Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I think you could "Time Share except for (insert unnecessary luxury item)" for days. For instance, private jets:

https://www.costco.com/Wheels-Up-Private-Aviation-Membership-%2526-%243%2C500-Costco-Cash-Card-eVoucher.product.100214128.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, Netjets is basically an airplane timeshare. This looks like a private jet subscription service since you're not buying a plane even in part, but it's probably about the same price. At least you'd not need to find someone to buy a quarter interest in a Learjet once you're sick of it.

Out of morbid curiosity, what's the price on that? Don't have a Costco membership.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Looks like 17500 - 3500costco credit.

+8k/year

Then 8k/hour on citation, 4.6k/hour on a smaller jet.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation/1843989-wheels-up-through-costco.html

quote:

If i used wheels up on these three trips, I would have paid
18,302 MORE for my FLORIDA-NEW YORK-FLORIDA
22,454 MORE for my NEW YORK-SAN FRAN
5,220 MORE for my DC-MARTHA VINEYARD-DC
[more versus a typical broker]

$45,976 more to use wheels up! + $17,500 to join...

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, Netjets is basically an airplane timeshare. This looks like a private jet subscription service since you're not buying a plane even in part, but it's probably about the same price. At least you'd not need to find someone to buy a quarter interest in a Learjet once you're sick of it.

Out of morbid curiosity, what's the price on that? Don't have a Costco membership.

Google says $16k.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there a case where time shares ever make sense?

Not on a retail level, but I remember reading about one company that bought timeshares from people who just wanted to get out from under the payments. The terms of the "buyout" were usually something like "one dollar plus assumption of ongoing costs". They then aggregated a bunch of these, negotiated better terms with the properties where they could, and rented them back out as vacation packages at discount to hotel rack rate.

Basically, it can work great if you're a vulture capitalist.

e: Incoming Tree Law story

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wisconsin. Lumber company came across property line and cut down ~30 mature oaks.

My family has owned ~200 acres in western wisconsin for the last 90 something years. Some time in the 50's a relative of mine sold 22 acres to the dnr when they were down on hard times.

This property is bordered between us and the road. Until 2 years ago it remained with the dnr who then decided to sell it to the county/city.

The county/city then decided to harvest all of the oaks and pines as a fund raising effort as they do every decade or so.

I should point out that about a month prior to the dnr selling the property to the county/city we had our whole parcel professionally surveyed, I'm pretty sure that was one of the reasons the dnr finally sold it off.

The entire property line has metal stakes 5 feet above the ground every 20 feet or so. They are spray painted bright red and we touch them up every year as well as spray the trees pink around eye level.

There a render no tresspassing signs every 50 feet along the road but none inside the hardwood forrest along the property line since you can't really acess it without going past the no tresspassing signs because of the terrain.

The lumber company came through a year ago and marked the property line in blue for their own purposes as well.

Either way it being winter in wisconsin you'd have to be colorblind not to see the property line and when the lumber company marked it themselves you'd think they know where it was as well.

I got a call earlier today from a relative who lives down there saying they had clear cut to our property line and beyond, he sent a few pictures and I asked him to count the number of trees.

I'm headed there tomorrow to take my own pictures and start documentation however I really don't know where to start this whole process so I'm looking for some advice about where to begin here.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2019

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

H110Hawk posted:

Let me guess, you aren't calling numbers on the federal do not call list because technically it's independent contractors doing the sales? Anything I could ask them to find out if its your company?

Mostly the tell for our partner would be where the properties are at. As for the DNC issue: we don't actually do any of the calls, we're a marketing firm that gathers leads and other consumer data legally* and just middlemans it out to anyone who wants to pay for it sorted into convenient fashion.

* Facebook sells us your poo poo, alongside what we gather from sweepstakes, raffles, etc which you all opt-in on giving your data to the firm if you read the fine print, and occasionally other edge case poo poo that legal makes sure to check out before accepting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There's a row of Maclura pomifera (hedge apple/Osage orange) trees along the edge of my yard that borders a forest preserve. I'm paranoid about touching any of them because they weave back and forth across the lot line and Tree Law seems to get extremely expensive very quickly.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How many tree law posts are fake?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lowness 72 posted:

How many tree law posts are fake?

