Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

Still working on my P-51. I decided to go with a Tuskegee Airmen paint scheme over the raw aluminum. I don't believe they ever flew K models, but hey.

Honestly the reason I got this kit was the engine and gun bay details, so I'm definately leaving it open. I'd love to do a little hanger diorama later for it.

The fit continues to be trash, getting the wings together was an affair of pinching the gently caress out of glued seams while watching youtube videos. I do like how all the flight surfaces are able to be set to whatever angle you want, even the trim tabs are seperate parts.

Still some additional paint to do, a yellow stripe along the wings and propellor tips.

You can see how the gun bays don't even line up with the panels in the wings. They're so far off you can see past them into the wing where there was just no detail. So I cut a few extra bits of sprue and glued them in for wing ribs, it ended up pretty passable.

Looking good. What scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ICM 2019 Catalog: your one stop shop for ancillary WW2 vehicles (IE trucks)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nice.

I wish there was more 1:72 cold war stuff. There's a decent range of planes/tanks out there, but I'm weird and want SAMs and their radar suites and other more obscure poo poo. There's some out there, but they're small run resin kits and are hella expensive. At least Trumpeter is releasing some unusual stuff sometimes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Airfix used to do a Bloodhound missile. See if you can ebay one.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There's a couple out there. Sa-2 sa6 are doable in 1/72. Shilkas and strelas as well. My main problem is I'm trying to stick to 1:72.

All kind of moot since I don't want to buy anything until I'm done with the 2 planes I've got, and then I have to help my dad with some Tamiya motorcycles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I didn't know this was a thing:

Restoring matchbox cars

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I didn't know this was a thing:

Restoring matchbox cars

This guy's channel is pretty good too, I got into it when I was making cars for the Gaslands tabletop game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baremetalHW

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Scored a Lamborghini miura kit off my younger brother for my birthday. It’ll be my first kit without piles of decals which should make for a nice change. Downside is the body is molded in red plastic which might be a pain given I want to paint it yellow.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Scored a Lamborghini miura kit off my younger brother for my birthday. It’ll be my first kit without piles of decals which should make for a nice change. Downside is the body is molded in red plastic which might be a pain given I want to paint it yellow.

Gray primer > white primer > color. Definitely use white primer for the yellow.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Gray primer > white primer > color. Definitely use white primer for the yellow.

This man is wise, listen to him

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been plugging away at some fairly odd jobs at the model shop I work in. My boss has realized that despite looking like a great lumbering ogre, I have the patience and skill to handle really fiddly tiny work. She tasked me with making a bunch of figures and features for an architectural model we are currently modifying. I'm really good with a paint brush, but you'd never know it to look at what I've been working on as I painted everything to match the style of the existing figures on the model. Everything is OO scale, or somewhere around 1:75.

First up is a stroller and trike that I made from a combination of styrene, green stuff and steel wire. Shown to give some sort of reference for size is a Canadian loonie. These things are pretty small.

Here's a pair of kids playing with a remote control car. These were made from existing 1:85 scale figures (which are slightly smaller than the 1:75 ones used elsewhere). The remote control car is plexiglass and styrene.

Some figures are going to be having a barbeque. Here is a woman holding a can of... something. The astute fan of 80s and 90s professional wrestling may note certain trends in the colour schemes used.

Here is a picnic table and chair set (with half the chairs missing as they are in the box with about 30 others). The table is balsa sheet with plexiglass legs. The chairs are made from acrylic strips softened with a heat gun and bent around a jig. I made a pile of these for future projects yesterday.

Here are two street lights I did for the same model. These will be wired into the base; they are made from 2mm brass tube and styrene with 0402 LEDs for illumination. Those things are absolutely minuscule.

