Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They just elected a new president...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

They're are closer to a totalitarian state if anything.

Summon the HomeWork Explainer! :krakken:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The victory, and sustained victory, of anti-communism has more than decimated the will (and ability) of the working class to abolish capitalism.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Xaris posted:

Water Knife was a documentary, also would recommend.

The Water Knife severely overstates the legal impact of water rights (they're subject to eminent domain) and mainly appears to be a way for Bacigalupi to shift from depicting the loving a waiflike android (in his previous book) to depicting statutory rape.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cockmaster posted:

There have also been proposals to directly power airplanes with hydrogen.

Turbines will run on drat near anything, but there are issues with storing hydrogen. It does have nice energy density though.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2019

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

The world looking more like Cuba is probably the best outcome of all this that we could possibly hope for.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sitchensis posted:

The world looking more like Cuba is probably the best outcome of all this that we could possibly hope for.

Quoted for truth. They are the only nation with a 100 year plan for climate change that i'm aware of doing any real follow through.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Too bad about their unfortunate geographical location.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

They're are closer to a totalitarian state if anything.

totalitarianism is good

as in, we cannot solve a "global" problem without something that has a mandate over the total scope of the problem. anything less just creates the typical game-theory bullshit of actors trying to push the problem around like a hot potato.

the jet streams do not give the slightest poo poo about borders.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

StabbinHobo posted:

totalitarianism is good

Cuba's great and all but never gonna take on the big dogs. Gotta throw in with China, and trust when they're strong enough they do the right thing. Buying as much junk off dhgate as you can is the best thing we can do for the planet

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Let's roll play,

Let's assume for a moment someone like Warren or Bernie wins in 2020 followed by a Wave of Progressive Democrats that somehow manage to get a super majority in Congress. The New Green Deal is voted, signed and the law of the land.

What happens next? How would our lives change?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

Too bad about their unfortunate geographical location.

At least being surrounded by big water makes it very hard to get aid there from the US mainland (cf. Puerto Rico, but not Venezuela)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tab8715 posted:

Let's roll play,

Let's assume for a moment someone like Warren or Bernie wins in 2020 followed by a Wave of Progressive Democrats that somehow manage to get a super majority in Congress. The New Green Deal is voted, signed and the law of the land.

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/summary-for-policy-makers/

https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-how-shared-socioeconomic-pathways-explore-future-climate-change (GND targets an SSP1 pathway)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tab8715 posted:

Let's roll play,

The Green New Deal is a bottom to top wealth transfer that prioritizes carbon capture tech over emissions reduction. Inequality would grow and warming would continue much the same.

Here's the text:

quote:

1. Invest in sustainable businesses including cooperatives and non-profits by providing grants and loans with an emphasis on small, locally-based companies that keep the wealth created by local labor circulating in the community rather than being drained off to enrich absentee investors.

2. Move to 100% clean energy by 2030. Invest in clean energy technologies that are ready to go now. Redirect research funds from fossil fuels and other dead-end industries toward research in wind, solar, tidal, and geothermal energy. We will invest in research in sustainable, nontoxic materials and closed-loop cycles that eliminate waste and pollution, as well as organic agriculture, permaculture, and sustainable forestry.

3. Create a Commission for Economic Democracy to provide publicity, training, education, and direct financing for cooperative development and for democratic reforms to make government agencies, private associations, and business enterprises more participatory. We will strengthen democracy via participatory budgeting and institutions that encourage local initiative and democratic decision-making.

4. Establish a Renewable Energy Administration on the scale of FDR’s hugely successful Rural Electrification Administration, launched in 1935, that brought electrical power to rural America, 95 per cent of which had no power. Emulated by many other countries, this initiative provided technical support, financing, and coordination to more than 900 municipal cooperatives, many of which still exist. The Green New Deal would update this model with eco-friendly energy sources.

