Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hunt11 posted:

I am 90% sure that Ochako got in through rescue points like Deku.

Deku is explicitly the only person to have ever passed solely on Rescue Points. Ochako might have gotten mostly Rescue points, but she still did some combat stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Mirage posted:

Almost certainly a case of "Here's this cool test" and then "Here's this cool varied group of classmates" without thinking too hard about how each one of them passed it.

Ochako could easily have run around making robots weightless, pushed them thirty feet in the air, and then dropped them on each other, though, if you need a No-Prize-style explanation.

That's exactly what she did, it was clearly shown in both the manga and the anime. She ran around tapping the robots, launching them high into the air, and then dropping them to break them.

Reason why she threw up wasn't about her weight limit, it was because she floated herself. She probably floated herself on top of the piece of robot to try and minimize the vertigo but it wasn't enough.

Her weight limit when she first got to the school was around 3 tons before she would start to get nauseous. Floating herself though would start the nausea immediately.

Edit - she got 28 points for breaking smaller one's and 45 points for saving Midoriya. He got 60 points for saving her.

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 19, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Deku is explicitly the only person to have ever passed solely on Rescue Points. Ochako might have gotten mostly Rescue points, but she still did some combat stuff.

I had forgotten that detail and that does make sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Bakugo was considered an enormous prodigy for his entire life due in large part to how incredibly strong his quirk is, to the point where it has adversely affected his development and gave him a brief breakdown when he hit UA and he finally ran into people who could measure up. Like no one in the class has a quirk who compares in raw power and versatility besides Todoroki, Deku, and Momo, and this is at UA which is the hottest poo poo hero school in the country. His power is stronger than a fair number of pro heroes we've had glimpses of.

Literally the only person he could be considered an "underdog" next to is Todoroki, who is so absurdly powerful that he could clown almost the entire class while deliberately ignoring half of his power set.

Um excuse me, Bakugou's power is nothing compared to the power of Koda if he just ran miles through a forest yelling "KILL EVERYTHING" at all the insects and animals. A massive army of hundreds of thousands of organisms just devouring everything.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Criticising Midoriya for not doing more before he met All Might is kind of ignoring the fact that he was bullied mercilessly for close to a decade and literally nobody in his life supported his dreams at all, with the majority outright laughing in his face for them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

kidcoelacanth posted:

mineta's quirk is extremely well suited to the entrance exam if you consider that just stopping them in their tracks is enough

Or that a seemingly unbreakable adhesive would probably cause the giant, often fast robots to rip themselves apart by inertia alone

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

but yeah it's honestly best not to think too hard about entrance exam logic because a lot of it doesn't make sense, and i don't think horikoshi was really thinking about it much at the time

Probably not. But wasn't there a panel somewhere at least about someone complaining about the fact that the admissions test was really unfair to certain types of prospective heroes? Heck, it might've even been Shinsou.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

Probably not. But wasn't there a panel somewhere at least about someone complaining about the fact that the admissions test was really unfair to certain types of prospective heroes? Heck, it might've even been Shinsou.

It was Aizawa complaining about it during Shinso's match with Deku during the Sports Festival.

I wouldn't be shocked if we found out Aizawa also had to get get to the Hero Course through the General Studies just like Shinso. His quirk is also pretty useless against robots.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Agronox posted:

I wonder if they would have counted points for him if he'd mind-controlled people into fighting for him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

I wonder if they would have counted points for him if he'd mind-controlled people into fighting for him.

Hmm, a sketchy move like that is something a villain would do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Attacking or interfering with the other people taking the exam was against the rules. Which his brainwashing would for sure count as.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I thought the entrance exam was different every year? Maybe Aizawa lucked out but others who could have done well against the robots failed the same exam and his comment during Shinso and Deku's match was in the general sense and not specifically about the exam Deku and the others took.

On one hand, in the real world heroes aren't necessary going to encounter problems well suited for their quirks, but on the other, I guess in those cases a pro hero would report the situation for a more appropiate one to take care of it so it's indeed unfair to deny enrollment for that reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Petiso posted:

I thought the entrance exam was different every year? Maybe Aizawa lucked out but others who could have done well against the robots failed the same exam and his comment during Shinso and Deku's match was in the general sense and not specifically about the exam Deku and the others took.

On one hand, in the real world heroes aren't necessary going to encounter problems well suited for their quirks, but on the other, I guess in those cases a pro hero would report the situation for a more appropiate one to take care of it so it's indeed unfair to deny enrollment for that reason.

No the sports festival is different every year, the exam is the same. Which makes sense, the Sports Festival isn't really a school based thing so much as a performative event, in comparison the Entrance Exam probably should be standardized just to work out where everyone starts in regards to heroing skills. The problem with the one they use now, which presumably was merely less fancy when Aizawa went to the school, is that it completely nullifies any quirk that isn't actually useful against robots or some vaguely defined notion of "saving" people which is judged by a panel of theoretically impartial judges.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

No the sports festival is different every year, the exam is the same. Which makes sense, the Sports Festival isn't really a school based thing so much as a performative event, in comparison the Entrance Exam probably should be standardized just to work out where everyone starts in regards to heroing skills. The problem with the one they use now, which presumably was merely less fancy when Aizawa went to the school, is that it completely nullifies any quirk that isn't actually useful against robots or some vaguely defined notion of "saving" people which is judged by a panel of theoretically impartial judges.

They specifically mention swapping to the Robots to alleviate parental concerns about student injuries. So likely when Aizawa got into the school, he was fighitng against human opponents.

The problems with the Robots are like... layers deep. Namely how they promote people with combat-centric quirks, making rescue heroes have a harder time to get into UA. It prevents psychological quirks from working entirely, and importantly, the Robots are lovely opponents. Like that was the first hurdle in the sports festival to point out "Okay the 0 pointer? It was frightening due to inexperience, but it's actually like... a terrible opponent from an experience point of view.

The same goes for the exams before they were changed for fighting against teachers. The students were like "Pfft, Robots? That's easy."

Shinso would have had no issue getting in against human opponents, but against Robots? Not really anything he can do.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you think after decades of running a school for superheroes they would have figured out a waiver system for admitting people with good noncombat quirks to the hero course. I don't think koichi at the start of vigilantes would have done well at that exam either.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah he’d still just be bicycle guy. Gotta wonder how much stronger he’d be without the smacking he got as a baby.

The non-combat quirks could have been dealt with by the referral system but they’re still like 50% combat monsters.

LeisureSuit Canary fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 20, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

perhaps ua is a critique on the military industrial complex

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

firrup posted:

Gotta wonder how much stronger he’d be without the smacking he got as a baby.
I still deeply hate his mother as a character and a person.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He still got into general courses which is still a prestigious position as far as I'm aware, its not like he was told to gently caress off and was only able to stay via staff recommendation.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Yeah, my understanding is that UA is a prestigious school as a whole, even outside the hero course.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how Midnight got past the robots.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Maybe she didn't. Did it ever say she went to UA?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Maybe she didn't. Did it ever say she went to UA?

She's old friends with Eraserhead and Mic, so probably. She could have gotten in through the general studies like Shinso did. I imagine she'd do pretty well against other students in the Sports Festival with her quirk.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Back in Midnight's day it was just a written exam and she happens to have remarkable penmanship.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how Midnight got past the robots.

Amazing whip skills.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Attacking or interfering with the other people taking the exam was against the rules. Which his brainwashing would for sure count as.

But you were allowed to take whatever gear you wanted. He should've just brought someone he'd brainwashed.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Still wonder how that tail guy got through. A character so dull and boring I can't be bother to remember their name, or anything else unique about them aside from "they have a freaky tail."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slightly Absurd posted:

Still wonder how that tail guy got through. A character so dull and boring I can't be bother to remember their name, or anything else unique about them aside from "they have a freaky tail."

His tail is basically pure muscle and he knows martial arts. He just hits things a lot, and that got him enough points to get in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slightly Absurd posted:

He's a martial artist and his tail is near entirely muscle, is nearly as thick as a human torso and can easily support his entire bodyweight. If you got hit by that tail, it would shatter bones easily.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Slightly Absurd posted:

Villain Name: Slightly Absurd
Quirk: Hot Takes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's a martial artist and his tail is near entirely muscle, is nearly as thick as a human torso and can easily support his entire bodyweight. If you got hit by that tail, it would shatter bones easily.

Also during the first villain attack he fought off the group of villains that attacked him by himself.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How the heck did the invisible girl pass the exam?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

No one saw her so she could easily claim other people's kills. You can't dispute her, you have no proof she wasn't there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

thetoughestbean posted:

Hori mentioned in a Q&A that the robots had shutoff switches so they could be disabled stealthily.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Hori mentioned in a Q&A that the robots had shutoff switches so they could be disabled stealthily.
This proves that Invisible Girl is the traitor because her match against Class B showed us that "Stealth Hero" Invisible Girl runs right up to her opponents and starts battering them harmlessly with her fists so this story cannot possibly be true.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This proves that Invisible Girl is the traitor because her match against Class B showed us that "Stealth Hero" Invisible Girl runs right up to her opponents and starts battering them harmlessly with her fists so this story cannot possibly be true.

Uraraka is a better at stealth attacks than her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Uraraka is a better at stealth attacks than her.

Uraraka is also better at using martial arts than Ojiro, the Martial Arts hero.

Uraraka is pretty great.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eventually Uraraka will reveal herself to be better at making explosions than Katsuki.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Funky Valentine posted:

Eventually Uraraka will reveal herself to be better at making explosions than Katsuki.

the enhanced version of uraraka's gravity quirk is learning how to weaken the strong force of atoms in order to trigger nuclear fission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Partial gravity could be interesting if we need a reason to make her even faster than she already somehow is.