Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

END ME SCOOB posted:

So yeah, seems like yet another crypto CEO taking the cash and running.

CITED BABY!!!1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This is good for bitcoin because:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The number of wildly successful scams just shows how excited the public is about cryptocurrency!!!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
Can I interest any of you good fellows in Y2K insurance?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bitcoin is great because it's like all of the Eve Online drama except this time it's real money these idiots are losing, and thus even more entertaining.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would be quite happy to lose my Coinbase login so i could officially give up on those doodoo coins going back up in value one day

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would be quite happy to lose my Coinbase login so i could officially give up on those doodoo coins going back up in value one day

oh man you're still hodling?

All my sold coins are being taxed as income because I got out while the getting was still good, but if I'd waited I would have lost more than the taxes cost me so, :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

moana posted:

Does a direct request from a mod contravene a self-post car-post? Who knows, but here are some pictures of my new miata:

https://imgur.com/a/p5swV6J (previous owner's pictures)

Noice, it's that bridge in LA that every LA driver interviewed on Petrolicious drives over.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if it was this thread or the ‘companies circling the drain’ thread, but someone recommended Bad Blood about the Theranos scam and it’s so good.

I’m a little amazed only two people are definitely going to jail over this. Hopefully a bunch of others (including the famous law firm that Theranos used to bully witnesses) are sued until it hurts.

But it’s all BWM hubris straight to my veins.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Been meaning to write one about my former neighbour. I rent a condo and they rented another condo a couple of houses down

She’s a nice lady and a nice married couple. Their kid likely has some ADHD or something, but he makes a good playmate for my step daughter. I like them both, but holy gently caress they are the absolute worst with money.

Her husband makes pretty good income at like $80-90 grand per year. It’s a heavy lifting/trucking job and he’s on the road like 6 days a week. She’s on disability. Personally, I think she’s milking the system because I’ve seen her move around and stuff, but I’m not medical expert.

I first got a hint at how bad they had it when we were walking around a park with their kids and she casually dropped that in her old condo, she had a 40 year mortgage on the place. On a condo. I never got what the interest rate on that thing was, but it must have been ridiculous.

In this Condo, they also refused to pay condo fees because they kept raising their rates (which the legislation pretty much lets them do) and she refused to pay. Lawsuit ensured, she had to pay ten thousand dollars plus pay the boards legal fees. So they got kicked out. They also sold the condo at a loss, since the market in Alberta crashed.

They have two dogs. One of them croaked six months ago, so they spent $600 on a beagle puppy. This dog is not well trained and pisses everywhere and chews everything, damaging a ton of property.

They recently leased a new van, though I can't remember the exact type. They lease new cars often.

She also admits that she spends way too much on Christmas. She bought her kid dozens of gifts for Christmas. Their basement was just stocked full of toys. She also bought an electric fireplace thing from costco “since it was such a good deal” I think they paid like $400 for it.

They got kicked out of the Condo since since was some noise complaints. I think the complaints were bullshit as them and their immediate neighbour( who was on the condo board) really didn’t get along. In January, they began renting a home that costs $100 more than the old place, but that's fine because it has a two car garage and an unfinished basement! Unfortunately, the owner didn't clean it out properly so they had to spend two weeks cleaning it and are now attempting to get the landlord to pay for outlets in the basement.

It's abundantly clear that they cannot afford this stuff/lifestyle. About a month ago my girlfriend asked if she wanted to go to mcdonalds together. s figured that they could hang out while the kids played. Neighbour advised her that they had no money and wouldn’t get paid until the end of the week.

They have no savings, the husband is in his mid forties and works a physically demanding job. He’s already starting to complain about his back. Given what his job is and the fact that he often sleeps in his truck while on his shifts I can see why. I don’t know how much longer they can keep it up before they're completely hosed. I smell a bankruptcy in the near future.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 4, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Monaghan posted:

She’s on disability. Personally, I think she’s milking the system because I’ve seen her move around and stuff, but I’m not medical expert.

Please don’t. There are lots of kinds of disabilities, and most don’t totally immobilize you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does her disability get their household income over $100k?

That determines if the story is Tragedy or Comedy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

oh man you're still hodling?

All my sold coins are being taxed as income because I got out while the getting was still good, but if I'd waited I would have lost more than the taxes cost me so, :shrug:

I bought such a tiny amount that I'd rather let it ride to zero with a 0.0001% chance of breaking even one day. Plus so many people warned me that Coinbase will literally never let you withdraw money that I don't want to give them a chance of being right!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Monaghan posted:

They have no savings, the husband is in his mid forties and works a physically demanding job. He’s already starting to complain about his back. Given what his job is and the fact that he often sleeps in his truck while on his shifts I can see why. I don’t know how much longer they can keep it up before their completely hosed. I smell a bankruptcy in the near future.