5. End unemployment in America once and for all by guaranteeing a job at a living wage for every American willing and able to work. A Full Employment Program will create up to 20 million jobs, both directly and indirectly, by implementing a nationally-funded, locally-controlled, direct employment initiative replacing unemployment offices with local employment offices. The government will be the employer of last resort, offering jobs meeting community-identified needs in the public and non-profit sectors to take up any slack in private for-profit sector employment. These will include jobs in sustainable energy and energy efficiency retrofitting, mass transit and “complete streets” that promote safe bike and pedestrian traffic, regional food systems based on sustainable organic agriculture, clean manufacturing, infrastructure, and public services (education, youth programs, child care, senior care, etc). Communities will use a process of broad stakeholder input and democratic decision making to fairly design and implement these programs.

Please note the complete and total absence of raising taxes (and please don't tell me about the 70% marginal tax rate on income).

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 24, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I am using the word - miracle - but not in a literal sense. As in how vaccines and the personal computer were miracles.

The most literal sense of miracle is: that which astonishes. Or that which causes wonder.

It is literal to call vaccines miracles.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I am pretty sure a miracle is something that happens as a result of direct action by the hand of god. :shrug:

It's from the Latin word "miraculum"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Turbines will run on drat near anything, but there are issues with storing hydrogen. It does have nice energy density though.

They've been wanting to attach hydrogen generators using waste heat to various power plants for a long time. But the cycles never seem to work out, even when the power plant is steam based (traditional steam plants and PWR /BWR nuclear) and there is a lot of waste heat. Back as an undergrad we modelled a PWR cycle with a hydrogen generator attached and it didn't work :( .

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

It's from the Latin word "miraculum"

I did not know that, I stand corrected then. Thanks for educating me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The Green New Deal is a bottom to top wealth transfer that prioritizes carbon capture tech over emissions reduction. Inequality would grow and warming would continue much the same.

Here's the text:

Please note the complete and total absence of raising taxes (and please don't tell me about the 70% marginal tax rate on income).

i think you're a little confused

- That's the Green Party's Green New Deal proposal, not the Democratic resolution. An understandable mistake, but a pretty important distinction.
- https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/109/text
- It could obviously still change a shitload.
- There's not an explicit "we need a massive wealth tax as part of this", but there's language like "in a way that ensures that the public receives appropriate ownership stakes and returns on investment" and "build wealth and community ownership", plus a lot of labor / disadvantaged communities sorts of stuff.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
pretty good article, crossposting from uspol

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/opinion/sunday/fear-panic-climate-change-warming.html

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Good article about how wrong centrists like Feinstein are. https://www.newyorker.com/news/dail...vists-video/amp

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nail Rat posted:

Good article about how wrong centrists like Feinstein are. https://www.newyorker.com/news/dail...vists-video/amp

Dont read the comments on the video:

"Dianne Feinstein rebuffs young climate activists' calls for Green New Deal – video "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPo34LCss8

:wtc: :smith:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"in a way that ensures that the public receives appropriate ownership stakes and returns on investment" and "build wealth and community ownership", plus a lot of labor / disadvantaged communities sorts of stuff.

The public as shareholders is exactly descriptive of a bottom to top wealth transfer and is nothing like raising taxes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

His book is next up on my reading list. I wish scientists took his approach of scaring us into action vs. a bombardment of scientific jargon.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

White House to set up panel to counter climate change consensus, officials say

These people are all traitors to the human race and deserve to know only the most tortuous charlie horses as they watch the world die out.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 25, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You probably should not post things like this about sitting government officials.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's nice there are laws against that. Be a shame if people could coordinate their self defense (against ghouls who are going to murder the earth and all the life on it)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's possible that a flippant hypothetical about appropriate punishments for people who are destroying the world, I guess, could be taken as a non-specific threat, so removed. It's not particularly productive.

What is neat is that punching someone in the nose is a crime, but omnicide is just a policy choice. Same old, same old.

e: vvvvv :cheers:

Insanite fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 25, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Insanite posted:

It's possible that a flippant hypothetical about appropriate punishments for people who are destroying the world, I guess, could be taken as a non-specific threat, so removed. It's not particularly productive.

