Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Imagine thinking Robespierre was a villain in the first place

Haven is a big weird dumb amalgation of 'WELFARE-STATE AMERICA!' Stalin's Russia, and Revolutionary France. The first one is literally Weber's words, who seems to believe that welfare makes people inherently evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Beyond his idiot politics, that first book sucked.

I felt bad for the voice actress on the audiobook, trying her hardest to voice the most lifeless woman in the galaxy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Imagine thinking Robespierre was a villain in the first place

any enemy of Hébert is no friend of mine

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Beyond his idiot politics, that first book sucked.

I felt bad for the voice actress on the audiobook, trying her hardest to voice the most lifeless woman in the galaxy.

Got some bad news for you: That was by far the best book in the entire series.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 28, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Trying to comprehend not just reading Honor Harrington but reading enough Honor Harrington to know which Honor Harrington books are the bad ones.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I've got an idea for a book: What about a sexy lady captain, who is very tough and strong, and has a psychic cat. She takes over a ship with problems."

"Ok, sounds good. So what is her deal? Does she have a violent past? Is she dealing with memories of her actions in war? Is she like a female Kirk? Or is she more like an Admiral Nelson type, with clever retorts?"

"That's the beauty... I'm going to write her like she was an android. And then the reader is going to get to the end of the book, and guess what? She isn't a robot at all! Just the world's most boring person."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Trying to picture not just reading Honor Harrington but reading enough Honor Harrington to know which Honor Harrington books are the bad ones.

This is actually the most easiest thing in the world to know though: The answer is all of them, and each one is worse than the last.

I think my favorite idea in the first book is that command of a space station that has control over the entire economic flow of the entire nation and makes the commander obscenely rich without any effort at all was an undesirable 'backwater' punishment post.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
No, I mean I honestly want to know what drew you to the series in the first place and made you keep reading multiple books after the first one sucked.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No, I mean I honestly want to know what drew you to the series in the first place and made you keep reading multiple books after the first one sucked.

Hate-Reading is a very serious ailment that thousands of idiots suffer from every year.

Also I stopped reading after the second one 'cuz I kept getting told it was the best one and it was actually worse and dumber than the first one, so I just let my friend who stupidly liked the books fill me in on them.

ElGroucho posted:

"I've got an idea for a book: What about a sexy lady captain, who is very tough and strong, and has a psychic cat. She takes over a ship with problems."

"Ok, sounds good. So what is her deal? Does she have a violent past? Is she dealing with memories of her actions in war? Is she like a female Kirk? Or is she more like an Admiral Nelson type, with clever retorts?"

"That's the beauty... I'm going to write her like she was an android. And then the reader is going to get to the end of the book, and guess what? She isn't a robot at all! Just the world's most boring person."

Hey hey! She is actually suppose to be literally Female Horatio Hornblower, In Space. And she's the world's most boring person because she has self-esteem issues from nearly being raped! That's so much better!

(Please do not construe that as anything but sarcasm.)

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
What's the fanfiction situation for Rothfuss' stuff?

When JK Rowling announced that there would be a three-year wait between Harry Potter 4 and 5 - instead of the usual one year - the fanfiction scene blew up because people needed that void filled because of all the threads that were left dangling after the biggest cliffhanger in the series up to that point occurred. I'm sure the size and scope of the ASOIF series (plus the TV show) has people writing all sorts of GRRM stuff. The one and only nerd convention I ever went to had a 90-minute long panel about what might happen in ASOIF and specifically noted fanfiction in it as proof that people were researching on the same page.

Does Rothfuss conjure up that same kind of devotion of fans wanting to fill his world with terrible stories?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Captain Hotbutt posted:

When JK Rowling announced that there would be a three-year wait between Harry Potter 4 and 5 - instead of the usual one year - the fanfiction scene blew up because people needed that void filled because of all the threads that were left dangling after the biggest cliffhanger in the series up to that point occurred. I'm sure the size and scope of the ASOIF series (plus the TV show) has people writing all sorts of GRRM stuff. The one and only nerd convention I ever went to had a 90-minute long panel about what might happen in ASOIF and specifically noted fanfiction in it as proof that people were researching on the same page.

