Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Heh. the bleed wasn't as bad as I expected. Nothing that can't be fixed with a toothpick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you ever wonder why there aren’t more models of container ships, I might have a theory why.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Would it be cheating to just replace the containers with Rubix cubes?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Molentik posted:

Yes, until you see the bleeding...
What kind of presents do you get? :stonk:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finally got this huge fucker masked and primed. I still haven't even started on the tracks. I decided to forego the fascines (or use them with the Renault FT diorama kit I have), since this kit has been on my bench for almost 3 months now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierzak posted:

What kind of presents do you get? :stonk:

The Huey Hog claims another victim :ohdear:.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Good looking tank.

Took advantage of the good weather today to get the c9 pained.

Spent a fair bit of time getting the panel line removed from the front because it doesn't appear on any of the prototype cars. The priming was done yesterday then left overnight.

Next came a coat of semi gloss black to help the metallic silver go down nicely. I haven't used it before but I think it'll become a permanent feature of the kit for doing undertrays to speed things up.

Base colour on

Freshly clear coated. It'll live in this box till next weekend before I polish it up and apply decals. Should also give time for the detail parts to arrive but they're mostly cabin and brake parts for this kit.

Bonus lizard that I only discovered while moving the body parts into the sun to dry them.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I picked up some Mission Models paints to try them out. I'm having adhesion issues with the primer. I'll mix it properly with thinner, spray it wet, and the primer wipes off even after 24 hours. The base plastic is clean, part of a Tamiya kit. I tested out Tamiya primer and it locks right on. I don't want to give up on the stuff, but I'm not sure what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Added some shading and highlights. I'm pretty happy overall, but there was a ton of bleeding. Unfortunately, the making was very hard, since this thing has a ton of small hatches and openings. Going to have to give it at least one more round of airbrushing, but I'm generally happy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finally got this huge fucker masked and primed. I still haven't even started on the tracks. I decided to forego the fascines (or use them with the Renault FT diorama kit I have), since this kit has been on my bench for almost 3 months now.

I have always wanted to build a model of one of these, but have never gotten around to it (and probably won't for a very long time). I have very much enjoyed seeing your progress on this and look forward to seeing more.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Carth Dookie posted:

May give this a try. Waters cheap and I did like the paint, just not the clean-up. We'll see.

Edit: I ordered an airbrush cleaning pot online. Up till now I've just been using paper towels which has hampered my ability to flush the airbrush efficiently so maybe that will help.

The cleaning pot is essential in my estimation, even cutting a hole in a soda bottle will hold you over till you get the one you ordered.. Over this weekend I got some Liquitex Flow Aid and it has not only yielded awesome results thinning, but seems to make cleanup even easier.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Good looking tank.

Took advantage of the good weather today to get the c9 pained.

Spent a fair bit of time getting the panel line removed from the front because it doesn't appear on any of the prototype cars. The priming was done yesterday then left overnight.

Next came a coat of semi gloss black to help the metallic silver go down nicely. I haven't used it before but I think it'll become a permanent feature of the kit for doing undertrays to speed things up.

Base colour on

Freshly clear coated. It'll live in this box till next weekend before I polish it up and apply decals. Should also give time for the detail parts to arrive but they're mostly cabin and brake parts for this kit.

Bonus lizard that I only discovered while moving the body parts into the sun to dry them.

Is this the Tamiya kit 24091? I've had that on my wish list for a while.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The cleaning pot is essential in my estimation, even cutting a hole in a soda bottle will hold you over till you get the one you ordered.. Over this weekend I got some Liquitex Flow Aid and it has not only yielded awesome results thinning, but seems to make cleanup even easier.

That soda bottle idea seems really clever. I'll give it a try.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Thinking of doing some filters on this container ship once I’m done with the containers, what’s a good dilution medium for Vallejo brush paint?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is this the Tamiya kit 24091? I've had that on my wish list for a while.

