Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
robert browing owns completely. everyone should read childe roland to the dark tower came

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Speaking of poems, old haiku are my jams. What're some good new ones?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

hthis hurts me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

robert browing owns completely. everyone should read childe roland to the dark tower came

Isn't that a bit modern for you? Post something with a Þ in it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't that a bit modern for you? Post something with a Þ in it

Gáttir allar,
áðr gangi fram,
um skoðask skyli,
um skyggnast skyli,
því at óvíst er at vita,
hvar óvinir
sitja á fleti fyrir.

Gefendr heilir!
Gestr er inn kominn,
hvar skal sitja sjá?
Mjök er bráðr,
sá er á bröndum skal
síns of freista frama.

Elds er þörf,
þeims inn er kominn
ok á kné kalinn;
matar ok váða
er manni þörf,
þeim er hefr um fjall farit.

Vatns er þörf,
þeim er til verðar kemr,
þerru ok þjóðlaðar,
góðs of æðis,
ef sér geta mætti,
orðs ok endrþögu.

Vits er þörf,
þeim er víða ratar;
dælt er heima hvat;
at augabragði verðr,
sá er ekki kann
ok með snotrum sitr.

At hyggjandi sinni
skyli-t maðr hræsinn vera,
heldr gætinn at geði;
þá er horskr ok þögull
kemr heimisgarða til,
sjaldan verðr víti vörum,
því at óbrigðra vin
fær maðr aldregi
en mannvit mikit.

Inn vari gestr,
er til verðar kemr,
þunnu hljóði þegir,
eyrum hlýðir,
en augum skoðar;
svá nýsisk fróðra hverr fyrir.

Hinn er sæll,
er sér of getr
lof ok líknstafi;
ódælla er við þat,
er maðr eiga skal
annars brjóstum í.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Speaking of poems, old haiku are my jams. What're some good new ones?

ferris wheel is a nice collection of modern tanka which are the superior japanese poetry form anyway

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've never read anything by Harold Bloom (except for maybe an excerpt of some Shakespearean analysis when I was getting my degree). What's a good intro?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
probably how to read and why, or maybe the western canon

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Something from the bottle wake in QQCS that struck me was both a comment on Marxist vs. post-structuralist criticism and a mention Franchescanado made of a basic film criticism thread in CineD. Whereas I don't watch much film but do read I was wondering if there was a similar "how to lit crit" thread somewhere around here, or if we could post some links to help STEM ignoramuses like me out when approaching literary criticism.

I have a passing familiarity with French Theory but would be very interested in a discussion of theory for approaching texts

Thanks and god bless

Kittler is fun imo

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I find harold bloom infinitely inferior to erich auerbach who wrote mimesis, one of the best books of lit crit I've read, in exile from the nazis and without many of his books. Apologies for the poo poo formatting but this is the kind of work I'm talking about and it's a good introduction to Auerbach. He's above all else a generous and enthusiastic critic, you never get the sense he is merely stirring the pot and he seems basically without pettiness or resentment. His essay on 'figura' (link to pdf) is good also.

Another way he's much more valuable than harold bloom as a critic is that he actually understands what's interesting about medieval literature and doesn't gloss over it as simply 'pre-Shakespeare'

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Thank you for everyone's responses even if I don't reply directly I appreciated your posts pointing me to new things

Bandiet posted:

You should probably check out things like "the odyssey" or "the divine comedy", but for more direct descendants, how about Robert Browning, Thomas Hardy, Gerard Manley Hopkins.
I've read Iliad/Odyssey, Inferno and Paradise Lost, but they didn't really click with me. I think I have trouble with old poetry and writing in general which I'm hoping will clear over time, since eventually I'll have to read more of them to understand all the later authors immersed in them.

CestMoi posted:

Adonis gets called the arabic ts eliot a lot. obvs you've got neruda as well, borges poetry is real nice, pessoa but i think thatd mostly be reis and de campos being his inspired heteronyms given that caeiro never read poetry and is the best. marianne moore was a lady modernist. i realise im not giving translators at all here but i can't remember them. errr walcott? read omeros that's not really what you asked for but its extremely good.

pre those guys donne was a HUGE inspiration on eliot and is pretty great if you're into that sort of thing. pound was more into cavalcanti + daniel but good luck finding a nice translation of daniel that isn't just pound himself loving about. yeats is just a less cool blake
I want to read Donne (despite the above) because of the Eliot connection and also he seems like good inspiration for the narrator in a story I'm working toward. I didn't get into the bits of Blake I've come across but people keep promoting him so I will go back to him when eventually. Marianne Moore I don't know if I've ever heard of but looking her up now I like what I am reading so I will spend time with her so thanks.

