Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Krispy Wafer posted:

Well you stumped me.
Damnit. Was your sincere answer just a set-up for another tree pun? If so, you got me. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

It was actually a music pun :colbert:

I thought it was either a basswood pun or a fishing one :eng99:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It was both a music and a vegetation pun! Can't you reed!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DarkHorse posted:

I thought it was either a basswood pun or a fishing one :eng99:

Whoa. I wish I could claim to be that clever, but I've never heard of basswood until now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dik Hz posted:

It's really no different than an inheritance, which isn't traditionally marital property unless co-mingled.

It is a gift from my partner's parents to my partner. They retain zero ownership of the house. It's almost exactly like if my partner's parents had given them the money before we got married.

It's just odd. Marriage is a partnership and now one of the partners has a controlling financial interest in the house. It's likely that none of it matters and you'll stay together forever and it'll never come up. In some relationships though people exercise that power when it comes to decisions about the home, and it takes away the equality.

I think your partner will always has a small incentive to divorce, and you have a small one to stay together. I don't think it's large enough to be a deciding factor but it tips the scale. If assets are shared equally then you both have the same disincentive.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Comment from https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/ak2pru/so_is_spending_outside_of_budget_and_im_not/:

quote:

I had to go with separate accounts from my wife after only a few years of marriage. She was spending money because she saw it was "in the account," but it was already spoken for. (Think having $2000 in the account on the 25th of the month, her spending $500 of it, and not having the $1700 for the rent that's due on the 1st. That kind of thing.)

Separating the accounts literally saved our marriage. Before we did it, I would be checking the accounts multiple times a day because of the anxiety of overdrawing the account due to our differing interpretations of "available" money. I tried a few different ways of getting us on the same page regarding money that was actually available, but it wasn't working. It wasn't quite the same as your case, as there wasn't any lying or stretching of the truth, but I think the solution is the same.

To this day, we maintain separate accounts. I make more money and often move money to her, but it's always discussed beforehand so there are no surprise low balances.

It's worked very well for us.

That's cool that they figured out a solution that worked, but holy poo poo I cannot imagine marrying someone with so little budgeting capacity and willpower.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/aucut3/25m_with_25f_3_years_my_girlfriend_is_very_good/:

quote:

This is her budget for an average month. It doesn't include things like the holiday season or spontaneous vacations so some months it's even more.

Rent: 550 (her half, we share an apt)

Bills (internet, utilities): 200 (her half, we split these)

Student loans: 100

Phone: 60

Car payment and gas: 300

Groceries: 200 (just hers, we shop separately)

Eating out: 400

Bars and alcohol: at least 900

Uber: 250, give or take

Toiletries, personal items, etc: 50-100

She makes about $1,700 a month. So as you can see she's over that by the end of the month. She puts the rest on credit cards. I don't know exactly how much debt she has, but it worries me.

She could technically not pay back student loans right now due to her small income (the income-based repayment plan). But she chose to make a modest payment anyway because she thought it was the responsible thing to do. I think that's a good attitude, but she doesn't seem to feel the same way about her credit card debt. To her, credit cards are extra spending money.

Lastly, I think she needs a better paying job. She agrees but drags her feet to find one. One time she said it isn't an issue since she's making do with what she has.

Our finances aren't combined as we're not married. Her management of money is something I'm growing increasingly worried about. I'm trying to help her budget, which is hard because she usually shoots down my suggestions, or has some reason why they wouldn't work.

I just think she should be able to either spend less or get a better job. Is that unreasonable? How do I get her to understand that?

TL;DR: My girlfriend puts too many expenses on credit cards and doesn't put much effort into finding a job that pays better.

GWM budgeting bar expenses
BWM budgeting more for bar expenses than rent per month

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 5, 2019

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

StormDrain posted:

It's just odd. Marriage is a partnership and now one of the partners has a controlling financial interest in the house. It's likely that none of it matters and you'll stay together forever and it'll never come up. In some relationships though people exercise that power when it comes to decisions about the home, and it takes away the equality.

