Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The Netherlands, Denmark.

Kind of. They're less car-centric, but still very car friendly, except for those old city centers with really narrow streets. The car ownership rate in both of those countries is high at about 50%, but I think they could reduce that more quickly than the US due to short distances, friendly topography, high degree of urbanization and social wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mozi posted:

You can just look at sea level rise projections to know this is already unavoidable (maybe not NYC if they spend many billions on a sea wall.)

Like, seriously. We know those places are going away, it's just a matter of when they will have to face the music. So putting that as a negative on a plan to mitigate the worst impacts of climate change does not make sense.

If we hit the Paris Accord or even miss by a degree or two some of these places will still be around but you are going to have a steady stream of folks unemployed. Those just beginning their career will be able go back in school but the rest are just kind of hosed?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The Netherlands, Denmark.

Would be curious to get perspective on China's city planning as well since they have the biggest urbanization crunch of any country to undergo.

Everything I've seen with China's "One Belt One Road" is traditional transportation but with a stronger emphasis on things like modern high speed rail.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I don't know for sure, but I suspect China's urban planning is disappointingly conventional.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tab8715 posted:

If we hit the Paris Accord or even miss by a degree or two some of these places will still be around but you are going to have a steady stream of folks unemployed. Those just beginning their career will be able go back in school but the rest are just kind of hosed?

No, we're already at CO2 concentrations above the Eemian optimum. During that interglacial sea levels were 6-9 meters higher. The IPCC targets mostly affect the rate of sea level rise because less optimistic scenarios include more ice sheet contributions instead of just the expansion of water as temperature increases via the ideal gas law. NYC is about the only aforementioned place where SLR would not sink almost the entire region (although it'd certainly sink sections). They have bad news about the poleward migration of tropical cyclones under warming climates though.

Our coastlines should adapt with the ultimate expectation of 1.5 - 3m of SLR by 2100 with estimates as high as 9 - 15m by 2300. A responsible species would adapt by clearing out all of their infrastructure debris and Superfund sites before transient inundation becomes frequent. We will not do this and thus will create yet another ecological disaster as our coasts flood.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

No, we're already at CO2 concentrations above the Eemian optimum. During that interglacial sea levels were 6-9 meters higher. The IPCC targets mostly affect the rate of sea level rise because less optimistic scenarios include more ice sheet contributions instead of just the expansion of water as temperature increases via the ideal gas law. NYC is about the only aforementioned place where SLR would not sink almost the entire region (although it'd certainly sink sections). They have bad news about the poleward migration of tropical cyclones under warming climates though.

Our coastlines should adapt with the ultimate expectation of 1.5 - 3m of SLR by 2100 with estimates as high as 9 - 15m by 2300. A responsible species would adapt by clearing out all of their infrastructure debris and Superfund sites before transient inundation becomes frequent. We will not do this and thus will create yet another ecological disaster as our coasts flood.

Can't cause an ecological disaster by polluting the oceans if all marine life's already dead :thunk:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Are there any maps that show coastline projections in 2040 and 2060? I'm picking those years because ideally I'd be retired, well-off if not wealthy and spend my wonder years traveling the world but maybe not if everything cool is underwater.

On the flip side, it looks like tourism will be nearly destroyed. I wonder how Vegas would turn out.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any maps that show coastline projections in 2040 and 2060? I'm picking those years because ideally I'd be retired, well-off if not wealthy and spend my wonder years traveling the world but maybe not if everything cool is underwater.

On the flip side, it looks like tourism will be nearly destroyed. I wonder how Vegas would turn out.

In the 2040 - 2060 window the main SLR effects are transient inundation due to enhanced flooding from tidal cycles (see: King tides) and enhanced storm surge impacts from tropical cyclones. Of course, increasing temperatures also enhance freshwater flooding impacts from tropical cyclones as well, so coastal places will get Harvey'ed more often.

SLR is slow and unavoidable. Outlier events will drive infrastructure damage and migration long before permanent inundation does, and the latter is more of a concern in the 2060 and onward time frame.

