Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
In California, my Trees of Antiquity order came and I got them in the ground! I got Pink Pearl Apple, Seckel Pear, Frost Peach, Peregrine Peach, Izu Persimmon, Imoto Persimmon, Fuyu Persimmon.
This is the second time I've ordered bare root fruit tress from Trees of Antiquity, and I am always so impressed in the quality.

Still waiting on my order from Raintree Nursery. Peche de Vigne Peach (purple fleshed), 10 Sweet Purple and 10 Jersey Knight Asparagus crowns, 25 Tri Star Strawberries and 25 Seascape Strawberries.

I got 2 deliveries of wood chips that I have been slowly moving to my backyard. This is going to be a good gardening year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
things are almost ready and I'm waiting patiently
black krim

chianti capsicum (should probably fold the fruit outside of the stems)

very early cayenne peppers

jalapenos (4 of these plants)

very, very early soybeans - I'm trying to see if I can get good edamame beans out of these 'lammers black' variety, which are the only ones i could get in NZ.

there's also boring stuff outside the greenhouse but it's much less exciting at this stage.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Jhet posted:

The pepper plants kept their leaves for the whole time until I pulled them off

I’ll occasionally blow on my seedlings and even gently caress them, but have never gone this far!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shame Boner posted:

I’ll occasionally blow on my seedlings and even gently caress them, but have never gone this far!

Supposedly if you do it before harvesting the peppers it will make it even hotter. I have no idea if this is true or not, but the hot sauces I made with them turned out similarly hot to other super hot variety hot sauces I've purchased.

I'm also the sort that just sort of runs my hands through seedlings as I walk past. Old wives tale or not, it feels kinda cool so I'm going to do it anyway.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Now that the buzzards have slaughtered the rabbits, and I've largely finished rebuilding my house, it's time to start reclaiming the eastern end of my garden, which is on a south-facing slope inside an old walled-garden. It's in a bit of a state:

When I took the roof off my house, a year and a bit ago, I dumped all the wood into this bit of the garden, hidden behind the orchards:

Willow herb, buddleia, nettles, thistles, raspberry canes, brambles and more. I'd done some mowing in the last couple of years to try and get some grass paths under control, which has worked, but basically it's not great.

That's a huge mass of bamboo that the stream runs through. There are roots and suckers from the ash trees on the eastern border. The hedge is gross leylandii and there's more at the south-western corner. To the west is an old damson tree that's given two hard little bullets in damson form since we moved in. There's a big pile of asbestos roofing from an old, wildly dangerous chicken shed that collapsed in the snow the year we moved in. Goodness knows whether its rabbits or rats that live under it, but it's something.

Sunday was the start of the fightback, and I got rid of all of one woodpile, about 75% of the big one on the right, but none of the third. Good thing my tetanus shots were up to date as joiners at the start of the 20th century didn't skimp on long, wicked nails. Since I'm a sap, I also spent ages saving hibernating ladybirds that would otherwise have been immolated. But I managed to rip up a lot of the weeds, and began to get it looking less depressingly terrifying:

My plan is to cover some of the space with sheeting, this year, while sticking down some large, raised beds in the other part and trying the no-dig method to cultivate those, a la Dowding. I have a trailer; there are two stables nearby for manure; the old course at St Andrews dumps (admittedly very grassy) compost for the public to take away for free by the West Sands; and Dundee Council sells compost for about eight pounds a ton, just a few miles further north. So I hope that it's probably practical, though I'm entirely new to the method.

Basically it's a pretty daunting task, but I have a dream of vegetables...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
DISASTER! DESPAIR! WOE, ETCETERA! the black krims are rotting!

Why are they doing this?
Things it isn't:
* being too cold
* being underwatered
* being underfed
* pot too small
* overripe-ness (they were green yesterday, and some of the green ones did the same thing a few weeks ago)

things it might be:
* bugs (but I couldn't see any when I cut it open)
* overwatering, maybe, but...nah.
* overfeeding (I give them a small spoon of this every week or so with water, which might be too strong)

things it probably is:
* temperature (highs in the greenhouse over the last week in c: 35, 36, 34, 34, 35, 44)

So I think maybe the fruit just cooked in the heat, but the picture doesn't really look like that to me. Anyone got ideas?

Endie posted:

Basically it's a pretty daunting task, but I have a dream of vegetables...
This is going to be amazing when it's done, but man you're gonna be busy

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mikey Purp posted:

I could use some advice on grow lights. I have a mini green house that is 28" wide with four shelves. I'd like to get 4 grow lights that I could hang from each shelf to start seedlings in my basement and I'm shooting for two trays per shelf. I tried to use LED strip lights last year but the seedlings came out leggy so I don't think that they were powerful enough. Any recommendations?

