Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah but heroic sacrifice is, like, understandable. There's a level of emotional processing that helps distance the loss because it's an act with inherent meaning.

Everyone celebrating after the long fight and, uh, Clint getting loving shanked by a half-dead Thanos because he's not letting you get away clean is shocking. It's snatching away the victory and tainting it with loss. It refutes the hope of the situation with the grim reminder of death.

They did that in Avengers 2 and it was really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

The whole goddamn MCU would be worth it if someone gets decapitated immediately after being unsnapped.

Well they can always get rid of Drax really quickly since I doubt his actor is returning.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rirse posted:

Well they can always get rid of Drax really quickly since I doubt his actor is returning.
He just said he wouldn't do Guardians 3 without the director.
He might be amenable to a Spider Man buddyup or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

He just said he wouldn't do Guardians 3 without the director.
He might be amenable to a Spider Man buddyup or something.

No, he said he would still do GOTG3 but only if they use James Gunn's script.

But we will likely see him play Peacemaker in Gunn's Suicide Squad movie before we know if that's happening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Everyone celebrating after the long fight and, uh, Clint getting loving shanked by a half-dead Thanos because he's not letting you get away clean is shocking. It's snatching away the victory and tainting it with loss. It refutes the hope of the situation with the grim reminder of death.

Joss Whedon didn't write this one though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ohhh looking forward to this. I love the movie Frank, but to be honest that movie has Frank actually just playing the foil for Domnhall Gleeson's character and his stark realization that ultimately he just doesn't have *it* and is actively ruining the thing he wants to be a part of.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The MSJ posted:

No, he said he would still do GOTG3 but only if they use James Gunn's script.

But we will likely see him play Peacemaker in Gunn's Suicide Squad movie before we know if that's happening.

It's all moot now because Gunn's just been reinstated as the director of Guardians 3.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's good cause the cause for his firing was stupid as hell.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zedd posted:

That's good cause the cause for his firing was stupid as hell.

Can't say that in cined, this subforum thinks the alt righters had a point because gotg are immoral movies where the heros don't fight the status quo.

I know botl has been banned but even if that was a troll, there were plenty of people going along with it and it was a poo poo sentiment echoed nowhere else, and enough people seem to have wanted botl to think for them that I won't let them pretend they didn't support an alt righters agenda for funsies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only a couple people thought that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

CelticPredator posted:

Only a couple people thought that.

Felt like more and who knows maybe we won't get as much now that bottle is gone. Just don't like seeing people argue at all that an actual outspoken hatemonger like Mike Cernovich maybe had a point.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Can't say that in cined, this subforum thinks the alt righters had a point because gotg are immoral movies where the heros don't fight the status quo.

I know botl has been banned but even if that was a troll, there were plenty of people going along with it and it was a poo poo sentiment echoed nowhere else, and enough people seem to have wanted botl to think for them that I won't let them pretend they didn't support an alt righters agenda for funsies.

No one thinks Cernovich had a point, I just find it hard to give a poo poo if a millionaire gets fired for causing bad pr. Boo fucken hoo

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of,

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1106618365274054656

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What's a botl?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ariza posted:

What's a botl?

Not much what's a botl with you?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I thought it was more that you shouldn't applaud that a huge monopolistic corporation has co-opted and homogenized another artist in their continued stranglehold on pop culture and mass media.

The only right wing rhetoric I ever saw in CineD were certain people refusing to recognize the personhood of sentient creatures and droids in a fantasy series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

No one thinks Cernovich had a point, I just find it hard to give a poo poo if a millionaire gets fired for causing bad pr. Boo fucken hoo

This was my feeling as well. I'm fine with Gunn getting the job back but I also really didn't have much sympathy for him either. Like you said, he works in an industry that takes PR very seriously, and he chose to make those jokes, which were offensive even at the time he made them. I didn't agree with Disney's decision but it's part of the game, which Gunn knew full well.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, it sucks to get fired and I think it was a stupid reason to begin with, but I can't get terribly worked up over a rich and famous person losing a job. It's not like that was really going to impact his quality of life in a meaningful way. It actually looks like it might have improved it, all things considered.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Basebf555 posted:

This was my feeling as well. I'm fine with Gunn getting the job back but I also really didn't have much sympathy for him either. Like you said, he works in an industry that takes PR very seriously, and he chose to make those jokes, which were offensive even at the time he made them. I didn't agree with Disney's decision but it's part of the game, which Gunn knew full well.