On the bright side, you may be able to go on some exciting vacations in that time window to see things like the last saltwater fish exhibit.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

taking bets: which is the first major US city to either experience massive population migration or be totally abandoned due to climate change (or climate change induced disasters)?

the shortlist is probably Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, and Houston, but curious to hear y'all's thoughts

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Luneshot posted:

taking bets: which is the first major US city to either experience massive population migration or be totally abandoned due to climate change (or climate change induced disasters)?

the shortlist is probably Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, and Houston, but curious to hear y'all's thoughts

Look up Tampa's Hurricane Phoenix disaster planning scenario if you want to see a bunch of dead people and migrants get created real fast.

It's one of those "when" not "if" scenarios kinda like California's ARkStorm scenario.

Houston also came extremely close to a catastrophic dam failure in Harvey and no one really likes talking about it or actually dealing with the state of the Barker and Addicks reservoirs. They could easily end up on that list as well.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Could migration patterns already have changed somewhat after the recent few years of natural disasters in the US?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Look up Tampa's Hurricane Phoenix disaster planning scenario if you want to see a bunch of dead people and migrants get created real fast.

It's one of those "when" not "if" scenarios kinda like California's ARkStorm scenario.

Houston also came extremely close to a catastrophic dam failure in Harvey and no one really likes talking about it or actually dealing with the state of the Barker and Addicks reservoirs. They could easily end up on that list as well.

I wasn't aware of either of these planning scenarios; that's some terrifying poo poo- especially knowing that they are not only likely, but inevitable.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Luneshot posted:

My first thought was Phoenix, but on thinking that, I realized there are a few outcomes of a 150 degree heatwave, and none of them are "try to leave the area".
Miami is my new guess. Either the hurricanes just keep getting bigger or it just goes full Venice in a couple decades.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
For migration, my money's on New Orleans. It's both low and sinking. But the port and historic districts will probably be considered worth saving.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Currently reading through New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson, after thoroughly enjoying Aurora off the recommendation either in this thread or the CSPAM climate change thread.

The premise is that New York has sunk due to rising sea levels as expected, there was massive quantitative easing done by the government that injected a shitload of money in the economy. Disaster capitalism takes hold and the stock market is doing better than ever, with an inscrutable index fund based on the sea level rise that is disconnected with actual reality. The gulf between the rich and poor continues unabated and it is a hell world for people without means. The haves live in enclaves within glitzy skyscrapers where the lower levels have been waterproofed while the poor are literally drowning in condemned buildings that are disintegrating as the tide ebbs and flows or living a meager existence on leaky dinghies. A middle class clutches on to whatever they have, many barely securing decent housing thanks to their parents leaving behind something to live in.

quite optimistic, this book

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Polio Vax Scene posted:

My first thought was Phoenix, but on thinking that, I realized there are a few outcomes of a 150 degree heatwave, and none of them are "try to leave the area".
Miami is my new guess. Either the hurricanes just keep getting bigger or it just goes full Venice in a couple decades.

Is anyone able to link sources or go into more detail on 150f heat waves?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 22, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Oh, the "rare earth" stuff.

Tesla and most all EV's use INDUCTION MOTORS. No magnets, rare-earth or otherwise. Just wire and metal.

The Rare Earth Magnet stories are misinformation promoted by the fossil fuel industry.

Copper mining is pretty nasty poo poo too, unless they are using all recycled copper.

However, the Rare Earth Magnet stuff is correct for Wind Turbines, which largely use Permanent Magnet generators now.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone able to link sources or go into more detail on 150f heat waves?

Fun fact: typical residential air conditioners just don't work properly past 120 degrees

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Even disregarding lethal heat waves, Phoenix is the dictionary definition of “completely unsustainable”. If we completely banned agriculture in the Southwest we might delay it a while, but even then... I wouldn’t make any real estate investments there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a simple bullet point list of what cities are essentially inhabitable in 2060?

I wonder when the crisis will hit the American middle class and politicians won’t be able to claim it’s just a thing.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a simple bullet point list of what cities are essentially inhabitable in 2060?

I wonder when the crisis will hit the American middle class and politicians won’t be able to claim it’s just a thing.

It's pretty hard to say for sure because of the inherently stochastic nature of climate change disasters and it really depends on what sort of trajectory we take with our carbon emissions. Since sea level rise is relatively slow, even the cities most vulnerable to it might still be populated.

