Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My friend just told me her husband's parents are "gifting" them the down payment for a house. She said they will be paying the mortgage and everything else.

"Your names will be on the title, right?"
"Oh, uh, no, it's going to be titled in their trust. But if they die it'll go to my husband."

Hopefully I've planted a seed of doubt in her mind about paying for a house that's not even in your name. But sheesh, even if the inlaws are perfectly well intentioned, what happens if my friend wants to get a divorce? She is totally hosed sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

My friend just told me her husband's parents are "gifting" them the down payment for a house. She said they will be paying the mortgage and everything else.

"Oh, uh, no, it's going to be titled in their trust. But if they die it'll go to my husband."

Hopefully I've planted a seed of doubt in her mind about paying for a house that's not even in your name. But sheesh, even if the inlaws are perfectly well intentioned, what happens if my friend wants to get a divorce? She is totally hosed sideways.

I'm pretty sure that's the intent. They've essentially assured their investment stays with the son.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the intent. They've essentially assured their investment stays with the son.

Good with money and good with matrimony.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There used to be a billboard on the highway near my old apartments that was advertising "fractional ownership opportunities"

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

100% to insure the house stays with the son. In most states a "spendthrift provision" to a trust will specifically protect it from being attached in a divorce, bankruptcy, or other type of situation, if it is an irrevocable trust (which it almost certainly is).

Says a lot about what the in-laws think of the wife today! Even better if the son colluded with them in the first place. If it is the kind of trust I suspect it is then his parents can't back out on him, he'll get it for sure when they pass. His wife, on the other hand, will indeed be hosed sideways.

Likely some form of rental agreement will come next, to further separate it, as well as provide a cleaner set of legal responsibilities as far as care, insurance, etc. (which is how the parents will explain it, prodded by their lawyer, I am sure).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Estate planning doesn't say anything about how much you like or trust someone.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If the wife isn't on title but is going to be paying the mortgage, it does.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It does when they do it this way. "Gifting" a down payment to buy a house for them but instead really buying it themselves (the parents), renting it to their son and daughter in law, then putting said house in a trust for the husband... is planning of a different sort, and depending on the situation might even be the smart move, but speaks volumes of their opinion of the wife. There's one reason to structure it this way and that is to make sure if they are divorced she doesn't get any of it. The trust could easily be in both their names. Or there are even simpler ways to do it if their real goal is to help the young couple buy a home. This way says "we don't trust her".

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If the parents just wanted the couple to have a down payment on the house they can just do that. It's not only cheaper to cut the couple a check since no trust documents are required but it greatly simplifies the mortgage situation. The bank will find it problematic (assuming anyone tells them) if people who aren't on the mortgage are responsible for making the actual payment. Also, if their state has a homestead exemption for property taxes then they'll likely be ineligible for that since a trust owns the property.

The only reason to go through all of the trouble and expense if the parents want to retain control of the property and exclude the wife.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ixian posted:

I am pretty sure there is also an Always Sunny episode where this happens, now that I think about it.

Edit: Yep, this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgLrLpSf1k

Dennis yelling at Frank in their next scene is one of my all time favorite lines on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlPsZmx8l0

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

moana posted:

Putting aside the obvious 'son, we want to help you but that whore you married will definitely cheat on you and you will have to divorce her' message they are sending.

Perhaps you could hightlight to your friend that she and her huband are not buying a house, they are agreeing to rent one. Her inlaws are buying an investment property and she is agreeing to be a tenant.

With several twists:

No tenancy agreement to protect them.
Yes, they will have statutory rights, but they will never be able to exercise them.
Any disputes with the landlord and they will have to bend over and aquiesce.
They will be responsible for maintanence and repairs.
They can never, ever leave or buy a place of their own.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Enchanted Hat posted:

It is so well established in pop culture that timeshares are a scam and a money pit, how are people still buying these? Are there still people buying literal snake oil to cure their illnesses?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I get the distinct impression that the people buying them are not, by and large, young enough to be attuned to pop culture.

I eagerly await "Millenials are killing the timeshare industry".

