Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

That reminds me of how orbitally pissed off I was when the couple who had bought the private road in some rich neighbourhood and began openly talking about how they could make money on their investment got their road confiscated by the local government after the rich inhabitants of the street whinged and bitched and threw their toys out of the pram about how damned unfair it was that they were suffering the consequences of their own lack of action.

I believe two of those rich inhabitants were Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi. You know, Dianne Feinstein?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP_iVlEyp5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Raising taxes is only part of the story in Illinois. The whole reason Illinois is hosed right now is because politicians were offering big construction contracts to huge companies to secure their endorsement, and at the same time, were promising huge bonuses to pension funds to get those unions in their corner as well. Then once they took office, they gave out the contracts without factoring in the states long term financial status, and boosted pension benefits without providing the necessary additional funding to match those promises. As the crisis developed, the state took out a bunch of loans, but the excess money got showered on the politicians and their friends, and the debt continued to grow. After a decade+ of that poo poo, a state that should be one of the richest in the country can't even afford to pay the interest on all the loans it took out, and still owes massive amounts on all the short sighted guarantees the state made for short term benefit. So when it comes to Illinois, it's not a purely financial decision. It's the fact that confidence in the state government is probably bottom 3 in the country, and the general attitude towards taxes is that you might as well set the money on fire for all the good it's going to do in the hands of a bunch of corrupt, rich fucks. That money is paying off interest on junk loans, not renovating the school your kids go to. That sentiment is particularly true downstate since there's added resentment due to Chicago being the epicenter for this brand of politics.

Chicago is such an entrenched financial center in the US that inertia alone is enough to keep a lot of commerce there, but elsewhere in the state it's a different story. Of the companies within a couple of hours of a state border that need new facilities, the majority are making the move, because there's a ton of baggage in Illinois and a ton of perks to leaving, and states like Iowa and Indiana recognize that and are offering all kinds of incentives for those companies to make the move. I live in the Rock Island/Davenport area where half of the "city" is on the Iowa side and half is on the Illinois side, and you can really see the impact there. People and businesses are flooding across the border, and Davenport is going through a bunch of huge development projects to keep up with the growth. Give it another decade or two and Illinois will be a figment of itself if things continue down the path they are on.

Yep, 100% agree here. The taxes aren't high in an absolute sense, they're high because the value residents get from them is gently caress all due to pensions that were going to be legally restricted. Turns out that requires a separate constitutional amendment, and a fully passed law to stop feeding the public pension dipshits ruining the state was struck down.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
And those public pensioners in many cases accepted lower wages in exchange for job security and a guarantee of a nice retirement. Pension increases in lieu of wage increases. It's the same predicament that Oregon is in.

therobit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 14, 2019

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

And those public pensioners in many cases accepted lower wages in exchange for job security and a guarantee of a nice retirement. Pension increases in lieu of watche increases. It's the same predicament that Oregon is in.

The workers aren't really to blame, to be sure, but they're the ones that are going to have to suffer because they believed in their unions and politicians making unsustainable promises. One plausible alternative is that they try to make everyone suffer and many people (and particularly employers) say "gently caress this" and leave, leading to a death spiral.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/illinois-taxpayers-bear-the-brunt-of-rising-pension-costs/

Counterpoint? https://www.trsil.org/news-and-events/pension-issues/teacher-pensions-too-generous

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

And those public pensioners in many cases accepted lower wages in exchange for job security and a guarantee of a nice retirement. Pension increases in lieu of wage increases. It's the same predicament that Oregon is in.

I’ve learned you always take the higher pay. It’s too easy for employers to modify or tweak benefits to their advantage. Granted, they can also lower your pay, but it’s tougher to sneak a smaller paycheck past undetected.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

n8r posted:

I need a new AV, but I'm far too lazy to figure one out for myself...

Done.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Barry posted:

While I agree with that in general, I kind of doubt really high earners are going to run away from Chicago/affluent suburbs to some rickety rear end town in NW Indiana over $8k.

On the other hand:
One Top Taxpayer Moved, and New Jersey Shuddered

quote:

By Robert Frank

April 30, 2016

Our top-heavy economy has come to this: One man can move out of New Jersey and put the entire state budget at risk. Other states are facing similar situations as a greater share of income — and tax revenue — becomes concentrated in the hands of a few.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We've finally gotten to the point where rich individuals are going to start getting competing HQ2-like handouts to convince them to move/stay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That reminds of the case where a county accidentally assessed a guy's property tax at millions of dollars and then went and spent that extra money before the mistake was realized. One guy can make a difference, especially when you add a couple of zeros to his home value.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve learned you always take the higher pay. It’s too easy for employers to modify or tweak benefits to their advantage. Granted, they can also lower your pay, but it’s tougher to sneak a smaller paycheck past undetected.