Here's a neat interactive map on what the climate in US cities are likely to be like in 2080, assuming RCP 8.5.
https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tab8715 posted:

To Americans? Probably not for awhile, likely not even most of our lifetime sadly. We're going to see more poo poo like this with more extinctions cropping up; more mega droughts + mega floods, cities will be hit massively with people trying to move to somewhere inhabitable and being resisted locally, but it'll sort of been seen through a telescopic lens from the perspective of most americans. It's like watching how the german middle class and rest of europe was fairly nonchalant and w/e about the nazis because hey doesn't effect us; or how americans largely thought the great depression wouldn't affect them just some dopey farmers loving up until it then hit everyone; it's always very much "oh it can't happen to me" mentality. California wildfires, hurricane katrina, hurricane sandys/maria/whatever are all like "oh no that's tragic" and then mostly out of sight out of mind because "we" truly do not care what happens to anyone else as long as it doesn't happen till us and that belief that "its okay i'll be fine" is strongly pervasive. Of course until it does happen.

The crisis is going to be painful for many Others, but never directly effecting the nebulous american "middle class" voters for awhile.

Also it's not going to be like 'x doesn't exist anymore' like Atlantis, but it'll probably see massive displacements for combination of geopolitical events and various parts will be hurt but they'll still be standing and lived in. We might see some abandoned southwest towns or something that were already basically population: 100, but in terms of 'major' cities being uninhabitable I don't think that's going to happen till into the 2100s.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The Pacific Northwest will turn pliocene-like slower than the rest of North America. Find a suitable place where you think you won't be inhaling wildfire smoke all the time.

Otherwise go migrate to Patagonia or something.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

At the rate we're going, extinction rate will outrun infrastructure collapse from weather, so go wherever you want, just get ready to be hungry and sick and tired of jellyfish.

And lol if you think you won't be feeling the effects of this during your lifetime.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You're going to see a massive depopulation of Tucson followed by Las Vegas and Phoenix as Lake Meads dries up over the next 15 years.

All you need is a Cape Town-like water crisis where conditions don't reverse in the nick of time to witness the death of an urban center.

Xaris posted:

To Americans? Probably not for awhile, likely not even most of our lifetime sadly. We're going to see more poo poo like this with more extinctions cropping up; more mega droughts + mega floods, cities will be hit massively with people trying to move to somewhere inhabitable and being resisted locally, but it'll sort of been seen through a telescopic lens from the perspective of most americans. It's like watching how the german middle class and rest of europe was fairly nonchalant and w/e about the nazis because hey doesn't effect us; or how americans largely thought the great depression wouldn't affect them just some dopey farmers loving up until it then hit everyone; it's always very much "oh it can't happen to me" mentality. California wildfires, hurricane katrina, hurricane sandys/maria/whatever are all like "oh no that's tragic" and then mostly out of sight out of mind because "we" truly do not care what happens to anyone else as long as it doesn't happen till us and that belief that "its okay i'll be fine" is strongly pervasive. Of course until it does happen.

The crisis is going to be painful for many Others, but never directly effecting the nebulous american "middle class" voters for awhile.

Also it's not going to be like 'x doesn't exist anymore' like Atlantis, but it'll probably see massive displacements for combination of geopolitical events and various parts will be hurt but they'll still be standing and lived in. We might see some abandoned southwest towns or something that were already basically population: 100, but in terms of 'major' cities being uninhabitable I don't think that's going to happen till into the 2100s.

This post is so incredibly meta.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 22, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Miami is probably gone before most people posting here are into old age. It won't be entirely underwater yet, but the city is probably finished as a meaningful metropolitan area as soon as the real estate panic starts and everyone desperately tries to avoid being the one left holding the bag. That could happen sooner or later depending on how unlucky we are with storms.

The effects of climate change induced real estate market collapse and internal migration are going to be a hell of a thing to see.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

Miami is probably gone before most people posting here are into old age. It won't be entirely underwater yet, but the city is probably finished as a meaningful metropolitan area as soon as the real estate panic starts and everyone desperately tries to avoid being the one left holding the bag. That could happen sooner or later depending on how unlucky we are with storms.

