Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Arist posted:

That the inherited Quirks are explicitly even more powerful due to OfA is kind of absurd IMO

Just think of all the new and exciting ways Deku can shatter his bones and shred his muscles trying to get a handle on 6 more ridiculously overcharged quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arist posted:

That the inherited Quirks are explicitly even more powerful due to OfA is kind of absurd IMO

How is it absurd? OFA is a Power stockpiling quirk combined with a quirk that passes itself on. The problem is assuming that 'power stockpiling' just means 'strength' Also, while these are '6 new quirks' they are actually not, they're one quirk. One For All. One For All simply merged with each of the quirks in turn when it passed on to the next hero. These quirks are all One For All.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My issue is not that the diegetic explanation doesn't make sense, it's that One for All was already broken, and now Deku has six more powers that are themselves even stronger than they normally would be.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There is no guarantee Deku ever ends up seeing all 6 powers (and honestly it would be better he didn’t).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Enumerating how many new Quirks he has the potential to use (especially given that it's only six, which while ridiculous in this context is still not a terribly high number) and then not actually showing us what they all are would be a huge copout.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Enumerating how many new Quirks he has the potential to use (especially given that it's only six, which while ridiculous in this context is still not a terribly high number) and then not actually showing us what they all are would be a huge copout.

And so would scrapping the traitor plot but sometimes it’s just for the better that it happens.

I honestly do not think Horikoshi can handle giving the protagonist 6 new powers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheKingofSprings posted:

And so would scrapping the traitor plot but sometimes it’s just for the better that it happens.

I honestly do not think Horikoshi can handle giving the protagonist 6 new powers.

Horikoshi also clearly can't handle having 40+ characters in his manga either but here we are

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
is there any shonen series that starts off by saying "even a regular old person like you can become great if you work hard" and actually sticks to that without pulling some weird "it is your destiny" thing halfway through because this poo poo sucks

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
If this is MHA's downward slide I'm excited to be here for it, I abandoned ship with Naruto but I am determined to stick this one out.

Edit: That said as much as this arc overall has sucked I for some reason don't mind this reveal at all. Like I was so happy to get a break from these dumb fights.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

is there any shonen series that starts off by saying "even a regular old person like you can become great if you work hard" and actually sticks to that without pulling some weird "it is your destiny" thing halfway through because this poo poo sucks

But it isn't Deku's destiny. Not yet, anyway. He's just the guy who happened to be on call when poo poo went down. The power grew, and it happened to be his power when it grew big enough to develop more abilities. Nothing special about him except All Might thinking he might have what it takes and working his rear end off to make his power not explode and kill him.

(And yes. One Punch Man. )

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't wait to see how many other complicated plot threads Horikoshi introduces while already struggling to put out full chapters consistently and keep track of his huge cast of characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ryaomon posted:

That is pointedly NOT what MHA's story was. Blatantly Deku is told he cannot be a Hero without a quirk, that he's better off becoming a Police Officer if he wants to help people. Deku was given the most broken power in the setting by the most powerful character in the setting in the very beginning. It's very clear that's not 'regular' or that his strength will come from 'working hard'

In fact, I'd say a big issue with Deku is that before he was given a quirk he DIDN'T work hard. He was a nerd with terrible fitness who was hoping his big brain could get him to be a hero. He had a dream but he didn't take the steps to actually fulfill that dream at all. This isn't a Naruto, where Naruto desired to become Hokage, NEVER worked hard through the entire season, yet was supposed to represent hard workers.

