of it is supposed to be a surprise, plot-wise.

John's on a horse! Team up! Bikes! Puppies!

The Matrix :v:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

The Man From Nowhere

Yeeeeeah gently caress I need to rewatch this movie. I remember it being super visceral in that same John Wick way.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
I always thought John Wick was the fight scenes from Collateral turned up to 11.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeeeeeah gently caress I need to rewatch this movie. I remember it being super visceral in that same John Wick way.

It's also one of those action movies where the other stuff surrounding the action is actually still really entertaining. In a similar way to Wick where it's just constantly having other characters interacting with the lead guy and figuring out for themselves just how dangerous this random dude really is.

My favorite bit is when the main enforcer for the boss kills one of his underlings right in front of the main character, but he has literally zero reaction, no flinch no recoil nothing at all. The enforcer guy immediately is unsettled by this and you can see the wheels turning in his head in the car afterwards when he mentions it.

Also the part where some dumb goons pull a knife and he swipes it from the guy's hand so lightning fast that they barely even realize what happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Nice to see Dacascos getting work. He's one of those dude where I was always surprised he never really went anywhere. There were a couple of projects of his that I really thought "Oh, he'll be bigtime, now" but no.

Basebf555 posted:

It's also one of those action movies where the other stuff surrounding the action is actually still really entertaining. In a similar way to Wick where it's just constantly having other characters interacting with the lead guy and figuring out for themselves just how dangerous this random dude really is.

My favorite bit is when the main enforcer for the boss kills one of his underlings right in front of the main character, but he has literally zero reaction, no flinch no recoil nothing at all. The enforcer guy immediately is unsettled by this and you can see the wheels turning in his head in the car afterwards when he mentions it.

Also the part where some dumb goons pull a knife and he swipes it from the guy's hand so lightning fast that they barely even realize what happened.

The best part of that movie was in the finale, where, unlike most action heroes, he actually carries a sensible number of reloads.

Lumbermouth posted:

Just while we're mentioning Korean films, City of Violence is entertainingly dumb and, as the name implies, violent, while A Bittersweet Life is loving amazing and I cannot recommend it enough.

Also, very different genre, but there's a sword and horse action adventure movie called 'Musa' that I loving loved and I almost never see mentioned. It's pretty hard to track down these days.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
John tomahawk's an entire assault rifle at a guy in the John Wick 3 trailer and there's TWO dogs. Why even bother releasing more films this year.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

John tomahawk's an entire assault rifle at a guy in the John Wick 3 trailer and there's TWO dogs. Why even bother releasing more films this year.
That reminded me of Equilibrium. :coal:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Replicant isn't in the same niche as most of his 90s films. It's a cheesy Italian exploitation film that just happens to not be Italian. By that standard, I actually think 2019: After the Fall of New York is the best of the extremely specific "low-budget Terminator crossed with Mad Max" genre. But Replicant has JCVD and some cool fights.

Was Van Dammme just too difficult to work with that he could only co-star with himself? Double Impact, Replicant, Maximum Risk, were there any others?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Aaand I just realized I said Replicant when I meant Cyborg.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Interesting looking Korean action flick called Revenger just dropped on Netflix. Anyone know if it's worth a watch?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

fenix down posted:

That reminded me of Equilibrium. :coal:

Equilibrium is the dumbest loving movie ever made and I absolutely love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamont posted:

Interesting looking Korean action flick called Revenger just dropped on Netflix. Anyone know if it's worth a watch?

I watched it, it was ok. The main guy is pretty impressive but for a revenge story the villain was kinda nothing and barely even felt like a character. Also, the setting seemed interesting at first but they never really did much with it.

Action is solid but there's not quite enough of it to be able to fully recommend the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, I haven’t seen it in forever, but when I saw it I thought, “This feels dumb as hell, but also rules. Is this director amazing or a hack who made one movie that tickled me the right way?” Then I saw his next movie, Ultraviolet, and thought, “Oh.”

I haven’t watch Equilibrium since (outside of YouTubing the hallway fight scene, which I’ll stand by).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I haven’t seen it in forever, but when I saw it I thought, “This feels dumb as hell, but also rules. Is this director amazing or a hack who made one movie that tickled me the right way?” Then I saw his next movie, Ultraviolet, and thought, “Oh.”

I haven’t watch Equilibrium since (outside of YouTubing the hallway fight scene, which I’ll stand by).

It’s a movie where Christian Bale is flummoxed by a puppy, and cocks pump shotguns by shoving them at the ground. It’s worth watching again just for how incredibly stupid yet cinematically dynamic Gun-kata is.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Gunkata got nothing on bullet curving, try to math your way out of that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Equilibrium holds up imo, if anything the gun kata style fights have become even closer to the standard in Hollywood as the years have gone by.