The effects of climate change induced real estate market collapse and internal migration are going to be a hell of a thing to see.
I would agree with this and I lust for Florida death. As you say, it'll be declining but not "dead dead", just dead as in no future and only slow collapse and real estate busts. True Florida underwater eradication is going to take longer than that. Also I lust for Arizona death and it's true one major 7+ year total mega drought will cause massive depopulation and collapse of the southwest with maybe some parts still inhabited on the little water available. Definitely could happen by 2040 or sooner, although the real truly awful poo poo is going to be happening in central and south america before then and we'll just go la-la-la not our problem as usual.

Water Knife was a documentary, also would recommend.

I honestly don't think American politicians are going to take it seriously with exception being some incredibly tepid Chuck Schumer-esque lipservice at best until all baby bombers and most of gen x are dead though, so another 25+ years? But yes millions of americans will "feel" it sooner than later for sure but will it collectively alter the american exceptionalism 'i'll be fine' mindset nation-wide that controls vast swathes of political power before then? I sure hope so but we have such a fundamentally broken congress with a senate being so thoroughly hosed on a fundamental-level that it's going to take awhile.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 22, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I bought a house in Winnipeg, a city in an area with climate expected to support crops until the bitter end, and also protected by a floodway in a part of the world known for devastating floods. Its in an area easily serviced by public transit close to the core but also not in an area too close to the chronically poor areas.

I'm gonna be rich when I sell my little house.

Or dead.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Xaris posted:

I honestly don't think American politicians are going to take it seriously with exception being some incredibly tepid Chuck Schumer-esque lipservice at best until all baby bombers and most of gen x are dead though, so another 25+ years? But yes millions of americans will "feel" it sooner than later for sure but will it collectively alter the american exceptionalism 'i'll be fine' mindset nation-wide that controls vast swathes of political power before then? I sure hope so but we have such a fundamentally broken congress with a senate being so thoroughly hosed on a fundamental-level that it's going to take awhile.

We're one stochastic event away from politicians having to care about it imo. The population is primed for attributing extreme weather events to climate change and we're either going to have an event with a 5 digit death toll (think dam failure) or a 6 figure migration toll (think Arizona drought or wildfire). Maria, Harvey, Paradise fire are close but an order of magnitude or so too small in impact.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Luneshot posted:

It's pretty hard to say for sure because of the inherently stochastic nature of climate change disasters and it really depends on what sort of trajectory we take with our carbon emissions. Since sea level rise is relatively slow, even the cities most vulnerable to it might still be populated.

Here's a neat interactive map on what the climate in US cities are likely to be like in 2080, assuming RCP 8.5.
https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

I've seen this but I am a little confused with their projections. Is good outcome meeting the Paris Accord and the other we do nothing?

I wish there was a global projection with an estimate of how much each degree made a difference.

Xaris posted:

It seems to me that some of us will notice but only if a major catastrophic event hits a major US Metropolitan Area.

That's interesting that you picked 2100 but I assume we will see an impact by that point and the American Public won't just be sitting idle watching disaster movies and voting for Climate Change Deniers.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

At the rate we're going, extinction rate will outrun infrastructure collapse from weather, so go wherever you want, just get ready to be hungry and sick and tired of jellyfish.

And lol if you think you won't be feeling the effects of this during your lifetime.

I'm trying to predict or get some good estimate on how I should plan the rest of my life with climate change. I'm 33 now so I figure I won't be dead until 2080.

And I'm looking for more than just don't move to New Orleans, Miami or Phoenix.

Paradoxish posted:

This is the part that gets me.

Are all of Miami's flood protection projects just useless? I mean, they are are pouring nearly billions into flood protections into the city or at least some it with some extremely smart scientists.

Or is all of this just wishful thinking and praying for a unicorn?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We're one stochastic event away from politicians having to care about it imo. The population is primed for attributing extreme weather events to climate change and we're either going to have an event with a 5 digit death toll (think dam failure) or a 6 figure migration toll (think Arizona drought or wildfire). Maria, Harvey, Paradise fire are close but an order of magnitude or so too small in impact.

