Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

PSA: Do not take financial advice from this poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Duckman2008 posted:

It shouldn’t be normal, but for a lot of Americans it is.

Personally, keep the oldest one, candle two or three of the others.

Also, feel free to look and see if there’s a different rewards card that you could convert one to. I never use my oldest credit card, got advice on the forums on converting it to a card, I have a Costco membership so I am switching it to that. Keeps my credit history and slightly more useful.

I'm leaning to canceling the Amex I don't use (less then a year old), the Best Buy card (ten years old, but I haven't shopped at Best Buy since Obama was president), and the Citi card (two years old, and I already have three other cashback cards).

My oldest one is my beast of a Capital One Quicksilver card, twelve years old and a $16k limit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
FWIW Best Buy recently changed their card to a Visa, so you may have a 10 year old Visa card which is a bit more practical than the store only card. And a 10 year old account is going to help you more than it's hurting you being open

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Medullah posted:

FWIW Best Buy recently changed their card to a Visa, so you may have a 10 year old Visa card which is a bit more practical than the store only card. And a 10 year old account is going to help you more than it's hurting you being open

I'll double check, but I think it's only a store card.

Maybe I could get it upgraded.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, feel free to look and see if there’s a different rewards card that you could convert one to. I never use my oldest credit card, got advice on the forums on converting it to a card, I have a Costco membership so I am switching it to that. Keeps my credit history and slightly more useful.

I was really happy when I discovered I could do this over nothing more than a phone call. I had an old Chase card that took a back seat to my Capital One card until I switched it to the Signature card with big revolving rewards on stuff like gas and groceries. Chase for specific categories, Capital One for everything else. Easy Peasy.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BigDave posted:

I'm not really in a hurry to cancel them. I've been going over my finances for the new year and noticed that I managed to have 6 credit cards open, which didn't strike me as normal.
Eh, I think I have ten or so kicking around, at any point in time one of them usually has a nice 5% category kickback plus the discount store cards. Maybe it's not normal, but if you have them all linked up somewhere you can monitor them it's not really a bad thing. If you want to simplify, though, just make sure you keep the oldest card since that's probably the biggest thing that would hit your credit if cancelled.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What happened to the bad with money thread

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alan Smithee posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671&perpage=40&pagenumber=22

It’s making its way around the forums.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

It's visiting Pet Island right now.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

moana posted:

Eh, I think I have ten or so kicking around, at any point in time one of them usually has a nice 5% category kickback plus the discount store cards. Maybe it's not normal, but if you have them all linked up somewhere you can monitor them it's not really a bad thing. If you want to simplify, though, just make sure you keep the oldest card since that's probably the biggest thing that would hit your credit if cancelled.

I have a ton of credit cards and open them whenever convenient for signup bonuses and useful 0% APRs. Having a lot of cards is really a non issue as long as you don't pay annual fees or forget to pay them, and there are benefits to having a ton of available revolving credit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Boggles my mind people don't use bookmarks. I can't imagine going into every forum I follow and look for threads to see if there are updates.

I do miss interesting NEW threads though. So there's the downside.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You can turn on auto bookmarking of threads you post in

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

TraderStav posted:

Boggles my mind people don't use bookmarks. I can't imagine going into every forum I follow and look for threads to see if there are updates.

I do miss interesting NEW threads though. So there's the downside.

I think the problem was we did all have the old BWM thread bookmarked? I didn't realize there was a new one for the new year. :toot:

Icey
Nov 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I have terrible credit but need a 5k loan. I have a cosigner with excellent credit. What is my best option? Amone wants me to borrow 5k and pay back 10k. I figure with a cosigner I should be able to do better than that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Icey posted:

I have terrible credit but need a 5k loan. I have a cosigner with excellent credit. What is my best option? Amone wants me to borrow 5k and pay back 10k. I figure with a cosigner I should be able to do better than that.

Why do you need a loan?

Icey
Nov 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Why do you need a loan?

Nope.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I, uh.

What?

Icey
Nov 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I have a personal emergency situation which requires me to have $5,000 immediately. I don't need help with this part of the decision-making process.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Icey posted:

I have a personal emergency situation which requires me to have $5,000 immediately. I don't need help with this part of the decision-making process.
You could have said that and it wouldn't have come off as weirdly defensive towards people you're asking help from! However, knowing more about the situation can help people help you. For instance, there may be resources available for the kind of emergency you're having which would mean you don't need a personal loan. We literally cannot know this without context.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

His post history is split between bitcoin threads and a "How much can i drink before I'm an alcoholic" thread.

