Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Oh, you mean Tsugumi? I thought you were talking about the person from the recent untranslated chapters.
Yeah, I'm still back and forth on Orient, and I'm sure both sentiments are a latent response to my mourning over the Assassination of Magi by the Coward Shounen Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Oh, you mean Tsugumi? I thought you were talking about the person from the recent untranslated chapters.
Yeah, I'm still back and forth on Orient, and I'm sure both sentiments are a latent response to my mourning over the Assassination of Magi by the Coward Shounen Sunday.

Yeah, Tsugumi who I thought would be like Morgana but sadly the chapter started off on the wrong foot. I admit I was relieved since shonen typically has a terrible gender ratio for the main cast.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alder posted:

Yeah, Tsugumi who I thought would be like Morgana but sadly the chapter started off on the wrong foot. I admit I was relieved since shonen typically has a terrible gender ratio for the main cast.

Expecting a female shonen party member to be as good as Morgiana is almost unfair, tbh, but there were definitely things evocative of her in Tsugumi's backstory - just not her characterization after the fact.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Sinbad (Magi spoilers just because it's good and I don't want to ruin it for anyone) becoming a sort of well-intentioned antagonist later is one of my favorite "twists" ever in a shounen manga, and I really didn't like how it ended up being tied into the David stuff or whatever. I would have liked if he just ended up being the final opponent, since he made for a really compelling antagonist and Alibaba worked great as his "rival."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Sinbad (Magi spoilers just because it's good and I don't want to ruin it for anyone) becoming a sort of well-intentioned antagonist later is one of my favorite "twists" ever in a shounen manga, and I really didn't like how it ended up being tied into the David stuff or whatever. I would have liked if he just ended up being the final opponent, since he made for a really compelling antagonist and Alibaba worked great as his "rival."

I agree with all of this, but the more I've thought about it, especially after a rewatch/reread, the more I'm 100% confident that Sunday chopped that series in half. Magi announced it was entering its final arc the same week new management took over and said they wanted to clear out older series. I think it goes without saying that even though the final arc was almost 80 chapters, it felt like it was trying to squeeze several hundreds worth of content. It's actually kind of insane.
I'm willing to bet good money that there was supposed to be a Dark Continent arc between the civil war and the last arc, basically giving us a Morgiana led arc, but it got reduced to a footnote. And then there's the brainwashing shenanigans that benched her in the final arc, even though the series set up a half-dozen Chekhov's guns specifically for her character that very well couldve gotten her free - they just never fire because that would've added another spinning plate to an arc with hectic pacing as it is. I heard rumors that Sunday wanted to just prioritive getting the male characters' stuff resolved and wrap up the series in a timely manner, and that really checks out with what we got.
My issue with the last arc - and kinda the second half of the series - isnt what's there, because what's there is good. I just feel like Ohtaka set up a lot of things that got unfulfilled due to the time crunch. Series needs a KotOR 2 style restoration patch.
AoS's abrupt ending and Ohtaka's departure from the magazine immediately thereafter also give credence to this story. She made a blog post comic with Magi characters explaining her departure, and assured people that it wasnt because of her "problems with the editorial", and it reads like the most "Brutus is an honorable man" poo poo I've ever seen.

So yeah. I love Magi, I'm critical of Magi, I blame the editors (also the patriarchal culture of the industry).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So where is she now with Orient?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jose posted:

dropped the ball how? I'm liking it especially now we're getting musashi's backstory + how the powers work
when it became incredibly slow and dropped jokes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jb really trying to keep ahead of manga plus and viz with jujutsu kaisen. they just put the most recent ch up. check it out if you're impatient or can't use those for w/e reason

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/48/page/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hopefully the mangaplus version makes it clearer whats happening because i couldn't follow a lot of the action

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm not exaggerating when I say that Toudou saved this series for me.

So he's managed to help MC remove a significant amount of the lag from his divergent punch so now he's hitting his opponents the curse force collides immediately after the physical hit connects.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the drool...

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chainsaw man ftw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Abyss Rage is ranked 10th on manga plus and I read it but I assume that is entirely because nobody else translates it because its very generic and bad lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nu juju

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/49/page/1

Read it, brother.

This manga had a shaky start but this chapter is the turning point and now I expect great things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love the eternal best friends

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1001686

New series "The Last Saiyuki"

Seems like an interesting premise.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

nu juju

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/49/page/1

Read it, brother.

This manga had a shaky start but this chapter is the turning point and now I expect great things.

Jesus Toudou's neck

He's still best the best though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Today in painting adventure:

The maids aint right.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/544466/1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Chainsaw.
He achieved his goal already. :allears: But what now? Well, the same goal obviously.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chainsaw man Ftw.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wanna see my scrappy boy live a happy life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's surprisingly good fun..I never read fire punch should I?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fire punch is a lot of things, but i wouldn't call it good fun

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what i read of fire punch was gross (cannibalism, rape used as a threat) and then cathartic sad (fire punch becoming a better person)

i should probably get back to finishing it

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I've been reading Miao Shou Xian Dan off and on. The protagonist recently got the best power up:

Just becoming more jacked.

And they've just been getting bigger over the course of this scene.

MUSCLE WIZARDS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sold

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is good and I'm glad you posted it here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fire Punch seemed like a modern take on a rad 80s concept then it had tonnes of rape and edginess and I dropped it immediately

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
After seeing you guys talking about it for the last few weeks I read Chainsawman.

It's good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

EmmyOk posted:

Fire Punch seemed like a modern take on a rad 80s concept then it had tonnes of rape and edginess and I dropped it immediately
i dont remember any rape. there was almost rape by dogs tho but then the instigators got butchered

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Today in painting adventure:

The maids aint right.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/544466/1
I instantly thought of this. Get outta there!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been putting off actually thinking too hard about this for a while, but with my SJ subscription renewal coming up is there any particular reason to actually keep it up when all I do is read the recently released chapters? Those are free until they get to be the 4th or so down the list, aren't they?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 6, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the most recent few chapters are available free on manga plus and viz. the sub is necessary for the full archive

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm gonna sub for one more year, just to give myself time to read through the back catalog of certain specific series. I probably won't renew next year, however.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why does it say I can just hit a Cancel button that does not seem to actually exist on the Membership page.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love you Sensei.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I've been putting off actually thinking too hard about this for a while, but with my SJ subscription renewal coming up is there any particular reason to actually keep it up when all I do is read the recently released chapters? Those are free until they get to be the 4th or so down the list, aren't they?

It costs practically nothing and you're supporting the people who make manga? If you buy physical volumes then sure go for it though

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I love you Sensei.

I'm not that fond of sensei, but these mini arcs focusing on separate characters have been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Same. This manga is really good when it slows down and tells a story. Also I guess the teacher that inspired her was Yuiga's dad?