Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I finished my Maloof style pub table. I need to take some better pictures of it. 42" tall, 35" diameter top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mds2 posted:

I finished my Maloof style pub table. I need to take some better pictures of it. 42" tall, 35" diameter top.

Looks great.

What's the wood / finish?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any of you own / ever use an old Craftsman jointer?

There's a Craftsman 103 model nearby that looks decent from pics https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/d/lincoln-36-joiner-craftmans/6801883665.html

Also there's typically a good 113 up in the listings every few weeks not too far away and replacement blades for those are under $20. I was just curious if anyone has / uses one and if they would recommend to stay far away or if they are fairly decent. I don't mind if they are a bit fussy to set up, I don't plan on daily or heavy use.

I've got my 113 table saw up and running and even with the homemade fence I cocked up for it it's operating quite nicely with a new blade, belt and pulleys and microjig splitter. Hoping maybe one of these older jointers might be a similar case.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

There's a Craftsman 103 model nearby that looks decent from pics https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/d/lincoln-36-joiner-craftmans/6801883665.html

Also there's typically a good 113 up in the listings every few weeks not too far away and replacement blades for those are under $20. I was just curious if anyone has / uses one and if they would recommend to stay far away or if they are fairly decent. I don't mind if they are a bit fussy to set up, I don't plan on daily or heavy use.

I've got my 113 table saw up and running and even with the homemade fence I cocked up for it it's operating quite nicely with a new blade, belt and pulleys and microjig splitter. Hoping maybe one of these older jointers might be a similar case.
I don’t know anything about craftsman jointers specifically, but thats pretty short for a jointer. The infeed table especially looks like it’s a foot long. It depends on what scale work you want to do-it may not matter if you just do small stuff- but the length of the tables on a jointer has a whole lot to do with how well it can straighten stock. That being said, it’s prety cheap and may be perfect for a first jointer.

And don’t worry, all jointers are more than a bit fussy to set up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know anything about craftsman jointers specifically, but thats pretty short for a jointer. The infeed table especially looks like it’s a foot long. It depends on what scale work you want to do-it may not matter if you just do small stuff- but the length of the tables on a jointer has a whole lot to do with how well it can straighten stock. That being said, it’s prety cheap and may be perfect for a first jointer.

And don’t worry, all jointers are more than a bit fussy to set up.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, about how long of a piece would a jointer like that be able to flatten properly? So far I've been doing mine with a jointer hand plane and winding sticks on one side then taking it to the machine planer but hey that gets a bit slow and I am not all that great at getting it "just right" without taking too much crap off of the board.

E: also is this something one could feasibly build infeed/outfeed tables onto or is that just a futile effort?

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 24, 2019

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

That Works posted:

Looks great.

What's the wood / finish?

Solid walnut with BLO, shellac and a couple coats of poly on the table top.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The infeed table is the limiting factor for straightening stuff-I would say 2 to maybe 3x the length of the infeed table is probably a decent guess/rule of thumb for how long a board it will straighten.

You could theoretically make table extensions, but I think it would be difficult in practice. Jointers are very picky about setup and only do what they’re supposed to do well if the tables are perfectly flat and parallel with each other across the length and width. If you just want to roughly face join stuff before running it through the planer you could probably do it, but if you were looking to make nice sprung glue joints I think your table extensions would probably work against you if they weren’t just perfect. The infeed table has to be able to move up and down too which complicates things as well.

All that being said, if you’re face joining stuff by hand a $150 jointer, even if it isn’t perfect, is going to save you a ton of time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The infeed table is the limiting factor for straightening stuff-I would say 2 to maybe 3x the length of the infeed table is probably a decent guess/rule of thumb for how long a board it will straighten.

You could theoretically make table extensions, but I think it would be difficult in practice. Jointers are very picky about setup and only do what they’re supposed to do well if the tables are perfectly flat and parallel with each other across the length and width. If you just want to roughly face join stuff before running it through the planer you could probably do it, but if you were looking to make nice sprung glue joints I think your table extensions would probably work against you if they weren’t just perfect. The infeed table has to be able to move up and down too which complicates things as well.

All that being said, if you’re face joining stuff by hand a $150 jointer, even if it isn’t perfect, is going to save you a ton of time.

