Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

I need to go back and review my nuclear plant's backup supply. I designed it wrong, so the actual reactor and turbine don't have power. While I'm at this, I should probably just strip all the wiring and get the conduits mod and do a full rewire of the base. Maybe even set up a fun little distribution room. As it stands, the only way I'm getting power back if the reactor scrams is by draining my PPCs or firing up the old generator array, which might not even have enough power to manage the load at this point.

What I've done is put my entire nuclear generation loop on a single net - control panels, cores, and turbines - with a dedicated geotherm plant wired in for a constant minimum power. For emergencies, I have one transformer of three also connected to the nuclear power net via a battery bank to ensure there's always charged batteries.

I'll draw a diagram to illustrate when I have the chance.

E: https://imgur.com/a/c5K9CcL should illustrate it

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, nah. Orassians is batshit furry bullshit and I'll not hear another word. It falls into the category of "neat ideas bundled with a rotting corpse." If someone is going to make cat people and actually want me to play it, they should be Twilight Imperium cat people.

And then there's this. For fucks sake, the Mary Sue faction even has that lovely #000000 color of your original character do not steal hacked Diablo II items. It looks loving tacky. Then there's the actual stats of them, which probably were cribbed from the modder's original character do not steal hacked Diablo II items.

The biggest turn-off in a mod to me is the aesthetics of it. If the art asset clashes with the rest of the game by being too detailed or over-saturated, it really makes me dislike the piece. The balance of the mod is easy enough for me to fix on my own (provided sufficient motivation for me to do it), but I'm in no way, shape, or form skilled enough to rebuild someone's art assets.

I can't get too pissy about it, maybe I was a bit too vitriolic. Dude made a mod with functionality and assets and it works. Maybe he made it for himself and wanted to share. But it is just dumb to have super epic weapons of coolness and stuff in rimworld playthroughs that aren't pure vanity where the object is scratching survival from the poo poo you find around you. Ok, Steve the superassassin of space jesus continuum has joined my colony. He can't die. His clothes make him max stats. He has sweet sai and a gun that can shoot people behind him while he sleeps on the other end of the world with 200% accuracy. Great, but Steve, you're still gonna be picking corn. In fact, we're gonna give you a tshirt and pants to wear and sell all that poo poo for things we need instead of say, an anime hero.

The ratkins are well done. Their assets are nicely detailed and they're not superheroes, they're just different. I like the handicap that they can't wear or use certain things. I guess its possible to make something original and not have to have it like The angry Bird OC wiki thing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

What the gently caress am I reading

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress am I reading

Can't remember if the joke is from here or F plus or elsewhere but its my defacto point and laugh when people do some ridiculous OC poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wit posted:

Can't remember if the joke is from here or F plus or elsewhere but its my defacto point and laugh when people do some ridiculous OC poo poo.

I think the joke is that there's an Angry Birds fandom creating original characters. :stare:

Canuck-Errant posted:

What I've done is put my entire nuclear generation loop on a single net - control panels, cores, and turbines - with a dedicated geotherm plant wired in for a constant minimum power. For emergencies, I have one transformer of three also connected to the nuclear power net via a battery bank to ensure there's always charged batteries.

I'll draw a diagram to illustrate when I have the chance.

Nah, I get it. This is more or less my plan, except with chemfuel generators. I have Rimefellar as well, so I have an array of generators connected to a giant fuel tank, with a valve to turn them on and off. The power plant grid will be connected to those, and maybe a battery backup. The two transformers sounds like a good idea too, though, since I could theoretically just pipe electricity off one of the two back into the power plant, and its battery backup. The bigger task is tearing out and rewiring the rest of the base so that my crucial systems always have power, and I can just shut off the power in the dining room/laboratory/factory if things get real bad.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

The bigger task is tearing out and rewiring the rest of the base so that my crucial systems always have power, and I can just shut off the power in the dining room/laboratory/factory if things get real bad.

That's the nice thing about the parallel power conduits mod - you can basically just run the parallel circuit right to the devices you need, plop down a socket, and just cut the existing grid on the adjacent squares to prevent cross-connects. Little easier than tearing the whole grid up. The only problem is how to do the power-saving switching...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is it your skill when you start a project, or when you finish a project, that determines the final quality level?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

The Bramble posted:

Is it your skill when you start a project, or when you finish a project, that determines the final quality level?

according to the wiki it checks when the item is finished being made.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

That's the nice thing about the parallel power conduits mod - you can basically just run the parallel circuit right to the devices you need, plop down a socket, and just cut the existing grid on the adjacent squares to prevent cross-connects. Little easier than tearing the whole grid up. The only problem is how to do the power-saving switching...

