Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabundo posted:

Plus they don't look like they're sexualised (which is a relief. Aren't those characters basically still underage girls?).

Kamala is 17, I don't know about Ironheart because I don't follow the book but I know she's not 18. Miss America is in a gay relationship so I'd presume she's adult, although I'm sure Wiccan and Hulkling weren't 18 either when they hooked up in Young Avengers. Doreen is definitely late teens/early 20s, though; she's at college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jedit posted:

Miss America is in a gay relationship so I'd presume she's adult

Wait, what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/mark-the-end-of-pride-month-with-marvel

quote:

America

America Chavez has been kicking rear end and taking names since she debuted in VENGEANCE #1 in 2011. The super-tough dimension-hopper gained much of her inner strength from her mothers, who sacrificed themselves to save not just her, but the Utopian Parallel. After making her way to the Marvel Universe, she joined the Young Avengers and nonchalantly came out in YOUNG AVENGERS #15. Her adventures continue in AMERICA and ULTIMATES 2.

E: so not currently in a relationship, my mistake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think they were questioning your assumption that gay people under the age of 18 aren't allowed to have relationships

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They photoshopped him to look like a girl and then starting writing about how pretty it was

Reallly questioned whether I had clicked the wrong bookmark when this popped up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

With the masters of the universe thing, chuds were specifically complaining about art-direction. Behind the mask of grousing about "social justice warriors" or "cultural marxism" or whatever, chuds are mostly just bog-standard nerds and pedants whose reaction against this perceived ideological agenda is mostly a front for legitimizing their identity as consumers.

So, yeah, there's relatively little hullabaloo about marvel rising, but there were also, like, no hour-long video rants being made about DC superhero girls. In order to feel motivated, chuds need memes to tell them that something is popular enough to be upset about, and it further needs to be relevant to what they see as the "right" way of doing something born out of how they experienced it as a child.

Right: saying that right-wingers are purposefully sexist ascribes to them a power and clarity of purpose that they don’t actually have in reality. Of course such people exist, but they’re a tiny minority compared to those who simply don’t believe/care sexism exists and are ‘just’ whining that video games aren’t fun anymore or Disney movies suck.

It’s something hbomberguy’s recent video on ‘woke brands’ gets slightly wrong: the idiots burning their razors and NFL tickets are fully aware that they are doing absolutely nothing to harm the corporation. They themselves are cynically latching onto the corporate ‘woke’ ad campaigns, and using a corresponding ‘unwokeness’ as a brand for self-promotion. Smashing Keurigs is no different from the ‘bird box challenge’ or whatever. The attention is largely an end unto itself.

Insofar as there is a goal, the goal of grabbing this attention is actually a plea for an alliance with the corporation. You can see this clearly time and time again: “you could have made more money! You are losing money by making things that aren’t ‘for me’.”

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 10, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Gripweed posted:

I think they were questioning your assumption that gay people under the age of 18 aren't allowed to have relationships

Yes, it was this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Oh, right. My assumption wasn't about gay people though; it was about how mainstream comics tend to the conservative when dealing with them. For example, Karolina Dean in Runaways came out at exactly the same time she became old enough to get married. So far as I know the only gay relationship in a Big Two comic where someone is under 18 is Hulkling/Wiccan.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Kamala is 17, I don't know about Ironheart because I don't follow the book but I know she's not 18. Miss America is in a gay relationship so I'd presume she's adult, although I'm sure Wiccan and Hulkling weren't 18 either when they hooked up in Young Avengers. Doreen is definitely late teens/early 20s, though; she's at college.

squirrel girl is a compsci grad student and teaches.....prolly 30ish

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

squirrel girl is a compsci grad student and teaches.....prolly 30ish

She’s an undergrad in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What the gently caress, lmao.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Oh, I think that's the series Gypsy Blanchard. I saw the documentary about that with my roommate back when it came out and the whole situation was honestly so distressing that it's kind of hosed that anybody would try to turn it into entertainment as tv show. I guess you could say that about a lot of things though. Even the documentary itself seemed exploitive of the subject to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dave from the X-E forums doing well for himself I see

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

lookit this ugly loving thing

At least someone tried to protect poor Germany

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That first one is really legit scary so I approve of that change. Jesus.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What the gently caress, lmao.

The poster makes the twist look like she's really a robot or something. Why did they enhance her eyes like that

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Autechresaint posted:

The poster makes the twist look like she's really a robot or something. Why did they enhance her eyes like that

Probably to show that she’s alive inside this darkened shell.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is that the enby actor from new Sabrina? I'm glad to see them get more roles, they whipped rear end on Sabrina.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The fact that Gypsy Blanchard spent any time in prison is loving galling. She did quite literally the only thing she could in order to escape constant horrific physical and mental torture. This is a case where the justice system really didn't have to go "YEAH BUT KILLING IS WROOOOONG", and all they achieved by doing so is making parents similar to hers feel much more secure in their actions.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s a very intense story all-around. I recommend everyone who is interested in true crime check it out. If memory serves, there’s a really good This American Life ep from a couple of years ago that covers it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This is the article I first read about it and it's really informative.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Erebus posted:

lookit this ugly loving thing

At least someone tried to protect poor Germany

I don't like the emphasis on "hit" because the only joke part of that tagline is "runaway" and even that is being generous.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found that Citizen Kane had a tagline, and now I'm genuinely annoyed that modern packaging and such omits it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gripweed posted:

I just found that Citizen Kane had a tagline, and now I'm genuinely annoyed that modern packaging and such omits it.

Everyone always uses the film to say "the Citizen Kane of such-and-such" and turns out we can call Citizen Kane the Frosted Flakes of movies.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I miss the days when you could sell your product by just saying "it's good" with no follow-up

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd seen those posters before, but it had never occurred to me that it was the tagline. It's accurate, but still.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

*squints* Peter Serafinowicz?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

I miss the days when you could sell your product by just saying "it's good" with no follow-up

At the same time you can kinda tell RKO can't think of how to actually sell the movie apart from, "Well, it's really good." They had trouble even in territories where Hearst didn't have a huge presence.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Everyone always uses the film to say "the Citizen Kane of such-and-such" and turns out we can call Citizen Kane the Frosted Flakes of movies.

I mean it's more that just "great," so...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Maxwell Lord posted:

At the same time you can kinda tell RKO can't think of how to actually sell the movie apart from, "Well, it's really good." They had trouble even in territories where Hearst didn't have a huge presence.

I've got the (an?) Italian poster hanging up in my place. I like the Italian title ("fourth estate") more than the original

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Orson Welles talks a bit about this in the book of interviews he did with Bogdanovich. At some point, RKO was trying to change the name of the movie to "A Sea of Upturned Faces" just because they had no idea how to market it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

A similar example of "no loving clue how to advertise this" is the original Miracle on 34th Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQmDsDcYzk

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/seewhats...%26autosize%3D1

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Giving birth seems painful enough. :stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone wasn't familiar with these movies Jenny Nicholson reviewed the first two in depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHT1fYouYU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

muscles like this! posted:

In case anyone wasn't familiar with these movies Jenny Nicholson reviewed the first two in depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHT1fYouYU
You beat me to it cause my first reaction was "at least we'll get a fun video out of it"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Ever since she got a Smart TV my mother has been religiously watching every single Christmas movie at Netflix, including these, so I guess she'll be ecstatic with the conclusion of the trilogy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

Ever since she got a Smart TV my mother has been religiously watching every single Christmas movie at Netflix, including these, so I guess she'll be ecstatic with the conclusion of the trilogy.

Wait, conclusion? Why would it stop at three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, I'm waiting for A Christmas Prince: Ethnic In-Law