Does Rothfuss conjure up that same kind of devotion of fans wanting to fill his world with terrible stories?
The Kingkiller Chronicle has 141 stories listed on Fanfiction.net, more than the Vampirates series (139) but not as many as the 13th Reality series (144).

Edit: The Harry Potter series has 802,000, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are listed separately but have 69,600 combined, A Song of Ice and Fire has 8,600, and Christopher Paolini's Inheritance "cycle" has 6,300.

Edit, again: The Great Gatsby somehow has more than double the amount of fanfiction that Rothfuss's oeuvre can boast, at 362 stories. What kind of weirdo writes fanfiction of The Great Gatsby?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 28, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Kingkiller Chronicle has 141 stories listed on Fanfiction.net, more than the Vampirates series (139) but not as many as the 13th Reality series (144).

Edit: The Harry Potter series has 802,000, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are listed separately but have 69,600 combined, A Song of Ice and Fire has 8,600, and Christopher Paolini's Inheritance "cycle" has 6,300.

Edit, again: The Great Gatsby somehow has more than double the amount of fanfiction that Rothfuss's oeuvre can boast, at 362 stories. What kind of weirdo writes fanfiction of The Great Gatsby?

AO3 is the new hotness for fanfiction, but there's still only 152 Kingkiller stories there lmao, and who knows how many of those are just mirrored from fanfiction.net

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 28, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What kind of weirdo writes fanfiction?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I already know that kind of weirdo, which is why this specific kind of weirdo gives me pause. It doesn't seem like that book should appeal in any way to the fanfiction mindset.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thesis: the quality of a work is inversely correlated with the amount of fanfiction it generates

variables: age of work, reach of work

conclusion: harry potter is balls

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I already know that kind of weirdo, which is why this specific kind of weirdo gives me pause. It doesn't seem like that book should appeal in any way to the fanfiction mindset.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess AP English students who had to read it for class and don't have the life context to appreciate the story yet but still found the failed romance aspects engaging

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want to see the fan fic for Finnigan's Wake

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I hate-read the entire altered carbon takeshi kovacs series after i decided i didn't like it midway through the first book when he hosed the old dude's wife for reasons.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pakman posted:

I hate-read the entire altered carbon takeshi kovacs series after i decided i didn't like it midway through the first book when he hosed the old dude's wife for reasons.

I like those books but the sex scenes seem kind of perfunctory and formulaic. Like there's one each book and woo boy here's the crazy future sex scene.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The TV show is pretty good so you don't have to read the books.

Let's say Rothfuss has incurable writer's block and never published another book and some enterprising shameless money-grubber tries to finish the series for him. Are there comparable examples of a series finishing when the plot is in such bad shape and has barely progressed two novels in?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Wheel of Time is your closest example. The series really stagnated from books 7-10 and the author wrote a prequel novel at the end of that span that was an expansion of a short story he'd already published and was entirely unnecessary.

The big difference is that book 11 was a return to form so to speak and it looked like all the pieces were finally in place to wrap up the story before he was diagnosed with a rare cancer and died.

Brandon Sanderson was immediately hired to write the last book and looking at what had already been written and the notes left behind, he realized it was actually three more books.

He cranked those fuckers out at a record pace and even worked on his own projects at the same time. The ending was entirely ok.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wheel of Time is your closest example. The series really stagnated from books 7-10 and the author wrote a prequel novel at the end of that span that was an expansion of a short story he'd already published and was entirely unnecessary.

The big difference is that book 11 was a return to form so to speak and it looked like all the pieces were finally in place to wrap up the story before he was diagnosed with a rare cancer and died.

Brandon Sanderson was immediately hired to write the last book and looking at what had already been written and the notes left behind, he realized it was actually three more books.

He cranked those fuckers out at a record pace and even worked on his own projects at the same time. The ending was entirely ok.

