Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Is your time worth nothing? You'll won't get good at driving if the things broken.

I... don't like the open RC cars at all. They're all worse than even the cheapest real cars. Durability, weight, precision, and well, everything, absolutely everything, isn't better than a cheap, real car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah basically that. I have no experience with carpet/tarmac cars but just getting a normal 2wd car and learning how to drive that ought to be waaay more rewarding.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I guess I'll have to see. The designing and building/printing side is part of it. I guess I'll spend some time here and there in Onshape and see how it goes, build a sturdier version.

Also, in other news, apparently I'm out of the loop completely, HelioRC with their wonder gyro, they ran their business into ground and went tits up. To the tune of selling their houses and poo poo.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I would much rather design and print a few really good parts for a plane/truggy/quad than print the whole drat thing. It's always going to be too heavy and weak.

Solidworks has a free maker license now, hurray! Designed and printed a v-tail clamp thingy for an eventual plane, and some other random parts so far.

Unfortunately the free solidworks doesn't have any of the simulation modules, but the cad is so good.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, in other news, apparently I'm out of the loop completely, HelioRC with their wonder gyro, they ran their business into ground and went tits up. To the tune of selling their houses and poo poo.

That hype train ride is rough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Solidworks has a free maker license now, hurray! Designed and printed a v-tail clamp thingy for an eventual plane, and some other random parts so far.
Hmm really? The last time I heard about it, you needed a promo code to sign up, which ran out a while ago. Is there a new one?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm not sure if this runs out in a year or what (hopefully it doesn't): https://www.reddit.com/r/maker/comments/a9iw5i/get_solidworks_maker_licence_for_free/

Edit: oh farts it says it doesn't work anymore, I'm a moron

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 16, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/FsI1pOT.gifv

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll have to see. The designing and building/printing side is part of it. I guess I'll spend some time here and there in Onshape and see how it goes, build a sturdier version.
If you like the designing aspect I’d suggest a semi scale crawler. Plenty of accessories and brackets a printer is super useful for.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Quick nobody act surprised

I would much rather design and print a few really good parts for a plane/truggy/quad than print the whole drat thing. It's always going to be too heavy and weak.
Consumer 3D printing is always going to be more appropriate for brackets and doodads than structural members. You don’t print a spar, but it’s great for small aero devices etc.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 16, 2019

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Would a consumer 3d printer be OK to print something like Robart fowler flaps suitable for 200g aircraft, or retractable landing gear?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It can be done, but it's heavier than normal construction. Is the whole plane supposed to be 200g? If so, it's going to be very challenging to print too much, but you could do something like this (images from rcgroups) but this is using 2mm corex for the skins, which would be too heavy for a little 200g plane.

Landing gear, sure I suppose, provided you used metal for the shafts.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dang is that your dive? great work

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Would a consumer 3d printer be OK to print something like Robart fowler flaps suitable for 200g aircraft, or retractable landing gear?
The flaps yes the gear prob not.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bring back old gbs posted:

dang is that your dive? great work

Ha, I wish. I just saw it on Imgur and was impressed.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
This week's dog torturing whoop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0ioCf8Iws

And practicing flippies in 5":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Z57k47pPU

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 18, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Ha, I wish. I just saw it on Imgur and was impressed.

That's a korean pilot called WonFPV I think.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My family's been out of town a few days and I've probably flown more packs in the last 72 hours than the last 72 days. Still trying to learn premiere so I'll continue spamming clips:

Feeling more and more comfortable behind the sticks of this 5" quad, though I've fed two balance leads to the props in the last few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YN02TRcSJw

A few months ago I bought someone else's 7" to make into a long range rig, but made bad decisions due to overconfidence and lost it. To make up for that, I've been baby-stepping through getting its replacement in the air. This weekend I solved a really weird super-jello FPV footage at mid throttle which I've never experienced before by cramming a couple layers of foam tape behind the sensor board, and put it on a 6S pack for the first time. 1750kv motors on 4s had enough gettin' around power but I wanted an excuse to buy more batteries. It's a super fun combination of ground speed and momentum, while also carving new directions super hard. No Gopro ride along yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f3sEr23POk

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

but made bad decisions due to overconfidence and lost it.

I'd be interested to hear the full story behind that...

Also I bet your neighbors love you. Not only do I not really want anyone knowing that I fly (call me paranoid I suppose) just the noise would get the cops called.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

I'd be interested to hear the full story behind that...