There's two Nerudas in the collection I'm reading ('I'm Explaining a Few Things' and Canto XII) and they are both good and 30 seconds looking at his biography has sold me on reading all his work.

FilthyImp posted:

Seconding Donne and Browning, though Donne is religious some of the lyrical flow just jumps off the page (and I've always loved The Flea for being so cheeky).

What did you think of Whitman or Emily Dickinson? Slightly before the modernists. Is there anything in particular you enjoyed and want more of???
I'm not familiar with them - I'm not American and the survey I read, besides being brisk, focused mainly on Britain and Australia. However a quick look suggests I might like Whitman, the Songs of the Open Road are moving me a little.

The Eliot I particularly liked is part 5 of The Waste Land and the Yeats I particularly liked is Sailing to Byzantium. The commonality here is maybe a slightly fantastical sense of place. For example I also like Invisible Cities so far as prose goes, and while Shelley mostly does little for me I like his The Tower of Famine:

The Tower of Famine posted:

Amid the desolation of a city,
Which was the cradle, and is now the grave
Of an extinguished people,—so that Pity

Weeps o’er the shipwrecks of Oblivion’s wave,
There stands the Tower of Famine. It is built
Upon some prison-homes, whose dwellers rave

For bread, and gold, and blood: Pain, linked to Guilt,
Agitates the light flame of their hours,
Until its vital oil is spent or spilt.

There stands the pile, a tower amid the towers
And sacred domes; each marble-ribbed roof,
The brazen-gated temples, and the bowers

Of solitary wealth,--the tempest-proof
Pavilions of the dark Italian air,--
Are by its presence dimmed--they stand aloof,

And are withdrawn—so that the world is bare;
As if a spectre wrapped in shapeless terror
Amid a company of ladies fair

Should glide and glow, till it became a mirror
Of all their beauty, and their hair and hue,
The life of their sweet eyes, with all its error,
Should be absorbed, till they to marble grew.

quote:

I like to boost Jean Toomer's Cane though it is a mix of prose and verse. It captures something sublime, and i think it pairs with the more known Harlem Renaissance artists like Hughes.

Sample:
This rules thanks, I know almost nothing of the Harlem Renaissance but it looks like something I'd benefit from knowing more than nothing about perhaps partly by reading Jean Toomer's Cane.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

toanoradian posted:

Can you explain what Aquinas' theory is?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

im being flippant, i actually don't know much about what aquinas says about aesthetics, and i probably should, so i'm gonna go read up on that and get back to you. he's mostly a theologian.
This guy might be able to help:

Edit: Yes, I'm buying it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 17, 2019

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Eco did a monograph called 'Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages' which is also good. Though there's a more recent academic book called 'The Experience of Beauty in the Middle Ages' by Mary Carruthers which apparently refines what he says there but gently caress getting academic books outside of libraries

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

J_RBG posted:

Eco did a monograph called 'Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages' which is also good. Though there's a more recent academic book called 'The Experience of Beauty in the Middle Ages' by Mary Carruthers which apparently refines what he says there but gently caress getting academic books outside of libraries

what you don't enjoy paying 275 euros for a book? I mean the pages are clay coated!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peel posted:

I've read Iliad/Odyssey, Inferno and Paradise Lost, but they didn't really click with me. I think I have trouble with old poetry and writing in general
Yeah, sometimes the sentence construction or work fails to connect. For me, it's always taken me an extra bit of concentration to get through Willy Shakes.
Iliad/Odyssey might help if you understand that the odd repetition of phrases (Cow-Eyed Hera) were built-in to help retellings in the oral tradition. At least I think that's what I was told when initially reading selections.
Inferno benefits from a cheat-sheet of some of the individuals being mentioned and a good translation that does the rhyme justice. Sometimes you're just like "who is this rear end in a top hat, some guy that threw orgies woopdido" without the extra layer of understanding their place in history.
And Paradise is easier to pick up if you understand Satan is being cast in a Byronic light, as a tragic hero. Maybe that'll help move past the language issues.