Thank you for putting things in some relative perspective. Makes it easier to decide if it's worth it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A lot of people collect Stanley planes and it really drives up the prices on eBay etc. I’ve had good luck with old used Sargent planes and a lot of times you can get them much cheaper than Stanley.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I'll key an eye out for different brands. Looking to spend south of $50 for a first plane so I guess the general consensus is keep your eyes peeled for an older one and skip the newer manufacture stuff?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That Works posted:

Those old joiners were pretty ok. Check the knives for dings and maybe bring a piece of wood and see if he'll let you do a trial run.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bob Mundon posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I'll key an eye out for different brands. Looking to spend south of $50 for a first plane so I guess the general consensus is keep your eyes peeled for an older one and skip the newer manufacture stuff?

Pre- Civil War, you say? https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/d/oklahoma-city-carpenter-tools/6772610430.html

Or how about a Rabbbbettt, doc? https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/d/macomb-stanley-no-50-rabbiting-wood/6784222092.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got a couple early to mid 20th century Union planes that seem to be of equivalent quality to the old Stanleys, but a much less well-known brand.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I got a couple early to mid 20th century Union planes that seem to be of equivalent quality to the old Stanleys, but a much less well-known brand.

I was given a Union Jack plane as a gift for officiating a wedding. It’s is one of my favorites. They are heavy duty versions of the Stanley Bedrock. Fantastic planes.

Stanley bought out Union and closed them down.

Edit:

mds2 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 25, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

r00tn00b posted:

So I went on my weekly antique shop romp looking for old blacksmithing tools and I found these two hand planars for sale, 8 and 4 dollars and figured it would be silly not to grab them at such a price. How much work (considering I have a ameture metal shop at my disposal for my knife making and blacksmithing) would it be to refurbish these guys to working condition? it looks like they might have sat on a wet surface for a while.

Antique hand tool restoration is wonderfully satisfying and an excellent hobby. Once you get into practice, it becomes almost routine and you get a sort of production line mentality. Here's a good channel for interesting old implement restoration, and the video is plane-specific. He's much quicker than mere mortals, however!

Plane restoration is addictive and if you get into it a habit can easily develop. Old tools are everywhere and, if you learn what to look for, you'll always have a wellspring of old rusty poo poo to refurbish. My latest is a $5 Bailey 5 from the old days before they merged with Stanley (iirc Stanley made blades, Bailey made tools), and it turned out pretty cool despite being in absolutely dismal shape with rust, pitting, and painted handles. You have to be careful about the blades, though, like mentioned earlier-- they do best with either a low-rpm, sharpening-specific grinder or hand-sharpening to avoid distempering. (Super sorry for huge and lovely phone post images.)

Old tools are super cool and good.

loving WHAT
Where did their dead grandpa get a Kikkoman bucket

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 25, 2019

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Antique hand tool restoration is wonderfully satisfying and an excellent hobby. Once you get into practice, it becomes almost routine and you get a sort of production line mentality. Here's a good channel for interesting old implement restoration, and the video is plane-specific. He's much quicker than mere mortals, however!

Plane restoration is addictive and if you get into it a habit can easily develop. Old tools are everywhere and, if you learn what to look for, you'll always have a wellspring of old rusty poo poo to refurbish. My latest is a $5 Bailey 5 from the old days before they merged with Stanley (iirc Stanley made blades, Bailey made tools), and it turned out pretty cool despite being in absolutely dismal shape with rust, pitting, and painted handles. You have to be careful about the blades, though, like mentioned earlier-- they do best with either a low-rpm, sharpening-specific grinder or hand-sharpening to avoid distempering. (Super sorry for huge and lovely phone post images.)

Man I must really not know where to look. I’ve stopped at antique stores, second hand stores etc, and I’ve come up completely dry. I would love to find a couple of old planes and fix them up.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

loving WHAT
Where did their dead grandpa get a Kikkoman bucket

Restaurant supply store. The one here has several different liquid condiments in bucket form, along with 3 foot long spaghetti noodles and entire skinned frozen goats.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Falco posted:

Man I must really not know where to look. I’ve stopped at antique stores, second hand stores etc, and I’ve come up completely dry. I would love to find a couple of old planes and fix them up.

Plus Ebay seems to suggest $70 when you include shipping is the low end for a decent bench plane....

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Blindeye posted:

Plus Ebay seems to suggest $70 when you include shipping is the low end for a decent bench plane....

Looks and a good pedigree are neat, but any ugly old plane from an antique store can be just fine and dandy for actual work if you tune it. Wherever you find it, all that matters is a flat sole, a sharp iron, and a properly adjusted chip breaker. Planes are the fussiest possible things to tune but once you get them right they sing in your hand and it's really pleasurable. It definitely takes some time, though, to find solid ones and get them to a usable state. (And don't get me started on saws, holy poo poo.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just learned something new and miraculous today. Turns out some googling would have told me this, but it was news to me.