I think your partner will always has a small incentive to divorce, and you have a small one to stay together. I don't think it's large enough to be a deciding factor but it tips the scale. If assets are shared equally then you both have the same disincentive.
Why would you assume they have a controlling financial interest?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CmdrRiker posted:

Comment from https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/ak2pru/so_is_spending_outside_of_budget_and_im_not/:

That's cool that they figured out a solution that worked, but holy poo poo I cannot imagine marrying someone with so little budgeting capacity and willpower.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/aucut3/25m_with_25f_3_years_my_girlfriend_is_very_good/:

GWM budgeting bar expenses
BWM budgeting more for bar expenses than rent per month

At first, I was like "wow, how are they spending $400 a month on utilities in an $1100 a month apartment," and then I got to the eating out/bar tab/Uber bill...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dik Hz posted:

Why would you assume they have a controlling financial interest?

Forget it. You seem OK with the deal, it'll be fine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Thanatosian posted:

At first, I was like "wow, how are they spending $400 a month on utilities in an $1100 a month apartment," and then I got to the eating out/bar tab/Uber bill...

Not that hard if it includes cell service, TV, and internet. Not technically utilities but most people I've talked to group them together.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you have a $900/mo bar expense, $250/mo for Uber is probably GWM.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
From what I've heard from women being at bars, it's actually pretty hard to spend your own money on drinks. Spending $900 on drinks at a bar in a month as a guy sounds bwm, but spending $900 at a bar in a month as a woman sounds impossible.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you spend 900/month at bars, what are you drinking? 45 bespoke hipster cocktails or 200 cheap beers?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Not that hard if it includes cell service, TV, and internet. Not technically utilities but most people I've talked to group them together.

"Phone" is listed under a separate line item.

SpartanIvy posted:

From what I've heard from women being at bars, it's actually pretty hard to spend your own money on drinks. Spending $900 on drinks at a bar in a month as a guy sounds bwm, but spending $900 at a bar in a month as a woman sounds impossible.

Given that she's in a presumably-monogamous relationship, maybe BWM, but probably... I mean, I don't want to say Good With Life... Better Than The Alternative With Life? BTTAWL? Assuming that "the alternative" is letting random strangers buy her drinks all night, and not just "spend less time and money at bars."

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axolotl farmer posted:

If you spend 900/month at bars, what are you drinking? 45 bespoke hipster cocktails or 200 cheap beers?

Attempting to use hipster in this context as some easily understandable descriptor notwithstanding, you and I have wildly different interpretations of cheap beer.

A developing story in which a redditor may have inadvertently saved themselves from an unknown future scam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/axip65/i_closed_off_an_account_from_a_relative_and_my/

quote:

Without giving too much information out I recently got a new credit card with a Bank. So I went to the bank to figure out how to set an account up. While doing this I found out I already had my name in an account with an Aunt. I thought weird. In the account I had complete access to her checkings and savings which was A LOT of money. So I called her asking why this is the case. She tells me I can just remove her account info from mine. And so I did. FYI I am also a college student so I end up making an account with them (free account if I am a student).

So here's the loving up part where I'm confused. I come home (I live with my parents) and I tell them my day. My dad then gets mad. He said he asked my aunt to put my name in her account for "tax support". I have no idea what that means. I tried to look it up but it doesn't make sense to me. He says "now you lost any benefit that you can get with her account" like was I supposed to steal her money? What does tax support mean?

This is my first credit card and I THOUGHT I did everything right. Turns out no.

Any advice would be helpful. I can also answer questions

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Barry posted:

Attempting to use hipster in this context as some easily understandable descriptor notwithstanding, you and I have wildly different interpretations of cheap beer.

A developing story in which a redditor may have inadvertently saved themselves from an unknown future scam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/axip65/i_closed_off_an_account_from_a_relative_and_my/

I don't get it either.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sounds like stupid people who heard of adding a secondary user to a credit account to boost their credit score, but mistakenly tried to do it with a non-reporting checking/savings account.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I don't know if someone was trying a scam on me, but yesterday I got a random text from a Dallas area number (I live in Austin with an Austin area code, not that it means much these days), saying "Hi Jesse, this is Maria. Sorry for the random text! Your property at ### X St - Wanted to see if you would consider an offer on it?"

This address was also Dallas-area. I said they must have a wrong number, and today for this reply: "I apologize about that. You wouldn't happen to have a property you would consider an offer on?"

