Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so is this just gonna be about seth rogen trying to gently caress theron

ugh, sounds like a 90s script was laying around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so is this just gonna be about seth rogen trying to gently caress theron

ugh, sounds like a 90s script was laying around

Theron's character is also the Secretary of State, I think.

Rogen is trying to gently caress Hillary Clinton is what I'm saying.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This summer, Seth Rogen is...THE INCEL

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CelticPredator posted:

The Deadpool’s, Logan and maaaaybe The Wolverine. At least until the last act where it goes super dumb.

Deadpool and Logan are so good that I don't put them in the same sphere.
Perhaps that's unfair.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Inzombiac posted:

Deadpool and Logan are so good that I don't put them in the same sphere.
Perhaps that's unfair.

It's not. They're equally good for different reasons and both are far above the standard fair of the origin franchise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Logan isn't that different, it's just sad. He even fights an evil clone of himself. But it's sad so you don't notice that that's just as silly as fighting a robot samurai

Like, it's way better than the other X-Men movies but it's still very much the same kind of movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gripweed posted:

Logan isn't that different, it's just sad. He even fights an evil clone of himself. But it's sad so you don't notice that that's just as silly as fighting a robot samurai

Like, it's way better than the other X-Men movies but it's still very much the same kind of movie.

Nah. It is way, way more character focused. Like it's silly in the way that comic books (thankfully) always are, but you can't seriously imply that Logan and X-Men: Apocalypse feature the same narrative character investment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Logan is proof that the silliness of a premise doesn't actually matter, as long as you execute it well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

I think the first X-Men film holds up very well, mostly because it still feels like a real movie as in it's not just about ping-ponging from set piece to set piece, and it's well shot. It has an actual look and a well thought out color palette and all those things that make a movie feel cinematic and not just people in cosplay outfits.

I'll go out on a limb and say the only reason Dark Phoenix looks actively bad is because Lawrence is blatantly not even trying and Sophie Turner is terrible. Apart from that I'd be willing to say it would be no worse than any other Extruded Superhero Product movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I really feel like they bungled this, but for a different reason. They set up the whole idea of X-Men existing in that world's pop culture, how that was the only context in which the Wolverine comic-style suit existed in, how it was all lies, and how the real Wolverine was far more damaged and traumatized than the wisecracking bub-slinging version in the in-world comics. They set it up so that his daughter idolized that version of her father, then only in time came to love and respect the real version.

So when the younger clone shows up, why not go full comic book and have him dressed in the Wolverine costume as a piece of propaganda to make him seem to the world and Logan's daughter that this is the more legitimate, fantasy version of the persona? You can even have the suit be dorky looking and impractical like it probably would regardless, especially when contrasted with the animalistic nature of the clone. Then his daughter can watch her fantasies about her Superhero Dad be dispelled before her eyes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So it's Blank Check.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't Bow Wow currently incarcerated for a bunch of poo poo?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't Bow Wow currently incarcerated for a bunch of poo poo?

The movie came out a decade ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

morestuff posted:

that doesnt explain why they used kai's powertools to make it, im pretty sure that was discontinued in the 90s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jedit posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say the only reason Dark Phoenix looks actively bad is because Lawrence is blatantly not even trying and Sophie Turner is terrible. Apart from that I'd be willing to say it would be no worse than any other Extruded Superhero Product movie.

I mean it looks bad because most modern X-men look weirdly cheap. I’m not sure how you can blame Turner for it looking bad by just being there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I should have realized that when I saw Charlie Murphy's name.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it looks bad because most modern X-men look weirdly cheap. I’m not sure how you can blame Turner for it looking bad by just being there.

That's what I was getting at yea. X-Men and X-Men 2 both have texture to them. Look at those scenes in the X-mansion in X-men 2, you hardly get anything like that in the more recent films, everything has a pretty artificial sheen to it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

That's what I was getting at yea. X-Men and X-Men 2 both have texture to them. Look at those scenes in the X-mansion in X-men 2, you hardly get anything like that in the more recent films, everything has a pretty artificial sheen to it.

