Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
Sure. 5 3.33%
Yes. 28 18.67%
What is hockey? 10 6.67%
No. 5 3.33%
Whatever, I guess. 6 4.00%
FIRE KEN HOLLAND JESUS loving CHRIST 11 7.33%
Fire Chiarelli already you fucks 22 14.67%
63 42.00%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Heliogabalos posted:

Why does Green keep benching Goldy? He's 4th on the team in points. I know Benning traded Vanek for a ghost and a mannequin so they don't really have a precedent for caring about players who produce, but given that Goldobin is in a developmental role and NHL-ready it's really annoying.

because he's very bad. he can't create his own shot, doesn't play on his own side of the red line and doesn't really bring anything to the table. vancouver probably has the least skilled group of forwards in the league and he looks mediocre even in that group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

The ducks just lost 12 in a row and are still in a wildcard. Holy poo poo, the west is a trashfire

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mamma Lucia posted:

The ducks just lost 12 in a row and are still in a wildcard. Holy poo poo, the west is a trashfire

everyone in the west playoff bubble all decided to be bad for the same like 3-4 weeks

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LumpyGumby posted:

Oh you can't forget the context though.
They've only won 3 if the past 19 games.
-Italian finger kiss-

If they go on another tear after this I won't complain

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kings showing Chicago and Phili who's boss.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No GDT but Avs are up 7-0 over LAK, hooray

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Avs are back again

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Where the poo poo has this been for the past 20 games??

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Heliogabalos posted:

Partly because of the scratches/benching I would imagine, plus players like Granlund and vets get all the ice time you'd expect from a top six player, except they aren't.

In a media microscope city it must make a player so self-conscious and paranoid to clearly not have the good will of his coach, because media and social media keep bellowing to trade him. Like, it takes more than a season to develop, chill.

It's definitely not good. Seems like one of the things Babcock did best in Toronto was handling the rabid media, where he had the clout to set his own narrative and bring attention to himself. A few other Canadian teams do the opposite and let the media feast on them.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Other than the 2nd period, that was a pretty good game.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

the talent deficit posted:

because he's very bad. he can't create his own shot, doesn't play on his own side of the red line and doesn't really bring anything to the table. vancouver probably has the least skilled group of forwards in the league and he looks mediocre even in that group

I partially disagree - he is a playmaker and an excellent passer - hence his many assists. If he gets the puck in the neutral zone he can skate it into the offensive zone and make a play, unlike the dump and chase of the majority of the team (and league). I think he's just a bit timid. I'm not going to die on a hill for the guy though so other than this I'll stop derailing over such a specific topic.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Heliogabalos posted:

I partially disagree - he is a playmaker and an excellent passer - hence his many assists. If he gets the puck in the neutral zone he can skate it into the offensive zone and make a play, unlike the dump and chase of the majority of the team (and league). I think he's just a bit timid. I'm not going to die on a hill for the guy though so other than this I'll stop derailing over such a specific topic.

No, it's actually an interesting topic.

I can't say I've seen a lot of the Canucks this year, and the games I have seen were rather embarrassing losses to the Rangers/Isles/Devils. You know when there's a fourth line where there's one guy who carry the puck through the neutral zone, or is a tenacious forechecker who manages clean retrievals on dump-and-chase, only to have no teammates even remotely in position to make a play? The Canucks seem like a team where there's 2-3 lines like that, and they have quite a few black holes where you just can't move the puck as a five-man unit with them on the ice, beyond maybe chipping it around the boards. Sutter, Gudbranson, and more. I think there's more of a black hole factor here beyond bad possession numbers and PDO. It's like they lose the ability to make creative plays which create high-danger chances just because these guys are on the ice and everyone knows you're not running a fluid play through them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/peterhassett/status/1086775337890009088?s=19

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/status/1086787713494335488?s=19

:rip:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I mean that play by Charlie McAvoy is what I expected to see Karl Alzner do to Carey like 20 times a game.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Great move by McAvoy to kill his own goalie

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Brooks Orpik would be proud of that hit by McAvoy.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

I really don’t understand why they keep playing him over Jaskin.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

That's a brutal collision. Bruins confirmed Rask has a concussion. Hope he's OK.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Been a lot of talk of Hayes going from New York to colorado. I just hope we don't give up Barrie or anything big.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Chytil was even trying his best to avoid hitting Rask before McAvoy hit him. What a dumb play.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

LumpyGumby posted:

Been a lot of talk of Hayes going from New York to colorado. I just hope we don't give up Barrie or anything big.