Fake tree law posts are...neutral with money?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tree law is all bark, no bite

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tree law is all bark, no bite

Wood you cut that out?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hopefully it's not too much of a self-post, but my in-laws actually own a timeshare. It only got that way after the grandparents left it to their several children, who then formed a corporation to deal with it. The big drama is just over people using other people's condiments and not buying TP for the cabin; several partners have sold their shares back to the corp when money was tight and bought them back later. Because the property has a large land parcel, they allow hunters to use it in the winter and make some money by logging as well. It's probably the only example I can imagine of a timeshare not being a horrible burden, but it requires regular maintenance and coordination with the family, so there's not a snowball's chance in hell we'll take a portion when his folks go. Hopefully we can get them to just will it directly to hubby's bros.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ixian posted:

Or there are even simpler ways to do it if their real goal is to help the young couple buy a home. This way says "we don't trust her".
Okay, so what would be the optimal way for the inlaws to gift them a down payment without taking on too much risk of their own? Because obviously their end is: if we give them a check for $200k and then she splits the day after they close, she'll be taking half of it (I'm pretty sure - California is a community property state). The trust protects them from that. Is there another option that would protect them from that risk and also put her on the title? I'm looking for an alternative I can offer without talking too much poo poo on her inlaws.

I've also considered going to her husband to talk with him about it because he's really the person who would have to tell his parents nope on the trust idea. Apparently they've done it before with their other kid. Or I should probably just stay out of the whole mess altogether - her family is pretty well off anyway so I doubt she would ever be turbo hosed even if she lost her house that was never her house to begin with. But dang, you know, she's my friend and I really want her to not put herself in this position.

Also all tree law posts are fake and there's so many of them now that it's boring af.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

Or I should probably just stay out of the whole mess altogether

It's this one.

The parents intend to be protective and controlling and this is their method for doing so. They could potentially be convinced to half-rear end this with a prenup, but that's unlikely to meet all of their criteria. The correct answer is likely more like "tell them no thank you if you don't want them constantly up in your and your new husband's poo poo", but that is also unlikely to work.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

moana posted:

Okay, so what would be the optimal way for the inlaws to gift them a down payment without taking on too much risk of their own? Because obviously their end is: if we give them a check for $200k and then she splits the day after they close, she'll be taking half of it (I'm pretty sure - California is a community property state). The trust protects them from that. Is there another option that would protect them from that risk and also put her on the title? I'm looking for an alternative I can offer without talking too much poo poo on her inlaws.

I've also considered going to her husband to talk with him about it because he's really the person who would have to tell his parents nope on the trust idea. Apparently they've done it before with their other kid. Or I should probably just stay out of the whole mess altogether - her family is pretty well off anyway so I doubt she would ever be turbo hosed even if she lost her house that was never her house to begin with. But dang, you know, she's my friend and I really want her to not put herself in this position.

Also all tree law posts are fake and there's so many of them now that it's boring af.

Is your question "how can I help with the downpayment if I don't trust that hussy to not run off with all the money before the ink is even dry - in a way that doesn't look like I don't trust her"?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

OGS-Remix posted:

These actually exist. One of my friends has one and not only does she get to pay for part of a horse, she gets to volunteer at help out at the stable to save more money.

I guess it could be gwm overall because it's a lot cheaper then owning an entire horse and paying the upkeep yourself. :horse:

But think of all that sweet fractional horse-equity she's building up!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Enchanted Hat posted:

Is your question "how can I help with the downpayment if I don't trust that hussy to not run off with all the money before the ink is even dry - in a way that doesn't look like I don't trust her"?
Well I wanted something where I could be like: "Oh, why don't they just [insert option that isn't going to gently caress her over 20 years from now if they divorce]" but it doesn't seem like there's anything that easy. At least I asked her if she was going to be on the title, maybe that'll get her reconsidering :smith:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That'll be an uncomfortable conversation because she'll be on the defensive and assume you're suggesting they may divorce one day.

The trick to dealing with controlling parents is to only accept literal cash, or accept that you're being bought off. Sometimes that's not the worst. I remember BWM Thread was mad at a reddit girl who wouldn't accept her parents' deal to dump her boyfriend in exchange for free college! If this couple doesn't divorce, they got a free house down payment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

e: Incoming Tree Law story

This probably isn't one of those super happy tree law stories. This is just land out in the wilderness. The mature oaks have value as lumber, but it's not the same thing as a tree in your yard. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, is it really treble damages?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think this guy should be probed for saying "super happy" instead of "sappy"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I remember BWM Thread was mad at a reddit girl who wouldn't accept her parents' deal to dump her boyfriend in exchange for free college! If this couple doesn't divorce, they got a free house down payment.

Can't wait to be this dad some day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

Okay, so what would be the optimal way for the inlaws to gift them a down payment without taking on too much risk of their own?

