Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder what Giran's quirk is. We haven't seen it yet, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wild Conjecture: He's gonna be Quirkless and that's gonna give us an opportunity to see how the Superpowers feel about that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

bare bottom pancakes posted:

"I can control carbonated water, and I live to shake things up!" is right there, too. Disappointing.

fake edit: the official translation is much better than the fans

having just read it my GOD you're right

I never even realized the dude was getting overpowered by his gear, I thought it was just him being scared of Bakugos crazy rear end

More clear now that Detnerat's just gonna torture the poo poo out of Giran, too

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Kimetsu aside, the official translations are all vastly superior for the most part.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Who the gently caress made this? Did you make this? I hope so. This is wonderful.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
THICC

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endeavor's real Quirk is having a nice rear end.

The parallels to Big Boss only grow.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Funky Valentine posted:

Endeavor's real Quirk is having a nice rear end.

The parallels to Big Boss only grow.

It's not the only thing growing right now :heysexy:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Endeavor works hard and trains hard.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
THAT'S A THICC rear end BOI

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Galvanik posted:

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

Stupid sexy Endeavor!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Even horrible parents don't skip leg day.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

"hnngh I'm trying to surpass All Might as the symbol of peace but I'm dummy thicc and the clapping of my rear end cheeks keeps scaring my fans"

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Well Manicured Man posted:

"hnngh I'm trying to surpass All Might as the symbol of peace but I'm dummy thicc and the clapping of my rear end cheeks keeps scaring my fans"

Not an empty quote

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I see that he and his children are thoroughbred.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A link to the official translation since the two fan translations were so confusing: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-219/chapter/17892?action=read

Forehead is a lot more explicitly threatening towards Giran here

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone else think it's super weird that we haven't gotten President Baldy's real name yet?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

"Shoto im trying to become #1 hero but im DUMMY THICC and the clap of of from rear end cheeks keeps alerting the villians"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the best one i've seen includes "the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps psychologically traumatizing my family"

anyway if they've been this wierd about it, it'll probably be some kind of reveal

Mei's dad???? Oh no

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SKULL.GIF posted:

A link to the official translation since the two fan translations were so confusing: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-219/chapter/17892?action=read

Forehead is a lot more explicitly threatening towards Giran here

This week's scans are both pretty much garbage compared to this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Almost like experienced professionals familiar with what they're working with are better at this than a bunch of random idiot weebs on the internet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Patware posted:

the best one i've seen includes "the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps psychologically traumatizing my family"

anyway if they've been this wierd about it, it'll probably be some kind of reveal

Mei's dad???? Oh no

If Mei's dad was a CEO she wouldn't have needed to make her entire match with Iida a job application

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Flesnolk posted:

Almost like experienced professionals familiar with what they're working with are better at this than a bunch of random idiot weebs on the internet.

People here have also sometimes complained that the official stuff lacks personality :shrug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DizzyBum posted:

Even horrible parents don't skip leg day.

NEVER skip Leg Day!

NEVER!!

SKIP!!!

LEG DAY!!!!!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Gotta have strong legs to lava climb up the sides of buildings.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dr Subterfuge posted:

People here have also sometimes complained that the official stuff lacks personality :shrug:
That does come up now and then but I have to wonder how many of those "I like the way the scanlators wrote the characters better" claims have any weight beyond personal preference. I can accept "I like this translation better" but "I like it better when Bakugo curses regardless of what was actually written" is less credible. While I personally think the official translation is great, even if it wasn't I'd still take dry and accurate over bombastic and manufactured. I'm here to read what Horikoshi wrote, not John Mangastream.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Patware posted:

Mei's dad???? Oh no

Him being related to one of the kids seems like the only reason they would keep his name a secret, but I can't really think of who it could be. The only one I could think of was Momo, since we know she comes from a rich, influential family, but they don't really look all that similar and from what little we know about the CEO's quirk, it doesn't seem related to Momo's creation quirk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

Him being related to one of the kids seems like the only reason they would keep his name a secret, but I can't really think of who it could be. The only one I could think of was Momo, since we know she comes from a rich, influential family, but they don't really look all that similar and from what little we know about the CEO's quirk, it doesn't seem related to Momo's creation quirk.

Also Momo explicitly talked about how she was taught to not abuse her creation quirk in ways that would gently caress with the status quo, which is directly and diametrically opposed to a philosophy of quirk liberation that seems to be baldy's raison d'etre.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kanos posted:

Also Momo explicitly talked about how she was taught to not abuse her creation quirk in ways that would gently caress with the status quo, which is directly and diametrically opposed to a philosophy of quirk liberation that seems to be baldy's raison d'etre.

What his father's raison d'etre was, we still aren't sure about him tbh.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kanos posted:

On the other hand..."Creatie" being the granddaughter of "Destro" would be rather poetic.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That does come up now and then but I have to wonder how many of those "I like the way the scanlators wrote the characters better" claims have any weight beyond personal preference. I can accept "I like this translation better" but "I like it better when Bakugo curses regardless of what was actually written" is less credible. While I personally think the official translation is great, even if it wasn't I'd still take dry and accurate over bombastic and manufactured. I'm here to read what Horikoshi wrote, not John Mangastream.

The first five Viz volumes were terrible. They sucked all the life out of the characters, which is subjective, but they also hosed up translations and swapped word bubbles, which was not.

They probably got better but I stopped buying them after that.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 13, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The early volumes are really dry, sometimes borderline literal translations and there's more than a few outright mistakes- mostly the translator confusing who is talking which is really odd since that particular problem is something that normally happens with scanlations.

I think it's way better nowadays.

Also we have scanlators to thank for the term "quirk", which I'm fairly sure was confirmed as a fan thing the official translation picked up. Note that this is from the original scanlators at Fallen Angels who intentionally delayed, then eventually dropped scanning it since they said they were friends with the official translator, Caleb.

A professional localization of the actual term Hori uses would probably have been "individuality".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

Also we have scanlators to thank for the term "quirk", which I'm fairly sure was confirmed as a fan thing the official translation picked up. Note that this is from the original scanlators at Fallen Angels who intentionally delayed, then eventually dropped scanning it since they said they were friends with the official translator, Caleb.

A professional localization of the actual term Hori uses would probably have been "individuality".

You’re probably right, considering how uh dry and borderline literal “individuality” is compared to “quirk”. Point to the scanlators.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
iirc that's literally what the first mangastream translations went with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slight spoilers from the next chapter I just heard. Namely the title of the chapter My Villain Academia

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lmao at Japan for thinking that individuality is a superpower

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eej posted:

lmao at Japan for thinking that individuality is a superpower

I can't tell if you are joking or not.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot