Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

yea ok posted:

i love the tom show so much that dfd should pm me where he gets the b&v youtube shows from :monocle:

i dont have pms on this forum and i dont know who you are on the other forum. pm me there and ill send you the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

ICHIBAHN posted:

So did Dave put out any type of observer today?

Yes it looks like it was more transcriptions of audio then other people typed the show reports and dave interjected a few comments and dropped the star ratings.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The show reports were just the live results posted to the site by third party folks with Dave's stars attached to the end.

The newsletter was less than ideal but obviously understandable given the circumstances.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Writing it down really doesn't do it justice, but basically it was Bryan going on a rant about Bruce Pritchard saying we'd all miss Michael Cole when he was gone. Bryan went off his loving rocker about it and said that even when he personally says something stupid you can guarantee there will be one person at least who agrees with him, but Pritchard's statement is so stupid that NOBODY would ever agree.

You really need to hear Bryan going off while Vinny and Craig giggle to get the full effect.

They posted video of it today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0x73WcAmY

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vinny looks pretty good tbh

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This owns.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Also this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yea he’s dropped a ton of weight it looks like

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea he’s dropped a ton of weight it looks like

i think he said he's dropped over 100 lbs in the past few years

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I do find the trio endlessly entertaining but while I suspected it from Death of WCW, the Retro Nitros' are making it crystal clear how much Alvarez hates Kevin Nash. Like, there are lots of reasons to dislike Nash as a wrestler but I didn't think anyone would say he was a bad promo or lacked charisma. He also doesn't think Raven is good on the mic.

I mean, I don't really care, because the guys are funny as poo poo. These are just my most noticeable disagreements and since I've been binge listening to these, I notice it a lot.

I'm also not a Goldberg fan but that's just me.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Your Parents posted:

i dont have pms on this forum and i dont know who you are on the other forum. pm me there and ill send you the link

What's this other forum?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NikkolasKing posted:

So I do find the trio endlessly entertaining but while I suspected it from Death of WCW, the Retro Nitros' are making it crystal clear how much Alvarez hates Kevin Nash. Like, there are lots of reasons to dislike Nash as a wrestler but I didn't think anyone would say he was a bad promo or lacked charisma. He also doesn't think Raven is good on the mic.

I mean, I don't really care, because the guys are funny as poo poo. These are just my most noticeable disagreements and since I've been binge listening to these, I notice it a lot.

Nash's promos suck.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Nash is cool for getting a lot of longevity out of little skill and very little effort but he fuckin sucks when you're actually watching.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Nash is really loving bad for most of his WCW run. Not the worst performer on the shows but maybe the one who clearly cared the least. Some of the pre-tapes are funny but his live promos are dull as gently caress for the most part, and his biggest pops often came from referencing Scott Hall.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NikkolasKing posted:

They love Raven when he was the lazy rich bastard moping.

How can one not like Goldberg? Bryan saying he wanted him to get less polished because he was an uncaged animal was great. Pure physical charisma is so rare that Brock has been the top of that mountain for approaching 20 years now.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Getting diabetes was the best thing that could've happened to him!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lid posted:

They love Raven when he was the lazy rich bastard moping.

How can one not like Goldberg? Bryan saying he wanted him to get less polished because he was an uncaged animal was great. Pure physical charisma is so rare that Brock has been the top of that mountain for approaching 20 years now.

I am only in May of '98 at present. Looking forward to that then.

And I understand the importance of raw charisma. The It Factor is what makes stars even more than actual talent. I would not compare Lesnar to Goldberg though because Lesnar is actually a decent wrestler when he cares. Goldberg has like, 1 minute in him and then he's out of material. I pop as much as anyone else when he Jackhammers The Giant and he's great for that shot spectacle. But you really need someone like DDP to carry him to anything resembling an enjoyable match. Their match at Halloween Havoc was the only Goldberg match I remember ever enjoying.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I predict that everyone is going to hate the Paisley segment on today’s B&V because I love Bryan’s dad stories, and I actually thought today’s segment was very cute, but even I was like “yeah ok I don’t need to listen to this.”

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you think we'll get paisley segments in the future like we do granny

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Smoking Crow posted:

Do you think we'll get paisley segments in the future like we do granny

I hope he will consider it immoral to put his child to work.