If you need a long term loan of $5,000 and refuse to say why I suggest a website like lending club. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/co-sign-personal-loan/. To find that page I did some basic internet research which took all of 30 seconds. You might want to practice doing that so in the future you don't create more bitcoin related emergencies for yourself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Icey posted:

your best bet is that your cosigner actually has five grand cash on hand and will loan it to you directamente. fair warning, if your cosigner came in to BFC or even r/personalfinance everyone would tell them not to loving do it, but maybe you can convince them.

your second best bet is that your cosigner takes out an unsecured personal loan and charges you a small (or even large) vig on top of whatever interest they are required to pay. again, advice for that person would be DO NOT DO THIS but you might be able to convince em.

your third best bet is to go to one of droo's sites and take out a loan with your cosigner.

do you have a line of sight to paying off this loan?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nobody is trying to doxx you. The purpose of the loan affects its collateral which affects the loan which affects the advice we'll be giving you.

Icey
Nov 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I work online with a group that distributes products that are paid for by Bitcoin. The Avenue for growth is exponential as I can charge up to 1,000% more than the original cost that I'm getting these products.

The owner of the company I have found out is not a good person and he is doing some very shady things involving illegal activities with underage girls.

I told him that I could no longer be associated with him and he responded in the harshest mannor.

My wife has been taken on a non voluntary Vacation by my former employer and I was sent a warning in the form of something very dear to her through overnight mail. Let's just say she won't be practicing her violin as often in the future.

I'm being asked for a sum to end this vacation that is beyond by means exponentially. I have decided The Only Way Forward is to Precure certain devices which will help to end this vacation. If I go to the police my wife will certainly be killed.

I need an AR 20 which is valued at $2,200, 5 hand grenades at $300 a piece, and a vicious pitbull for seven hundred. The successful outcome of this plan requires all of these things. I already have grappling hooks and razor wire so don't think I've overlooked this necessity.

My wife's life is on the line but I need 5K in order to buy the things I need to secure her release.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Icey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 26, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
*mashes panic button under desk*

oh wait that's dried boogers

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Everyone wants a grappling hook, but very people possess the raw physicality required to actually use one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Icey posted:

I work online with a group that distributes products that are paid for by Bitcoin. The Avenue for growth is exponential as I can charge up to 1,000% more than the original cost that I'm getting these products.

The owner of the company I have found out is not a good person and he is doing some very shady things involving illegal activities with underage girls.

I told him that I could no longer be associated with him and he responded in the harshest mannor.

My wife has been taken on a non voluntary Vacation by my former employer and I was sent a warning in the form of something very dear to her through overnight mail. Let's just say she won't be practicing her violin as often in the future.

I'm being asked for a sum to end this vacation that is beyond by means exponentially. I have decided The Only Way Forward is to Precure certain devices which will help to end this vacation. If I go to the police my wife will certainly be killed.

I need an AR 20 which is valued at $2,200, 5 hand grenades at $300 a piece, and a vicious pitbull for seven hundred. The successful outcome of this plan requires all of these things. I already have grappling hooks and razor wire so don't think I've overlooked this necessity.

My wife's life is on the line but I need 5K in order to buy the things I need to secure her release.

Just man up and say you're buying bitcoin.

If you're telling the truth then you're an idiot by spending your time on SA while in that predicament.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Icey posted:

I don't have anything to add I just need to quote the gently caress out of this post.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cool that your wife can play the violin with a dildo

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Icey posted:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That is well above the character limit for a forum title, unfortunately.

Icey
Nov 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

If you're telling the truth then you're an idiot by spending your time on SA while in that predicament.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hoodwinker posted:

That is well above the character limit for a forum title, unfortunately.

I was thinking the same thing.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Quick question re: taxes.

Got married this year and have started putting together our tax return (MFJ), and it looks like we underwithheld significantly and will owe about $4,500, including penalties for not under-withholding (grossed about $140k so we can't lower our income via IRA contributions).

I currently claim one allowance on my W4, and my wife claims two. I suspect that she needs to change her W4 to one, but I am not sure; I appear to have paid somewhat higher taxes than her despite having a lower salary. Is there a resource for modeling the impact of claiming fewer allowances? Could something else be going on here? Our tax situation is not particularly complex so I am unsure what other actions to take.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Cool that your wife can play the violin with a dildo

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

DeceasedHorse posted:

Quick question re: taxes.

Got married this year and have started putting together our tax return (MFJ), and it looks like we underwithheld significantly and will owe about $4,500, including penalties for not under-withholding (grossed about $140k so we can't lower our income via IRA contributions).

