Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
What? No one wants to drink with Asha Greyjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Woodpile posted:

What? No one wants to drink with Asha Greyjoy?

Book Asha, sure. Show Yara is a heinous bitch and doesn’t seem near as fun as her book counterpart.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doctor Faustine posted:

Lena Headey is a real trooper and honestly I’m high key #TeamCersei at this point since she’s the only one still selling her performance.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Partying with Bobby B is the only correct answer. Dude has a million great stories and he's buying.

Day drinking with Olenna Tyrell is runner-up because she's a savage with the gossip.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

banned from Starbucks posted:

you want a live cat but you need the dead pussy

This got overlooked and I just want you to know I laughed myself into a sobbing fit

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Diana Rigg and Johnathan Pryce (also two Bond alumni) and Charles Dance were just the best casting in anything ever.

Absolute scene stealers.

:eng101: so was charles dance

he didnt have any lines though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Partying with Bobby B is the only correct answer. Dude has a million great stories and he's buying.

Day drinking with Olenna Tyrell is runner-up because she's a savage with the gossip.

ser, your iron bank card has been declined

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Apparently it's a fan theory that Littlefinger deliberately bankrupted the treasury for MAXIMUM CHAOS, but frankly I think Robert was capable of throwing huge feasts and giving out money to whoever asked for it and whatever other dumb things he did all on his own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

von Metternich posted:

Apparently it's a fan theory that Littlefinger deliberately bankrupted the treasury for MAXIMUM CHAOS, but frankly I think Robert was capable of throwing huge feasts and giving out money to whoever asked for it and whatever other dumb things he did all on his own.

That actually makes sense, honestly. I'd argue it was a combination of the two, because Aerys left the treasury pretty drat loaded from what Ned recalls from the last time he was in King's Landing. Yeah I've no doubt Robert ate and drank and partied a lot of it away, but I don't know if that accounts for going from "We're the richest civilization on the planet since Valyria" to "The Iron Bank is coming to cut all our nuts off" in about 15 years. And Littlefinger was in the perfect position to make vast sums of money disappear without a trace for no reason because his only oversight was a weirdo bald dude that Robert didn't listen to and didn't even trust anyway.

That's the thing though, since there's no hard evidence and never will be now anyway, all you have is a sliding scale of Robert Is A Moron <-------|------> Littlefinger Is A Supervillain, and plant your flag somewhere along there to your liking.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

That actually makes sense, honestly. I'd argue it was a combination of the two, because Aerys left the treasury pretty drat loaded from what Ned recalls from the last time he was in King's Landing. Yeah I've no doubt Robert ate and drank and partied a lot of it away, but I don't know if that accounts for going from "We're the richest civilization on the planet since Valyria" to "The Iron Bank is coming to cut all our nuts off" in about 15 years. And Littlefinger was in the perfect position to make vast sums of money disappear without a trace for no reason because his only oversight was a weirdo bald dude that Robert didn't listen to and didn't even trust anyway.

That's the thing though, since there's no hard evidence and never will be now anyway, all you have is a sliding scale of Robert Is A Moron <-------|------> Littlefinger Is A Supervillain, and plant your flag somewhere along there to your liking.

Sounds a completely trivial topic of discussion compared to prose.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sounds a completely trivial topic of discussion compared to prose.

GRRM's prose is so stunningly mediocre that there's nothing to discuss, and so people are reduced to idle theorycrafting.

Unless you'd like to discuss fat pink masts and cunts becoming the world?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Faustine posted:

GRRM's prose is so stunningly mediocre that there's nothing to discuss, and so people are reduced to idle theorycrafting.

Unless you'd like to discuss fat pink masts and cunts becoming the world?

The more drank, the more she shat. But the more she shat, the thirstier she grew...

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Are Fire and Blood and the World of Ice and Fire worth reading/buying? I haven't read much ASoIaF since Dance with Dragons came out and I'm thinking about giving the series a re-read

It's weird posting in this thread again and seeing people still talking about the exact same poo poo from a decade ago

I'm assuming Winds of Winter is still never coming out?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

Are Fire and Blood and the World of Ice and Fire worth reading/buying? I haven't read much ASoIaF since Dance with Dragons came out and I'm thinking about giving the series a re-read

Have you considered reading real history?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

It's weird posting in this thread again and seeing people still talking about the exact same poo poo from a decade ago

I'm assuming Winds of Winter is still never coming out?