I agree completely but will it happen to a city in the United States? Or will people just shrug when it happens to a place like New Orleans?

EvilJoven posted:

I bought a house in Winnipeg, a city in an area with climate expected to support crops until the bitter end, and also protected by a floodway in a part of the world known for devastating floods. Its in an area easily serviced by public transit close to the core but also not in an area too close to the chronically poor areas.

I'm gonna be rich when I sell my little house.

Or dead.

I'm trying to look at this angle.

What's funny is the absolute scale of industries such as Oil & Gas and Tourism. There are so many pensions and 401ks based on these industries, how is it going to turn out in retirement when your nest egg loses 15-25% of it's value?

On the other hand disaster capitalism!

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 22, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tab8715 posted:

Apologies if this had been discussed previously in the thread but what is the carbon neutral solution for ships, airplanes and heavy machinery like tractors?

As far as I can tell there isn’t anything energy dense and light weight enough unless we attach an electrical cord.

Liquid fuels created from hydrogen produced by solar/wind and carbon from the atmosphere

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, if we can get enough electrical energy from renewable sources we can basically do anything. It's just a matter of applying that energy towards various kinds of processing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I'm trying to predict or get some good estimate on how I should plan the rest of my life with climate change. I'm 33 now so I figure I won't be dead until 2080.

2080? You think you'll live to be 94?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Life expectancy in the US increased by 26 years since 1960. An expected increase of 16 years in an equivalent amount of time is fairly sound I reckon? US life expectancy is trending down but if you don't kill yourself or overdose on opiates you should outlive the average without much effort.

Of course this is all on the assumption that climate, war, disease, and/or abject poverty hasn't ravaged the US by then.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That's a really bad assumption to make.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It really is but that's more or less what the premise of living to 2080 requires. Bringing "with climate change" into the picture... it's impossible to answer, really. Especially given you don't need to die as a direct result of climate change (i.e., climate related disaster) to die as a result of climate change.

Oh, by the way, I missed one there. The other leading killer besides suicide and opioid overdose is liver disease, especially among millenials, so careful with that binge drinking you can die just as well with the bottle as the needle.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Are all of Miami's flood protection projects just useless? I mean, they are are pouring nearly billions into flood protections into the city or at least some it with some extremely smart scientists.

Or is all of this just wishful thinking and praying for a unicorn?
Doesn't matter how much flood protection they build in, salt water is going to seep into the groundwater via the limestone, its already happening. Once there's no freshwater you can build all the walls you want unless you include some (seriously expensive) desalinization plants noone's going to be able to live or farm there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Oracle posted:

Doesn't matter how much flood protection they build in, salt water is going to seep into the groundwater via the limestone, its already happening. Once there's no freshwater you can build all the walls you want unless you include some (seriously expensive) desalinization plants noone's going to be able to live or farm there.

quote:

About half of South Florida’s public water supply goes toward keeping lawns and other landscaping green.
yesss

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

2080? You think you'll live to be 94?

Is that too high? I'm in excellent health, regularly exercise and don't generally eat garbage. I did grow up in the Midwest but have been wise enough to stop the ridiculous binge drinking.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It really is but that's more or less what the premise of living to 2080 requires. Bringing "with climate change" into the picture... it's impossible to answer, really. Especially given you don't need to die as a direct result of climate change (i.e., climate related disaster) to die as a result of climate change.

Oh, by the way, I missed one there. The other leading killer besides suicide and opioid overdose is liver disease, especially among millenials, so careful with that binge drinking you can die just as well with the bottle as the needle.

Having a solid grasp on what the world will require with climate change is going to be incredibly difficult to estimate. I have no doubt about that but it's also clear there quite a few things that do stand out. Not living in a low coastal area or in Southwest Desert. Investing in tourism or real estate is going to become difficult.

I suspect those in politics, business leaders, military, scientists, etc. will be inevitably taken care of but really like in any major crisis those with wealth are those ones that'll survive and might not be entirely miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Miami ep of Sinking Cities is pretty neat*:

https://www.pbs.org/video/sinking-cities-miami-bcdxzj/

One of the more :catstare: parts involves a city official suggesting that they might simply build slightly higher roads over existing ones every few decades.

* Damning