I currently claim one allowance on my W4, and my wife claims two. I suspect that she needs to change her W4 to one, but I am not sure; I appear to have paid somewhat higher taxes than her despite having a lower salary. Is there a resource for modeling the impact of claiming fewer allowances? Could something else be going on here? Our tax situation is not particularly complex so I am unsure what other actions to take.

Yes there is! The IRS has a withholding calculator here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-withholding-calculator

You can also go back through the W4s, without using the calculator but you may want to select married but withhold at the single rate. The IRS still acts like people live in single income households.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TraderStav posted:

Just man up and say you're buying bitcoin.

dude there has been a goon who spent time in a literal actual Syrian torture dungeon and lived, there is a lot i will believe on this dead gay comedy forum

and if that is real, that sorta depends on how much time he has, no? if he's got a lot of prep time and is stumped on how to get the cash together, making a post here doesn't hurt, especially since it exposed us to the fact that an 80s action movie is apparently happening in real life under our noses

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I want to partition my money into different accounts to help me budget better. When my salary is paid into my main account on payday, the idea is that I’ll then transfer chunks of this into several different accounts I’ll open with the same bank so that I can readily see what I have available for different broad categories (the banking app I use will display all of these accounts, and I can immediately transfer between them on my phone).

My main current account that my salary is paid into will be for bills and direct debits, and there will always be a surplus in there to cover these, especially as the full rent comes out of my account and my housemate pays me back half. I was thinking of making accounts for food, pet expenses (keeping enough for pet food, vaccinations, vet bills etc), travel costs, short term savings for known upcoming expenses (for example passport renewal, exam fees, Christmas presents), emergency fund, long term savings, a help-to-buy ISA and then a general spend account. I think this would be helpful instead of having everything pooled and having to micromanage a spreadsheet, and let me plan better.

I can then look at my one banking app and see a more clear idea of where my funds are at. I have one credit card, with currently a zero balance on it, that I have converted to a rewards card. I plan to use this for day to day purchases, and then immediately transfer money from the appropriate account to pay the balance off. That way I’ll have a good idea of where I’m at for the broad categories, and when I’m paid next I can allocate funds to the portions that need topping up before giving myself spending money.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t open like 8 various current and savings accounts with my bank to do this? It seems like a good idea to help me manage stuff, but I might be overlooking something. I have no loans and am in good standing with my bank so I can’t see any problem setting this up. Would it cause any credit score problems? I already have two current accounts, the ISA, savings account and credit card all linked, but it would seem much tidier to me to have more specific accounts. I can also label them in the app to easily see which is which. I’ve gone from being terrible at managing my money to getting serious about budgeting and saving, and am actively enjoying working on saving at the moment, so I don’t think it would be a chore to shuffle my money around like this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Get YNAB and do the same regardless of the number of accounts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I do a similar thing, but actually use different banks because I looked for account bonuses (free $150 with $1000 deposit, etc). I have one account that is for purely static bills and I use direct deposit to deposit the exact amount needed for those bills plus $50, another account from my Credit Union for when I bought my car, my main checking and savings account.

I wouldn't bother doing it if your direct deposit can't automatically do the sorting, because you WILL forget to manually do it if that's your intention, but it was a key step in me fixing my finances about 10 years ago since it let me not even see money that was already earmarked for bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Get YNAB and do the same regardless of the number of accounts.

Taking a look at YNAB, it looks pretty good thanks. I might give that a go and see if it’s what I’m looking for. I guess I’m trying to avoid something where I have to log every receipt or transaction separately. I’d love to just be able to partition money in my account as if it were a hard drive or something. There’s something more visceral to me about seeing a separate chunk of money in my bank that I know is for a thing, instead of everything lumped together even if I have it budgeted on an external app or sheet.

Medullah posted:

I do a similar thing, but actually use different banks because I looked for account bonuses (free $150 with $1000 deposit, etc). I have one account that is for purely static bills and I use direct deposit to deposit the exact amount needed for those bills plus $50, another account from my Credit Union for when I bought my car, my main checking and savings account.

I wouldn't bother doing it if your direct deposit can't automatically do the sorting, because you WILL forget to manually do it if that's your intention, but it was a key step in me fixing my finances about 10 years ago since it let me not even see money that was already earmarked for bills.

Thanks, yeah I guess it’s optimistic to say I’d always be on top of it. I could look at making standing orders to automatically divide the funds for me, and adjust them as needed. I’ll look into new account bonuses for other banks