This is Oilfield.txt in Alberta. My favorite article from the oil crash was a guy in his 40s making $140,000 a year losing his job and being hosed on mortgage, 2 vehicle loans, and a couple personal loans for snowmobiles and trailers and poo poo. Dude was *super pissed* and it's like ok, where's your savings account? You were making a boatload, for years. Years!

edit: Found it! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/downturn-pushes-debt-burdened-to-seek-help-with-financial-woes-1.3042860

Antioch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 4, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Please don’t. There are lots of kinds of disabilities, and most don’t totally immobilize you.

You're right, which is why I added the disclaimer. She could be hosed for all I know.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does her disability get their household income over $100k?

That determines if the story is Tragedy or Comedy

Yeah, definitely. If I were to guess it's around $100-105 K.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m a little amazed only two people are definitely going to jail over this.

For the unrich the consequences of an unwise business plan can be slightly more severe.

https://twitter.com/EastBayTimes/status/1092408495087996928

quote:

Guerrero State police said in a statement on Saturday that the survivors reported armed men showing up at a “cannabis greenhouse” and targeting Galton. The attorney’s office, which confirmed that Galton had been killed, said in a statement on Sunday that it had found a marijuana laboratory on the premises, including white lights and gas tanks. No suspects had been announced, and a motive for the murder remained unknown.

Well done white-dreads, you're a self-made man at last.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t know if it was this thread or the ‘companies circling the drain’ thread, but someone recommended Bad Blood about the Theranos scam and it’s so good.

I’m a little amazed only two people are definitely going to jail over this. Hopefully a bunch of others (including the famous law firm that Theranos used to bully witnesses) are sued until it hurts.

But it’s all BWM hubris straight to my veins.

It might have been me, I recommend that book to everyone. I love business gently caress-up books and Bad Blood is top tier. If you like that, many of the Michael Lewis books are good, as are Enemy at the Gates (RJR/Nabisco), The Smartest Guys in the Room (Enron) and When Genius Failed (Long-Term Capital Management).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love When Genius Failed so much.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Subjunctive posted:

I love When Genius Failed so much.

It's probably the best of the whole bunch and I had the misfortune of reading it first.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BonerGhost posted:

I was thinking of USAF, where you need like 3 years in service before you can promote even if you enlist at e-3.

It's 28 months if you enlist at E-3. Also, you can get BTZ, and get it at 22 months. So if you enlisted at 18, it's doable. I enlisted at 19, and I was a SrA at 21. If I would have gotten BTZ, I would have totally got it at 20. Too bad I was competing against a female :emo:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I took a BWM picture for TFR. I bought this car because of the AI / BFC thread recommendations.

Fix bayonets?

Knife, fork, broom, brachiasurus, shotgun, V8

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Now that's what I call a street sweeper!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It might have been me, I recommend that book to everyone. I love business gently caress-up books and Bad Blood is top tier. If you like that, many of the Michael Lewis books are good, as are Enemy at the Gates (RJR/Nabisco), The Smartest Guys in the Room (Enron) and When Genius Failed (Long-Term Capital Management).

I’ve listened to Smartest Guys in the Room and yes, it was great. Another good one is There Must be a Pony in Here Somewhere about the AOL/Time Warner merger. I’ve still got The Big Short to get through.

Just added When Genius Failed to my wish list.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CannonFodder posted:

I took a BWM picture for TFR. I bought this car because of the AI / BFC thread recommendations.

Fix bayonets?

Knife, fork, broom, brachiasurus, shotgun, V8

B-Movie James Bond

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Subjunctive posted:

Amen. You beat me to posting that.

(I’m the TFR guy with bad legs)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I eagerly await when this train pull into GiP because I imagine they have some stories

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Doc Hawkins posted:

For the unrich the consequences of an unwise business plan can be slightly more severe.

https://twitter.com/EastBayTimes/status/1092408495087996928

Well done white-dreads, you're a self-made man at last.

Hmm, they don't gently caress around in Mexico, who knew? :ssh:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
One of the SNL writes must read this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sld27PfAF3M&t=200s

"have your horses attend public school"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

I eagerly await when this train pull into GiP because I imagine they have some stories

I use this thread as my go-to reading material if I know I'm going to be a while somewhere. It's an unending list of fuckups. We all joke about the ford raptors and mustangs and such, but I have to imagine that there's an endless fractal of BWM variants we'd hear about.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

This should get the juices flowing in the meantime :getin:

The Betrayer posted:

Had a signal guy at Fort Belvoir who was a real winner.