It is. I’m glad I found one as cheap as I did cause eBay versions are silly money these days. Being a 30 year old kit it’s a little bit basic but I’ve got the detail up parts on order and I’m thinking of doing a wired up engine as the engine cover doesn’t need to be attached permanently.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Turns out I won't be needing that soda bottle at all since my cleaning pot turned up by courier. I also bought some Vallejo airbrush cleaner so I'm going to try that out. I want to like Vallejo but my cleaning experience so far has put me off. Hoping the proper cleaning pot and airbrush cleaner (and water, obviously) change my mind.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Photoetch set turned up for the c9. I’ve glued photoetch to plastic with super glue before but had less success gluing etch to other etch. Would I be better of with arildite or wil lgel super glue work alright?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Two-part epoxies like Arildite will be the strongest for glues, but you have to contend with slow dry times. Any chance you can solder the pieces? You can pick up dead cheap irons at just about any hardware/craft store, and a soldered joint is as strong as you're going to get.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Two hours and 16 parts later I have a singular brake disk. Still needs the calipers painted before they can go onto the hub.

And to keep everything aligned during construction I came up with this because it is the same size as the center hole of the etch.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It is. I’m glad I found one as cheap as I did cause eBay versions are silly money these days. Being a 30 year old kit it’s a little bit basic but I’ve got the detail up parts on order and I’m thinking of doing a wired up engine as the engine cover doesn’t need to be attached permanently.

Man, I'm jealous. I've had my eyes open for that one for a while. Currently $150 on Amazon. Look forward to watching the progress.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, I'm jealous. I've had my eyes open for that one for a while. Currently $150 on Amazon. Look forward to watching the progress.

The same place had an xjr9 and a 956c as well which I’ll pick up at some point because they’re also kinda cool. I think a lot of the cars I want to build are all things that I had in the Gran Turismo games along the way.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Tamiya 956’s are excellent kits, buy while you can! Hasegawa did a new run of reissued Group C cars that aren’t bad (and quite cheap), but they are not near Tamiya’s quality.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

Tamiya 956’s are excellent kits, buy while you can! Hasegawa did a new run of reissued Group C cars that aren’t bad (and quite cheap), but they are not near Tamiya’s quality.

Having built two hasegawa kits back to back they aren’t bad but don’t quite hit on the same level of detail as the tamiya offerings. I’m aiming to wire the engine up as it’ll be exposed in this car but I’ll need to order the supplies to do that first

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The same place had an xjr9 and a 956c as well which I’ll pick up at some point because they’re also kinda cool. I think a lot of the cars I want to build are all things that I had in the Gran Turismo games along the way.

Local joint I assume? I need to check out my local place again and see if they've got any cool poo poo rotated in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Sealed in gloss. The British bars took WAY too much time, most of which was spent masking, and I still hosed it up. I'm going to hide it with weathering and pretend it was intentional all along.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sealed in gloss. The British bars took WAY too much time, most of which was spent masking, and I still hosed it up. I'm going to hide it with weathering and pretend it was intentional all along.

I can't imagine those stripes wouldn't have been painted using a broom by a one-armed man with PTSD shakes in the late war, so, realism!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Local joint I assume? I need to check out my local place again and see if they've got any cool poo poo rotated in.

Yeah it’s 10 minutes from the school I work at. They’ve been open in various places around Sydney since the 70’s so they have a huge amount of back stock available in addition to buying kits that people want to trade in.
They aren’t great for detail kits and hobby supplies though so I get that stuff from a company online

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went over some of the panels with some thinned metallic bronze (Tamiya x-33) and did the wingtips in titanium Silver (X-32). Dig the wingtips, but I'm not sure about the bronze panels on the fuselage. I clearly need more practice with heavily thinned paints because there's some splatter. I think I'll leave them and blend them in the weathering phase. There's a big olive stripe to go over the top of the fuselage which might help balance the look a bit.