So, my day job is with a firm that has a partnership with a timeshare company. I do not work with them directly, but I do end up updated whenever they make major changes to their marketing preferences. Here are some of the things they have changed in the 3 years I've been at this company, and I think it will tell you plenty about both the management of said firm and their desired customer base:

- Openly gay couples can now be courted as prospects. Circa 2018.
- The minimum age for prospects is now 28. This has risen twice in three years.
- The most revised request is for minimum household income. For some reason people who do not make a lot* of money do not feel bad just ceasing to pay timeshare companies!
- Married couples are always accepted. Single women are always accepted. Single men are a hard no "due to moral reasons". Can't have someone at a timeshare hitting on people in other units, I guess? The only reason I know this one is because single women changed during my employment period from also being immoral to "all are welcome".
- Probably the most telling about the average age of their base and/or whoever makes decisions over there: They've begun asking if any data we send over can include emails as well as phone numbers. Starting this January.

If you've received a spam call of some sort about a vacation destination in the past so many years and fit the above, I possibly had a hand in it and I'm sorry. They spam me just as much as you.

* this one I'm not specifying solely because it could out the specific company, sorry - the most I'll say is "not six figure, but close"

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
BWM, BWL.

Missed court last month and received letters letting me know they issued a warrant. Internally kind of freaking out.

quote:

So in October of 2018, I went to court for a couple tickets I picked up in Missouri (live in Nebraska btw). Lawyer got the tickets downgraded to something that wouldn't show on my record. Agree at the courthouse to pay smaller payments over a 5 month period. I paid the November's payment on time, but due to horrible decision making I didn't pay December's, January's, or February's yet. March 26 is the final payment date. In my head, I didn't think it was a huge deal and I would just pay it in full before then. Apparently, it was, and I received letters earlier in the year telling me I was ordered to court on January 26 to answer for the missed payments. I didn't check my mail until tonight (again, horrible decision making) and I noticed they issued a warrant since I missed court. Just wondering what course of action I can take? Can I just pay the rest of the tickets in full and forget about it? Or am I in extra trouble for missing three payments?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

No tenancy agreement to protect them.
Yes, they will have statutory rights, but they will never be able to exercise them.
Any disputes with the landlord and they will have to bend over and aquiesce.
They will be responsible for maintanence and repairs.
They can never, ever leave or buy a place of their own.

Pretty much agree on every part except they could leave, the parents could rent to someone else and the son, at least, would still benefit depending on how the trust is structured. Obviously, that isn't what the parents intend, so there's also an emotional factor to consider... basically the whole thing sounds like a serious family drama shitshow waiting to explode.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they call them timeshares anymore? Disney calls their version a Vacation Club.

And it's real tough to beat those sales pitches even if they're calling it a lovely timeshare opportunity. If older people have learned their lessons they'll just prey on less experienced marks. My sister went in on a timeshare in her 20's with a cousin. I think he made one payment. She probably made 3. I have no idea what devastation that wrought upon their credit reports, but neither had any assets to go after.

Two friends of ours (young 30s?) got suckered by one of these. They were coming to DC and got a free night in the hotel in exchange for listening to the timeshare pitch. Before they went -- there's no way we'll agree, we'll just be there for the minimum time and then leave, etc etc.

Then they showed up to dinner about an hour late, and with news! They had bought in! You see, it's great because you get points that you can spend on any hotel and it's at a great conversion rate and all it really does it commit you to a lot of time at (Hilton?) hotels. Absurd amount of money up front and then some every year after.

I finally convinced them to google the program and look at reviews. All of which were horribly negative and said the salespeople lied. So they were able to cancel during their 5 day cancellation period at least...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you've received a spam call of some sort about a vacation destination in the past so many years and fit the above, I possibly had a hand in it and I'm sorry. They spam me just as much as you.

Let me guess, you aren't calling numbers on the federal do not call list because technically it's independent contractors doing the sales? Anything I could ask them to find out if its your company?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zauper posted:

Two friends of ours (young 30s?) got suckered by one of these. They were coming to DC and got a free night in the hotel in exchange for listening to the timeshare pitch. Before they went -- there's no way we'll agree, we'll just be there for the minimum time and then leave, etc etc.