Also I bet your neighbors love you. Not only do I not really want anyone knowing that I fly (call me paranoid I suppose) just the noise would get the cops called.

It's nothing exciting; I got this beautiful 7" rig up and running on R9, betaflight with GPS (but no RTH), and scooted it around the yard on a few test flights, inching my way out to about 200m from the house. All was working great; I had the lat long on the OSD, good radio telemetry, and was still running 5.8 video so I knew I'd have relatively short range video so I couldn't get in too much trouble. Basically a lot of half-measures that erroneously convinced me it all couldn't go wrong at once.

Soooo, on pack number 3 or 4, I had some daylight before work and wanted to get out about 400 meters to feel like a cool guy. I turned around to look at myself like 50 times in the first 100 meters, then felt confident and blasted out a few hundred. When I turned around I could no longer identify my house, street, neighborhood, or any familiar landmarks. I went out (I thought) in a straight line and felt confident I had made a 180 turn, so I kept cruising but video got worse and worse; I tried to climb, tried different directions to get better reception, and ultimately lost all video. Once it dropped to the ground I lost telemetry.

I went to review DVR footage but, for the first time in my fpv life, I had actually filled up the SD card and it didn't record that flight. My taranis did not save the GPS coords from telemetry. I drove around every street for miles holding my radio up to see if I'd get a telemetry hit but nothing. Later that week we started to get snow, and it's been a snowpocalypse ever since. I've gone out on photo missions a few times the snow has receded with my mavic to see if I could spot an X on the ground, but no luck.

Since you brought it up; yes big quads are annoying sounding. I live in farm country and only have one neighbor within 100 meters, and (aside from my first time flying 5") I only fly if they are not outside enjoying the porch/yard. The people around here all run snow blowers, snow mobiles, and other loud poo poo all the time so I'm not worried about it, but if anyone complains I have enough quiet micros to stay happy.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ahh... that sucks. Based on not being able to reacquire the signal while driving around, I'd say either the battery disconnected when it hit the ground or you were going in a completely different direction than you thought you were (which is something I've done while flying in a new area, even with RTH and an arrow pointing the way home).

Those R9s are pretty great though. I've been 4 miles on the 100mW setting with just the stock dipole, lol. Anyway I'm sure it's not lost on you, but just develop a checklist for flying long range and always go through the checklist. I've lost one plane by not following the checklist, thankfully it was right at launch so I was at least able to salvage the gear out of it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

It's nothing exciting; I got this beautiful 7" rig up and running on R9, betaflight with GPS (but no RTH), and scooted it around the yard on a few test flights, inching my way out to about 200m from the house. All was working great; I had the lat long on the OSD, good radio telemetry, and was still running 5.8 video so I knew I'd have relatively short range video so I couldn't get in too much trouble. Basically a lot of half-measures that erroneously convinced me it all couldn't go wrong at once.
Wait I thought BF remembered where it’s been a armed?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anybody have more information, or a source, for the IMUF/Helio guy going bankrupt?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait I thought BF remembered where it’s been a armed?

If you’re running a version with RTH and have set it up as a mode then yes; this one didn’t have it.

Interesting note about BF RTH: it has a min distance to activate that is like 2 or 300 meters from the arm point, and if you activate RTH inside that distance then the fucker disarms and drops. You can modify it with CLI commands.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I still remember how utterly lost and confused I was the first time seeing my area from a few hundred feet up, over 640p. Home arrow saved me.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Does anybody have more information, or a source, for the IMUF/Helio guy going bankrupt?

Bardwell has a couple videos about it now

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bardwell has a couple videos about it now

yeah i wanted that, but a day ago

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A vassal of HelioRC, i.e. some dude from Butterflight, claims they won the (ostensibly sealed) settlement. But instead of gloating, as you'd expect from that idiot Tim Sweet, they went completely AWOL, owing money and hardware to vendors that don't know what the gently caress. Also two of the HelioRC triplets sold their houses apparently, the timing is interesting, probably for lawyer fees and poo poo. The third one, Kalyn/rs2k, who did all the coding, eventually surfaced for a short moment and claims a burn-out. The other party, i.e. Preston/FlightOne, is yapping happily about said settlement, despite that supposed seal, and claims that HelioRC just about skid past a huge legal catastrophe, and lost the main reason for the lawsuit, grabbing the rights to Raceflight/FlightOne (both name and exclusive rights to the code).