Edit:

Turned out less painful than I thought.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 13, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Report on $20 airbrush. It worked fine enough for about 6 months, but suddenly the screw that holds the needle in place when you pull the trigger back... just doesn't hold it anymore. Not sure what happened there, I think some inner spring or something broke and I can't screw it far enough any more for it to work. I don't know if it's just "wear and tear" or the fact that I started using a sonic cleaner but, well it's borked. I'll try to swap the 3mm needle with a 5mm one, while waiting for Amazon to ship my proper airbrush.

But so, yeah, apparently the only difference between brand name and regular chinese cheap ones is the durability.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Same here, but considering I’ve ruined a few in the process of learning I’m not ready to spend the big bucks yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Furism posted:

Report on $20 airbrush. It worked fine enough for about 6 months, but suddenly the screw that holds the needle in place when you pull the trigger back... just doesn't hold it anymore. Not sure what happened there, I think some inner spring or something broke and I can't screw it far enough any more for it to work. I don't know if it's just "wear and tear" or the fact that I started using a sonic cleaner but, well it's borked. I'll try to swap the 3mm needle with a 5mm one, while waiting for Amazon to ship my proper airbrush.

But so, yeah, apparently the only difference between brand name and regular chinese cheap ones is the durability.

See if you can get a self locking nut from the hardware store that matches the thread.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

See if you can get a self locking nut from the hardware store that matches the thread.

Not sure if that would work, because the problem is that the piece with the thread at its end starts rotating when I start tightening the screw a little bit (even very so slightly) :/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Interesting. Can you post a photo of the disassembled parts? In both airbrushes I owned, there is a lip in the other end of that piece that prevents it from rotating.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Interesting. Can you post a photo of the disassembled parts? In both airbrushes I owned, there is a lip in the other end of that piece that prevents it from rotating.

Sounds like the lip is what broke maybe? I'll try and see if I can disassemble it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The wash did a lot to bring the tank to life. I'm very happy, for the most part, with how it's turning out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The wash did a lot to bring the tank to life. I'm very happy, for the most part, with how it's turning out.

:drat: that looks great, are you going to do some mud weathering?

Meanwhile in container land, Testor enamel flat sky blue is really close to Maersk Blue, still working on a decent Hapag Lloyd orange:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Furism posted:

Well, I wouldn't say thats the only difference. There's a notable difference in how my cheap .3mm chinese HPC clone sprays, and how my .3mm Creos sprays.

Also, you shouldn't use a sonic cleaner on the entire airbrush body. It's probably overkill, and you run the risk of losing parts and stripping out any lubricants.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

:drat: that looks great, are you going to do some mud weathering?

Meanwhile in container land, Testor enamel flat sky blue is really close to Maersk Blue, still working on a decent Hapag Lloyd orange:

Probably just rust and dust. I'm trying to keep the weathering down to a minimum for this one, partially because I feel like I over-weather a lot, and partially because I want thing thing off my bench so I can start something else.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Did some detail painting on the P47 tonight and came away pleased. Either I'm getting better, or my hand is just steadier when I've eaten something because it all came out much nicer. I was even able to touch up some of the flaws in my airbrushing. A review of the decal plan also shows that some of my overzealous shading will be covered or otherwise offset by some larger decals, which is nice. Tomorrow I might even get the chance to get it mostly assembled for the first gloss coat. Exciting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Did some detail painting on the P47 tonight and came away pleased. Either I'm getting better, or my hand is just steadier when I've eaten something because it all came out much nicer. I was even able to touch up some of the flaws in my airbrushing. A review of the decal plan also shows that some of my overzealous shading will be covered or otherwise offset by some larger decals, which is nice. Tomorrow I might even get the chance to get it mostly assembled for the first gloss coat. Exciting times.

Eating always makes a difference to how straight you can keep a line really. I know when I was painting a lot of warhammer stuff it was difficult to get things how I wanted them if I pushed through without eating. I also find super fine brushes to be a pain in the butt and did most of my stuff and still do with a decent size 0.