Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rexxed posted:

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

I've used the Terro liquid ant baits with success before, but I used them as directed.

I put some of those out last night, along with piles of diatomaceous earth. They keep boiling up out of the floorboards as I walk across them. And also out of the base of the kitchen faucet if I turn it on. I mean, it's not spiders or cockroaches, and they don't bite, but I'm super unsettled and not okay with the situation. I think the traps aligned with the places the ants are coming in from, but it's hard to tell because, again, they're under the floorboards like some barely visible version of that one scene from the end of The Craft. It's all good for about 5 minutes, but then it's like my footsteps and the food smells wake them up and NOOOPE LOOKS LIKE I AM ORDERING TAKEOUT ALL WEEK KTHX.

Also ordered plexi-walled pet food dish risers for the cat food, which I can put on a plate with some Borax and diatomaceous earth spread underneath. Eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Borax doesn't kill anything. It just deters bugs from walking across it. Good if you're like me and have a bunch of flying cockroaches that live outside, but like to come in to find water and snacks at night. Not so great for stopping an active infestation of ants or anything else.

Borax kills ants if they ingest it. It basically shuts down their digestive system. They ingest it because you mix it with water and sugar (or buy Terro baits so that was already done for you). It's particularly effective because it's slow. The worker ants bring it back and the whole colony gets some.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Motronic posted:

Borax kills ants if they ingest it. It basically shuts down their digestive system. They ingest it because you mix it with water and sugar (or buy Terro baits so that was already done for you). It's particularly effective because it's slow. The worker ants bring it back and the whole colony gets some.

They sell boric acid at the hardware store. That dissolves their carapace and they drag it around everywhere which kills the pheromone trail.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
There's also this magical poo poo, which clings to their exoskeletons, eats at the protective coating, and causes them to dehydrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Also works on bed bugs!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The worst bit about Diatomaceous Earth is that it's like a pain to sweep, mop, of vacuum up.

It nearly killed my buddy's Dyson when he went HAM with it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FilthyImp posted:

The worst bit about Diatomaceous Earth is that it's like a pain to sweep, mop, of vacuum up.

It nearly killed my buddy's Dyson when he went HAM with it.

At this rate, I will live with my house looking like Scarface's forest vacation home if it means the ants go the gently caress away.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There's also this magical poo poo, which clings to their exoskeletons, eats at the protective coating, and causes them to dehydrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Also works on bed bugs!

Came here to post this, Saw two ants at my current apt when I moved in. Office gave a warning that cockroaches were spotted in the building so I ordered a bag of Diatomaceous earth, put a little bit around the walls of the apt, and a big bit under any immobile furniture. No more ants, no cockroaches either. It's good stuff.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I put some of those out last night, along with piles of diatomaceous earth. They keep boiling up out of the floorboards as I walk across them. And also out of the base of the kitchen faucet if I turn it on. I mean, it's not spiders or cockroaches, and they don't bite, but I'm super unsettled and not okay with the situation. I think the traps aligned with the places the ants are coming in from, but it's hard to tell because, again, they're under the floorboards like some barely visible version of that one scene from the end of The Craft. It's all good for about 5 minutes, but then it's like my footsteps and the food smells wake them up and NOOOPE LOOKS LIKE I AM ORDERING TAKEOUT ALL WEEK KTHX.

Also ordered plexi-walled pet food dish risers for the cat food, which I can put on a plate with some Borax and diatomaceous earth spread underneath. Eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Under the floorboards... no basement or crawlspace I'm guessing? hit the outside foundations with DE, might work. Otherwise call an exterminator.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Motronic mentioned Terro. (https://www.lowes.com/pd/TERRO-1-Oz-Liquid-Ant-Killer/3047748)

You need very little of the Terro. Figure out where you ant super highways are--you'll see lines of ants going back forth. Place a couple tabs with a drop or two of Terro. Check back in 15-30 minutes and you should see the dabs swarming with ants. A few fresh dabs of Terro every day or so won't hurt. Ants will slow down every day until about a week when you won't see any more. You don't see any more because those initial ants took the Terro back to the nest and killed off all the ants.

You can mix your own Terro with sugar, borax, and water. But for $4--the 1oz of Terro will last you a very long, long time. (I've haven't even gotten past the 10% mark on my 5+ year old bottle and have to deal with sugar ants every year during the warmer months.)

edit: Straight borax spread in the carpet and left of a few hours if you have fleas. DE around the perimeter to deal with all manner of creepy crawlers works well. SuspendSC--1.5oz to 3oz per gallon along the top edges of porches/in front of security cameras to eliminate spiders.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 21, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

terrenblade posted:

Under the floorboards... no basement or crawlspace I'm guessing? hit the outside foundations with DE, might work. Otherwise call an exterminator.