A: Got married in AIT to a woman who ran up a five digit Discover card bill and then divorced him. He was falsely collecting BAH in order to pay his alimony.

B: Got re-married to a woman he found on AdultFriendFinder with three prior divorces. She promised to help him rework his finances. In all actuality, she reworked his finances so that she could take a massive cut of them and spend the money on crack/meth/crack and meth. She later ran off to Virginia Beach and only contacted him when it was time for her monthly share of the BAH.

C: Traded in a perfectly serviceable pickup truck for the shittiest Mitsubishi Eclipse in the world. For an idea of how lovely this car was and what "preventative maintenance" meant to him, consider this: His alternator caught fire.

D: Later on, as the repair bills for the Eclipse mounted and the alimony to the first wife built up and the second wife siphoned off her share of his finances, he took to pay day loan services. However, he wasn't dumb, he knew the way to get around those pesky loan sharks. He would open bank accounts, transfer his direct deposit over, get a pay day loan, then close the bank account associated with the loan. He managed to pull this off at least three times.

E: When the command finally tired of his poo poo, they started paperwork to boot him out. All offers of help for a resume or even getting all of his signal certifications together were turned down. As far as I know, he returned to Arkansas and is probably working fast food and hiding from loan sharks.

God speed, you paragon of Army junior enlisted. God speed.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ty for this, gonna add these to my list.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

B: Got re-married to a woman he found on AdultFriendFinder

Wait I thought that site was entirely a scam with no actual humans on the other end?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Wait I thought that site was entirely a scam with no actual humans on the other end?

There were some but it was like 100:1 men/women, hence the bots.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gun safes: GWM, right? But what if you drop it on your friend's foot, who is helping you move? And said friend has a $3k deductible on his health insurance? Ouch. I'm not sure if they tried the home-owner's insurance route or not.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

That was Ashley Madison. You could absolutely find someone on Adult Friend Finder. As a coworker who picked up women on there would say, “the odds are good but the goods are odd.” He was not very discerning.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Cacafuego posted:

Ty for this, gonna add these to my list.

The RJR Nabisco one is Barbarians at the Gate, btw

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Monaghan posted:

I first got a hint at how bad they had it when we were walking around a park with their kids and she casually dropped that in her old condo, she had a 40 year mortgage on the place. On a condo. I never got what the interest rate on that thing was, but it must have been ridiculous.

How long until 40 year mortgages are as common as 30 year mortgages? Tie it up with a less than one percent down payment and you can really tell those struggling apartment dwellers that they no longer have to be throwing their money away on rent while their bougie friends and relatives are getting on the real estate ladder.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work for an auto finance company and we're getting pressure from dealers to accept more 84 month term loans. That's 7 years. There is no way any new vehicle is going to hold it's value well enough for that loan to make sense, but the "non-prime" demand is there so we're accepting more and more of them.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Antioch posted:

Dude was *super pissed* and it's like ok, where's your savings account? You were making a boatload, for years. Years!

How the gently caress is he supposed to confirm it's a boatload without buying a boat to put it in? Checkmate, atheists. :smugbert:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

SpartanIvy posted:

I work for an auto finance company and we're getting pressure from dealers to accept more 84 month term loans. That's 7 years. There is no way any new vehicle is going to hold it's value well enough for that loan to make sense, but the "non-prime" demand is there so we're accepting more and more of them.

Isn't the majority of a vehicle's depreciation towards the beginning of the life of the loan and over time the depreciation rate becomes less noticeable on the car's diminishing value? I don't think it's actually that dumb of a move, but it would depend a lot on the vehicle and the market's affect on the depreciation rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Crazy Mike posted:

How long until 40 year mortgages are as common as 30 year mortgages? Tie it up with a less than one percent down payment and you can really tell those struggling apartment dwellers that they no longer have to be throwing their money away on rent while their bougie friends and relatives are getting on the real estate ladder.

Typically a 40 year loan has a higher interest rate and does not get the payment that much lower than a 30 year. When I worked on ther sales for our mortgage records generally recommended against them because they felt the lower payment wasn't low enough to justify the increase in rate and higher overall cost of borrowing over the life of the loan. Even if the rate is the same, for a 200k loan you are talking about around $100/mo difference.