I just bought one of these but I'm worried that it's not actually going to be large or powerful enough to support two trays.

Sorry for the late reply - my keyboard borked late last week and I couldn't get another one until today.

I might be misunderstanding here - you're planning to use one of these LED plates per shelf, two standard 10"x20" flats per shelf?

Most (all?) of the light fixtures I've tried put out very little useable light to the sides - trying to grow anything on the edges results in leggy seedlings falling over while trying to get to the best light. This LED plate would only cover half of a standard flat. If the LEDs are intense enough you might be able to raise the plate higher and seedlings on the edges will still do well. The seller doesn't list any stats on that unfortunately. From some of the code words I'd say the lights are aimed at the cannabis market so they're probably intense but designed to keep one well-pruned cannabis plant happy. For comparison, one of my lights is an el cheapo full spectrum 48" LED shoplight fixture from Costco. It uses 46 watts and does an adequate job of starting 2 flats of seedlings as long as you keep it just a couple of centimeters above the plants. At 75 watts you can raise the light higher than you would with this type of light but the amount of spill will depend on how the LEDs are embedded and where they're directing their light as a result.

I've been through similar discussions before growing aquatic plants under artificial light. It often comes down to "Maybe? Try it and see? :shrug:" Keep your hanging system flexible so you can reconfigure lights once the plants start telling you what they need.

The best bang for the buck (in my location at least) is still a big box T-8 flourescent shop light fixture, with tubes in a colour that doesn't make you puke. My shop lights use 1 watt more and produce slightly less light than my LED fixture. The difference is so slight it's probably measurement error and the plants don't seem to care. I use light chain and hooks or sash cord and prussic knots to adjust the fixtures. Ugly but it works, at least for starting seedlings and keeping orchids happy in the winter. If I ever start growing cannabis :canada: I will probably need to upgrade to something like the lights you posted.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

awesmoe posted:

DISASTER! DESPAIR! WOE, ETCETERA! the black krims are rotting!

Why are they doing this?

Blossom end rot?

Basically it's a calcium deficiency.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

Blossom end rot?

Basically it's a calcium deficiency.

Thanks! that looks exactly like it, and under the control they've got

quote:

Use of fertilizer low in nitrogen, but high in superphosphate, such as 4-12-4 or 5-20-5, will do much to alleviate the problem of blossom end rot.
which is basically the opposite of what I've been giving it (15:4:26)
much appreciated!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Add egg shells to your soil when you plant next year...

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Ack! A friend planted peas and greens in her garden last weekend! I'm behind! poo poo!

Well, actually it looks like I should be starting chard or collards indoors starting this weekend, and have about three more weeks till I start direct sowing stuff outdoors, but still. poo poo, where did the time go?

Hrm, maybe sprout some onion seeds too?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Soon I get paid and buy some motherfuckin' seeds.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Soon I get paid and buy some motherfuckin' seeds.

Whoo!!! Seed five!!!

I getting some of these. They look wild.

https://www.rareseeds.com/brad-s-atomic-grape-tomato/

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Thanks! that looks exactly like it, and under the control they've got

which is basically the opposite of what I've been giving it (15:4:26)
much appreciated!

Fyi, that specific sentence seems to confuse phosphorus (the middle number in those ratios) with superphosphate, which is a specific fertiliser made up of phosphorus, sulphur and calcium (no nitrogen or potassium). It doesn't explicitly say why you would apply either to treat blossom end rot, but you could maybe infer that the increased phosphorus would encourage root growth. But, overfertilising with nitrogen can contribute to blossom end rot, as the extra leaf growth draws water and calcium into the leaves at the expense of the developing fruit. Check out this blog post (with sources!) for more info: https://www.gardenmyths.com/blossom-end-rot/

quote:

(I give them a small spoon of this every week or so with water, which might be too strong)

My guess is you've been watering and fertilising rather generously, and now the very juicy, swollen fruit are collapsing in the quite high temperatures in your greenhouse. I would scale back the watering gradually, make sure you're mixing the fertiliser according to the label and reduce the frequency of application, and see how they respond.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Discomedusae posted:

Fyi, that specific sentence seems to confuse phosphorus (the middle number in those ratios) with superphosphate, which is a specific fertiliser made up of phosphorus, sulphur and calcium (no nitrogen or potassium). It doesn't explicitly say why you would apply either to treat blossom end rot, but you could maybe infer that the increased phosphorus would encourage root growth. But, overfertilising with nitrogen can contribute to blossom end rot, as the extra leaf growth draws water and calcium into the leaves at the expense of the developing fruit. Check out this blog post (with sources!) for more info: https://www.gardenmyths.com/blossom-end-rot/

My guess is you've been watering and fertilising rather generously, and now the very juicy, swollen fruit are collapsing in the quite high temperatures in your greenhouse. I would scale back the watering gradually, make sure you're mixing the fertiliser according to the label and reduce the frequency of application, and see how they respond.