Lots of good actors in that movie though. Bale, Bean, Emily Watson, Williams Fichtner, Sean Pertwee, plus Taye Diggs is pretty solid too even though I don't consider him as good an actor as the others.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I cannot stress enough, though, how stupid Equilibrium is. It’s a movie about martial arts gunfighting that explains why this dumb-cool fighting style is necessary. The muzzle flashes are all the dumb Grammatron Cleric cross. Christian Bale hits shotguns pointed at his head so they spin around in the air and he catches them by the handles. It’s an outrageously dumb movie, but that’s also why it’s so much fun to watch, it wouldn’t be nearly as good or interesting if its story was actually intelligent or subtle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was excited for Christian Bale as Batman specifically because of the scenes where he disarms, cripples, and knocks out all those guys when he's unarmed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I was excited for Christian Bale as Batman specifically because of the scenes where he disarms, cripples, and knocks out all those guys when he's unarmed.

The best is when the gestapo dudes bust into his apartment and he just instantly demolishes this one guy's arm by using his own rifle against him for leverage.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s like taking a bong hit directly out of a 14 year old sci-fi nerd’s brain, and it’s amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The best is when the gestapo dudes bust into his apartment and he just instantly demolishes this one guy's arm by using his own rifle against him for leverage.
The one I always remember is when he's helping the rebels escape, and he breaks one stormtrooper's fingers, knee, elbow, and face in about 3 seconds. But that flashback scene has some great moves squeezed into what's otherwise not even an action scene.

Fart City posted:

It’s like taking a bong hit directly out of a 14 year old sci-fi nerd’s brain, and it’s amazing.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s an outrageously dumb movie, but that’s also why it’s so much fun to watch, it wouldn’t be nearly as good or interesting if its story was actually intelligent or subtle.
It's like the stoner metalhead guy in English class came up to me and was like "Man, 1984 was hosed up! But what if like Winston Smith knew kung fu? They'd be all like taking him to Room 101 so the rats could eat him and he'd be like 'eat this, bitch' and take their guns and like snap their necks and poo poo! And O'Brien would have like five bodyguards with katanas and he'd be all like NO

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

George Orwell's Van Halen's 1984

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The funniest part of Equilibrium is after Christian Bale chops off Taye Diggs's face and later you see what looks like a print-out of his face lying on the floor.

Edit: Seriously, look at this:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah it fuckin rules

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah opinions are divided on whether Taye Diggs' death is the good kind of stupid.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s the full potential of Face/Off brought to life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned that era of action movies in one of the other threads: everyone seemed to wear lots of leather. It was certainly a common aesthetic choice.

Blade, Matrix, Underworld and X-Men are the most obvious culprits. Adjacent to it you had Equilibrium and Ultraviolet. There was also Van Helsing, the first Hellboy movie and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and the Resident Evil movies.

Alongside that the main thing in action cinema (American action cinema) was... What? You had Transporter for a while, you had Fast and the Furious but it wasn't yet the huge franchise it has now become, you had the first two Mummy movies; arguably the Pirates movies were the biggest thing going.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Alongside that the main thing in action cinema (American action cinema) was... What? You had Transporter for a while, you had Fast and the Furious but it wasn't yet the huge franchise it has now become, you had the first two Mummy movies; arguably the Pirates movies were the biggest thing going.

After The Matrix Yuen Woo-ping really dominated the action scene as far as what people were anticipating the most. The year after The Matrix he did Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and then after that the two Matrix sequels, followed by a Jet Li movie and Kill Bill. So his influence probably made the biggest impact on the genre of anyone else during that time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s the full potential of Face/Off brought to life.

Face, off.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, there was that one series some weird New Zealand horror director was involved in. That made quite a splash. Plus, you know, Star Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would say that, while it goes without saying that nothing in it was exactly new, the Bourne series launched a new wave of technothriller-based action movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween Jack posted:

I would say that, while it goes without saying that nothing in it was exactly new, the Bourne series launched a new wave of technothriller-based action movies.

And from a technical standpoint brought about a wave of “in the moment” shakeycam, for better or worse (though only really once Greengrass came on)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, poo poo. Of course. I have no idea why I always forget about Bourne.

Mission Impossible may bear mentioning but those came out infrequently enough an each of them had such a distinct identity (until Cruise decided he liked McQuarrie enough to keep him around for multiple movies) that they sort of float along on top of every other trend.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Wheat Loaf posted:

The funniest part of Equilibrium is after Christian Bale chops off Taye Diggs's face and later you see what looks like a print-out of his face lying on the floor.

Edit: Seriously, look at this:

The spectrum of face-chopping with this ^^ at one end and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amrmWyKz48k

at the other :o:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The spectrum of face-chopping with this ^^ at one end and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amrmWyKz48k

at the other :o:

Spartacus is the greatest show ever made

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Spartacus is the greatest show ever made

It rules so much. The rare series that pulled off both a prequel season and an actually satisfying conclusion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Spartacus is great because it's a show where the writing team and production team clearly never met each other. The script is a really clever palace intrigue show about the illusion of upward mobility, the inherent violence of the class system, how concepts like 'honor' just become more chains for the underclass. It's actually about as clever as Rome. However, the production team just tasered a sugared up 14 year old and filmed whatever he yelled out. TITS...TITS...DICKS...TITS...CHOPPING...TITS...MORE CHOPPING. It loving rules. Plus it gave us Manu Bennett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite thing about Equilibrium is the realization that Sean Bean really isn't safe in any loving movie. He's sitting alone in a church reading a book and what happens? He gets shot in the face.