What is neat is that punching someone in the nose is a crime, but omnicide is just a policy choice. Same old, same old.

I didn't say you were wrong on the merits.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

pikachode posted:

also every single one of you should change your career area to ecology/environmental engineering/renewables engineering geology/refugee advocacy (whichever is most suited to your personality) if you haven't done so already

I never post in this thread, but i quit my salaried GM job at a lovely pizza joint to go back to college to get a degree in wind energy. Gonna be moving out of the city and going to work on wind turbines. Fun!

God i hope i dont gently caress it up.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

His book is next up on my reading list. I wish scientists took his approach of scaring us into action vs. a bombardment of scientific jargon.

No but you see if they come across as ~too alarmist~ they will scare away all the vitally important centrists and disrupt their ongoing and tremendously effective campaign of climate change mitigation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Morbus posted:

No but you see if they come across as ~too alarmist~ they will scare away all the vitally important centrists and disrupt their ongoing and tremendously effective campaign of climate change mitigation.

I know you're being sarcastic, but this argument really enrages me. Like, yeah, it is fairly well accepted that people who are scared tend to disengage rather than act. That's also not at all applicable to a problem on the scale of climate change because people already aren't acting and almost certainly won't ever be willing to accept change on this level without being scared.

Not to mention that climate change is just inherently scary. It's terrifying. You can't coddle people because sooner or later anyone who isn't an outright denialist will come across something about it that terrifies them and then what? If people are going to disengage, then it's better to let them disengage rather than convince them that the problem isn't bad and doesn't require drastic action.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Better err in the side of scaring the poo poo out of people.

I am correct the earliest we will see substantial climate changes won’t happen until 2040?

If so, what’s the latest?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
What do you mean by significant? When it will bother you personally?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

I am correct the earliest we will see substantial climate changes won’t happen until 2040?

Define substantial.

Four out of the five costliest hurricanes in US history occurred this decade.

Three of them occurred the same year.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

I’m curious about this, we’re seeing substantial changes now in the Americas, Europe and Australasia. Water issues are cropping up in Africa and the Indian subcontinent. Ice changes at both poles are past the ‘substantial’ point. And if reports on things like insect biomass and coral acidification are accurate substantial changes have been occurring both on land and in the oceans.

So, uh, what do you mean when you say ‘substantial’?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I never post in this thread, but i quit my salaried GM job at a lovely pizza joint to go back to college to get a degree in wind energy. Gonna be moving out of the city and going to work on wind turbines. Fun!

God i hope i dont gently caress it up.
you have done a great and courageous thing and i pronounce you king of the thread

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

So, uh, what do you mean when you say ‘substantial’?

When it’s on the nightly news every night and almost all conservations no matter how casual.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

When it’s on the nightly news every night and almost all conservations no matter how casual.

You can expect climate change-driven global economic depression to begin in the 2030s, triggered by any combination of: a series of natural disasters, a major war, or the carbon bubble popping.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Ah, that’s not substantial effects of climate change, we’re seeing those now. That’s a narrative change that accompanies a political shift. We may see that. Hopefully. We may not. Who knows? The White House just announced its forming a committee to refute its own climate findings? Who knows? Well physics, but physics is a dick and doesn’t negotiate so, yeah.

^^
In regard to the negative effects I’d argue Syria was a cc conflict. You’ll see lots and soon but they won’t be framed as cc issues, they’ll be civil wars, land right conflicts, economic migration etc.

Edit edit; watch Pakistan and India. poo poo there could get hot fast and will be primarily cc concerned fueled by years of animosity. That’s my bet for the first big holy gently caress what hotspot

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can expect climate change-driven global economic depression to begin in the 2030s, triggered by any combination of: a series of natural disasters, a major war, or the carbon bubble popping.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Carbon bubble?