I'll get some pictures of the buildings we have been working on. While I find the style generally ugly (my tastes veer pretty strongly towards more classical forms of architecture for the most part), I am very proud of the technical skill we have demonstrated in realizing the architect's vision. I won't be posting much more as a professional model builder as I got word this week that I have been hired in a role related to my profession (social work) but some updates on my Bluenose build will be coming in the future.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just speculating, but wouldn't it just be easier to use pre-painted model train figures? Seems like the last thing the client would care about in an architectural dio is what the figs look like. Just there for scale and ambiance really.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just speculating, but wouldn't it just be easier to use pre-painted model train figures? Seems like the last thing the client would care about in an architectural dio is what the figs look like. Just there for scale and ambiance really.

Normally, yes. This time we got a bunch of very specific instructions and it wound up being faster, easier and cheaper to kitbash and custom build what you see here than to source it, order it and wait for it to arrive. And in some cases, especially with regards to furniture or fixtures there are no pre-made options available so it's time to scratch build reasonably accurate representations. A lot of the pre-made stuff has to be ordered from abroad and the Canadian dollar has not been spectacularly strong vs. the USD or GBP so making it locally is more justifiable. In this project, the figures are taking a larger role because the client really wants to drive home the habitability of the space and wishes to portray it as a living, happy community.

I've really enjoyed creating prototypes of fixtures and then figuring out ways to streamline the production process to increase speed and minimize material waste, which probably says some alarming things about what I consider to be "fun."

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 25, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Done the other side and the roof. I'm ready to close up the fighting compartment.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

How do you do your whites Ensign Expendable?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Stynilrez white primer is very opaque and works fine over the tan plastic, you just need to apply it in layers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Got my desk setup properly for making models now. Just built the white box on the desk today for painting. I'd like a proper extraction system but whatcha going to do. I'll be doing mostly acrylic with the window open so I probably won't gas myself to death. I love the lamp I have and the led ring magnifying desk lamp makes fiddling with tiny parts much easier. Disassembled my airbrush and gave it a clean and lubrication. Reminded me of greasing a watch actually. Only wish I had the paint! It's a public holiday tomorrow so the earliest I can get any is Tuesday. I suppose I could actually organise all the poo poo on that desk but :effort:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good modern kit for a classic car? My dad is building this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-1...AUAAOSwqLRcLTPJ and I want to do one with him. I was thinking of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITALERI-...aXsfF:rk:7:pf:0 - any other recommendations? I'd much rather get something smaller like a 1/24 if there are detail parts available that I can use to supe it up - rather than just a big kit which ends up chunky.

Anyway, here's some tiiiny wagons I've completed now - they've been half done on my workbench since before Christmas and i've already learned so much in the meantime that they seem quite crude, but I'm satisfied they're complete:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 27, 2019

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Enos Shenk posted:

You can see how the gun bays don't even line up with the panels in the wings. They're so far off you can see past them into the wing where there was just no detail. So I cut a few extra bits of sprue and glued them in for wing ribs, it ended up pretty passable.

Oh man that is sexy as gently caress.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Done the other side and the roof. I'm ready to close up the fighting compartment.

Carth Dookie posted:

Got my desk setup properly for making models now. Just built the white box on the desk today for painting. I'd like a proper extraction system but whatcha going to do. I'll be doing mostly acrylic with the window open so I probably won't gas myself to death. I love the lamp I have and the led ring magnifying desk lamp makes fiddling with tiny parts much easier. Disassembled my airbrush and gave it a clean and lubrication. Reminded me of greasing a watch actually. Only wish I had the paint! It's a public holiday tomorrow so the earliest I can get any is Tuesday. I suppose I could actually organise all the poo poo on that desk but :effort:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Latest on the beast

