Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean I'll forgive him because he is a two month white belt

I am starting to get worried for the guy though because he is like 6'3" and a former wrestler so he has a lot of newbie power but some of the older guys will probably start getting pissed if he gets too cocky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I once had a teammate continue to triangle me after I’d tapped (repeated taps at a time just to be clear) twice. He had gotten good quickly, and became frustrated with everyone’s lack of relative ability, and started being a bit naughty.

My third set of taps were open palms to his face, and we never rolled together after that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I once had a teammate continue to triangle me after I’d tapped (repeated taps at a time just to be clear) twice. He had gotten good quickly, and became frustrated with everyone’s lack of relative ability, and started being a bit naughty.

My third set of taps were open palms to his face, and we never rolled together after that.

This is some bullshit, I hope you told your coach about this.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

This is some bullshit, I hope you told your coach about this.

Yeah, he was watching. Me and the teammate nearly ended up having a full-on fistfight in front of the class. It all got dealt with in the end.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

Rule is that you stop when the bell rings/time is called. We get in situations all the time where an instructor calls time just as you get the sub on. We always let go and laugh it off as being saved by the bell. Anyone who fights for a sub post bell/time is going to get hammered in the future. Let me put this as bluntly as possible so people understand my feeling about this. If you ignore the bell, I will ignore the tap.

Thank god you and others are saying this. It sounded crazy to me that people would keep going for a sub after the round is over (I don't mean a couple of friends agreeing to keep rolling into the next round or whatever, that is understandable but different)

I was like, "Am I missing something? There is never a reason to keep going after a round is over, it's like sports 101" Different gym cultures I guess, but if your "culture" is to keep a sub on after the round is over your gym sucks and trouble is a brewing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There was a dude who tried out our school a few weeks ago who was like 5'8" and 350 lbs and I wish he had stuck with it because rolling with a body like that would be fascinating.

I did one round with him but he didnt have a gi and my no gi is trash so I didnt get a good feel for it

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean I'll forgive him because he is a two month white belt

I am starting to get worried for the guy though because he is like 6'3" and a former wrestler so he has a lot of newbie power but some of the older guys will probably start getting pissed if he gets too cocky

Oh, yeah, in that case probably just new and over enthusiastic. I have not really got to witness the whole "gym enforcer" thing at my place in 3 years (I guess we are lucky to not have any real shitheads come in or I have just missed it) but maybe this is the time for a purple belt to knee on belly the guy for 5 min without taping him? ;)

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a dude who tried out our school a few weeks ago who was like 5'8" and 350 lbs and I wish he had stuck with it because rolling with a body like that would be fascinating.

I did one round with him but he didnt have a gi and my no gi is trash so I didnt get a good feel for it

we had a guy with similar numbers come in but he was also a competitive power lifter so he was built like a gorilla. very nice guy but didn't come back after an overzealous visiting black belt from Brazil forced him over for a back roll shortly after the guy had finished describing his extensive neck surgery

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Holy poo poo.

Grapplefolks argue about rules a lot, but there is exactly one that nobody ever disputes. The tap is sacred. It's what makes our whole stupid thing actually work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

we had a guy with similar numbers come in but he was also a competitive power lifter so he was built like a gorilla. very nice guy but didn't come back after an overzealous visiting black belt from Brazil forced him over for a back roll shortly after the guy had finished describing his extensive neck surgery

Yeah, one of the downsides of being 6'0" 235 is that there are very few dudes who I am not heavier or stronger than, so it's easy to over rely on strength over technique. There are only maybe two dudes at the school who are significantly larger than me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In addition to all the good safety issues, I stop right at the bell because I only have a minute or whatever until the next round. I need that minute!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

In addition to all the good safety issues, I stop right at the bell because I only have a minute or whatever until the next round. I need that minute!!

30 seconds for us lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mel rolling in Tabata cycles, goddamn.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

its like loving musical chairs sometimes, bell rings and we are all sprinting around looking for a new dude to roll with

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Depending on who is running the gym timer that day we roll anywhere from 5-8min rounds with 30-90sec rest. It's basically at random intervals.