Then they showed up to dinner about an hour late, and with news! They had bought in! You see, it's great because you get points that you can spend on any hotel and it's at a great conversion rate and all it really does it commit you to a lot of time at (Hilton?) hotels. Absurd amount of money up front and then some every year after.

I finally convinced them to google the program and look at reviews. All of which were horribly negative and said the salespeople lied. So they were able to cancel during their 5 day cancellation period at least...

People going to timeshare seminars believing they’re too smart to sign a contract is like doctors thinking they can fly small planes. There’s a dangerous disconnect to thinking you’re smart enough to avoid the risks.

The whole sales process is designed to convince people who had no plan to sign a contract to sign that contract.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I feel like the hours I would spend at the seminar basically negate any benefit from whatever free hotel stay I might get. Maybe when I was younger and didn't have kids and made less money it would have been worth it, but now even if I don't buy anything I'll still feel ripped off after spending several hours listening to a sales pitch.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I wouldn't want to go to one of those presentations because, as has been said, a lot of people who think they're too smart to fall for it do fall for it. But I'd be really interested in seeing a recording of an actual successful session. There's got to be some bizarre moon maths involved to make a timeshare seem like a good idea, probably along with some unpleasant pressure tactics.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't understand how people go in knowing it's a scam and then still fall for it. Do they just forget in the middle of the presentation that they're being scammed?? Of course it's going to look like a deal! It's a scam! You know this!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never really understood what a timeshare is or why they are a scam but at least I’m wise enough to know that“free x subject to y!” is never a good start to anything

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

I wouldn't want to go to one of those presentations because, as has been said, a lot of people who think they're too smart to fall for it do fall for it. But I'd be really interested in seeing a recording of an actual successful session. There's got to be some bizarre moon maths involved to make a timeshare seem like a good idea, probably along with some unpleasant pressure tactics.
I did go to one about 6 years ago with full intent to poke holes in it. It was extremely easy to poke holes in. I carry a moleskin around with me and I still have somewhere that notebook with a couple of pages of bullet points I took for each step. (E.g. the example suite they showed you could stay in didn't match the layout diagram they showed right next to it, values were obfuscated behind conversion rates, specific wording that suggests one thing but really means another). The woman who sat down with my then girlfriend and myself to make the sale told us she thought the whole thing was so amazing that she drove down from Wisconsin 4 hours total each day to come do this job. I said that was kind of unfortunate and she didn't exactly know how to respond.

One of the tricks they use is to tell you they're having a raffle and if you bring in a check or a credit card that ends with the pair of digits (I think it was a pair) then you win whatever the prize is. I wrote a program the night before that used the bog standard credit card validation algorithm so I could put in the digits and validate whether or not there was ever a valid outcome from this raffle. I remember that the pair they gave was legit, but I doubt they were using a validator to make sure that was the case. I honestly expected them to only ever choose a pair of numbers that couldn't be valid, but I suppose part of the tactic is that somebody has to win every so often to sell the fantasy. I don't think I need to explain why - from a psychological standpoint - they wanted you to bring in a credit card/personal check to have at the ready.

We walked out of there after about an hour and a half with our voucher for free tickets to some destination. I immediately read the fine print and some googling and found that the "free voucher" could only be redeemed for something like $120 worth of processing fees. We passed on using it.