Plus I doubt she'd have the same occasional gem of getting true insight into the nature of pro wrestling granny gets.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Karmine posted:

I predict that everyone is going to hate the Paisley segment on today’s B&V because I love Bryan’s dad stories, and I actually thought today’s segment was very cute, but even I was like “yeah ok I don’t need to listen to this.”
he is the platonic ideal of an annoying parent

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Really enjoyed Garrett bringing up Jackie Robinson and Giant Baba and Dave using it to springboard into talking about BJ Penn for ten minutes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Nash is a loving horrible promo in 2000. I mean, man, he's so bad. He has a lot of charisma, but even at his peak he wasn't a great promo. By May of 2000 when Bischoff is convinced Nash is more over than he ever has been before he's the dirt worst.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

Nash is a loving horrible promo in 2000. I mean, man, he's so bad. He has a lot of charisma, but even at his peak he wasn't a great promo. By May of 2000 when Bischoff is convinced Nash is more over than he ever has been before he's the dirt worst.

When I was a kid Nash was awesome because he made all these insider cracks that I knew about from 3rd party websites so it came off as cool.

Rewatching these years of Nitro, Nash had some good promos but most of them were kind of boring outside of occasionally saying something unique and insider-y but went over the audience's head. He never delivered a single promo that made me want to see one of his matches. Worse, he was doing the kind of promos that The Rock later got criticized for in that he'd just bury his opponent in a way that completely trivialized them but obviously without the charisma of The Rock to make them as entertaining.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The difference between The Rock and Nash's promos in terms of burying someone was that Rock's opponents could and would fire back. Nash rarely talked that poo poo to their face. One of the nice things about being a booker, eh?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Karmine posted:

Little kids are adorable. Why would anyone hold it against the proud papa? There's one streamer I watch named Destiny and his son Nathan is one of the best things he ever has on his stream.

MassRafTer posted:

I guess it could be the fact I just plain like Nash that colored my opinion. I find him fun to listen to more than an engaging storyteller and i guess the latter is what what a promo is supposed to be about.

That was one thing about the Kliq, every one of them had that It Factor that made them seem like superstars. Nash, Michaels and Trips seem to have had the most ambition of the five, though. Hall could have been bigger than any of them except for maybe Shawn but he just didn't seem to care about belts and legacies like those three did, he just wanted a big payday.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Every member of the Kliq has a really great finisher

Just realized that

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, Waltman's was so good they gave it to the women's division as a whole for years.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

When half are gods most perfect move the "Powerbomb" its pretty easy.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
If the point of good promos is to build to matches and people spending money, Kevin Nash is one of the worst promos in the entire business.

If the point of a good promo is to make me and Kevin Nash laugh and no one cares about money, he's awesome. Especially in TNA.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Tato posted:

If the point of good promos is to build to matches and people spending money, Kevin Nash is one of the worst promos in the entire business.

If the point of a good promo is to make me and Kevin Nash laugh and no one cares about money, he's awesome. Especially in TNA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgh3ktsnxU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As a kid I had a wolfpac shirt and my biggest issue was what is that loser Lex Luger doing on my shirt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was on a podcast, listen if you want to learn what the actual 10 best matches of the year were.

https://twitter.com/wrestleomakase/status/1091731166112243712

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1091775963103412224

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I was on a podcast, listen if you want to learn what the actual 10 best matches of the year were.

https://twitter.com/wrestleomakase/status/1091731166112243712
this is cool but the audio issues make it sound like a bad webex call so it’s kinda too job-adjacent to enjoy

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
...does Bryan KNOW he's full of poo poo here or did he somehow accidentally forget a huge angle from 2 months ago on his way to using it as an excuse to crap on the booking? https://youtu.be/sTbT1jZINjw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

davidbix posted:

...does Bryan KNOW he's full of poo poo here or did he somehow accidentally forget a huge angle from 2 months ago on his way to using it as an excuse to crap on the booking? https://youtu.be/sTbT1jZINjw

Someone please tell these morons that Finlay is Northern Irish, it's a different country and they used to murder each other about it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Someone please tell these morons that Finlay is Northern Irish, it's a different country and they used to murder each other about it

in the 70s and 80s finlay got horrible irish slurs yelled at him by english crowds

in the eyes of wrestling fans the world over, northern ireland doesn't exist

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

davidbix posted:

are you talking about him confusing the invasion angle for a battle royal because seems like a pretty minor mistake

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why hasnt northern island backed out of the brexit anyway. my only knowledge of the troubles comes from that jackie chan movie. is religion involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's like 98% religion, yes