Will likely be getting Colorado's first. Would love to get something bigger, but I can't imagine them giving up Barrie for anything right now. Wondering if Jost might be available. I think NYR might also dangle Zibanejad because a prime-age center with a good RH shot on the power play on a good contract is what it might take to bring a bigger piece into the play.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

omg Jets pls

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
To whenever recommenced the podcast the full 60, good call, I like it.

This is the most recent one: Interview with Dan Carcillo. I think it’s really good.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-full-60/id1292603914?mt=2&i=1000427948857

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 20, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Man, that's becoming Chytils trademark goal isn't it? I hope Rask is ok, that's a bad collision.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

N: flyera
V: didn't lose

:confuoot:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

N: flyera
V: didn't lose

:confuoot:

Are we cheering for the Flyers to be successful or last in the league at this point?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Are we cheering for the Flyers to be successful or last in the league at this point?

They have to be successful. If they’re last, that decreases the chances of Colorado winning the cup and picking first.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers tanking honestly does more damage to them in the long run. A game like tonight was perfect because a lot of the kids broke through

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

Will likely be getting Colorado's first. Would love to get something bigger, but I can't imagine them giving up Barrie for anything right now. Wondering if Jost might be available. I think NYR might also dangle Zibanejad because a prime-age center with a good RH shot on the power play on a good contract is what it might take to bring a bigger piece into the play.

I think it’d take a really big return for them to trade Zibanejad. It’d leave their center depth so embarrassingly bad I can’t even think of a word to describe it. Especially if Hayes also was traded

Hayes is a really good player and the Rangers shouldn’t trade him for peanuts either

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RyanHockeyGuy/status/1086830224736579585?s=19

:allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

aren't you a short guy yourself? :v:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

I can't watch, but you were right. Jack Johnson really loving sucks. He is just so awful. He might be one of the worst positioned AND one of the least reactive defenseman I have ever seen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ losing two going into the bye and All-Star break is less than ideal but both were essentially 2-1 losses, so eh.

iospace posted:

aren't you a short guy yourself? :v:

I am. It's an inspiration seeing JAM knock a much larger individual off his skates and gives me hope for my vertical challenges.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

LumpyGumby posted:

I don’t think Sakic is gonna make any big trades, at least this year. and the only Colorado writer who I’ve seen talk about trading for Hayes is Kiszla, who, god, is just the stupidest person in the entire world

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

N: jesus
V: loving crist dude
MV: :ohdear: this were starting to go to well on the injury front (outside of Bjork getting his shoulders removed AGAIN)

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Milan Lucic has exposed the Calgary Flames as frauds by scoring against them. They are not good, they must be contracted now.

Also the Oilers are poo poo and losing to your provincial rivals better loving be a fireable offence because I'm tired of Chiarelli still being our GM.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Plus Minus is a bad stat, but JJ sports game was a minus 4 tonight. He sucks so bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Plus Minus is a bad stat, but JJ sports game was a minus 4 tonight. He sucks so bad.

Gonna be unfortunate when Schultz comes back and JJ stays in.

Although maybe not *that* unfortunate since the defenseman coming out will be either Oleksiak (who also sucks) or Riikola (who is hit or miss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

I don’t think Sakic is gonna make any big trades, at least this year. and the only Colorado writer who I’ve seen talk about trading for Hayes is Kiszla, who, god, is just the stupidest person in the entire world

Rangers scouts were at today's Avs game and at today's Eagles game, so the Rangers are at least interested in something. I hope Sakic doesn't do it though, I'd rather avs take advantage of having 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to get some depth and another goalie prospect.