I remember First Class looking pretty good. Better than “our budget is the woods” Last Stand and the latter-day gently caress you pay me Singer installments.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You might wanna look again, First Class looks insanely cheap and the effects are really, really bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah there were complaints even at the time that first class looked cheap. I think most people just assumed it was because they didn’t have faith it would do well since last stand did so much damage but nope turns out they all are gonna look like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stare-Out posted:

You might wanna look again, First Class looks insanely cheap and the effects are really, really bad.

The story and characters win out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s nice but that wasn’t what the convo was about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah there were complaints even at the time that first class looked cheap. I think most people just assumed it was because they didn’t have faith it would do well since last stand did so much damage but nope turns out they all are gonna look like that.

First Class had a bigger budget than X2. But then effects are shown off a lot more these days than X2's were, it's much easier to look cheap with big modern up-close CGI setpieces in every other scene if they don't stand up.

Although apparently X3 had a way bigger budget than either, hah, what a waste.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 1, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’ll cop to the fact that I haven’t seen First Class in years, but I didn’t remember it having the hyper green screen appearances of the later sequels. Like the stuff in London and the bar in Argentina at least looked like they were filmed on a physical set/location. I do remember the costumes looking iffy, but that bold blue/yellow combo didn’t help.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s nice but that wasn’t what the convo was about.

I'm altering the covo. Pray I do not alter it any further.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MikeJF posted:

First Class had a bigger budget than X2. But then effects are shown off a lot more these days than X2's were, it's much easier to look cheap with big modern CGI setpieces in every other scene if they don't stand up.

Well I mean budgets have been inflating for blockbusters for a while and I never said it was cheap it just looks cheap.

That X3 fact is baffling however.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Didn’t X3 have significant reshoots? I remember reading about it being a pretty troubled production.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First Class was infamously cheap-looking when it came out, yeah. Not as infamous as Wolverine of course. I remember Days Of Future Past looking better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

First Class had a bigger budget than X2. But then effects are shown off a lot more these days than X2's were, it's much easier to look cheap with big modern CGI setpieces in every other scene if they don't stand up.

Yea I mean it's not even about budget, it's about filmmaking. The X-mansion is an actual mansion(well not a mansion but an actual functional building) that looks amazing when you shoot there. The costumes, while controversial at the time, were designed perfectly to fit into a universe that needed to still have some feeling of reality to it. Beginning with Last Stand every location seemed to be a very obviously artificially constructed set and they started going even crazier with the looks of the characters to the point where nothing feels genuine anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

The story and characters win out.

I don't think it's a bad movie on its own but it looks terrible. I honestly don't remember all that many bad effects in X-Men 3 besides the de-aging at the beginning but I'm willing to forgive that since that tech was in its infancy at the time.

Fart City posted:

Didn’t X3 have significant reshoots? I remember reading about it being a pretty troubled production.

I'm sure it did, Brett Ratner isn't exactly a solid director and a total studio stooge. I don't want to come across as some ardent defender of X3 but I don't think it's as bad as people think. Certainly a disappointment coming off of X2 which is one of, if not the high point of the entire franchise and while X3 has a plethora of problems there's a lot of cool stuff in it, I think, and with some editing would've wound up being a fairly solid movie.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 1, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fart City posted:

Probably accounts for some of it, but at the time it was made X3 was the most expensive film ever made.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Chris James 2 posted:

In stuff that has me feeling the complete opposite

Took a lot for me to be uninterested in an R-rated Hellboy by "director of Dog Soldiers", especially with that cast, but I'm not feeling good about anything that's been shown

kinda amused that they're straight up reusing a tagline from the original Del Toro movie's marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9vtXbbhVs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ItsJaimeHere/status/1101239120507138048

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a great cover

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If they recall that art i'm gonna be real pissed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

K. Waste posted:

If they recall that art i'm gonna be real pissed.

At least we will never forget it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:golfclap: to you both

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe they'll tastefully change it to two giant Michael Keaton's squeezing a lone WTC Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fart City posted:

I believe it had the opposite issue where the production was incredibly rushed because they wanted it out in less than a year.