Wondering how it fares since there are only so many altitude layers to do things on. Conduits, underground conduits, 3 types of climate pipe then the parallel conduits on top. I think its possible to have multiple things on the same layer. Which is also why a dorf fortress version wouldn't work in any sane world, it already has a big Z axis for this topdown view, your game is probable four or five z deep already.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I haven't binge-played a game like this in so long.

It's like crack.

I think only Football Manager has ever got me like Rimworld has. A lot of games are compulsive when you understand the basics but are still seeing and discovering new things, but I'm nearly 300 hours deep in Rimworld after 2 years and it's just dragging me along as if it were new. Haven't touched another game in three weeks, not interested in anything on the Steam sale.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I think only Football Manager has ever got me like Rimworld has. A lot of games are compulsive when you understand the basics but are still seeing and discovering new things, but I'm nearly 300 hours deep in Rimworld after 2 years and it's just dragging me along as if it were new. Haven't touched another game in three weeks, not interested in anything on the Steam sale.

Yeah at some point - especially when you have 100+ mods the load times are like 20 mins - it just becomes that thing always running on your taskbar. Its like a goldfish bowl of deranged people you can't help but fix. Like being drunk on facebook except the executions happen.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wit posted:

Yeah at some point - especially when you have 100+ mods the load times are like 20 mins - it just becomes that thing always running on your taskbar. Its like a goldfish bowl of deranged people you can't help but fix. Like being drunk on facebook except the executions happen.

Mods? New thread title?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone had any experience with colonists and prisoners refusing to mine ores unless manually tasked on each block? They'll mine stone automatically happily enough, but refuse to do ores.

Edit: Just fixed it myself. Removing restrictions from Mining Priority mod was the solution, which i hadnt initially consodered becuase i was trying to get my best miner to do the job o ly he was supposed to be able to do in the first place!

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 7, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

wit posted:

Its like a goldfish bowl of deranged people you can't help but fix. Like being drunk on facebook except the executions happen.

Warmachine posted:

Mods? New thread title?

Yes please

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone know of a mod that adds a way to train shooting and melee with a bill system? Combat Trainings system is pretty bad and misc. training is just joy based.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I started a solo naked run and an up to 7 people, all with good rifles and some flak armour. Base has power, a comms center, a large farm with chickens and a growing like of gold.

But so far all raids have been single guys with knives. I thought the were supposed to progress with tech levels? Are the other settlements advancing with me and I'm just leaving then behind or is it because I have the difficult on normal (Cassandra 2/5)?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's a combination of things, your lower difficulty setting, as well as using Cassandra as your storyteller since she's more 'chill'. Eventually she's gonna ramp up to crazy waves but it'll be a while. Switch to Randy and you'll probably enjoy more immediate threats.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nah Phoebe is the more chill one.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Storyteller decides the frequency and intensity of random events, right? And difficulty changes the harshness of all events and mechanics?

So randy may give you good and bad events more frequently. However with a harder set randy, the good and bad will be just as common, but the good won't be as good and the bad will be awful?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Storyteller decides the frequency and intensity of random events, right? And difficulty changes the harshness of all events and mechanics?

So randy may give you good and bad events more frequently. However with a harder set randy, the good and bad will be just as common, but the good won't be as good and the bad will be awful?

You get a grace period setting up for a month or so and the first two or three raids seem like dummy runs to let you at least salvage weapons. My current run is phoebe and the colony landed very wealthy. The raids bump up to ~10 people very quickly but only the optional ones. 4 seems the magic number for attacks/outposts in completely nerfed mode.

Bullet Magnet
Sep 26, 2007
it's THAT GUY!

the intensity of the events is determined by your colony wealth and time. Randy likes to ignore your colony wealth, but time still plays a role in the intensity of what he sends. so hardmode randy can send you two scythers 5 minutes into the start of a new colony just as likely as he'll send you a manhunter pack of corgis 10 hours in. The good stuff is also affected by intensity and time, so early randy may drop 15 excellent quality assault rifles 5 minutes in just as likely as he is to drop a solid uranium giant statue of excellent quality 5 hours in.

the point of Randy is that what he does is random and there's little connectivity that you can draw between the events. As an example, Cassandra may give you the pod escape event with a person who's broken multiple limbs or something, has a scar on their torso, and background something like cave urchin. soon after, you'll get a small raid from a group of tribals or raiders. during the time span of all that, a slaver ship will pass by overhead. You can make a story about these events as they all have some thread of something between them.

Randy is like That Guy™ playing a Chaotic Neutral Rogue: "I'm gonna send them 500 units of milk. and 10 minutes later I'm gonna send a rescue mission. OOO!!! and then! I'm gonna send a pack of manhunting squirrels! HA! oh hey, how about I put a drop pod in here. God, I'm SOOO RAANDOM LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is there a reusable transport pod mod so my team of crack space commandos doesn't have to schlep back across the planet or should I just send a bunch of rebuild resources in with them?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

8 Ball posted:

Is there a reusable transport pod mod so my team of crack space commandos doesn't have to schlep back across the planet or should I just send a bunch of rebuild resources in with them?