In fact "Hard Work = Greatness" is never actually a thing in MHA, there is "My quirk is unsuited to heroic actions yet I desire to BE a hero" as motivation, which is Monoma and Shinso, but absolutely no one in the cast is "If I work hard I too can be a hero!" Deku is the only one, and that is repeatedly pointed out as not enough to actually be a hero in the first chapter, upon which he drops that line of thinking, despite how he's actually working hard now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheKingofSprings posted:

There is no guarantee Deku ever ends up seeing all 6 powers (and honestly it would be better he didn’t).

lol you don't really believe this

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Deku has to at least see those quirks within manga's lifespan. Real question is how he uses them, and I would expect switching between minimum.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Deku getting more powerful will lead to him becoming a villain after he defeats All for One. He will think he's doing the right thing, and still consider himself the greatest hero. Bakugo will be the leader of the hero team that defeats Deku. This is thematically appropriate because Bakugo is losing and learning and becoming a better person while Deku is beating the poo poo out of innocent NEETs and getting strength handed to him while not learning anything.

Also Shigaraki is going to be killed by All For One in a way that restores All For One to his former power. All Might will die in an attempt to stop this.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It all ultimately comes down to what these new powers are and how powerful they actually end up being. One of the powers could end up being as simple as "now you have Spider-sense" for all we know.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
We’ve never seen how long it takes AfOs quirk to work, we don’t know the parameters on how it works initially and if he can do more stuff to people he’s already given quirks to.

I do wonder if the climax of the story will be something where AfO takes away OfA and gives it to himself/Shigareki and the final fight is AfO and OfA powered bad guy versus Quirkless Deku. It really feels like there is a “Just according to keikaku” moment coming with AfO where OfA was his plan all along.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

We’ve never seen how long it takes AfOs quirk to work, we don’t know the parameters on how it works initially and if he can do more stuff to people he’s already given quirks to.

I do wonder if the climax of the story will be something where AfO takes away OfA and gives it to himself/Shigareki and the final fight is AfO and OfA powered bad guy versus Quirkless Deku. It really feels like there is a “Just according to keikaku” moment coming with AfO where OfA was his plan all along.

I doubt it because I don't see how a quirkless Deku(or anyone else for that matter) would stand a chance against that combo.

That being said, if OfA super charges the qurik you already have, then I wonder if giving it to AfO would end up causing all his quirks to rage out of control and tear him apart.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Deku still has the entire manga to learn and master these new powers. And he doesn't even have full control of OFA yet. He's not overpowered, if anything he'll be a jack of all trades, master of none for the majority of the series.

I have no doubt he'll be overpowered at the end, when he is, you know, the number one hero as stated in the very beginning of the manga. But having 6 quirks doesn't mean the rest of the cast is useless now or Deku roflstomping every enemy he fights from here on out.

We can add this to the list of things that were totally going to ruin MHA:

1. Horikoshi sweeping Endeavor's abusive past under the rug
2. Eiri using her OP quirk to nulify all consequences of the Yakuza arc
And now we have:
3. Deku's 6 quirks making him OP

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Since having too many quirks can gently caress with your head(as seen with the nomu) and Deku is always finding new and exciting ways to hurt himself, I'm expecting to find out that he can't use all his quirks at once without having a seizure or something.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
He'll have to be less of a nerd about it. I can see him getting mixed up in which quirk to use only to (almost) lose because of that.

This is the same guy who nearly hosed up his arms for good before realizing he could also kick stuff.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RatHat posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if this fights ends with Monoma doing nothing interesting with his power, even if he never tries to copy OfA.

Monoma copies OfA and gets some random component quirk we've never seen before is now a distinct possibility, he could copy it up to 7 times and get a different quirk each time even...

I'm now imagining stuff like Midoriya convinces everyone in class a and class b to pass OfA all the way around to everyone then back to Midoriya so it now carries every one of their quirks at once. Although if that would work, he should realistically just get a copy of Aizawa's quirk which would be an unstoppable combination with OfA (shut down their quirk and then kick them like a meteor impact).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there an actually satisfying way to write this?

If he starts using the quirks as well as OFA regularly, that'll suck because he already has the best quirk and he didn't ever need more, other than to just have a natural skill progression.

If he only gets them as last minute life savers or I win buttons, that is extremely bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is there an actually satisfying way to write this?

If he starts using the quirks as well as OFA regularly, that'll suck because he already has the best quirk and he didn't ever need more, other than to just have a natural skill progression.