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the best way to mark styrene for cutting accurately? I seem to be mostly guessing (especially when the parts get small (i.e. <10mm square)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finally got around to using my airbrush for the first time. I was using it to paint the cockpit walls of my P 47, the seat, floor and instrument panel. It went both better and worse than expected. The good part was I learned pretty quickly just how far a little paint can go at 1/72 scale and didn't flub the actual painting too badly. Thinning is obviously an art I'm going to have to practice more because I'm pretty sure I thinned too much. On the plus side, I didn't get any rough spots so it was atomising well. It looks very "flat" which is great. I applied multiple thin coats so it has good coverage, but I found the colour had some slight variation. I suspect I didn't apply it evenly. I don't think it looks bad though, and for an interior of a WW2 aircraft, it will pass for weathering and be offset by some hand painting and washes I'm going to apply. I will definitely have to be much smoother when doing the fuselage and wings though. I also realised just how very smooth you have to sand sprue join marks down. It was quite surprising. I only spilled a little bit of paint and I had laid down proper protection and was using gloves so no permanent damage. I'll post the cockpit when it's done if I can take a decent picture. Damned small thing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Multiple coats with a little time for the paint to flash between? Heavily diluted acrylics are susceptible to fading when they're fully try too, fwiw.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Multiple coats with a little time for the paint to flash between? Heavily diluted acrylics are susceptible to fading when they're fully try too, fwiw.

Yeah that's how I did it. Curious to see how it looks tomorrow.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Southern Heel posted:

What's the best way to mark styrene for cutting accurately? I seem to be mostly guessing (especially when the parts get small (i.e. <10mm square)

I use digital calipers. They work great.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Okay, this is the strangest thing that's ever happened to me. During my vacation I picked up a small Revell kit (05899) and upon returning home today I discover that the sealed box doesn't contain any sprues. Just the instructions, standard warning note and the flags. What the hell?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smoke posted:

Okay, this is the strangest thing that's ever happened to me. During my vacation I picked up a small Revell kit (05899) and upon returning home today I discover that the sealed box doesn't contain any sprues. Just the instructions, standard warning note and the flags. What the hell?

Surprise! A very rare ethereal kit. Can only be made in a ghost bottle.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Airbrushed cockpit update after overnight drying:

Looks pretty good. Not perfect, but not so bad I feel the need to go over it again. The interior green panel floor, seat and rear wall evened out a bit. The fuselage interior green walls not so much, but there's a lot of hand painted detail to be added today which I'm sure will improve it. Most surprising was how even and consistent the black instrument panel turned out. I expected it to be the most difficult because of the colour and because I initially overthinned the paint and had to correct it, but it looks really good. No instrument decals in this kit so brush detail painting is the order of the day. I never used to like brush painting, I think because I was obliged to brush paint larger areas better suited to airbrushing, but I'm rather looking forward to the detail work.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Smoke posted:

Most model kits are still packed manually, so this sort of thing happens from time to time. Most companies have contact methods to send you the parts you're missing, but Revell might be a bit tricky (in the US, at least) because of their implosion and resurrection over the past year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Italeri is adding to their 1/35 torpedo boat series this year with the Higgins '78, and I for one am thrilled to have another one on my wishlist that I can't afford :negative:

Italeri 2019 catalogue

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Apparently my hands have gone wobbly since I did this last. Painting the cockpit has been challenging. I'm curious to see how washes affect it now. On the plus side, the instrument panel turned out reasonably well. The dry brushing metallic silver really added depth. Then I stuffed it a bit trying to add a clear varnish drop to each instrument circle to imitate glass. We'll see how it turns out after it dries overnight.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Smoke posted:

Reminds me of the crapplane build ages ago where one goon's Vampire kit ended up being a Zero, so he bodged it into a comical knockoff Vampire.

You know what you must do.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Most model kits are still packed manually, so this sort of thing happens from time to time. Most companies have contact methods to send you the parts you're missing, but Revell might be a bit tricky (in the US, at least) because of their implosion and resurrection over the past year.

I'm in Europe so that helps a bit. Revell referred me to the seller so I'll be mailing them about it as I'm in Bulgaria and the kit was bought in Belgium. Worst case scenario I'm out 5 euros.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smoke posted:

Fold an origami plane out of the instructions.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Isnt it time for another thread crapbuild?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Long past time really.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man, I always start those and never finish.

Anyways, does revell still have it's pirate ship in production?

Edit

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/ships/sailings-ships/spanish-galleon.html

It's either 5000 euros or 5

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05899-spanish-galleon--102387

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 31, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

This is my second crapkit suggestion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03609-imperial-star-destoyer--1016447

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I vote for this little ugly duckling.