When I rolled at Sergio's a few times he would literally just decide when the round was over, most times it's about 10mins sometimes he'd just neglect to end the round for like 20mins.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Crap messed this post up and don’t feel like retyping but...how do I get out of the wrestlers headlock side control

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Crap messed this post up and don’t feel like retyping but...how do I get out of the wrestlers headlock side control

I saw a dude yesterday in this exact situation just take their back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra2sdnnQDMU&t=87s

1:30 of this video is what I usually do but you gotta be flexible for it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Scarf/Kesa? Start here for some ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dG5kLqlFw&t=594s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's weird we both went for head scissors because almost no one at my school uses them

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Wow that’s so simple and looks effective. I am sure when I try it I will end up splayed out like a spatchcocked chicken somehow

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's weird we both went for head scissors because almost no one at my school uses them

I watched your vid before posting, Scully's vid has a couple more techniques after so I wanted to give him a couple more options.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Wow that’s so simple and looks effective. I am sure when I try it I will end up splayed out like a spatchcocked chicken somehow

What's dope about a head scissors is that a. They never see it coming and b. They freak the gently caress out

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Start here with this basic stuff. Fancy stuff is cool, but basic stuff works far more often (until you drill the poo poo out of the fancy stuff :getin:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Im8IKc8NeY

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 22, 2019

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The real battle against someone who knows what they're doing in kesa is going to be getting the elbow of your inside arm back to the mat ASAP, preferably before they've finished securing the position. You're gonna have a hell of a time getting any escapes started without that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Bridging first, then rolling is the most consistent scarf escape for me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I scoot my hips as close to my partner's as possible, bridge into him, trying to get my hips under his. If I succeed, its easy to roll him to the opposite side. If you fail, you can flail a bit and maybe regain half-guard or guard. I did the latter against a huge brown belt and he complimented me on it, so it must be good.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Nestharken posted:

The real battle against someone who knows what they're doing in kesa is going to be getting the elbow of your inside arm back to the mat ASAP, preferably before they've finished securing the position. You're gonna have a hell of a time getting any escapes started without that.

This. I've been caught in the armlock where they put your arm between there legs many times.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I love that arm lock so much

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
It's a good armbar (and I love the Americana from there too, and there's also a kimura-like shoulder lock there that's eluded me so far), but I was referring more to the position itself. Kesting touches on it a little bit in the video above--when your elbow is pulled up, it's impossible to get onto your side, and the top guy can turn you into a human panini when you're on your back there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There's a shoulder lock from scarf that's basically like a heel hook on the elbow if the guy on bottom is grabbing your waist, it's pretty cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Bridging first, then rolling is the most consistent scarf escape for me.

this + scooping your hip under their hips between the bridge and the roll.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Is scarf another name for that wrestlers headlock?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is scarf another name for that wrestlers headlock?

Scarf hold or Kesa Gatame

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Hurt my knee on my second roll. Just tweaked it standing passing. Ugh.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gym drama update, happy edition:

The entire morning crew and I think most of the lunch crew at the collapsed gym have been absorbed back into my old gym, my favourite teacher is back, and they'll soon be expanding from 3 morning classes per week to 5 morning classes per week, and then I can live that Yuns life.

:discourse:

And we got suddenly affiliated into Atos with no warning, (possibly to distance ourselves from the damaged 'brand' of the other gym) and Galvao will be visiting soon.

:discourse::discourse:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Oh and I heelhooked six people today

:discourse::discourse::discourse:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's great and all but SAGK rash guards when?

Fake edit - jk, cool to hear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happy endings :unsmith:

Rolls tonight were really good. No big stories - I didn't heel hook anyone or anything fancy. Just good rolls and good vibes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We had a 40 minute warmup aka cardio session before class today... One of our purple belts who I dominate decided to neck crank me and I popped my knee. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

One of our purple belts who I dominate decided to neck crank me and I popped my knee

that sounds like a hell of a neck crank