If he only gets them as last minute life savers or I win buttons, that is extremely bad.

Yes, the same way you write any story about a character with a developing skill set. You have them develop their skillset. Also, it's kinda funny how people are acting like "Super Strength" is the best quirk. And yes I realize the Super Strength is very high end but... it wasn't exactly unique. Even Muscular could get to those levels with his quirk. And then you throw in guys like Giganto, Warp boy, Shigaraki...

Like really any way this 'loses satisfaction' is... how did you expect him to fight Shigaraki without stomping him into the dirt, either Shigaraki is disintegrating him, or he's getting his clock cleaned by a human bullet. Both of them were one-trick ponies. Shigaraki couldn't even pull an Overhaul and turn into a snake.

And to be clear, One For All was not The Best Quirk, All Might was The Best Hero and by extension, his quirk was The Best. Don't forget that yeah, Deku is the 9th Successor, but that 7 of his previous successors all lost and didn't leave any mark on history, and All Might was badly mutilated.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 20, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We still don't even know what the other quirks are. For all we know, some of them might be purely support or utility types, like a "Spider-Sense" type quirk or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

Like really any way this 'loses satisfaction' is... how did you expect him to fight Shigaraki without stomping him into the dirt, either Shigaraki is disintegrating him, or he's getting his clock cleaned by a human bullet. Both of them were one-trick ponies. Shigaraki couldn't even pull an Overhaul and turn into a snake.

Shigaraki is associated with a dude whose can give other people new quirks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm curious about what Nana's quirk was and if it is similar to Shigaraki's at all.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

I’m hoping the series goes a bit cerebral after this fight. Show him questioning All Might and Gran Torino about Nana’s quirk. Put him in the library looking for the other heroes he saw in the mindspace to figure out their quirks before they show up unexpectedly. I mean it would be pretty stupid and completely out of character for Deku not to at least try not to get more info about the one’s he’s seen.

Maybe intersperse it with some 1 on 1 training with Bakugo under All Might’s direction showing Deku being frustrated and Bakugo being weirdly supportive like he was with Kirishima for the written exam study.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gran Torino is old enough and knew Nana well enough that he should at least know who her predecessor was too.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Gran Torino is old enough and knew Nana well enough that he should at least know who her predecessor was too.

I’d love it if Gran Torino went full Yoda and already had info on the previous holders. Info he never needed to share with All Might because it wasn’t needed. Maybe have All Might feel inadequate and throw himself into mentoring Bakugo. Doing what Best Jeanist failed so miserably and breaking through that douchebag shell.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mulderman posted:

We can add this to the list of things that were totally going to ruin MHA:

1. Horikoshi sweeping Endeavor's abusive past under the rug
2. Eiri using her OP quirk to nulify all consequences of the Yakuza arc
And now we have:
3. Deku's 6 quirks making him OP

Agreed, I’m not going to get mad at the manga for doing things it hasn’t yet done and only might do in the future.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also suit yourselves guys, I have enjoyed this arc and seeing the rest of Class B in action.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

It has been really cool to see all the side dudes putting work in. So many of them have nifty and bizarre quirks.

That’s probably part of what makes Swiss army Deku seem so much shittier. Hopefully I’m wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also suit yourselves guys, I have enjoyed this arc and seeing the rest of Class B in action.

This arc was proceeded by the school festival which was legitimately some of the best writing for these dumb kids as dumb kids and friends the author has done but it has been a little slow due to holidays and health and introduced a plot point that may in fact sometime in the future be written badly to a varying degree of quality so there must be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from this thread because like every othe time the comic has been less than perfect (or mistreated a thread favorite character) it means the end of all things good and we're basically Bleach now.

Goons relax, breathe. It'll probably be okay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Onmi posted:

Yes, the same way you write any story about a character with a developing skill set. You have them develop their skillset. Also, it's kinda funny how people are acting like "Super Strength" is the best quirk. And yes I realize the Super Strength is very high end but... it wasn't exactly unique. Even Muscular could get to those levels with his quirk. And then you throw in guys like Giganto, Warp boy, Shigaraki...