World of Ice and Fire is only worth it if you're a map nerd or if you want to see just how stupidly designed the rest of Planetos is, which, spoilers, is really stupid. Some of the nitty gritty city maps are kinda neat though.

Not even GRRM gave a poo poo about Fire and Blood because he hired two nerds to write it for him while he watched football and slapped his name on it, so you can skip that too. Unless you really need to know how many times exactly Jaehaerys the Wise poo poo on his wife's stomach before he was beheaded or whatever.

And yes Winds of Winter is never coming out, but the HBO show is finished in May so we're pretty much wrapped up here anyway.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ASoIaF: Weighing the Prose and Cons

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

:discourse:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

World of Ice and Fire is only worth it if you're a map nerd or if you want to see just how stupidly designed the rest of Planetos is, which, spoilers, is really stupid. Some of the nitty gritty city maps are kinda neat though.

Not even GRRM gave a poo poo about Fire and Blood because he hired two nerds to write it for him while he watched football and slapped his name on it, so you can skip that too. Unless you really need to know how many times exactly Jaehaerys the Wise poo poo on his wife's stomach before he was beheaded or whatever.

And yes Winds of Winter is never coming out, but the HBO show is finished in May so we're pretty much wrapped up here anyway.

Tag urself, I'm the perfectly straight line where the continents stop.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My favorite part of GOT ending in May is it’ll finally crush the hopes of those dumbass fans who have convinced themselves that GRRM has finished the series already and is in an agreement with the publisher to wait until the show is over before releasing the final books.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My favorite part of GOT ending in May is it’ll finally crush the hopes of those dumbass fans who have convinced themselves that GRRM has finished the series already and is in an agreement with the publisher to wait until the show is over before releasing the final books.

How does someone become this delusional?

Like you should be locked in a padded cell if you believe the fat man has even started new chapters, let alone finished two books.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Like you should be locked in a padded cell if you believe the fat man has even started new chapters, let alone finished two books.

There’s less of them but there are still some on Reddit. Far more prevalent are the people who think GRRM is writing TWoW and Dreams at the same time and that’s why it’s taking so long. Even though GRRM has specifically denied it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So many new posts I though it was finally published

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, he's started plenty of chapters. Starting is easy, so is continuing, it's finishing which is hard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Changing my answer to Charles Dance and we only talk about his time filming Last Action Hero

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Changing my answer to Charles Dance and we only talk about his time filming Last Action Hero

Ian McKellen as the Grim Reaper was the best part.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That movie is criminally underrated

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That movie is criminally underrated

This is an insanely true truth.

I demand a 4k release with an Arnie/Charles Dance commentary track.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's forgettable.

nine-gear crow posted:

World of Ice and Fire is only worth it if you're a map nerd or if you want to see just how stupidly designed the rest of Planetos is, which, spoilers, is really stupid.

It's just an average genre fantasy map.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The Fast and Furious series should do a crossover with LAH where a kid gets accidentally Magic Ticketed into their universe and Jack Slater has to save him because he's the only character who knows what's happening.

In the end they have a finale that crosses over several famous car chase movies. Charlize Theron's characters from Fury Road and F&F could team up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Post your favourite one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Post your favourite one.

All maps are fantasies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

It's forgettable.

Yeah, is not such a bad map

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

wait why are we engaging with lamps again?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Because we hate ourselves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What are we gonna do? Talk about GRRM? That dude hasn’t written anything since George W Bush was in office.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

What are we gonna do? Talk about GRRM? That dude hasn’t written anything since George W Bush was in office.

He published 3 under Clinton, one under W, one under Obama, so at this rate the Trump book will be out in 2022, and in 2031 the series will wrap up under Blood Chancellor of The Greater North American Dry Zones Lord Bonecrusher.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
hasn't written penis since Bush was in office

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Post your favourite one.

I'll bite because, why not, I non-ironically love fantasy maps

This is the best fantasy map (from Dianna Wynne Jones' Tough Guide to Fantasyland)

I love this one for the art style and because it's a reference to period political cartoons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He published 3 under Clinton, one under W, one under Obama, so at this rate the Trump book will be out in 2022, and in 2031 the series will wrap up under Blood Chancellor of The Greater North American Dry Zones Lord Bonecrusher.

Yeah, but what if Trump wins in 2020 (because Americas are dumb and love repeating blatant mistakes thinking it’ll actually work this time)? Does that push the book back even further?

E: That Leviathan map is super loving rad. I’ve always been a fan of that one. I love how Germany is just one giant gun pointed at Russia’s head.