In short, it's not even worthwhile or entertaining to go there with intent to find flaws in it. It's really, truly, incredibly, nakedly, obviously a waste of time and money. The whole thing works on a specific set of people with specific characteristics and whoever said before that making 1 or 2 sales out of 50 is enough is most definitely accurate.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 4, 2019

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

It's not really a scam, it's just a terribly bad deal, in the same way as a 20% auto loan. You buy the right to live in a property for X weeks per year in exchange for cash up front and an obligation to pay part of the running costs, but when you realise that you're paying way more than what that right is worth to you, it's impossible to get rid of the timeshare and the payment obligation.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a case where time shares ever make sense?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

It's not really a scam, it's just a terribly bad deal, in the same way as a 20% auto loan. You buy the right to live in a property for X weeks per year in exchange for cash up front and an obligation to pay part of the running costs, but when you realise that you're paying way more than what that right is worth to you, it's impossible to get rid of the timeshare and the payment obligation.
The whole process is basically designed to extremely downplay the disadvantages and extremely upsell the "advantages." AKA: doing sales to it.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

In a potentially razor thin scenario where you only ever go to one location for vacation twice a year for your entire life, and so will your kids, and so will their kids.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What did you do

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are Timeshare Sales Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Don't Buy The Timeshare Like Nigga Close Your Wallet Haha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Enchanted Hat posted:

What did you do

Definitely not buy a timeshare.

It just seems like a certain amount of people must get value out of timeshares since they are still around, particularly when it seems like everyone equates timeshare with bad

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It just seems like a certain amount of people must get value out of timeshares since they are still around, particularly when it seems like everyone equates timeshare with bad
Yes, the people who get value out of them are the people selling them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We stayed at a ranch resort this past weekend. Couple hundred cottages that all looked the same and had Brasada Cottage unit 1, Brasada Cottage unit 2 etc, but they also had actual street addresses and small locked "owner's closets" off the main room.

Is "owning an individual hotel room" a hot new form of real estate shenanigans? Is this literally what a time share is? I couldn't help but think how nice it would be to have a vacation getaway that also nets a little profit each year, but I'm sure it gets utterly decimated my management fees and the like.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Homeopathic remedies must have some medical benefits, otherwise why would people still be selling them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s a highish-end Toronto hotel that works that way since about 2009, but I don’t know how well it performs financially for the unit owners. Probably better than “buy a condo that is empty 90% of the time”, at least.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

See: whole life insurance
See: Verizon phone insurance
See: car dealer paint “protection” plans or anything with Ziebart
See: MLMs, crystals, essential oils, homeopathy/quack chiropractors

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
My grandparents had multiple timeshares. When my grandpa passed away last year, my parents inherited this wonderful bounty.

They insist they are able to sell enough points to cover the monthly costs and still get a few weeks out of it every year. My parents are generally pretty good with money so this has left me :confused:

I've gotten a couple of free stays out of it though so I'm not pressing too hard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brugroffil posted:

My grandparents had multiple timeshares. When my grandpa passed away last year, my parents inherited this wonderful bounty.

They insist they are able to sell enough points to cover the monthly costs and still get a few weeks out of it every year. My parents are generally pretty good with money so this has left me :confused:

I've gotten a couple of free stays out of it though so I'm not pressing too hard.

basically your parents have graduated from being scammed, to scamming others, congrats

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Hoodwinker posted:

from Wisconsin

Say no more

BMan posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are Timeshare Sales Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Don't Buy The Timeshare Like Nigga Close Your Wallet Haha

Definitely say no more

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Three words: time share horse

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do time share presentations use ringers at all? I got roped into a “job interview” that turned into a MLM presentation to sell water purifiers and it was obvious several audience members were in on it. They’d ohhh and ahhh, get unreasonably excited about this terrific opportunity, and ask leading questions at just the right intervals.

If I was running a time share presentation I’d pick an area with really lovely wireless internet. I have to imagine these work best on cruise ships or resorts where your coverage is limited and you lack the ability to quickly fact check.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

If I was running a time share presentation I’d pick an area with really lovely wireless internet. I have to imagine these work best on cruise ships or resorts where your coverage is limited and you lack the ability to quickly fact check.

Your target market would never even think to do fact checking, I think.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Leperflesh posted:

basically your parents have graduated from being scammed, to scamming others, congrats

hell yeah Boomer Final Form achieved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Murderball posted:

Three words: time share horse

These actually exist. One of my friends has one and not only does she get to pay for part of a horse, she gets to volunteer at help out at the stable to save more money.

I guess it could be gwm overall because it's a lot cheaper then owning an entire horse and paying the upkeep yourself. :horse: