Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, those are...y'know, from the McMansion Hell blog. And if you go to the blog, whose URL is in one of the images, you can see commentary alongside the images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just found an Imgur album filled with McMansion horrors.

Sadly, each image is covered with such lol captions, but they're still worth a look, I think.

A selection of what awaits:

Huh, the most obtuse post made here in awhile. Other than mine, I mean.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just found an Imgur album filled with McMansion horrors.

Sadly, each image is covered with such lol captions, but they're still worth a look, I think.

A selection of what awaits:

It's like watching a baby take their first steps.

Welcome to McMansion Hell.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

So what gets me about this one, unless someone has a really tiny clown car, or a very small garage only for, say, motorcycles or bicycles, that second garage on the right has to extend not just past the two small windows, but past the large window on the far right as well.

Now that's what I call cursed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm "Sad Wall"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crappy construction in progress!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

So what gets me about this one, unless someone has a really tiny clown car, or a very small garage only for, say, motorcycles or bicycles, that second garage on the right has to extend not just past the two small windows, but past the large window on the far right as well.

Now that's what I call cursed.

Maybe it's a workshop? (It's not but would be cool.)

A lawnmower would fit tho.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe it's a workshop? (It's not but would be cool.)

A lawnmower would fit tho.

Yeah that would be for like lawnmower, snowblower, motorcycle something like that. Still terrible though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe a little alcove to hide your garbage/recycling bins?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Adding windows onto garages so that they look like living space from outside has been a thing for the past few years.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah that would be for like lawnmower, snowblower, motorcycle something like that. Still terrible though.

My money is on golf cart.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Weembles posted:

Adding windows onto garages so that they look like living space from outside has been a thing for the past few years.

That and because natural light isn't a bad thing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

there wolf posted:

My money is on golf cart.

It's this. I live in a golf community and every other house near the golf course has a smaller garage that only fits a golf cart.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Weembles posted:

It’s really this. Particularly on larger homes, the trend is to point the garage doors to one side and add windows to the garage to disguise it.

Problem is, you can then see the inevitable Rubbermaid cabinets and shelves up against the inside of the garage windows.

It’s a full-size garage.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

How is stickers a loving security risk?

Well, in America, there's a paper bag involved in the test that detects the security risk of stickers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If homeland security or whoever was gonna wig out over people putting fake outlets in public places there'd be a lot more youtube pranksters in jail. It's not a remotely new idea.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That and because natural light isn't a bad thing

Yeah dunking on lovely McMansions is fun and all but putting windows on a garage where you might be out doing any number of tasks you can't complete inside is not something worth mocking. "Lol look at this loser with his windows on his work space."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah dunking on lovely McMansions is fun and all but putting windows on a garage where you might be out doing any number of tasks you can't complete inside is not something worth mocking. "Lol look at this loser with his windows on his work space."

I argue that in context it is stupid, because there's an entire wall of the house facing open space with no windows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Javid posted:

there'd be a lot more youtube pranksters in jail
I'm intrigued.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
“Merry nubmas” got me good for some reason. Maybe the tiny ashamed font. I completely lost it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah my boring rear end cube of a house built 60 years ago has a window on the basement garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My 1964 home has two windows on the garage, and they don't even face the front. One is currently hosting a window AC unit for when it gets too drat hot here in TX.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kid sinister posted:

Crappy construction in progress!

"if I fall the boss is gonna kill me"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weird flex to hate on garage/shed windows.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dave posted:

Weird flex to hate on garage/shed windows.

yeah, where else you gonna stick your pipe? :grovertoot:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress that's the drainpipe not a party favor

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Aren’t windows a security risk where I store expensive poo poo outside semi separate from living spaces with people? :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Burt Sexual posted:

Aren’t windows a security risk where I store expensive poo poo outside semi separate from living spaces with people? :shrug:

Anyone who cares that much about someone breaking into their house that they would deny themselves sunlight has a security system and probably a gun or five.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

That is an issue with garage windows, though. One can quickly get into the garage, and then take their time, out of view, breaking into your house via the garage house door. Bonus points for using the homeowner's own tools stored in the garage to do so. Throw all the poo poo you stole in the trunk of the car in there, grab the keys hanging by the door, and zip out of there like nothing happened.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OR

They could break through a window into the living space.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

B-Nasty posted:

That is an issue with garage windows, though. One can quickly get into the garage, and then take their time, out of view, breaking into your house via the garage house door. Bonus points for using the homeowner's own tools stored in the garage to do so. Throw all the poo poo you stole in the trunk of the car in there, grab the keys hanging by the door, and zip out of there like nothing happened.

Lol

And I can only afford to run 4 nests now, it’s a bandwidth issue man.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

OR

My dog eats u

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

My dog eats u

Chances are unless your dog is a pitbull and the burglar is a toddler it'll just go "WOW!! NEW FRIEND!!!" or go and hide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovIrEoYXvZc

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Platystemon posted:

OR

Exactly. I only lock my doors out of habit. If no-one is home, all you have to do is break a back window and come in. As far as I'm concerned, please steal my TV, I could use a new one. Anything else I have only has only personal value, or is too heavy to carry out without a team.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My father in law has a bunch of expensive poo poo in his shop, so he has steel mesh over the windows that are e big enough to easily crawl through. I imagine you could cut through it, but if you are going to get on a ladder and take an angle grinder or metal shears to the window you are a lot more likely to be seen by someone.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
My garage has 3 windows and all my (cheap) tools are visible, I considered putting frosted glass film over them but we do have a security system so we just added a glass break detector in there, which is great, as long as I make sure to turn off the system if I'm actually going to be in there using power tools otherwise they'll set it of.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We rarely shut the garage door or even had the ability to lock it. Lost a couple lovely bikes and some old speakers but that's about it. The garage had windows too. Thieves won't smash your windows if the door wide open *head tap meme*

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If your garage is a car-box, sure, no windows. If it's mostly used as a workshop, being able to open the window/have sunlight at all is pretty vital. Sometimes you want fresh air without having the front door wide open.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Shut up about garage windows in your houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mostlygray posted:

Exactly. I only lock my doors out of habit. If no-one is home, all you have to do is break a back window and come in.

If someone wants to get into your home, they will.

All you can do is make it unwelcoming for them - no high bushes where they can hide, windows closed, doors locked, deadbolts, etc. Convince them to maybe try the house next door.

I also have voile curtains on all my windows so people can't just look in from the street and see everything inside my house. I'll never understand people who have nothing for privacy and I can walk along the street and clearly see them watching TV from the couch.