Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And he did use some techniques to reuse a lot of the same calculations, so it is somewhat optimized. I am sure there is more that can be done, but I'm not sure there is a ton of available optimizations if your intent is to do EVERYTHING. The biggest thing you could do is figure out which light sources can use a lightmap/don't need reflections but that would sorta be cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

In terms of raytracing the Q2 port has a lot more going on, BF5 uses standard rasterization/precalc tricks for most lighting then layers RT reflections on top whereas Q2 is raytracing all lighting across the board so everything is dynamic and accurate.

Full raytracing isn't going to be practical any time soon (or ever) but it's a cool proof of concept.

Gotcha, thanks for the correction.

e: vvvvv yeah it's crazy how much of a difference it makes and honestly is exciting as a precursor to what we can hopefully see soon in modern titles.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Realistic lighting, shadows and reflections with low poly assests in quake is kind of a mind gently caress and seriously incredible.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

With the RX Vega 64 at $400 pre-launch of the VII, if it were to fall to $350 would it be a better deal than the 2060?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

zer0spunk posted:

Realistic lighting, shadows and reflections with low poly assests in quake is kind of a mind gently caress and seriously incredible.

Thiefs going to be amazing with all that going on

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Holy poo poo imagine Daggerfall with it. Or Morrowind oh man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder how many old games would reveal lovely geometry cracks or other infelicities if they were subjected to physically accurate lighting instead of painstakingly tweaked emitters and light maps.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VelociBacon posted:

Morrowind oh man.

gently caress yea, I'd buy a 2080 for that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

dkj posted:

With the RX Vega 64 at $400 pre-launch of the VII, if it were to fall to $350 would it be a better deal than the 2060?

For people with hefty enough PSUs and Freesync monitors already, yes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

VelociBacon posted:

Holy poo poo imagine Daggerfall with it. Or Morrowind oh man.

Doom 1993 come on son

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Man, Morrowind loving owned. Wish Bethesda would get away from this MMO trash and do what they’re actually good at.

I’d buy the gently caress out of a 2080 Ti for RTX Morrowind.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Someone needs to do Raytraced Hexen.

Would buy RTX for that :shobon:

Filthy scum fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 20, 2019

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

e: double posting

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol I love that so far the most excitement rtx seems to have awakened in this thread is from people wanting to play 90s remakes

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol I love that so far the most excitement rtx seems to have awakened in this thread is from people wanting to play 90s remakes

I mean. Don’t get me wrong, there are some real goddamn good games now. But you can’t touch that nostalgia. Put it right in my veins, please.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I wonder how much actual legwork it would take to revamp old engines to support RTX.

Like it sounds rad but seems like a total engine redesign for a lot of games, no?

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm in this boat. I'd love to replay some oldies with all their terrible light handling fixed.

If for no other reason than it seems clear thus far that modern engines with modern texture sizes and geometric details and all, simpy are going to suck rear end until another generation or two of RTX before it's worth it? Could be wrong there but I'm certainly more excited for the potential for old games to look rad vs. COD5 having another slider for better shadows or w/e

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 20, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

tehinternet posted:

Man, Morrowind loving owned. Wish Bethesda would get away from this MMO trash and do what they’re actually good at.

Hope the openMW team think about it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

dkj posted:

If it's a good cooler model and if you're not averse to tinkering with voltages etc to reign in the absurd power consumption, yeah.
Modern Nvidia x60 you can buy any model, jam it in and forgettaboutit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Statutory Ape posted:

Did you see the q2 port? It looks really, loving, good. The lighting and reflections look fantastic despite low poly. Thus far current ten RTX on/off amounts to frame rate loss for nearly no improvement in visual fidelity.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's not just that games with lower detail let you actually do more effects and have good performance, it's also that older games don't have the obscene amount of visual noise that most newer games do, so lighting enhancements really pop.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Folks should play DUSK if they hadn’t yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bad news for AMD: Jen-Hsun Huang says Nvidia should have gotten rid of every last 1060 by the end of January.

Maybe we can finally get some actual new midrange GPUs all up in this.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Good, because it only took like 4.5 years for day 1 GTX 970 holders to double the perf/$

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Bad news for AMD: Jen-Hsun Huang says Nvidia should have gotten rid of every last 1060 by the end of January.

Maybe we can finally get some actual new midrange GPUs all up in this.

That was a pretty good read, wish more CEOs were willing to drop the bullshit once in a while. Thought this was a funny response.

quote:

Question: Do you see any pickup in crypto?

Huang: God, I hope not. That’s my wish for this year. Can we all please — I don’t want anybody buying cryptocurrencies, okay? Stop it. Enough already. Or buy Bitcoin, don’t buy Ethereum.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It would be if it ever happened.

From what little I know of the original Thief and Thief II engines though they were clusterfucks of kludged together hackery that made any modifications difficult to pull off.

