Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Platsbanken and the sorts are also filled with rekryteringsfirmor which I despise. The last interview I had with them the interviewer told me I should wear a suit to look more ”interested” in the job or whatever. A dresscode was not included in the ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Yepstr sounds like blatant exploitation of the youth and the uneducated.
And house cleaning firms are in my experience way more professional than this.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Yepstr is poo poo and should be legally banned.

But then, so should all temp agencies cause they are loving parasites with no right to exist.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

von Braun posted:

Platsbanken and the sorts are also filled with rekryteringsfirmor which I despise. The last interview I had with them the interviewer told me I should wear a suit to look more ”interested” in the job or whatever. A dresscode was not included in the ad.

But was it an office job?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr. Sunshine posted:

lol most public WiFi here in Gothenburg won't let me browse SA cause TFR gets it blocked for violence.
Not using a VPN when on public wifi is like not using a condom when you have sex with a stranger in a public bathroom.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Det er jo nok til hele to F-35'ere.

https://politiken.dk/indland/politik/art7007047/Regeringen-vil-%C3%B8ge-forsvarsbudgettet-med-45-milliarder

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

Not using a VPN when on public wifi is like not using a condom when you have sex with a stranger in a public bathroom.

I see you've read my book.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zokie posted:

But was it an office job?

You don't wear suits to the office in Sweden in most professions.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dirk Pitt posted:

Yah. It seems insane to me that there needs to be laws around this to begin with. Babysitting should be a casual thing without tax and permanent records. It is odd that people would want to invite a stranger into their home to watch their kids because other strangers had good experiences with this stranger. Just find a neighborhood kid and buy them dinner and give them some walking around money. For some reason I thought Yepstr people could also assign home cleaning assignments in an effort to get around the already subsidized cleaning services.

American style babysitting isn't really a thing round these parts. Usually people just dump their kids on a relative, like grandparents or aunts etc with no particular expectation of monetary compensation. Most people would probably find it strange to have a kid watching their kids.

Of course it may be different among the borgs, in their infinite decadence :thunk:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, but it's not that uncommon to interview for a job in an office wearing one. And I'm just thinking maybe, if someone suggests something to help you get a job they are doing it to help. Not to gently caress you over.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If a job required me to wear a suit to an interview it's probably a job I don't want

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zokie posted:

Yeah, but it's not that uncommon to interview for a job in an office wearing one.

Eh...?

Like I don't know if you're posting from a time-machine but even major CEOs wear blazers with whatever today. Like there are very specific office professions were suits are still expected in Sweden but otherwise no, you'll look out of place.

EDIT: Like seriously we're talking lawyers, finance, consultants and maybe organisation-targetting sellers.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 2, 2019

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

American style babysitting isn't really a thing round these parts. Usually people just dump their kids on a relative, like grandparents or aunts etc with no particular expectation of monetary compensation. Most people would probably find it strange to have a kid watching their kids.

Of course it may be different among the borgs, in their infinite decadence :thunk:

I got paid to babysit my neighbours' kids when I was a teen. (Borgarstånd btw.)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Maybe not most, but it still exists and depends heavily on the profession and type of business. Like, if it's sales representatives they are almost always "required" to wear suits in my business (life science) and I have yet to see one without a suit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Maybe not most, but it still exists and depends heavily on the profession and type of business. Like, if it's sales representatives they are almost always "required" to wear suits in my business (life science) and I have yet to see one without a suit.

Did you miss the part where I specifically delineated sellers targeting organizations as an exception.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
My boss/chief medical doctor wears a suit every day (no scrubs at our clinic). It works with his personality and profession. Kind of a very not typical situation though. Suits are definitely not the usual professional attire i Sweden.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I'm an IT consultant, but don't wear a suit myself. But it's still quite common at clients I interact with, especially once you get into middle management positions or more senior positions (or persons).

I'm not trying to say that you must wear one when interviewing, but if it's for a white collar job it won't hurt. My main point is just that the jobs counsellor was probably just trying to help.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Did you miss the part where I specifically delineated sellers targeting organizations as an exception.

Yes because you edited that in while I was typing the reply.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zokie posted:

Yeah, but it's not that uncommon to interview for a job in an office wearing one.
yes it is ya loving weirdo

zokie posted:

I'm not trying to say that you must wear one when interviewing, but if it's for a white collar job it won't hurt. My main point is just that the jobs counsellor was probably just trying to help.
yes it will, if you look totally out of place. The councilor should keep his loving mouth shut unless he knows for a fact whether a suit is required in the profession, especially since it can be a significant financial strain for an applicant.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2019

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

yes it is ya loving weirdo

yes it will, if you look totally out of place. The councilor should keep his loving mouth shut unless he knows for a fact whether a suit is required in the profession, especially since it can be a significant financial strain for an applicant.