I talked to my dude at the garden center yesterday, as well, and he said that it was probably a pattern of underwatering then overwatering, which maybe fits.
It's a pretty substantial plant - the one on the end there, plus two weeks of growth, in a pretty big pot (55L? 45? something like that). I'd been giving it 1.8l of water daily (ie one of my watering cans), and occasionally I'd give it a really thorough soaking with the hose. So maybe I'll increase the daily watering (from 1 watering can to 1.5? or 2???) and never give it more than that. Does that sound about right?

With 1.8l It never got wilting-dry, and the base of the pot never sat with water in it, so I figured that was a happy medium. but who knows?? Not me, man! that's for sure. It's annoying cos I did pretty much the same poo poo last year and had no problems. It was cooler, I guess.

at least my chilies are happy.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

awesmoe posted:

I talked to my dude at the garden center yesterday, as well, and he said that it was probably a pattern of underwatering then overwatering, which maybe fits.
It's a pretty substantial plant - the one on the end there, plus two weeks of growth, in a pretty big pot (55L? 45? something like that). I'd been giving it 1.8l of water daily (ie one of my watering cans), and occasionally I'd give it a really thorough soaking with the hose. So maybe I'll increase the daily watering (from 1 watering can to 1.5? or 2???) and never give it more than that. Does that sound about right?

With 1.8l It never got wilting-dry, and the base of the pot never sat with water in it, so I figured that was a happy medium. but who knows?? Not me, man! that's for sure. It's annoying cos I did pretty much the same poo poo last year and had no problems. It was cooler, I guess.

at least my chilies are happy.

The mysteries of gardening! Tbh I don't grow many veggies in pots, so maybe not the best source, but I prefer to soak pots so that water flows out the bottom (no trays) when watering, rather than smaller doses. Then you know the whole rootball has water, and you can usually leave them a couple of days until the next watering, although maybe sooner in summer. Especially in a greenhouse, they probably need less water than you think, as there's no wind.

Chillies have been good here as well. I've had two big bowls of habaneros off one plant so far. You're southern hemisphere I assume?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Discomedusae posted:

The mysteries of gardening! Tbh I don't grow many veggies in pots, so maybe not the best source, but I prefer to soak pots so that water flows out the bottom (no trays) when watering, rather than smaller doses. Then you know the whole rootball has water, and you can usually leave them a couple of days until the next watering, although maybe sooner in summer. Especially in a greenhouse, they probably need less water than you think, as there's no wind.

Chillies have been good here as well. I've had two big bowls of habaneros off one plant so far. You're southern hemisphere I assume?

I found when I soaked them it was hard to predict when they'd next need water, so I'd find them sad and wilted. whatever!
yeah i'm new zealand. None of my chilies are ready to harvest yet, but I got started pretty late. I love how prolific chilies can be, now that I've found different ways to use them

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm gonna be starting to grow some poo poo on my little 1.5m x 2.5m balcony here in Zone 6/7 Europe. Thinking I could fit 3 chili pepper plants on there while still leaving enough room for my tiny little Ikea table/chair combo.

I bought all the stuff I need to get started indoors while the weather is still cold... a little tabletop mini-greenhouse, peat pellets, seeds, and some small pots to move them to once they've sprouted sufficiently. My apartment faces east and I get a good amount of natural light in here thanks to a few floor-to-ceiling windows.

Should I bother getting a little cheapy LED lamp to make sure my seedlings get off to a good start while I wait for the weather to be good enough to keep them outside full-time (or at least outside during the day, inside at night)? If so, are there any recommendations?

I've ordered seeds for jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, and lemon drops. I'm probably only going to try 2-3 of them because of space constraints, probably leaving off the cayenne. Any extras that grow well will be pawned off on friends/coworkers.

Edit: and maybe I'm thinking too far ahead here but in the interest of saving space on the balcony, can I also plant some oregano and/or basil in the same pot as a chili pepper plant? I know they're both recommended as "companion" plants to chilis but I have no idea why... won't the much taller pepper plant block sunlight that those herbs would need?