I'd expect the fan made 'Dark Mod' using the modified Doom3/id Tech 4 stuff they used to get raytraced before the OG Thief/Thief II ever did.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Hoooooly poo poo same

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Statutory Ape posted:

Somewhere the Nvidia marketing director is shaking his head in disbelief

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Q2VKPT is seriously cool.

https://streamable.com/06ibg

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You finally might be able to get 60fps in morrowind with a RTX2080ti and RTX set to off

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Risky Bisquick posted:

You finally might be able to get 60fps in morrowind with a RTX2080ti and RTX set to off

At least Gamebyro back then offered nice looking DX8 water, now this POS couldn't hit over 60 fps without getting wonky

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Kazinsal posted:

Hoooooly poo poo same
For a decade after Morrowind came out, every time I got a new GPU I'd reinstall it with the most recent graphical overhaul mods just to experience the same feeling again. Each time I was struck by how awful it ran, given the massive increase in available GPU power. I'd happily pay for a modern engine remake of that game, it just has an insanely powerful atmosphere of being 'lived in' that is deeply immersive.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Precisely.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Riflen posted:

Q2VKPT is seriously cool.

https://streamable.com/06ibg

Towards the end of that gif when the last grenade casts that strogg's shadow on the wall, it looks unreal
It's going to be a very long time (15-20 years imo) before raytracing is the standard way of doing graphics in games but I cannot wait

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Towards the end of that gif when the last grenade casts that strogg's shadow on the wall, it looks unreal
It's going to be a very long time (15-20 years imo) before raytracing is the standard way of doing graphics in games but I cannot wait

Yeah that's a great observation. Why the 15-20 year timeframe though ?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

Yeah that's a great observation. Why the 15-20 year timeframe though ?

We're about to have a new generation of consoles drop this year or next, and I can't see the generation after that adopting it either. It's horrendously expensive computationally. This footage is of a 22 year-old game running at 1440p60 off a $1200 GPU. Although nvidia introduced consumer raytracing with RTX, the consoles still form the baseline for graphics in general. Raytracing would have to be introduced alongside other advances including bigger game worlds and potentially 8K resolution and possibly even higher in a decade's time.

It's purely guesswork obviously but that's quite a big hill to climb imo. It's all about the costs and feasibility of bringing it to the masses cheaply, while retaining all the other bells and whistles that have evolved over time.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I don't know about "the standard way of doing things", as you put it, but we'll be playing games using these methods very soon. Path tracing and ray tracing can help solve some of the most difficult problems of real time rendering. They'll be used alongside familiar raster techniques to improve image quality.

Some more footage of Q2VKPT: https://streamable.com/mxk4b

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814131740

Would this bundle be worth it with the 3 games you think?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Is running a full blown ray traced lighting in a modern game actually particularly more expensive than running full blown ray traced lighting in a 22 year old game? The differences in how hard it is to rasterize each one might be enormous, but the ray traced lighting shouldn't actually be that different between a modern game and a two decade old game I would think. They couldn't do this 22 years ago because it was the same amount of work then as it is now and even a super computer of the era fell well short of the level of performance necessary. This quake 2 thing is probably there because its a well known open source that probably wasn't terribly complicated to modify for RTX support. IIRC it has been stated that ray tracing is actually the easier method to implement because when you use it the computer does all the work of making everything look right.

Basically I'm guessing it isn't that it is easier to do on a 22 year old game, it is just that it took 22 years to get hardware fast enough to pull it off period.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

Is running a full blown ray traced lighting in a modern game actually particularly more expensive than running full blown ray traced lighting in a 22 year old game?

I'm assuming it isn't - it's just that in a modern game there's not much room left for the GPU to do ray tracing on top of everything else. Quake 2 does 1-2% of my GPU workload if I cap it to monitor refresh rate, while modern games routinely hit 80-100%. That's where I'm coming from with my admittedly extremely conservative 15-20 year fever dream prediction

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The developer of q2vkpt touched on that - apparently they're not bottlenecked on the actual raytracing (the RT core workload), but rather the lighting/shading calculations for each ray intersection (the CUDA core workload), so in theory they could trace against more complex geometry with similar performance.

quote:

Quake II is ancient! If these techniques have any future, it should run at 6000 FPS by now!
While it is true that Quake II is a relatively old game with rather low geometric complexity, the limiting factor of path tracing is not primarily raytracing or geometric complexity. In fact, the current prototype could trace many more rays without a notable change in frame rate. The computational cost of the techniques used in the Q2VKPT prototype mainly depend on the number of (indirect) light scattering computations and the number of light sources. Quake II was already designed with many light sources when it was first released, in that sense it is still quite a modern game. Also, the number of light scattering events does not depend on scene complexity. It is therefore thinkable that the techniques we use could well scale up to more recent games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Indiana_Krom posted:

Is running a full blown ray traced lighting in a modern game actually particularly more expensive than running full blown ray traced lighting in a 22 year old game? The differences in how hard it is to rasterize each one might be enormous, but the ray traced lighting shouldn't actually be that different between a modern game and a two decade old game I would think. They couldn't do this 22 years ago because it was the same amount of work then as it is now and even a super computer of the era fell well short of the level of performance necessary. This quake 2 thing is probably there because its a well known open source that probably wasn't terribly complicated to modify for RTX support. IIRC it has been stated that ray tracing is actually the easier method to implement because when you use it the computer does all the work of making everything look right.

Basically I'm guessing it isn't that it is easier to do on a 22 year old game, it is just that it took 22 years to get hardware fast enough to pull it off period.

It depends. This is touched on a bit in the FAQ for the project.
A game with both paths will provide new challenges for the art team for a start. The Q2VKPT people didn't thoroughly go through the whole game and adjust absolutely everything with path tracing in mind. There are sections that are completely pitch black because of how the original lights and art were made.
Also they didn't have time to solve tougher problems like particles and transparencies, so they removed them (no railgun trail).

Still, I found it fascinating to play. Here's me feeling my way through a pitch black room with only the laser shots and grenades to light my way. Notice at the start how enemies came out of the shadows naturally. This is not specifically designed and just happens because of realistic light simulation.

https://streamable.com/7rjkg