Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Gray on gray on gray is 2019's shiplap and barn doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hey, you know what's a great addition to any kitchen?

https://i.imgur.com/rI2MudF.mp4

Apparently they're called "pot fillers" and, according to google, they're incredibly popular with the runaway greasefire crowd.

Sure, you could fill that big pot with a few trips from the sink with a nice safe jug, or you could put running water directly over your stove :thunk:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, putting a LASER in that that for accuracy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Apparently they're called "pot fillers" and, according to google, they're incredibly popular with the runaway greasefire crowd.

Sure, you could fill that big pot with a few trips from the sink with a nice safe jug, or you could put running water directly over your stove :thunk:

Uhh, pot fillers are insanely useful, especially when filling big stock pots for canning. They're popular in other countries I think. I'm gonna put one in my house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The British have need of the pot filler, but we do not. We have plenty of water boys.”

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Pot fillers are not crappy construction you ding dong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen Combat posted:

Water mains that make tap water unsafe are.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah, I'm still gonna stick with not putting a tap directly over a stove :thumbsup:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I'm still gonna stick with not putting a tap directly over a stove :thumbsup:

Are you aware that carrying a pot full of water to the stove also means maybe spilling water onto the stove? Carrying a pitcher of water over to fill your pot on the stove also means maybe spilling water onto your stove? Maybe in both cases a higher risk of doing so because you're carrying something heavy?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think pot fillers are kinda dumb because you have to carry the full pot to the sink to empty it anyway. I don't think they're concerning in terms of grease fires though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The guy in that KIF took more time filling that pot than it would take me to fill one in the sink and lift it on the stove.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
When I redid my kitchen I considered a pot filler for a minute til I saw they were about 3x the cost of the matching faucet. One would be convenient, but not $700 convenient. Are they at least free of the flow restrictions they mandate on kitchen faucets now? Because that was the one thing I hated about upgrading from an ancient faucet to a nice new Kohler: taking twice as long to fill up a pot with water for pasta, canning, or home brewing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The first time you have to clean cooking smoke grease off that tap will wipe out the accumulated time savings from its entire working life.

Also I can't help but think teenagers are going to unintentionally ruin it by using it to take some of their weight while they want for their ramen pot to fill.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JoshGuitar posted:

When I redid my kitchen I considered a pot filler for a minute til I saw they were about 3x the cost of the matching faucet. One would be convenient, but not $700 convenient. Are they at least free of the flow restrictions they mandate on kitchen faucets now? Because that was the one thing I hated about upgrading from an ancient faucet to a nice new Kohler: taking twice as long to fill up a pot with water for pasta, canning, or home brewing.

Just take the aerator off.
I leave mine on the "hand washing" sinks and take them off all the faucets that you actually want full water flow on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

~Coxy posted:

I leave mine on the "hand washing" sinks and take them off all the faucets that you actually want full water flow on.

Yeah, its not hard to "un-low-flow" a tap/faucet/showerhead.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I use it for both though. The aerator does give you nicer pressure/feel for washing your hands, so I guess a high flow aerator would be the better choice.

When I first got it I thought I read somewhere that there was a flow restrictor either somewhere inside the faucet, or on the inlet or something...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have seen these.

My cousin, who is normally sensible & reasonable, had one of these installed.

At least, have some kind of tiny sink/drain arrangement that it can be run into, but: nope.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JoshGuitar posted:

When I redid my kitchen I considered a pot filler for a minute til I saw they were about 3x the cost of the matching faucet. One would be convenient, but not $700 convenient.
:same:

If I had one, I’d use it. But I can’t really justify spending hundreds of bucks to install one just so my lazy rear end doesn’t have to carry a pot 3 feet from the sink to the stove.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if it was like a 80-150 fixture I could easily roll into a remodel we'd totally use the poo poo out of one. Not really motivated to spend much more on one however.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Unless you have Havel's Greatkitchen and need to walk 15 feet to the sink, I can't see how a pot filler would be useful. Also, if spillage is a concern, just fill the pot at the sink before you turn the stove on??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if those could even be legal here. Hopefully not.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is that a frosted glass garage door? :psyduck:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

10 Beers posted:

Is that a frosted glass garage door? :psyduck:

It's a garage with eight windows! The garage window derail begins anew!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Buff Skeleton posted:

Unless you have Havel's Greatkitchen and need to walk 15 feet to the sink, I can't see how a pot filler would be useful. Also, if spillage is a concern, just fill the pot at the sink before you turn the stove on??

4 gallons of water is quite heavy. Also, the pot doesn't fit under the faucet so you have to use the sprayer to fill the pot.

Pot fillers are the norm in commercial kitchens. They do sit above potential sources of grease fires. The trick is to not turn them on over grease. No harder than not throwing a glass of water on hot oil. You can see in the video that it requires two valves to turn it on.

I would love a pot filler. For canning it would make life so much easier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mostlygray posted:

4 gallons of water is quite heavy. Also, the pot doesn't fit under the faucet

The gently caress it doesn't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In the context of a $25k kitchen remodel, a $600 pot filler is not a huge expense. I don't particularly want one myself, but I can see the appeal, especially for someone elderly or with an injury or disability who struggles to carry heavy things... although the whole "then what when it's time to take it off the stove" thing does still happen, so, yeah.

It's just, people freaking out because of the grease fire danger are being silly.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pots didn't fit under my old faucet, so I got a new faucet that I don't hate for about $150.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The only people that don't like pot fillers are the people that have never had a pot filler...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

RandomPauI posted:

White house would work perfectly as an airBNB. Sterile, non-threatening, downright hotel-like. That's it's new use now right?

The bay area has an epidemic of it.

Crappy construction: "I'm going to do so much construction you will have to move," so rich people can make a few more bucks :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it even code to have a faucet without a drain?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

mostlygray posted:

4 gallons of water is quite heavy. Also, the pot doesn't fit under the faucet so you have to use the sprayer to fill the pot.

Pot fillers are the norm in commercial kitchens. They do sit above potential sources of grease fires. The trick is to not turn them on over grease. No harder than not throwing a glass of water on hot oil. You can see in the video that it requires two valves to turn it on.

I would love a pot filler. For canning it would make life so much easier.

OK that's a fair point. Never considered those sorts of applications; my cooking doesn't usually involve needing to fill up 4 gallons of water! I wouldn't wanna heft that around either.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah y'all, realize pot fillers aren't for bipping out 2 cups of water for your ramen, they're for filling bigass soup pots that are legitimately a pain in the as to carry when full.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
and here I was thinking its just the weed delivery guy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

although the whole "then what when it's time to take it off the stove" thing does still happen, so, yeah.

Get a rubber hose, set up a siphon from the pot to the sink.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i think you'll find soup pots are generally lighter by the time you're ready to take them to the sink or fridge. Since, you know, people are eating from them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fender Anarchist posted:

i think you'll find soup pots are generally lighter by the time you're ready to take them to the sink or fridge. Since, you know, people are eating from them.

GROSS

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

In the context of a $25k kitchen remodel, a $600 pot filler is not a huge expense. I don't particularly want one myself, but I can see the appeal, especially for someone elderly or with an injury or disability who struggles to carry heavy things... although the whole "then what when it's time to take it off the stove" thing does still happen, so, yeah.

It's just, people freaking out because of the grease fire danger are being silly.

I don't get the grease fire worry. Is it that people supposedly panic and start to spray water all over the place if a pan full of grease catches fire?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buff Skeleton posted:

OK that's a fair point. Never considered those sorts of applications; my cooking doesn't usually involve needing to fill up 4 gallons of water! I wouldn't wanna heft that around either.

I Binged it and 4 gallons of water weights about 15 kg :lol: just be over 12 and don't have rickets or whatever and you don't need the stupid stove-faucet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't the biggest cost of a pot filler the fact that you have to run plumbing to a spot in your kitchen that previously had none?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Correct, running plumbing behind an existing back splash would be a fortune. Installing a pot filler on a new construction or a complete remodel is when they make sense.

And the issue isn't with people using them as fire suppressants, but people getting distracted and overfilling. Nothing like overfilling a pot, having to clean it up, and trying to figure out how to lower the water level in the pot to a usable state without more water everywhere.