Theres this one but its glitchy apparently. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1536615776

I have it installed just haven't looked into the tech. On a similar vein, does anyone know if your colony map size affects travel time on the world map? Like if you went for a 2x sized base does that make other squares twice as long to cross?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How do you use the repair kits in Android Tiers? My androids get shot up or w/e and I can never get them repaired/healthy.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Sylink posted:

How do you use the repair kits in Android Tiers? My androids get shot up or w/e and I can never get them repaired/healthy.

You use normal medicine to heal them, although they do regenerate over time (I think speed is governed by the Mechanite Storage part). Repair kits are used for upgrading them

e: Since they don't need to sleep they won't go to a bed for healing if they don't have one assigned to them/there is a free hospital bed

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How the gently caress am I supposed to use transport pods? I sent a pod with my best negotiator and some silver and it said 'there was no colonist so all the resources within were lost'. I was thinking 'aybe the colonist wasn't in there' so I loaded up my pyromaniac in the pod along with some food and launched it, and the same thing happened.

What have I done wrong? I do not want to spent 3 days trekking to the only place that'll buy these loving thrumbo horns.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jokes posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to use transport pods? I sent a pod with my best negotiator and some silver and it said 'there was no colonist so all the resources within were lost'. I was thinking 'aybe the colonist wasn't in there' so I loaded up my pyromaniac in the pod along with some food and launched it, and the same thing happened.

What have I done wrong? I do not want to spent 3 days trekking to the only place that'll buy these loving thrumbo horns.

What's supposed to happen is that you set up the load order, the colonists involved scramble around loading the pod(s) up, then climb in themselves and you get a notice that the pods are ready to launch, and when you launch them you select a point on the map and the game in essence creates a caravan at that spot from everything that was loaded.

If you're getting all of those steps and still having the issue, you could be running into a bug of some kind, are you using mods?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You want to make sure that your launchers are connected to each other and that your items and people are in the same launch group.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I started a new colony with 1 naked survivor a while back, and man this guy is just hardcore as hell.

He's pretty much single-handedly fought off every raid himself, even though now we're up to 6 colonists. I renamed him to Gritty as an homage to local insanity, and since then he's only gotten more hardcore.

For instance, we have a current colony prospect who got tired of waiting and tried to break out of prison. 17 year old girl. I disabled Gritty's gun and sent him in to arrest her. Gritty beat the poo poo out of her and dragged her to bed. Only after then did I check and saw that Gritty had bit her head so hard she was bleeding out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Keeshhound posted:

What's supposed to happen is that you set up the load order, the colonists involved scramble around loading the pod(s) up, then climb in themselves and you get a notice that the pods are ready to launch, and when you launch them you select a point on the map and the game in essence creates a caravan at that spot from everything that was loaded.

If you're getting all of those steps and still having the issue, you could be running into a bug of some kind, are you using mods?

I use many mods. I guess it's not that important to use pods honestly so I'll just forget about it. I'm doing it right I think.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Today I learned that Chemfuel explodes like a bomb if you punch it during a tantrum.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Today I learned that Chemfuel explodes like a bomb if you punch it during a tantrum.

Didn't know either, but glad it happens. Sick of colonists just destroying a stack of important things then everyone acting like its ok, they need more Frank Grimes ends.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Any goons wanna test out the Rimworld multiplayer mod with me? currently I'm just running a vanilla game for the sake of simplicity. Just named my very vanilla colony the Communist Party.

Edit: Probably would be useful if I included my name. Add me on steam, ID: https://steamcommunity.com/id/godspeedsphere

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 10, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

wit posted:

Didn't know either, but glad it happens. Sick of colonists just destroying a stack of important things then everyone acting like its ok, they need more Frank Grimes ends.

Its extremely funny when they go after artillery shells.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Vengarr posted:

Its extremely funny when they go after artillery shells.

a tantruming guest once decided to vent his spleen on an antigrain shell stored in my mortar magazine

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Epsilon Plus posted:

a tantruming guest once decided to vent his spleen on an antigrain shell stored in my mortar magazine

RIP all your crops! And anything else in the area.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Did anyone not think that was some kind of anti crop weapon when they first started playing?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's not? Next you'll try to tell me that Daisy Cutters aren't for clearing out Daisies.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They cut all the daisies. And all the little men hiding amongst them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sunday Morning posted:

RIP all your crops! And anything else in the area.

In an instance of poor planning I had my boomalope herd set to sleep by the mortar magizine full of antigrain warheads. When they went off due to a tantrum the added explosions were basically pointless but still insulting.