Stop using the word Gift. It's not one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, is it really treble damages?

What are you bassing that on?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

moana posted:

Well I wanted something where I could be like: "Oh, why don't they just [insert option that isn't going to gently caress her over 20 years from now if they divorce]" but it doesn't seem like there's anything that easy. At least I asked her if she was going to be on the title, maybe that'll get her reconsidering :smith:
I'm actually in this situation right now, where my partner is getting a large gift from her parents to be invested in property. Our solution was a post-nup that essentially said the first $X in equity from the sale of the property is treated like an inheritance or pre-marital asset. Obviously investing it in jointly-owned property comingles it, but a contract would supercede that. And yes, I ran it all by my attorney before signing.

It had nothing to do with trust or risk or divorce. Their family just very much wants their family money to stay in the family. I also want to say that their family would never propose the ludicrous trust thing your friend's in-laws proposed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

What are you bassing that on?

A mature tree in my yard may have sentimental value beyond its monetary price. 30 trees on 200 acres of woodland, while valuable, isn’t quite the same thing. Or maybe it is. Treble damages on 30 trees would be a nice chunk of change. Heck, face value on 30 trees is probably tens of thousands of dollars.

The lumber company will claim it was a honest mistake and without clear intent the court may just award actual damages. The real good tree law stories generally include obvious malicious intent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My inlaws have a timeshare. It's dumb.

You can spend your points anywhere!*

Depending on availability. The property also just rents rooms like a regular hotel to non-"owners". They were trying to arrange a weekend at the time share (minimum 3 day stay, mind you), and there wasn't a room available. But lo and behold, you could just go to expedia or the property's own website and book a room at the same property for those same days. They set aside a certain number of rooms to be rented out as regular hotel rooms, because the "owners" are dopes who already gave them their money so they don't care at all about making rooms available to them.

We've stayed at two of their timeshare rooms before, and they were not impressive. The one in Park City, UT was probably the shabbiest hotel room in Park City. They paid like $15k for the privilege of booking there, plus an annual maintenance fee (which isn't too far from the regular market rate of just getting a hotel for a week and a half).

The other terrible part? They sell it all on "vacation freedom!" but the reality is that it's very restrictive. They had planned a trip to the SF Bay area because their son was doing a triathlon in San Francisco. The only timeshare property available (several months in advance) was wayyyyy out in somewhere like Modesto, a solid 90+ minutes away by car depending on traffic (and I pity the tourist who has to drive and park a car in San Francisco). Same thing when they had planned a trip to be in downtown San Diego, and the nearest property was in Oceanside. Hope you don't mind Marine base traffic!

Timeshares are the "no refunds, exchange or store credit only" of vacations. A "buy 20, get the 21st free" loyalty card. A "Discount Tire store credit" account. The "coupon has cash value of 1/20th of a cent"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Krispy Wafer posted:

A mature tree in my yard may have sentimental value beyond its monetary price. 30 trees on 200 acres of woodland, while valuable, isn’t quite the same thing. Or maybe it is. Treble damages on 30 trees would be a nice chunk of change. Heck, face value on 30 trees is probably tens of thousands of dollars.

The lumber company will claim it was a honest mistake and without clear intent the court may just award actual damages. The real good tree law stories generally include obvious malicious intent.
That was another tree pun and not a real question.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Talk about missing the forest for the tr-

[Giant shepherd's crook appears from off stage and breaks my neck, killing me instantly]

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I once agreed to this as Hilton Vacations offered me a free two nights at the new Elara property and a show. I told them I wanted Cirque tickets and they said something about Beatles and I sighed and said I guess it was fine.

I then got two tickets via email to a Beatles cover band. They were nice enough to immediately cancel.

They still endlessly call me from tricky phone numbers. I always know it’s them if it’s a phone call from my old area code that I don’t recognize.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

moana posted:

Okay, so what would be the optimal way for the inlaws to gift them a down payment without taking on too much risk of their own?

H110Hawk posted:

Stop using the word Gift. It's not one.

Yes, thank you! Of its a gift there's no risk to manage. Just give them the money. You don't get a return on a gift other than satisfaction.

As said above the parents are trying to exercise control over their son and his marriage to your friend.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Well you stumped me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

It was actually a music pun :colbert:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

I'm actually in this situation right now, where my partner is getting a large gift from her parents to be invested in property. Our solution was a post-nup that essentially said the first $X in equity from the sale of the property is treated like an inheritance or pre-marital asset. Obviously investing it in jointly-owned property comingles it, but a contract would supercede that. And yes, I ran it all by my attorney before signing.

