Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holcomb (dude on the left and one of Periphery's 3 guitar players) tends to wear shirts of "mislabeled" artists, so it might be that. Might also be an attempt to do a meme, 'cause... well, he plays in Periphery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fors Yard posted:

they should have made it without the base

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Holcomb (dude on the left and one of Periphery's 3 guitar players) tends to wear shirts of "mislabeled" artists, so it might be that. Might also be an attempt to do a meme, 'cause... well, he plays in Periphery.

his comedy skills are almost as lame as his music

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

his comedy skills are almost as lame as his music
I've learned to accept their lame-rear end attempts at being funny due to their occasional forays into interesting guitar playing territory and that some of their songs absolutely loving rip.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mark Holcomb is funny and a total sweetie pie angel baby don’t h8

I just thought the photo was hilarious because seeing him + mayer + prs is extremely surreal

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mark Holcomb is funny and a total sweetie pie angel baby don’t h8

I just thought the photo was hilarious because seeing him + mayer + prs is extremely surreal
Yeah. Mark's a good fellow. Very mellow, too! :)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I've learned to accept their lame-rear end attempts at being funny due to their occasional forays into interesting guitar playing territory and that some of their songs absolutely loving rip.

"Marigold" has some killer (and stretchy!) riffs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

"Marigold" has some killer (and stretchy!) riffs.
While P2 had its cool songs/moments in songs, most of P3 absolutely loving rips and I cannot wait 'til April for P4.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't stop loving laughing

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1090696584566841345
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1091003668848148480

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lol
https://twitter.com/Kingsford/status/1091026573040398336

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahahahaha :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

a-mazing

she should just make an album called "small charcoal grill, finger <3" at this point

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

Steven Fryette is the hero we deserve.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEs38McXPQ

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
lol i really dont watch that much guitar nerd youtube so i have never seen this kmac dude before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZeGTCxDoxY

that is good poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maydup Nem slays me

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Kmac is fast surpassing Jared Dines as my favourite youtube guitar dickhead.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

how is this even a competition

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was unaware of kmac till recently, shameful i know.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kmac is shitposting made an artform. Dines is a deece guitar player, but his humor is subpar.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also he's in a band with a guy whose nickname is Fluff but whose beard is decidedly :mediocre:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Very silly but very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myf9lNXr3T0

I don't wanna tell him how to do his job, but he shoulda clicked on a very expensive copy of a MXR phase towards the end

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Supportive dads to the rescue. I love 2019

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I was wondering why commenting was disabled and then stopped wondering after a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YgPps_8L5w

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Haayy!

I ordered some very stupid music poo poo.

You guys definitely know how much I love the Ibanez JEMs. They started making one back in 1993 that was something of a holy grail of production JEM guitars. Over the years it has been changed (ebony swapped out for rosewood, Lo-pro EDGE trem for an original Edge, etc.) but the big issue to me is Ibanez has been off-shoring their production to Indonesia. The only JEM I am aware of that is still manufactured in Japan is this one. And since Ibanez has revealed a new SKU for an Indonesian offering of this model, and since this model is often backordered when I look for it online, I have decided to score one before they become discontinued or impossible to source.

And they cost $2,999.99 new. I'll be paying this guy off in installments this year. It is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, and I am over the loving moon about it.

It brings my JEM collection up to three guitars: my original '88 JEM77FP, my JEM70V Seafoam Green from the first post, and this gorgeous guitar.

I can't wait for Tuesday!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Having never played a JEM, how do they compare to the Prestige? I have an RG655 that I like a lot.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Having never played a JEM, how do they compare to the Prestige? I have an RG655 that I like a lot.
The Prestige line includes a lot of guitars, but Prestige means "Fuji-Gen Japan" and they are generally awesome guitars if you like the Ibanez super-strat design to begin with. They are extremely similar guitars. I have an Exotic Wood USA Custom (Japanese parts shipped to the USA Custom Shop in CA, which was shut down many years ago) that actually has a JEM profile neck on it, so I suspect some Prestige models have JEM necks. The JEM neck is thicker than a Wizard neck, and I think a lot of the Prestige line has Wizard necks.
Everything else is practically identical: The RG body is the same (except the JEM has the monkey grip), the neck joints are either the old block style or the newer "all-access" joint. If the pickups are H/S/H then that is the same, although the original JEMs had PAF Pros and a JEM single-coil, the newer ones have Vai model DiMarzios like the Evolutions or Gravity Storms. Not very different but the Vai pickups are more for instrumental stuff where you are not backing up a singer.

I won't bore you with all the history as Google can take you to that, but the RG series from 1988 is basically the JEM without the claw rout behind the trem, the monkey grip rout, the scalloped frets, the actual DiMarzio PAFs. Essentially they are the same otherwise.

The newer RGs are upgrades from those old 1988 models with more finish options, figured tops and other differences.

The first two Ibanez guitars I owned were the JEM77FP and an RG770DX. The only difference in feel was the thinner Wizard neck and I switched back and forth between them with no difficulty. I prefer the thicker JEM neck.

[E] To hedge my answer let me phrase it this way: Some people will say a small difference is actually huge, and I respect that. Most people, I think, would merely say that the JEM and the RG (especially the Prestige RG) are virtually the same instrument if you are judging by how they play.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 3, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Prestige line includes a lot of guitars, but Prestige means "Fuji-Gen Japan"

It's true (I think) that all current production Fuji-Gen guitars are prestige, but it's worth noting that the label wasn't applied to all MIJ guitars consistently over the past 30 years. I have two MIJ Ibanez -- a 1990ish RT150 and a 2001ish HSH RG and neither have the prestige designation, even though the exact same RG made a year later would bear the prestige label.

Which is just to say that you can get a great deal on a great guitar if you can track down a pre- or non- prestige MIJ Ibanez.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Also he's in a band with a guy whose nickname is Fluff but whose beard is decidedly :mediocre:

Hey Fluff has a better beard than I do :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

It's true (I think) that all current production Fuji-Gen guitars are prestige, but it's worth noting that the label wasn't applied to all MIJ guitars consistently over the past 30 years. I have two MIJ Ibanez -- a 1990ish RT150 and a 2001ish HSH RG and neither have the prestige designation, even though the exact same RG made a year later would bear the prestige label.

Which is just to say that you can get a great deal on a great guitar if you can track down a pre- or non- prestige MIJ Ibanez.
I agree this is a good point to make. The JEMs from that time were all MIJ. The other instruments that bear the "Prestige" label would also be MIJ. I think it is reasonable to expect those two to stand out in quality and compare favorably.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Looks like one of the patron saints of this thread made a hot pink appearance at the superbowl last night :v:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Looks like one of the patron saints of this thread made a hot pink appearance at the superbowl last night :v:

gladys knight?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
the surfboard guitar?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

https://sports.theonion.com/super-bowl-halftime-show-marred-by-functioning-sound-sy-1832309931

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There's really just something so funny to me about literally anyone but Steve Vai playing a JEM :allears:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I like to think that the movie crossroads is real and the devil cursed Steve Vai with a ridiculous looking signature instrument for losing a guitar battle to Ralph Macchio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm more surprised that, in the 12 years I managed to safely ignore Maroon 5 (since... dunno, "Makes me Wonder"?), Mr. Levine went ahead and decided he wanted to rock some sick ink. I mean, it doesn't diminish the fact that their music is boring as heck, but good on him, I guess.