And to be clear, One For All was not The Best Quirk, All Might was The Best Hero and by extension, his quirk was The Best. Don't forget that yeah, Deku is the 9th Successor, but that 7 of his previous successors all lost and didn't leave any mark on history, and All Might was badly mutilated.

There's a bunch of characters with super strength in MHA, but One For All's super strength is in a ridiculous category of its own, and at the full potential we've seen from All Might, it is pretty definitively the most powerful quirk in the setting that we've seen barring All For One(which can only be as powerful because it can combine a theoretically infinite number of quirks). He is able to punch so hard that the air pressure from his punches can alter weather patterns, for god's sake. That's like One Punch Man poo poo. The entire and only limitation on OfA's power in the manga has explicitly been that Deku simply can't handle using it without breaking himself into pieces, and his entire course of development has largely been intricately tied to him slowly beginning to master it. Using the power at what he terms "20%", he's considered a capable match for the two other strongest students in the class, Bakugo and Todoroki, by everyone else. The one time Deku unleashed "100%" by using Eri's help, he was able to obliterate a gigantic stone monster Overhaul in a couple of blows with no real effort.

All Might's predecessors weren't as powerful as All Might because the explicitly explained nature of One For All is that it grows in power with every successive user; it's quite possible that OfA wasn't a match for AfO until All Might's time. By the same token, All Might's predecessors didn't leave the same mark on history that All Might did because All Might deliberately and consciously spent his entire career making a mark on history for a specific purpose. His entire goal was to become a famous propaganda symbol. He was helped immeasurably in this goal by having a quirk so powerful that literally no one he ever fought(barring All For One himself) was ever remotely capable of matching him, to the point where his mere existence was a crime deterrent. If One For All was anything less than invincibly powerful the entire "symbol of peace" schtick wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well as it did, because the entire concept relies on the symbol of peace being invincible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This arc was proceeded by the school festival which was legitimately some of the best writing for these dumb kids as dumb kids and friends the author has done but it has been a little slow due to holidays and health and introduced a plot point that may in fact sometime in the future be written badly to a varying degree of quality so there must be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from this thread because like every othe time the comic has been less than perfect (or mistreated a thread favorite character) it means the end of all things good and we're basically Bleach now.

Look, all I'm saying is that if Ashido doesn't get to do something cool in the next chapter, then gently caress this manga forever!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like this arc, it's just kind of a bummer the chapters are so short since that cuts stuff out of the fights while also simultaneously dragging it out at the same time. I was perfectly happy to see the other kids get to do stuff.

I think Horikoshi has given himself a really daunting writing task with this but I'm perfectly happy with it because it makes sense within the world established, and thank god- makes it so the rest of the series isn't just an dozen powerups where Deku can punch like 5% harder. Like, where could you go with just the super strength past a certain point? Once you are All Might's level being smart doesn't really even factor into it!

You're so much faster and stronger that defensive and movement related quirks pale in comparison to you, and you get ranged attacks from air blasts that let you avoid touch-based quirks. Past a certain % point, Midoriya being an analysis kind of fighter would be pointless because the answer would always be, "Use my blinding speed to close the distance and avoid their sight/attacks, then hit them once and I win."

Deku vs. Overhaul showed the result of that. Gigantic multi-armed monster with a death-touch power and Deku just pounded the complete dogshit out of him at 100%. Deku's super-strength progression slowing down and being replaced by utility quirks is WAY more interesting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The whole thing just feels really, really unnecessary.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ehhh. Horikoshi really hasn't earned that benefit. The manga's been mediocre-to-"fine" more often than anything else. That's the kind of thing you earn after getting, say, a Yorknew or Enies Lobby under your belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ehhh. Horikoshi really hasn't earned that benefit. The manga's been mediocre-to-"fine" more often than anything else. That's the kind of thing you earn after getting, say, a Yorknew or Enies Lobby under your belt.

I would argue that the OfA arc fits.