Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So it looks like Dragon Momoko is making a comeback. GMC are starting to relist all of their kits as in stock, including their PG Unicorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

So it looks like Dragon Momoko is making a comeback. GMC are starting to relist all of their kits as in stock, including their PG Unicorn.

poo poo I may have to pick up their destiny and the strike freedom if they ever come back in stock, I really do love those redesigns,.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Puddin posted:

Part B3 from the runner yeah? Looks like the same one that's on the RG Freedom, I tried to separate it at the hinge but it ain't budging.

I mis-understood and thought you were talking about the ball join where it attaches to the arm.

The shield should be sturdy if it has the handle that goes in the hand, but it will move around without it.

Fair enough, thanks for checking.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

poo poo I may have to pick up their destiny and the strike freedom if they ever come back in stock, I really do love those redesigns,.

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dm-destiny-gundam-central-model-kit ;)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I wonder if it’s new production or somebody found a pallet in a warehouse. Either way I’d act fast if you want one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

I wonder if it’s new production or somebody found a pallet in a warehouse. Either way I’d act fast if you want one.

It's a new production. Apparently the new way to avoid Bandai's wrath is to simply use plain white packaging.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a new production. Apparently the new way to avoid Bandai's wrath is to simply use plain white packaging.

Certainly makes it harder to pick out when you go with Repo Man packaging!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I will never look at Verniers the same way

https://twitter.com/yu5ukejbk/status/1103139507929374720

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That account is really incredible. I'd love to make dioramas like that someday.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I hadn't really noticed how good the MG Jesta looks when it's painted in something that isn't the boring default black-and-grey colour scheme, but wow. :stare: Guess I'm buying an MG Jesta.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 7, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I hadn't really noticed how good the MG Jesta looks when it's painted in something that isn't the boring default black-and-grey colour scheme, but wow. :stare: Guess I'm buying an MG Jesta.

The Jesta is one of the best grunt MGs out there. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's not fancy, but what it does, it does well.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Lemon-Lime posted:

To be fair, that model you linked has some serious modding and scratch building to get looking that good. Like an insane amount of time and skill has gone into it.

It's what I dream to be able to do, but will never achieve!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Puddin posted:

To be fair, that model you linked has some serious modding and scratch building to get looking that good. Like an insane amount of time and skill has gone into it.

For sure, but the base MG kit still looks good in pictures and reviews. The main thing that makes this one better is that the default colour scheme is incredibly boring, and this red/white one makes the really good basic design of the MS stand out a lot more.

chiasaur11 posted:

The Jesta is one of the best grunt MGs out there. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm grabbing a MG Jegan as well because neither my backlog nor my collection of Jegans is big enough, apparently. :v:

(I have the HG, HG Stark and HG General Revil already.)

e; unrelated to Gundam, who generally makes the best modern jet kits these days? I'm looking for a Su-33 but I don't trust Revell and I've never owned a Kinetic or Academy kit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 7, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm grabbing a MG Jegan as well because neither my backlog nor my collection of Jegans is big enough, apparently. :v:

(I have the HG, HG Stark and HG General Revil already.)

e; unrelated to Gundam, who generally makes the best modern jet kits these days? I'm looking for a Su-33 but I don't trust Revell and I've never owned a Kinetic or Academy kit.

I think I have every Jegan except vanilla Stark, D and D Camo. Not all of them are very good but darnit, a jegs a jegs a jeg.

I know Hasegawa makes a lot of modern stuff. There is a regular scale model thread though somewhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's in DIY, the Scale Model megathread

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just wish the Unicorn grunts didn't just copy real life firearms and then make them blockier. It's certainly not a awful basis to work from but they do too little with it and leave in a lot of stuff that wouldn't make much sense on a giant robot gun.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3148869&perpage=40&pagenumber=380#pti20

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phy posted:

Thanks!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Puddin posted:

It's what I dream to be able to do, but will never achieve!

You can start small and then take it from there.

I am looking at Yomi's Amethyst Gundam, going from the show stills, they literally hotglued the Sword Impulse's pack onto the back. I would like to make it so I can retain the Victory's thruster pack as well as being able to dock with the sword pack. Time to get scratching.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Speaking of bootleg packaging this was how my latest third party kit came in:

Now /that's/ bootleg packaging!!

(For context this was the Model Heart Wing Zero that was packed into a smaller box to save on shipping since it was too big to fit in a medium box)

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

So ahh, I caved and decided I need a new hobby and landed at this since I used to build planes as a kid. Gunpla here I come. Anyways, before I go and post a awful photo of my first/second kits, quick question about pieces. Anywhere you can get replacements pieces? I have smaller kids and uhhh my first kit ever here, MG Gouf Custom met the demise of a seven year old throwing a tantrum and was thrown into pieces, the horn for it is now MIA and presumed dead. And the Gouf just doesnt look right without the horn on its head.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Dead Like Rev posted:

So ahh, I caved and decided I need a new hobby and landed at this since I used to build planes as a kid. Gunpla here I come. Anyways, before I go and post a awful photo of my first/second kits, quick question about pieces. Anywhere you can get replacements pieces? I have smaller kids and uhhh my first kit ever here, MG Gouf Custom met the demise of a seven year old throwing a tantrum and was thrown into pieces, the horn for it is now MIA and presumed dead. And the Gouf just doesnt look right without the horn on its head.