It had nothing to do with trust or risk or divorce. Their family just very much wants their family money to stay in the family. I also want to say that their family would never propose the ludicrous trust thing your friend's in-laws proposed.

Just like the other scenario, this is not a gift. Like, when you give someone something, it isn't yours anymore, so you don't get to say what's done with it or contribute to benefit from it. Your partner's folks are proposing joint ownership in what sounds like a fair way so their daughter can benefit from their fortune but not own it herself.

The other scenario is just completely beyond the pale. It's pretty common for parents to put strings on 'gifts' like that because it's the only way they can still control their adult children, but expecting them to pay the mortgage as a married couple while she retains 0 equity (assuming they can even get a mortgage for a property not titled to them and their paying it doesn't commingle that asset) is a huge crock of poo poo. Not only should she turn down this "offer," she ought to seriously reconsider being married to this guy if he entertained that bullshit for a second. Hostile in-laws can make your life bad enough, but if your spouse is in on it, why be married? There's clearly no money in it and I refuse to believe he's got the kind of dick game to justify it, so what's the point?

I'm completely onboard with pre-nups; I think it's fair that people can retain pre-marital assets if they choose. But if you're going to such lengths to keep assets acquired during the marriage separate, why bother getting legally married? It's 2019, cohabitation isn't just for white trash anymore.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

canyoneer posted:

Timeshares are the "no refunds, exchange or store credit only" of vacations. A "buy 20, get the 21st free" loyalty card. A "Discount Tire store credit" account. The "coupon has cash value of 1/20th of a cent"
This is beautiful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Parents do this dumb poo poo because they think literally no human on the planet is worthy of their child and so they've got to Protect The Assets from the inevitable divorce

(if your parents are 100% on board with your spouse, it's because they don't think very highly of you)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Just like the other scenario, this is not a gift. Like, when you give someone something, it isn't yours anymore, so you don't get to say what's done with it or contribute to benefit from it. Your partner's folks are proposing joint ownership in what sounds like a fair way so their daughter can benefit from their fortune but not own it herself.

The other scenario is just completely beyond the pale. It's pretty common for parents to put strings on 'gifts' like that because it's the only way they can still control their adult children, but expecting them to pay the mortgage as a married couple while she retains 0 equity (assuming they can even get a mortgage for a property not titled to them and their paying it doesn't commingle that asset) is a huge crock of poo poo. Not only should she turn down this "offer," she ought to seriously reconsider being married to this guy if he entertained that bullshit for a second. Hostile in-laws can make your life bad enough, but if your spouse is in on it, why be married? There's clearly no money in it and I refuse to believe he's got the kind of dick game to justify it, so what's the point?

I'm completely onboard with pre-nups; I think it's fair that people can retain pre-marital assets if they choose. But if you're going to such lengths to keep assets acquired during the marriage separate, why bother getting legally married? It's 2019, cohabitation isn't just for white trash anymore.
To be fair, it's entirely possible the spouse is just financially ignorant, and not in on it, and their parents did not express their desire to shelter their precious assets from the gold-digging hussy he brought home (their feelings, not mine).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do time share presentations use ringers at all? I got roped into a “job interview” that turned into a MLM presentation to sell water purifiers and it was obvious several audience members were in on it. They’d ohhh and ahhh, get unreasonably excited about this terrific opportunity, and ask leading questions at just the right intervals.

If I was running a time share presentation I’d pick an area with really lovely wireless internet. I have to imagine these work best on cruise ships or resorts where your coverage is limited and you lack the ability to quickly fact check.

Faraday cage around the presentation room.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

That's pretty lovely, too, honestly. "Here's this property that you're going to be responsible for maintaining, but we don't want to let you have a piece of it because you're not really family, nevermind the whole marriage thing."

But you do you, I suppose.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

That's pretty lovely, too, honestly. "Here's this property that you're going to be responsible for maintaining, but we don't want to let you have a piece of it because you're not really family, nevermind the whole marriage thing."

But you do you, I suppose.
It's really no different than an inheritance, which isn't traditionally marital property unless co-mingled.

BonerGhost posted:

It is a gift from my partner's parents to my partner. They retain zero ownership of the house. It's almost exactly like if my partner's parents had given them the money before we got married.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's also his til death do they part unless they divorce, so he's been deemed family til he's not family.

Far less warm and fuzzy than a wedding gift of $100's in a burlap sack, but it doesn't strike me as an insult to our good goon Dik Hz