Yup. Benefits are great and you always need to do the math about what you’re getting vs what you’re giving up but lol gently caress no to leaving my retirement in the hands of a company (or government if it’s a public job) long term.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

That reminds me of how orbitally pissed off I was when the couple who had bought the private road in some rich neighbourhood and began openly talking about how they could make money on their investment got their road confiscated by the local government after the rich inhabitants of the street whinged and bitched and threw their toys out of the pram about how damned unfair it was that they were suffering the consequences of their own lack of action.

There was a lot to that story and fair arguments to be made on both sides. It's hard to see why a neighborhood road is a piece of property that should be subject to a tax foreclosure sale or what exactly the public interest would be in auctioning a neighborhood road to professional real estate investors.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That neighborhood road was subject to taxes because it was private property owned by the gated community. It wasn’t some kind of public thoroughfare and was privately held specifically to keep the unwashed masses from dirtying the pavement.

I’ll agree that the dude was speculating and trying to make a buck. He wasn’t out to score one for that little guy. It’s still bullshit that he didn’t just get bought out and the people on that road used their political connections to just take it back.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There was a lot to that story and fair arguments to be made on both sides. It's hard to see why a neighborhood road is a piece of property that should be subject to a tax foreclosure sale or what exactly the public interest would be in auctioning a neighborhood road to professional real estate investors.

First we assume "the United States", and then basically everything else falls into place. Also what Cyrano said.

Jan 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

That neighborhood road was subject to taxes because it was private property owned by the gated community. It wasn’t some kind of public thoroughfare and was privately held specifically to keep the unwashed masses from dirtying the pavement.

I’ll agree that the dude was speculating and trying to make a buck. He wasn’t out to score one for that little guy. It’s still bullshit that he didn’t just get bought out and the people on that road used their political connections to just take it back.

Of course it's subject to taxes for the sake that it is property that exists within a taxing authority but evidently there was a foreclosure sale because a $14 bill was being mailed to a dead accountant for several years. Tax liens and tax foreclosure are generally important mechanisms of tax enforcement but in this case simply investigating the unusual situation regarding an unusual parcel and resolving the administrative error prior to foreclosure would have almost certainly led to a happier outcome for every single person involved, including the speculator who purchased the road and ultimately made no money off of it while bearing legal expenses.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Guy keeps road: shithead guy wins due to clerical error
City takes road for nothing: shithead guy follows all the rules but gets screwed by the government
City takes road and pays compensation: shithead guy comes out even but government pays a large amount of money for a clerical error and oh my god, government waste

Winner: lawyers

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Could you either a) post a link to what you people are talking about, or b) progress directly to the Always Exciting Private Land Bad and Brutalist Architecture Good argument? TIA

Jan 11, 2004

howdoesishotweb posted:

Could you either a) post a link to what you people are talking about, or b) progress directly to the Always Exciting Private Land Bad and Brutalist Architecture Good argument? TIA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/904629001

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

howdoesishotweb posted:

The street was sold for $90,000 after a long-unpaid tax bill.
The guillotine candidates threw a shitfit, as you might expect.
Naturally, after all that fuss, the city was pretty slow about returning the buyer's money. They ignored the taxes due for 30 years; what's a few months and $90K between friends?

Bonus: This wasn't the first time it happened.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

This is what easements are for, our whole road is private but someone convinced everyone to sign easements so houses could still be bought and sold, it was causing loan problems for people without the easements being official. Still don't have a legally binding road maintenance agreement though which Fanny doesn't like.

Jan 11, 2004
Interesting to me that hiring attorneys and taking actions that anybody involved in a legal dispute involving property would do is characterized as "throwing a shitfit"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 14, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure "it's only $x" definitely worked for people whose homes were getting foreclosed on during the 2008 crisis.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

evobatman posted:

I watched a bunch of Dave Ramsey videos and enjoyed them fairly well, not knowing much about him, until I suddenly came across one video that was like this:

Caller: "Me and my spouses 401ks are maxed out, we own our house and cars outright and we have $500,000 saved for retirement. Now my husband says God told him to sell everything and buy a house that's three times what we can afford"

Ramsey: "Well if God told him to, you have to do it"
I think that falls on the caller for trolling him with a loaded question. I've recently been reading everything I can find about budgeting so naturally I found a bunch of Dave Ramsey videos. Much of his advice is good, and being an evangelical Christian is not inherently a character flaw. If the story of the Miketz helps someone understand budgeting, then teach them about the Miketz. OTOH he is pretty darn bourgeois, definitely upholding the Protestant ethic and at times verging on prosperity gospel.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Alan Smithee posted:

how does siphoning healthcare in Canada as an American work? Like if you get shot and cross the border they can't send you a bill