No basement, and the crawl space is just a small access panel under one of the closets. Any word on whether spreading it outside works when it's wet? We're in semi flood conditions right now, which is not helping since that makes pests come inside.

I rent a connected townhouse, so not sure what the owners would want to do re: extermination. The building inspector was here recently and his entire evaluation was, "Yep, that sucks. Baits work. Oh, can I get a photo of that diatom stuff? My girlfriend also has ants." Not terribly inspiring as a response.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

HycoCam posted:

Motronic mentioned Terro. (https://www.lowes.com/pd/TERRO-1-Oz-Liquid-Ant-Killer/3047748)

You need very little of the Terro. Figure out where you ant super highways are--you'll see lines of ants going back forth. Place a couple tabs with a drop or two of Terro. Check back in 15-30 minutes and you should see the dabs swarming with ants. A few fresh dabs of Terro every day or so won't hurt. Ants will slow down every day until about a week when you won't see any more. You don't see any more because those initial ants took the Terro back to the nest and killed off all the ants.

You can mix your own Terro with sugar, borax, and water. But for $4--the 1oz of Terro will last you a very long, long time. (I've haven't even gotten past the 10% mark on my 5+ year old bottle and have to deal with sugar ants every year during the warmer months.)

edit: Straight borax spread in the carpet and left of a few hours if you have fleas. DE around the perimeter to deal with all manner of creepy crawlers works well. SuspendSC--1.5oz to 3oz per gallon along the top edges of porches/in front of security cameras to eliminate spiders.

Terro is the absolute best thing i've found to get rid of ants. I buy the little traps though. Set one out, within an hour there will be a highway of ants headed back and forth. The next day- no ants at all.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HycoCam posted:

SuspendSC--1.5oz to 3oz per gallon along the top edges of porches/in front of security cameras to eliminate spiders.

Why the hell would you want to eliminate spiders? They don't damage anything, they just kill off the actual pests

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PurpleXVI posted:

Why the hell would you want to eliminate spiders? They don't damage anything, they just kill off the actual pests

Not to mention that predators don't go where there isn't prey. If you have spiders, you have other bugs. Once the other bugs are gone, the spiders will leave.

Edit: widows are pretty chill, though. I've had them on me before. Not voluntarily, obviously; point is they're not aggressive, and they and their webs are distinctive so they're easy to avoid.
VVV

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2019

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I have zero issues with spiders not being where I want to be. As for spiders not hurting you--we have both recluse and widows in our area. Nothing like having your kid carry over a salt lick only to find out there is a black widow bigger than her hand to make you not like spiders.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I gis'd diatomaceous earth and half the results were for pest control, the other half were 〜herbal wellness〜 sites. Wtf

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

peanut posted:

I gis'd diatomaceous earth and half the results were for pest control, the other half were 〜herbal wellness〜 sites. Wtf

Well, if you kill all your bugs, I suppose that would improve your mood.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kid sinister posted:

Well, if you kill all your bugs, I suppose that would improve your mood.

My mental health will be greatly improved when the ants go away.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is not wanting spiders in your house controversial itt?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
advocating spider murder is bad.

i mean if it jumps out and scares you i mean hellz yeah grab the neurotoxin but i tend to just leave harmless things alone

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

peanut posted:

Don't eat or inhale DE, it chews your insides up good.

Spiders rule don't hurt them. I've got some good spider stories from working at a city park in Florida.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just wear gloves if you're shoving your hands in the spiders domain, they were there first.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

When I was a pool tech, DE was one of the possible filter media. Not commonly used, but if you poured it into something it would make an oversized cloud of sharp razor bits waiting to cut you from the lungs on downward. That’s the warning I got about it anyways, supposedly it was more popular in FL (Florida Man antics not withstanding).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah y'all can get hosed if you think I'm not murdering the hell out of the black widows that live everywhere here, including from my crawl space vents to the ground at a 45 degree angle outside in our main walking path. I try to leave the daddy long legs and brown widows alone because they eat the bugs and are generally chill.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Burt Sexual posted:

Is not wanting spiders in your house controversial itt?

Pretty sure there's literally no spider in the world that will attack a human that isn't threatening/endangering it in some way, they don't damage anything you own, they don't gently caress with your food, they kill other pests and they're cute.

Spiders are probably the most useful freeloader animals on your property aside from any potential bees.