I’ve never loved shellac as a finish entirely because it is a pain to sand-clogs any kind of paper in an instant even if it’s dried for weeks. I was sanding down some thick shellac I’d gooped on to fill grain and getting frustrated when I decided to try paint thinner instead of water as lube with 320 SC wet/dry paper. Game changer. Suddenly it stands beatifully-no clogging at all and leveled the whole thing out waaaay faster with just one piece of paper. Now I’m gonna have to try it on lacquer too-shouldn’t hurt it once it’s cured a bit.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Isn't that basically what a French polish is? Sanding with alcohol and shellac to relevel, grain fill, etc?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MetaJew posted:

Isn't that basically what a French polish is? Sanding with alcohol and shellac to relevel, grain fill, etc?
Kind of. I was being lazy and instead of rubbing it all with pumice and shellac to fill the grain like a traditional french polish (which takes foreverrrrrr) I just gooped on a bunch of shellac and then cut it down level and filled all the pores with shellac. Alcohol dissolves shellac so trying to use it to wet sand would just make a giant mess, but you do use alcohol to keep the finish flat and level when french polishing. In this case, once I got the grain filled I switched over to padding on padding lacquer (which is actually shellac?) very much like a french polish.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Cool!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Well a saw finally got me. Resawing some cherry and hand slipped on the piece of scrap push stick. Thumb went into the blade about 1/8". 3 stiches in the tip of my thumb :( I'm lucky it missed the fingernail.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Well a saw finally got me. Resawing some cherry and hand slipped on the piece of scrap push stick. Thumb went into the blade about 1/8". 3 stiches in the tip of my thumb :( I'm lucky it missed the fingernail.

Glad it wasn't worse. I always took/take those near misses as "paying dues, now leave me be, Accident Deity."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A couple of times now I've had my router table's bit start to climb out of the collet in the middle of a cut. That is, the bit actually changes position in the collet. Scary, to say the least. It's happened once with a 1/4" spiral bit, once with a 3/8" dovetail bit. I'm cranking the collet down as tight as I can manage. Is this the collet going bad or do I need to ditch the entire router? Or is this some "oh yeah, you need to do this bit of routine maintenance" thing that I'm not aware of?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A couple of times now I've had my router table's bit start to climb out of the collet in the middle of a cut. That is, the bit actually changes position in the collet. Scary, to say the least. It's happened once with a 1/4" spiral bit, once with a 3/8" dovetail bit. I'm cranking the collet down as tight as I can manage. Is this the collet going bad or do I need to ditch the entire router? Or is this some "oh yeah, you need to do this bit of routine maintenance" thing that I'm not aware of?

Make sure the collet and bit are clean and smooth. If there's any rust, clean it up with 600 grit-ish sandpaper. Also bit needs to not be inserted all the way, and definitely not inserted too little. You usually want between 1/8-1/4" between the cutter and the collet. Also if it's a 1/2" collet with an old school 1/4" reducer adapter, it's just sort of destined to be junk. Most modern routers have a separate nut and collet for 1/2 and 1/4.

Really cheap bits can be undersize sometimes too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Ouch ouch ouch. I chewed up the end of my thumb in a tablesaw a few years ago ripping off some tiny mouldings and it was decidedly unpleasant. The good news is the tips of your fingers are some of the fastest healing/regrowing skin on your body according to my surgeon cousin. Bandsaw or tablesaw?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I only gave myself splinters doing this

Give 'em the clamps

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
bandsaw; blade was kinda dull and I was putting more pressure than I probably should have on it. I made a stupid mistake and paid for it. I am glad it was after I got done teaching the wood shop 101 safety class this morning :downs:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Huxley posted:

What is it about woodworkers that make us build something beautiful, then go out of our way to point out to everyone the places we messed it up a little? I built a nice drawer insert for our kitchen with three wonderful dovetails, but I nearly tripped over myself pulling it out of the drawer to show my dad the one loose one.

I’m no master builder, but I think it’s rooted in 2 places:
1) we long to point out where we’ve hosed up so as to recognize to others we are capable of doing it better, and this wasn’t “the best we can do”.
2) woodworking feels like a hobby that is very much about “learning” so it feels natural to kind of do post-mortems on your work...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well hell. As I was assembling this door I thought to myself, "It should probably hinge from the right side so that you're not stuck between the fridge trying to use what will probably be a useless cabinet."