Some poo poo like that.

Either way, HelioRC, in whatever form, will not recover from this, because of that AWOL poo poo. I don't think commerce takes kindly to that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

A vassal of HelioRC, i.e. some dude from Butterflight, claims they won the (ostensibly sealed) settlement. But instead of gloating, as you'd expect from that idiot Tim Sweet, they went completely AWOL, owing money and hardware to vendors that don't know what the gently caress. Also two of the HelioRC triplets sold their houses apparently, the timing is interesting, probably for lawyer fees and poo poo. The third one, Kalyn/rs2k, who did all the coding, eventually surfaced for a short moment and claims a burn-out. The other party, i.e. Preston/FlightOne, is yapping happily about said settlement, despite that supposed seal, and claims that HelioRC just about skid past a huge legal catastrophe, and lost the main reason for the lawsuit, grabbing the rights to Raceflight/FlightOne (both name and exclusive rights to the code).

Some poo poo like that.

Either way, HelioRC, in whatever form, will not recover from this, because of that AWOL poo poo. I don't think commerce takes kindly to that.

Thanks. that's too bad it just sort of petered out from a lawsuit. I was flying with a guy who swears by IMUF boards the other day so I wanted to know a bit of info if it came up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some poo poo like that.

That's the gist of it as far as I know.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was flying with a guy who swears by IMUF boards the other day so I wanted to know a bit of info if it came up.
Yeah I don't get that IMU-F. I'm not sure what some autist, with a misunderstanding of Nyquist and Kalman filters (the FKF was one huge loving joke, and pretty much indicative for anything that followed up), has over tons of research bodies working on multirotor control that apparently failed to make the discovery of this awesome signal filtering and prediction technique.

I hoped for Kalyn to pull another fast one like with Raceflight and dump the code somewhere, but nada.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah I don't get that IMU-F. I'm not sure what some autist, with a misunderstanding of Nyquist and Kalman filters (the FKF was one huge loving joke, and pretty much indicative for anything that followed up), has over tons of research bodies working on multirotor control that apparently failed to make the discovery of this awesome signal filtering and prediction technique.

I hoped for Kalyn to pull another fast one like with Raceflight and dump the code somewhere, but nada.

I almost bought a Strix F-10, mostly just to gently caress with my buddies about their lovely out of date F7 boards, but after I saw the last 5+ commits to the butterflight codebase were just Betaflight merges I decided against it. Now Betaflight is removing 32k support entirely and focusing on better filtering an 8k signal so good choice there I guess.

Also I ripped apart 6x Rebel 4s 1360 packs that have been sitting on the shelf for a few months and built 4x 6s packs out of them. they've been sitting in a lipo bag for 2 weeks and havent exploded yet so yay success! Free experiments with 6s!!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

There's something about this video that just works, lo-fi, winter, good music choice. :allears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I almost bought a Strix F-10, mostly just to gently caress with my buddies about their lovely out of date F7 boards
The F10 got its name from having an F7 main MCU and that F3 coprocessor bullshit for the IMU-F, though, because 7+3 == 10. There isn't actually an STM32F10xx. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

The F10 got its name from having an F7 main MCU and that F3 coprocessor bullshit for the IMU-F, though, because 7+3 == 10. There isn't actually an STM32F10xx. :v:

ya that was the joke, we would be flying the same poo poo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh hey, newest rumors are that they might opensource their poo poo. Crossing my fingers.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Call me old fashioned, but I just don't think dual processing is needed or beneficial, I think it provides a placebo effect if anything.

See for example this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwA67rXtjI

It's an old f103, flies great on modern firmware.

Also I wonder if Bardwell still wears kilts

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Somewhere along the way, things got out of hand....

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Oooh I bet that rig sounds raunchy.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Call me old fashioned, but I just don't think dual processing is needed or beneficial, I think it provides a placebo effect if anything.

See for example this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwA67rXtjI

It's an old f103, flies great on modern firmware.

Also I wonder if Bardwell still wears kilts

Hah. timecop was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Depends on how you define dual processing. The separate F3 MCU was HelioRC's way to bypass the GPL and keep their secret sauce hidden. GPL doesn't apply across data buses. And I suppose get some processing headroom for that useless 32KHz poo poo.