I mean obviously yeah if you can't get out of your front door for all the spider webs, you probably have good reason to want to get rid of some spiders. But otherwise it just seems pointlessly murderous to me.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PurpleXVI posted:

Pretty sure there's literally no spider in the world that will attack a human that isn't threatening/endangering it in some way, they don't damage anything you own, they don't gently caress with your food, they kill other pests and they're cute.

Spiders are probably the most useful freeloader animals on your property aside from any potential bees.

I mean obviously yeah if you can't get out of your front door for all the spider webs, you probably have good reason to want to get rid of some spiders. But otherwise it just seems pointlessly murderous to me.

Besides the freak out wife, how do you explain the spiders all over your walls and counters to guests at gatherings. People come into my house and socialize.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

“It’s OK. These are working spiders.”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Besides the freak out wife, how do you explain the spiders all over your walls and counters to guests at gatherings. People come into my house and socialize.

As already pointed out, if you have a severe infestation of spiders, you have an even more severe infestation of spider food, and you should take care of that, pronto.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meet a hundred million spiders.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unfortunately, you can 'threaten' or 'endanger' a spider without actually realizing it, like if you bumble into their web or sit down on a toilet where some funnel web has set up camp. Or if you have a child who might decide to poke at something new and interesting. I like spiders and I don't like to kill them, but ones that are potentially harmful, even if only 'provoked' are fair game to purge. Yes, if you have spiders you have food for them, but often their prey isn't harmful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Like if you have a black mamba in your house, you may have a rat problem, but you should absolutely get rid of the snake that may kill you despite that. There are less risky ways to handle the rats.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PurpleXVI posted:

I periodically get fishing spiders in the house. They can be big enough to hear moving and have a tendency to pop up on my nightstand when I'm trying to sleep.

The ones that stay outside, or between my window and screen get to live. The ones that make it to the bedroom get squished or vaccumed up. The normal-sized, non-swimming spiders can take care of any bugs that make it inside.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've been looking into fishing as a hobby, and now I'm not anymore, thanks

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Like if you have a black mamba in your house, you may have a rat problem, but you should absolutely get rid of the snake that may kill you despite that. There are less risky ways to handle the rats.

This is the cool and right answer. Judge each spider on its individual merits, and find a less risky way to take care of your bugs than a black widow biting you because you spooked it. hth

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have a huge huntsman spider that is usually on the wall of my lounge room somewhere. I say hello every time I see it and continue on my way.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Don't eat or inhale DE, it chews your insides up good.

Spiders rule don't hurt them. I've got some good spider stories from working at a city park in Florida.

You can get food grade diatomaceous earth which should be safe to consume, but I don't really see why you would want to ever eat the stuff. Apparently there's also filter grade which is full of silicates which you definitely don't want to breath in or eat.

When we had ants in the house I got the food grade stuff because I din't trust our cats not to mess around with it!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I take it you’ve never had a Sydney Funnel Web bumble their way through the front door. They way they bread is the male goes looking for a partner after rain and is an aggressive gently caress while doing so. They’ll come in the front door with their front legs up on the attack. The one time I had it happen I ripped my pants getting up as quickly as I did. I killed the gently caress out of that thing but it took a decent amount of work.
Only spiders that I nope out of completely on are funnel webs and red backs which are similar to American widows. I’ll let the goofy loving huntsmans hang out cause they’ll get rid of red backs and white tails.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Burt Sexual posted:

You can catch and relocate as necessary, and clear out webs as appropriate and/or as they accumulate stink bugs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Them funnel web spiders can kill you in 8 seconds just by looking at you.

https://youtu.be/CGKVAblvDlY?t=34

gently caress spiders. I hate those fuckers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Well, you may in fact be living in a cave in Spiderville, Spidervania and should consider a move, if spiders are swarming across every surface in carpet-thick mats of legs and hair.

Because the only visible webs I have, while making absolutely zero effort to annihilate my arachnid friends, are the disused ones in a few high corners that get all dusty, and which I clear out because no spiders are inhabiting them anyway. The spiders themselves usually keep to their webs in the high corners as well as the dark places where there aren't constantly big, disruptive mammals getting up to things.

And if the occasional spider web in a corner is the sort of thing that makes your guests imperiously demand an explanation or mock you, perhaps you need to socialize with a better kind of person.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There hasn't been a death from a funnel web spider since the antivenom was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Had a roommate in college get bit by a brown recluse while sleeping. It was a disgusting wound.

So, I'll continued to kill spiders in my home.