Then I discovered that the "designer" who picked it out chose the "left hinge" door instead of the right so I can't change the configuration on the fly. I decide to go with it and see how bad it will be, and

Another trip to Ikea to try and exchange this expensive or at least tedious mistake. I really should've just chosen a deep corner cabinet like I have on the other side of the sink.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
After looking around for a first plane, eyeballing this guy. Look ok to you guys?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-HERCULES-NO-1409-SMOOTH-PLANE-W-HERCULES-GOLDEN-CUTTER-/202505757785

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Bob Mundon posted:

After looking around for a first plane, eyeballing this guy. Look ok to you guys?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-HERCULES-NO-1409-SMOOTH-PLANE-W-HERCULES-GOLDEN-CUTTER-/202505757785

For that matter, any thoughts on this absolute unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wood-Working-Sargent-VBM-18-Long-x-2-7-8-Wood-Plane/312436859419?hash=item48beb0221b:g:C4cAAOSw~~5cRN8H

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

Well hell. As I was assembling this door I thought to myself, "It should probably hinge from the right side so that you're not stuck between the fridge trying to use what will probably be a useless cabinet."

Then I discovered that the "designer" who picked it out chose the "left hinge" door instead of the right so I can't change the configuration on the fly. I decide to go with it and see how bad it will be, and

Another trip to Ikea to try and exchange this expensive or at least tedious mistake. I really should've just chosen a deep corner cabinet like I have on the other side of the sink.

I tolja the fridge there would kill that corner...But, Noooooooooo...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Make sure the collet and bit are clean and smooth. If there's any rust, clean it up with 600 grit-ish sandpaper. Also bit needs to not be inserted all the way, and definitely not inserted too little. You usually want between 1/8-1/4" between the cutter and the collet. Also if it's a 1/2" collet with an old school 1/4" reducer adapter, it's just sort of destined to be junk. Most modern routers have a separate nut and collet for 1/2 and 1/4.

Really cheap bits can be undersize sometimes too.

Thanks for the advice. I knew about how to properly install bits, and this was a 1/2" collet. But I took it apart and there was a decent amount of rust and miscellaneous gunk (probably old sawdust) which came off when I attacked it with sandpaper and my dremel's wire wheel. I've run ~15 feet of wood through the router now and so far the bit's staying put. Fingers crossed, I guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

I tolja the fridge there would kill that corner...But, Noooooooooo...

You were too late either way, hombre.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

You were too late either way, hombre.

I'd think about leaving the doors off, but you probably don't want to do that. Here's a thought- there's track hardware that will let the doors slide back into the cabinet, but you lose a couple inches on either side, and the hardware's expensive. I only used it on entertainment centers where they wanted the doors to slide out of the way from a big screen tv.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'd think about leaving the doors off, but you probably don't want to do that. Here's a thought- there's track hardware that will let the doors slide back into the cabinet, but you lose a couple inches on either side, and the hardware's expensive. I only used it on entertainment centers where they wanted the doors to slide out of the way from a big screen tv.

I had thought about keeping the doors off. Maybe pull out the carousel and make it the feeding station for my cat. Heh.

I think when the designer planned the kitchen, her model assumed I had a cabinet depth fridge... And I don't want to spend the money on that at the moment.

I'm going to try to exchange the door today and see if the opposite side hinge fixes the problem, at least as a stop gap.

Can you link me to that type of door hardware you mentioned? I had also thought something sort of like that could fix it but I don't know what my options are.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

I had thought about keeping the doors off. Maybe pull out the carousel and make it the feeding station for my cat. Heh.

I think when the designer planned the kitchen, her model assumed I had a cabinet depth fridge... And I don't want to spend the money on that at the moment.

I'm going to try to exchange the door today and see if the opposite side hinge fixes the problem, at least as a stop gap.

Can you link me to that type of door hardware you mentioned? I had also thought something sort of like that could fix it but I don't know what my options are.

Flipper door hardware or cabinet pocket door hardware are the keywords- it's tricky poo poo because you have to have vertical wooden braces also, but it's a good feeling when you get it right.

https://www.cshardware.com/hardware/furniture-hardware/entertainment-center-flipper-door-hardware

https://www.rockler.com/ez-pocket-door-system-pocket-door-slide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Flipper door hardware or cabinet pocket door hardware are the keywords- it's tricky poo poo because you have to have vertical wooden braces also, but it's a good feeling when you get it right.

https://www.cshardware.com/hardware/furniture-hardware/entertainment-center-flipper-door-hardware

https://www.rockler.com/ez-pocket-door-system-pocket-door-slide

Thanks! This looks like it might be a good, if :20bux: fix. I'll look into it if the opposite Hing doesn't fix my problem.

It does seem more efficient for accessing the cabinet than an outswinging door.

Ikea's cabinet hinge hardware is pretty nice Blum stuff. I wonder if they already sell something like this.