Not sure about seperate replacement parts, but if you get a MG zaku they all come with the option of normal/commander heads so you should be able to take the horn from that and paint it and reuse it. Though the gouf custom is a 1.0 and the newer zakus are all 2.0's, not sure if it'll just fit or need some modifications.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 8, 2019

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Dead Like Rev posted:

If it's got a Bluefin distribution sticker on the box you can follow these steps and get a replacement:

https://www.bluefinbrands.com/replace

If not there are services that will send you them from Japan but that costs some money.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

TaurusOxford posted:

Damnit, already sold out

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ooh finally some actual pics of RE Zaku IIFZ in the flesh. RE hands are still pretty meh but everything else looks pretty noice.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1103943544689983488?s=19

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
When I looked into the backpack thing for the HG Victory, I decided I wanted to keep its original thruster pack, but also rig an adaptor to enable it to equip the Impulse swords pack.
The first thing was getting rid of the beam effect on those large antiship swords. I used a no grade Impulse because it was cheaper and readily available.
Afterwards, I hacked-sawed off the front part of the pack, leaving the swivel action intact. Using pla-plate and putty, I sculpted a rig and added steel wire to allow it to attach to the backpack. The whole thing took 2 whole afternoons.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
That's super cool. Planning to do anything to the boomerang thing?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot
https://imgur.com/a/idYsxyV

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Typical HG kit, the small pieces go flying off everywhere if you're not careful :v:.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

LibrarianCroaker posted:

That's super cool. Planning to do anything to the boomerang thing?

Just paint it. The no grade comes with one spare boomerang in blade mode. I could make 2 using the oyumaru technique but I'm going to pose this guy with the anti-ship swords. Also I realized that in episode 8 of try fighters Yomi deploys using the Dash Victory rifle instead of the regular one, but it's only for one scene when she's killing off Gyanko's buddies.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Latest build, Guncannon Firepower Test Type with the head of the Mobility Test Type cause Gunpla is freedom.

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 10, 2019

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone know of a place to order the Star Wars "Vehicle Model" kits online? They're the tiny ones, ~ $8 each, all on the tiniest base. Picked up a couple at HobbyTown yesterday and really enjoyed the builds, want to get some more and build them for my desk at work.

Unfortunately, the online world seems to be a bit tougher. None of the sites I usually use for models have them. I see some on Amazon, but they're the usual mix of shipped-from-Japan and "50% premium on the price" that Amazon seems to offer for most kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone know of a place to order the Star Wars "Vehicle Model" kits online? They're the tiny ones, ~ $8 each, all on the tiniest base. Picked up a couple at HobbyTown yesterday and really enjoyed the builds, want to get some more and build them for my desk at work.

Unfortunately, the online world seems to be a bit tougher. None of the sites I usually use for models have them. I see some on Amazon, but they're the usual mix of shipped-from-Japan and "50% premium on the price" that Amazon seems to offer for most kits.

Is there one you want in particular? A local shop has a bunch and if you’re in the US I’ll mail it to you at cost if they have it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I put my order in on HLJ last week to ship my stuff and I was wondering if anyone knows if the tracking for EMS shipping ends when it hits you local customs?

According to the tracking page the package was handed over to UK customs on Wednesday and that was the last update since. Does it get handed over to the local postal service after?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Midjack posted:

Is there one you want in particular? A local shop has a bunch and if you’re in the US I’ll mail it to you at cost if they have it.

Appreciate it, not really looking for one in particular at the moment. Will swing by the local HobbyTown again and see what else they have from the line. Really just something to build on the couch to kill a little time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Veotax posted:

According to the tracking page the package was handed over to UK customs on Wednesday and that was the last update since. Does it get handed over to the local postal service after?

Tracking generally ends the moment it gets handed over to a different national postal service.

Your package will only actually get handed over to Royal Mail if it clears customs. Any delay is most likely because it had its real value declared (which is over the £20 maximum for VAT-free imports), so you can look forward to paying 20% VAT on the total cost (including shipping) and a lovely £11 fee that customs will charge you for the privilege of charging you VAT.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh, I'm fully expecting to eat something like £50 in customs charges, on top of the £50-odd I paid for shipping. In total coming to about the same as the base cost of the items, but then that's probably the same as I would have paid if I had brought them from a local supplier.

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me know. I was getting worried it had gotten lost somewhere.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Oggo isn't quite as fun as an RB Ball kitbash, but maybe not enough people are trying. Oggo mated to a Gojulas cannon, needs plenty of maneuvering power and enhanced sensors.

Oggo Go Oggo and Madball

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Kao_Pai posted:

Oggo Go Oggo and Madball

I love this a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
revisiting the HG Kshatriya i made previously and have two questions

1) whats the best way to remove the adhesive gunk that stickers leave behind?
2) if i were to repaint the chest/sleeve areas, which of these would work better?

clear coat > black > white details > matte coat
clear coat > white > clear coat > black > paint thinner to remove black from detail > matte'

does that second option even work with tamiya acrylics? does the thinner eat though clear coats?

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 11, 2019