I would agree except Disney has a long history of being racist as gently caress so they don't get to pretend they are on the moral high road.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inzombiac posted:

I would agree except Disney has a long history of being racist as gently caress so they don't get to pretend they are on the moral high road.

Eh, they weren’t really. I mean sure there’s a pro forma press release tut tutting his bad words but no one is fooled, he was being punished for embarrassing the mouse in public

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gripweed posted:

Not much what's a botl with you?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BonoMan posted:

Ohhh looking forward to this. I love the movie Frank, but to be honest that movie has Frank actually just playing the foil for Domnhall Gleeson's character and his stark realization that ultimately he just doesn't have *it* and is actively ruining the thing he wants to be a part of.

It's also basically a film about Captain Beefheart making Trout Mask Replica except instead of being a tyrannical dick the Captain is a goofy childlike savant with a fake head.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I once got body-checked into a wall by my best friend because he saw the only copy of the Frank soundtrack that the store stocked on the wall at Record Store Day, which was fair.

God I love that movie.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Another bunch o' things.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Another bunch o' things.

This one threw me for a loop until I saw the tiny Deathsport title. The movie is a rushed Corman joint that was originally meant to be the sequel to Death Race 2000, but this poster clearly rips off Rollerball. But apparently when it came out in Germany on DVD, they changed the title again from Giants With Steel Fists to Death Race 2050. Which is different from the other direct-to-dvd Death Race 2050, also produced by Roger Corman. Which was made because Corman didn't like the 2008 Death Race remake and its multiple DVD prequels.

I'm losing track of all these dystopian murder sport B-movies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psypop:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh wow, there's a trailer and the mouths move.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That's the future of independent movies.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Wedge Regret
Kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbW2fXSShc

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Adam Curtis has taken a WEIRD turn.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Financed by Stoelbank's Bitcoin hacks no doubt.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks for this! I usually hate these, but this was quick and easy to follow. My weakest area at work has always been color (specifically in UI), so any video that can make it simple enough for me to follow along is always appreciated.

Is yellow cheaper to print or is it because it's easy to let most of the design be yellow without it being overwhelming but being distinct enough to warrant attention?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey, I kinda like this one.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, I think it's actually pretty good. Still doesn't make me all that interested in yet another movie that's already been made before, but at least the poster is alright.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, I think it's actually pretty good. Still doesn't make me all that interested in yet another movie that's already been made before, but at least the poster is alright.

Reviews so far are winning me back, everyone I follow who got to see it at South By Southwest said the trailers didn't give away much at all and it goes down some surprisingly fresh routes that weren't even covered in the first film/stayed truer to the book. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 10 reviews so far, including from Variety/Hollywood Reporter/Collider

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Chris James 2 posted:

Reviews so far are winning me back, everyone I follow who got to see it at South By Southwest said the trailers didn't give away much at all and it goes down some surprisingly fresh routes that weren't even covered in the first film/stayed truer to the book. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 10 reviews so far, including from Variety/Hollywood Reporter/Collider

The trailer seems to imply a pretty heavy change with it looks like the daughter dies instead of the toddler. Now maybe that's just trailer editing magic, but something weird is going on there, especially with the callback to the achilles tendon scene that's been shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's been said that's likely due to
a toddler being hard to take direction. One article said you're unlikely to get something like what Milo Hughes produced (and even though it's kinda goofy watching as an adult, you have to realize the kid was running on all cylinders there).

I wonder if the ending then has the daughter or mother murder the toddler or something like that

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 18, 2019