Uh calm down

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Or you could just be nice and communicative and tell them you don't have one, and either that will be just fine or that you should try to work something out.

You'll never look out of place wearing a suit in a white collar environment, and suggesting a job applicant wear one isn't out of place either. Piling scorn someone trying to help you is out of place and so is calling someone a loving weirdo for pointing that out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zokie posted:

You'll never look out of place wearing a suit in a white collar environment, and suggesting a job applicant wear one isn't out of place either. Piling scorn someone trying to help you is out of place and so is calling someone a loving weirdo for pointing that out.

You definitely would where I work

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

You definitely would where I work
This. I’ve worked in IT consulting and academia and unless you’re a try hard salesdrone you would never ever show up to work in a suit. Not one of the applicants to any of the positions I’ve recruited for has ever showed up in a suit.

Maybe the constant erosion of the social safety net is getting on my nerves tho, so apologies for the snark.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wore a suit once in my life and that was for a funeral where I was forced to wear one.

It's been hanging in a closet for 13 years waiting for the next funeral that has a dress code.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've worn a suit a total of three times I think. Two weddings and a funeral (not on the same day, of course). I do sometimes wear a blazer with a polo shirt and jeans for events that are sort of formal, usually work-related things involving management types, who seem to be allergic to band shirts.

I've never worn a tie, and I never will.

I work in IT, and no one wears anything fancier than slacks and a dress shirt, or jeans and a polo shirt. For me it's cargo shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, jeans and a t-shirt in the winter. No need to dress up when you're just wranglin' computers all day.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 2, 2019

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

zokie posted:

Or you could just be nice and communicative and tell them you don't have one, and either that will be just fine or that you should try to work something out.

It was a back office job were I would be doing Excel and send invoices.

Dresscodes are dumb. Now you can be minister of culture and be white WITH DREADS!!!

von Braun fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 3, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I also work in IT, and while you do have some people who go in for the slacks, dress shirt and tie (or even full suit) thing, the general rule is that the more effort you put into how you dress the less actual work you do.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Suits are for posers, white tie is proper interview dress code.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Imagine working in the US where you have to wear a suit for all kinds of menial crap and you have to call even minor management "sir"

Jesus I worked at a 100 man company and I called the CEO "öh!" and that was way more formal than what I wanted to call him.

I never called anyone "sir"

How do people "sir" their way through life without their spine defecting?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zokie posted:

You'll never look out of place wearing a suit in a white collar environment

Overdressing your bosses boss is going to make you stand out, and not in a good way.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Overdressing your bosses boss is going to make you stand out, and not in a good way.

Yeah, and being the only non CXO with a suit makes you the weirdo. And that's ok, if you are that guy, but my colleagues would think I found God or a divorce or something...

E: spelling matters; not my schools, my work mates.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 3, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 41 hours!)

Potrzebie posted:

Yeah, and bring the only non CXO with a suit makes you the weirdo. And that's ok, if you are that guy, but my colleges would think I found God or a divorce or something...

Last time I wore a tie to work, three managers stopped to ask me if everything was okay.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Katt posted:

I never called anyone "sir"

How do people "sir" their way through life without their spine defecting?

Don't kinkshame

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Potrzebie posted:

Suits are for posers, white tie is proper interview dress code.
The modern professional would be better served with a full suit of parade armor, as it clearly communicates your understanding of the importance of style and formality, as well as personal protection in these uncertain times.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I wear suits at weddings, funerals and child baptizing. Nothing else.

poo poo, I work with IT and economy admin and I had a demand during salary negotiations for the job that I would never, in any way, be required to wear a tie. I have not worn a tie since I was 6 for a photo with my brothers and I won't wear one again. Ties look rediculous, only out-stupided by bowties, and nobody should ever wear one.

But yeah, the brainwashed heriarchalism of the US(and many other parts of the west but nowhere in the same width) workforce is depressing as gently caress.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
To wear a suit & tie is nice and I'd do so at work if it wouldn't make me look like a lunatic. Lmao at all of you babies.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll wear a suit, but ties are for funerals and weddings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boatswain posted:

To wear a suit & tie is nice and I'd do so at work if it wouldn't make me look like a lunatic.

I mean this really says it all. This was a weird derail even for this thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boatswain posted:

To wear a suit & tie is nice and I'd do so at work if it wouldn't make me look like a lunatic. Lmao at all of you babies.
How nice of you to provide the rope when the revolution comes.
I have some unstructured blazers/slacks I wear at work when I have to talk to people who think too highly of themselves.

I didn’t wear a tie at my own wedding if you think I’m wearing one for work you’ve got another think coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Biomute posted:

I also work in IT, and while you do have some people who go in for the slacks, dress shirt and tie (or even full suit) thing, the general rule is that the more effort you put into how you dress the less actual work you do.

Checks out, I wear a suit all the time and I do very little actual work.

Also I totally wear suits to interviews. All the time.