The ending had great adequasivity. Sanderson is a reliable workhorse of a writer.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Captain Hotbutt posted:

In my experience with fans of Ruthfuss, no one is writing poo poo because, much like Rothfuss they haven't figured out how to make a middling first book and an abyssmal second book into the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean the task of trying to fix this poo poo pile is so great, that I don't think it can reasonably be done. That said, I'm sure there's a wealth of fanfic with all the characters loving each other./

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Karnegal posted:

That said, I'm sure there's a wealth of fanfic with all the characters loving each other./

An accurate description of The Wise Man's Fear.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

the fandom for HP was more dominated by women than I imagine Kingkiller is. They're more likely to engage in transformative fandom which is what a lot of fanfiction and fanart falls under. Mostly because they've been underrepresented so they're more willing to disregard notions of canon to create content that they want to see.

Like with star wars the angry male nerds are still harassing the director and doing absurd poo poo, whereas in the transformative space people are doing "what if rey and kylo were pro gamers and fell in love?" fics.

pseudanonymous posted:

I like those books but the sex scenes seem kind of perfunctory and formulaic. Like there's one each book and woo boy here's the crazy future sex scene.

maybe i'm sheltered but i don't think i've read a mainstream fiction book with a fairly long description of virtual reality rimming before.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Paragon8 posted:

Like with star wars the angry male nerds are still harassing the director and doing absurd poo poo, whereas in the transformative space people are doing "what if rey and kylo were pro gamers and fell in love?" fics.

It's about time we had a gamer Jedi.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thinking about the Bottle post where he calls out the horde of old guys in The Name of the Wind who smile wisely in a friend kind of way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I remember there being a weird sex scene in the "The Damned" trilogy where a race of like reptilians had created VR environments that humans loved to gently caress in but they themselves were so dispassionate that they didn't see the appeal and thought humans were weird for enjoying it. I think there may have been a voyeur aspect where the alien had to monitor the loving and alter the content appropriately, but I could be misremembering. I haven't read those since 2003 or thereabouts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

50 Shades of Grey was originally Twilight fanfiction.

...so 50 Shades of Grey fanfiction is fanfiction fanfiction.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

50 Shades of Grey was originally Twilight fanfiction.

...so 50 Shades of Grey fanfiction is fanfiction fanfiction.

Twilight is Anne Rice fanfiction in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

I think that's what was meant

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I always thought Twilight was World of Darkness fanfiction which in itself is Anne Rice fanfiction

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
All that poo poo is just Beowulf fan fic

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I think that's what was meant

50 Shades was explicitly an online Twilight fanfic whose leads were called Bella and Edward.

Apparently the published and online versions are 89% similar according to plagiarism software.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It was a common thing in Twilight fandom at the time to write Bella/Edward fanfic, improve it with feedback, and then delete it once they sold it to an agent or indie published. Lots of trash was written that way. EL Janes caused a lot of anger and fury in the fandom when they realized what she had done because 50 Shades was dragged in the fandom too.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

HIJK posted:

It was a common thing in Twilight fandom at the time to write Bella/Edward fanfic, improve it with feedback, and then delete it once they sold it to an agent or indie published. Lots of trash was written that way. EL Janes caused a lot of anger and fury in the fandom when they realized what she had done because 50 Shades was dragged in the fandom too.

This still happens with fanfic. People move their popular slash fic to Kindle Unlimited with name changes and delete the originals, usually to the anger of fans who resent the move to "profic." Unknown whether pissing off most of their audience helps when trying to make money off of it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Starting my Kvothe fanfic now

In my version, he is even handsomer and sexier, and better than ever with an electric guitar, and also he isn't just a ninja, but also a pirate samurai

Oh, and he total bangs his prostitute friend, but they aren't exclusive

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Starting my Kvothe fanfic now

In my version, he is even handsomer and sexier, and better than ever with an electric guitar, and also he isn't just a ninja, but also a pirate samurai

Oh, and he total bangs his prostitute friend, but they aren't exclusive

How did you see the plot to book three?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

branedotorg posted:

How did you see the plot to book three?

Maybe book 3 will be another interlude, the part where he gets shipwrecked or whatever it's kind of vague in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It turns out that the shipwreck part is where he killed the king, who was actually an insane marooned sailor, and the cobblestones are actually pebbles on a beach in a literal square made of driftwood.