Every province gives out health cards to people that live there with registration numbers. When you goto a doctor or hospital you give them your health card and that tells them they can bill the province for whatever care you receive. If you don't have a health card they will still admit you and do whats needed but they will send you bills afterwards. It will be a lot cheaper then American Healthcare however because the provinces sets the costs on whatever needs to be done and gets billed back to itself.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Interesting to me that hiring attorneys and taking actions that anybody involved in a legal dispute involving property would do is characterized as "throwing a shitfit"

How many average neighborhoods do you think get to call in a sitting US Senator as "a friend and former neighbor", have a British General Consul weigh in, or get an uninterrupted two and a half hours in front of the City Council? Seems like anyone who didn't live in a $6M+ neighborhood would have been told to come to an arrangement, let the new owner sell with a modest profit, and take it as a lesson to file their forms correctly next time (in another 20-30 years, apparently).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not sure if this is BWM or just sad (why not both?), but my Lyft driver today told me she was paying $250/week to rent the Nissan Sentra we were in.

:stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo that is the worst with money. $1,000 a month for RENTING a Nissan Sentra. The 2019 model has a starting price of like $18,000.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure if this is BWM or just sad (why not both?), but my Lyft driver today told me she was paying $250/week to rent the Nissan Sentra we were in.

:stare:

:stare: Hopefully it's one of those awful leases that includes unlimited miles and all of your insurance making any earnings above $250 truly "yours" as it were? That way you can at least see with your own eyes how little money you make.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: Hopefully it's one of those awful leases that includes unlimited miles and all of your insurance making any earnings above $250 truly "yours" as it were? That way you can at least see with your own eyes how little money you make.

You still wouldn’t come out ahead on a lease like that because moral hazard means anyone using it would 100% be dragging their car through the dirt. The leaser would have some kind of gotcha to protect themselves from getting back a 3 year old Sentra with 300k miles and an engine compartment full of squirrels.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Krispy Wafer posted:

You still wouldn’t come out ahead on a lease like that because moral hazard means anyone using it would 100% be dragging their car through the dirt. The leaser would have some kind of gotcha to protect themselves from getting back a 3 year old Sentra with 300k miles and an engine compartment full of squirrels.

if they lease for three years at that rate and don't even give the car back, you've still made 100% ROI at MSRP

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

The point of these leases is to depreciate the car to 0 in that period of time, not have any residual value. They don't care if they get it back in 3 years because at that point they're going to crush it into a cube.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm pretty sure Lyft and Uber have programs to rent cars by the week for a flat rate with unlimited mileage to use as a driver for their services. I'm not saying it's a wise financial decision on the driver's part (I have no idea how the math works out, but almost certainly in Lyft's favor), but it's probably being rented by a company that knows exactly how it's being used.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

incogneato posted:

I'm pretty sure Lyft and Uber have programs to rent cars by the week for a flat rate with unlimited mileage to use as a driver for their services. I'm not saying it's a wise financial decision on the driver's part (I have no idea how the math works out, but almost certainly in Lyft's favor), but it's probably being rented by a company that knows exactly how it's being used.

Yeah I got the impression this was it. Still, 1k/month for a Nissan versa...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
They probably set it up so that the rent comes right out of their salary wages earnings. Wouldn't that just be the most convenient? After 40 hours, you'll be keeping your earnings!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that is how they do it, there's an obligatory earnings target on i think a weekly basis and some other things as well

the lease rate is actually not as horrible as i thought it might be, it's above market but there's no mileage limit and they claim to provide insurance.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that is how they do it, there's an obligatory earnings target on i think a weekly basis and some other things as well

the lease rate is actually not as horrible as i thought it might be, it's above market but there's no mileage limit and they claim to provide insurance.

Plus it's a 100% business expense if used only for ridesharing. So, if the insurance is good and covers the activity in question, the deal starts to look a lot less terrible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Plus it's a 100% business expense if used only for ridesharing. So, if the insurance is good and covers the activity in question, the deal starts to look a lot less terrible.
Does it?

Does it really?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baquerd posted:

Narrator: But it wasn’t.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Random q is there ridesharing for longer road trips? Like if you are going upstate hundreds of miles away and want to split the gas cost

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I was in college you would just go to the corkboard in the commons and find someone who posted that there were driving/needed a ride to the city. I bet craigslist or your local Facebook groups could work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Alan Smithee posted:

Random q is there ridesharing for longer road trips? Like if you are going upstate hundreds of miles away and want to split the gas cost

In Europe I've used Blablacar for that. It's basically getting gas money from carpooling