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 4, 2019

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Drone posted:

Should I bother getting a little cheapy LED lamp to make sure my seedlings get off to a good start while I wait for the weather to be good enough to keep them outside full-time (or at least outside during the day, inside at night)? If so, are there any recommendations

An LED lamp would help, but may not be necessary if you have a south facing window. Worst case scenario, if your seedlings don't work out you can pick up some starts from a gardening center nearby in the spring.

Drone posted:

Edit: and maybe I'm thinking too far ahead here but in the interest of saving space on the balcony, can I also plant some oregano and/or basil in the same pot as a chili pepper plant? I know they're both recommended as "companion" plants to chilis but I have no idea why... won't the much taller pepper plant block sunlight that those herbs would need?

Since you are doing pots, I would suggest not having 2 plants share a pot. Herbs are great in pots though (and I think peppers do pretty well in pots too)! They are companion plants because basil is sort of a natural pest repellent.

Also hot tip for people growing peppers in pots. You can overwinter peppers in cold climates by pruning them down pretty heavily and storing them in the basement and have a huge head start for next spring (assuming they aren't pest ridden).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

extravadanza posted:

An LED lamp would help, but may not be necessary if you have a south facing window.

My apartment is on the north side of the building and I have windows/a balcony facing east, so no-go there. I ordered a little LED lamp today on Amazon though.

When I use the lamp, should I be giving the seedlings natural sunlight during the day and LED at night? Or do they need to have a dark period in order to "rest" or something?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The usual advice is 12 hours on, 12 hours off, centred roughly around the natural daylight cycle for your area so natural and artificial light reinforce each other. My timers are set for 7 a.m. on and 7 p.m. off, sunrise today is 7:40 and sunset is 5:19 p.m.

Unless you're starting light sensitive seeds it's really, really hard to give seedlings too much light in the winter. They do need a dark resting period. I wouldn't worry too much about the timer though - I've had no problems in the past when I didn't have a timer and just turned the lights on manually when I got up and off sometime before I went to bed.

There's other advice of course. :420: nerds endlessly debate light/dark cycles but this works well for my plants sitting on their west facing windowsills.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Onions and similar you don't want to do that though. The amount of light they get tells them when to start bulbing out.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We are starting

Red Scotch Bonnet Trinidad (from Puckerbutt)
Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion (from Puckerbutt)
Orange Butch T (from Puckerbutt)
7 Pot Primo (from Primospeppers)
Naga Viper (seed from Pepperhead)
Dorset Naga (seed from Pepperhead)
7 Pot Barrackpor (seed from Pepperhead)
7 Pot Douglah (seed from Pepperhead)
Carolina Reaper (seed from Puckerbutt)

Going into heated flats this weekend. I've been able to grow delicious habaneros but I can't make the hop to super hots. I had one banner year with jolokia but still struggle. It is hilariously warm in NC right now so I'm going to try to steal a march on the dirt and the seeds. I'll probably try to sneak a few tons of compost while the dirt is warm.

mischief fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 6, 2019

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Last year I grew a lot of Johnny's Hot Paper Lantern. Early and productive Habanero cultivar. Slightly longer and pointier than a regular habanero. Good heat.

Any other picks of really hot peppers that are early and productive?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So when I sowed my jalapeno/serrano/cayenne/lemon drop seeds into these little so-called "Jiffy" pots (those little peat pellets things), I kinda... forgot that someone told me to soak the seeds in water for 12-24 hours before putting them in the peat. I'm not hosed or anything, right? I assume this just means it'll take me a few days longer for them to germinate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never soaked my pepper seeds before. They're easy to start.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Both approaches are valid. Last year I wrapped my seeds in segments of paper towel, put those in plastic bags added enough water to heavily dampen bag interior, closed, set all the bags on heat pad. Then I sowed those seeds directly outside in pots. I feel like it helped but it's like I did a control set of seeds that were sowed straight up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Somehow this jogged my memory though -- I have sarracenia seeds in the fridge that I need to sow.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Drone posted:

So when I sowed my jalapeno/serrano/cayenne/lemon drop seeds into these little so-called "Jiffy" pots (those little peat pellets things), I kinda... forgot that someone told me to soak the seeds in water for 12-24 hours before putting them in the peat. I'm not hosed or anything, right? I assume this just means it'll take me a few days longer for them to germinate.

None of those should struggle to germinate without soaking.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mischief posted:

We are starting

Red Scotch Bonnet Trinidad (from Puckerbutt)
Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion (from Puckerbutt)
Orange Butch T (from Puckerbutt)
7 Pot Primo (from Primospeppers)
Naga Viper (seed from Pepperhead)
Dorset Naga (seed from Pepperhead)
7 Pot Barrackpor (seed from Pepperhead)
7 Pot Douglah (seed from Pepperhead)
Carolina Reaper (seed from Puckerbutt)

Going into heated flats this weekend. I've been able to grow delicious habaneros but I can't make the hop to super hots. I had one banner year with jolokia but still struggle. It is hilariously warm in NC right now so I'm going to try to steal a march on the dirt and the seeds. I'll probably try to sneak a few tons of compost while the dirt is warm.

What do you plan on making with all that heat?!

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Speaking of hot peppers— gentle heat under your germination trays dramatically increases the speed of germination, sometimes by weeks as is the case with the super-hots. Greens, brassicas, etc. always strike pretty quickly; it’s usually solanids (solanoids?) like tomatoes and peppers that take their sweet time.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 8, 2019

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What do you plan on making with all that heat?!

We make a lot of hot sauce around here. We like hot things.

That's the nice thing with growing these peppers, you only need about two plants of each for a ton of peppers. I usually only have a row of super hots each year, everything else is your more predictable southern garden.

They're set up in trays over heat mats with the cheapo thermostats and we usually have a really good germination rate. Getting them all the way to grown up is tricky sometimes because they're really loving lazy plants.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

We make a lot of hot sauce around here. We like hot things.

That's the nice thing with growing these peppers, you only need about two plants of each for a ton of peppers. I usually only have a row of super hots each year, everything else is your more predictable southern garden.

They're set up in trays over heat mats with the cheapo thermostats and we usually have a really good germination rate. Getting them all the way to grown up is tricky sometimes because they're really loving lazy plants.

Super lazy plants. The ones I started from seed last year that made it were a month behind the ones that I bought to replace the ones that got eaten by bugs. They start really well while sitting on my radiator by a window.

I ended up making a bunch of hot sauce last year. Cayenne makes a good base for the super hots, and habanero is great with a lacto ferment. All in, I made about 16 woozy bottles of hot sauce, which will last me the year plus a little extra to give away. I'm tripling my cayenne and putting in a short row of a Chinese pepper. But I'll still only have 2-3 Carolina Reaper and 2-3 Carribean Red (so fruity it's awesome). I was going to do some Ghost or Bhut Jolokia, but some sweet peppers were requested by a very convincing 5 year old, so I'll do those instead. Maybe I'll sneak in some New Mexican varieties for some green sauce.

I have found that since doing my own hot sauces that my heat tolerance has gone up a lot and can no longer be trusted to make spicy things for other people without a taster.

I bought all my other seeds this week, and the most interesting things are a Chinese red noodle bean and Welsh red bunching onions.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I have the red bunching onions too! Gonna start all my onions this weekend.
Only had luck with shallots previously.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have gotten all of my seeds except some for Sichuan chili peppers.

Gonna Asian garden the poo poo outta this place.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Grand Fromage posted:

I have gotten all of my seeds except some for Sichuan chili peppers.

Gonna Asian garden the poo poo outta this place.

Jeez how much space do you have to plant in? How much was that?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Geez. That's a lot of seeds.

Kitazawa is awesome though. It always blows my father in law's mind when I grow legit old school Chinese stuff without his input.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any advice on growing garlic on the Gulf coast? We don't have a real winter here and I'm never sure when I'm supposed to plant it or what I'm supposed to do with it. Also is it worth it to try and grow celery?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Jeez how much space do you have to plant in? How much was that?

I'm doing square foot gardening, I haven't figured out how much space I need but since there are different seasons in here and I'll be replanting I figure it'll either be two or three 4x4 boxes. Probably three. I'm also going to put the herbs in their own pots so they don't conquer everything, and since the squashes are so drat big I'm thinking they should have their own spots and trellises so they don't choke out all the neighbors. Also thinking I should isolate the ghost chili so it doesn't cross with the other peppers, which I think is a thing that can happen but I haven't checked yet. Peppers are all the same species so I would imagine it can.

It was around $200 but since I'm only going to be back in the US for a couple years I shouldn't need to buy seeds again, so no biggie. And I know a couple people who want to take my excess in case this produces way too much. I have no idea how well any of these are going to grow here so it should be an adventure.

The meat and carb heavy diet here is not sitting well with me after living in Asia so long so I'm looking forward to piles of good veggies.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have any advice on growing garlic on the Gulf coast? We don't have a real winter here and I'm never sure when I'm supposed to plant it or what I'm supposed to do with it. Also is it worth it to try and grow celery?

I thought growing celery was a waste of time, but everyone I know who has actually done it swears it's a world of difference in flavor between store and garden. I say try it.