Is this a I BOUGHT EVERY HOUSE I'VE EVER SEEN thing, a scam opening like "real estate mentor seeks trainee" signs, or amateur real estate investors looking to hustle and grind? Either way I've decided not to respond to the follow-up text, as tempted as I am to blatantly say I'll grudgingly accept twice the market rate of my current house in Austin.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't know if someone was trying a scam on me, but yesterday I got a random text from a Dallas area number (I live in Austin with an Austin area code, not that it means much these days), saying "Hi Jesse, this is Maria. Sorry for the random text! Your property at ### X St - Wanted to see if you would consider an offer on it?"

This address was also Dallas-area. I said they must have a wrong number, and today for this reply: "I apologize about that. You wouldn't happen to have a property you would consider an offer on?"

Is this a I BOUGHT EVERY HOUSE I'VE EVER SEEN thing, a scam opening like "real estate mentor seeks trainee" signs, or amateur real estate investors looking to hustle and grind? Either way I've decided not to respond to the follow-up text, as tempted as I am to blatantly say I'll grudgingly accept twice the market rate of my current house in Austin.
Every so often I get voicemails from somebody saying they're driving by my house in <village where I grew up> and understand it's for sale and want to buy it. I grew up in the house, but I never owned it.

Also, my parents sold it over a year ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They’re just cold calling random people in hopes someone with equity is desperate to sell their house quickly for 20% below market value.

Pro tip, if you’re ever the executor of an estate, put a burner phone number down on your probate applications unless you enjoy being called by every drat realtor in the area.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't get it either.

Well, if the aunt died wouldn't the money in the joint account skip probate? That's the only tax thing I can think of.

Dad was definitely going to murder that aunt.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Square Peg posted:

Well, if the aunt died wouldn't the money in the joint account skip probate? That's the only tax thing I can think of.

Dad was definitely going to murder that aunt.
Yes. If the executor is a family member or a trusted individual, they can simply be put on the account as a joint accountholder and bypass the need to handle all the death certificate stuff to empty the account out.

The dad definitely wanted to do something like this but with avaricious intent.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

It's really no different than an inheritance, which isn't traditionally marital property unless co-mingled.

It is a gift from my partner's parents to my partner. They retain zero ownership of the house. It's almost exactly like if my partner's parents had given them the money before we got married.

Ah, I misunderstood. I was thinking the parents retained the equity you mentioned, not your partner.

E: holy poo poo there's another page

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
The house down payment people need to speak with a lawyer. There's a number of solutions that could protect everyone (parents could be on title with Husband/Wife, parents could gift son (and son alone) the down payment, post-nup, probably more) and there's enough money at stake that it makes sense to hire a lawyer. There's nothing that would guarantee no litigation if the marriage goes south but hey.

Not being on title should be a non-starter for Wife though. I'm paying my landlord's mortgage too, it's called renting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
In regards to the bathroom posted earlier https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en...From%20%251%24s

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:five:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
And here I thought nothing good ever came out of Vice anymore

:discourse:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Since we're talking about scams, I received an automated call about setting up an online bank account with the Bank of Scotland. The problem is that I live in the United States. I wanted to call them and ask about it, but it requires an international call. Do I chalk this up to a mistake or should I look further into it?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

DTaeKim posted:

Since we're talking about scams, I received an automated call about setting up an online bank account with the Bank of Scotland. The problem is that I live in the United States. I wanted to call them and ask about it, but it requires an international call. Do I chalk this up to a mistake or should I look further into it?

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Murderball posted:

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

Don’t put up with that, contact your MP.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode about this?

Sounds like I should just ignore it then.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Eh worst case scenario is just a little kick in the bum.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Murderball posted:

Was your water spinning the wrong way or not?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DTaeKim posted:

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode about this?

Sounds like I should just ignore it then.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Murderball posted:

Eh worst case scenario is just a little kick in the bum.

Disparaging the boot is a bootable offense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murderball posted:

Does Australia not warn you that you’re about to accept a collect call?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I thought Australia used the "Dollarydoo"?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

I had no time for that- I was worried about the bidet.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought Australia used the "Dollarydoo"?

Banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Midjack posted:

I realllllllllllllllllly hope you are not serious.