quote:

There's two Nerudas in the collection I'm reading ('I'm Explaining a Few Things' and Canto XII) and they are both good and 30 seconds looking at his biography has sold me on reading all his work.
Neruda rocks. He appeals to that little teenager in the back of your mind entranced with lofty ideas about love, but can also make it raw, alienating, and moving all in the span of a few stanzas.
My favorite is Poem 20. Really captures the sense of being off following lost love.

quote:

I'm not familiar with them - I'm not American and the survey I read, besides being brisk, focused mainly on Britain and Australia.
Whoops, sorry. I assumed you were a yankie.
Whitman is gangbusters and places himself and the human experience at the center of his work in an unapologetic way.
[Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes]
Dickinson can be wry and overly concerned with mortality
[Because I could not stop for Death - He kindly stopped for me]
Both kind of make you stop and say "enough about these lofty ideas about nature and eternity, what about our experiences"

quote:

This rules thanks, I know almost nothing of the Harlem Renaissance but it looks like something I'd benefit from knowing more than nothing about perhaps partly by reading Jean Toomer's Cane.
The Harlem Renaissance is best known through Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, the continued development of Jazz and figures like Booker T. Washington and other writers/activists/artists. It's one of the great byproducts of the Great African-American Migration of the early 1900s (going from the rural south to urban centers in the north), resulting in a bunch of work put towards understanding the negro experience in the U.S. Picture a continually sub-altern populace finally graining a critical mass of brains and voices clustered in a space and you have the recipe for a lot of awesome art and thinking, in other words.

Cane is interesting because of Toomer's background-- vastly educated, lineage was in the upper crust of the negro community, 2nd wife was wealthy, and he himself avoided being labeled as an ethnic writer. Events later in life caused Toomer to more closely identify as African American, he would try to embody the idea that he was American foremost (so kind of an early post-racial ideology). It's an interesting proposition of wanting to be past the bias of skin color, but also giving justice and reverence to the experience.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Peel posted:

Marianne Moore I don't know if I've ever heard of but looking her up now I like what I am reading so I will spend time with her so thanks.

nothing better than a poem called poetry with the opening line 'i too, dislike it' imo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

weird to talk about satan in paradise lost being cast in a byronic light given it was written 100 years before byron was born. anyway, it's amazing, miltons great, but its definitely not an intro to poetry text. best way to get into poetry is to obsessively read edward lear and lewis carroll until every thought is in metre and then read the sonnets and then the romantics and only then are you allowed to move on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have found Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace to be excellent gateways to great poetry

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i have found
Rupi Kaur
and
Amanda Lovelace
to be
excellent gateways to
great

poetry

-rupi kaur

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have found the hymns of the priestess Enheduanna a superb gateway to all subsequent poetry

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have found Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace to be excellent gateways to great poetry

rupi kaur is a great gateway(a greatway, to be poetic) to badness

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Does anyone have any recommendations with modern Korean literature? I've enjoyed what I've read of Han Kang's work (The Vegeterian and Human Acts) and I'd like to know more.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is there a French equivalent of KJV? Whence would, for instance, Proust quote Revelations?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Boatswain posted:

Is there a French equivalent of KJV? Whence would, for instance, Proust quote Revelations?

Well, no single French translation has a cultural impact equivalent to the KJV. Since the 16th century there's also the added difficulty of competing Protestant and Catholic translations, with Swiss Bibles like the Segond having a lot of spread in the wider francophonie but not being read all that much in France. Liberal Catholics and more generally intellectuals in the 19th century would have read Lamennais' gospels and probably directly the Vulgate if they bothered to read the Old Testament at all. The janséniste translation of the Bible was also very influential if only because of how angry it made people for two centuries afterwards.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I have found Blake and Shelley to be excellent gateways to great poetry

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kangxi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations with modern Korean literature? I've enjoyed what I've read of Han Kang's work (The Vegeterian and Human Acts) and I'd like to know more.

While not strictly Korean (Korean-American) I recently finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee about Koreans in Japan and it was pretty good if maybe not capital L literature

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

lost in postation posted:

Well, no single French translation has a cultural impact equivalent to the KJV. Since the 16th century there's also the added difficulty of competing Protestant and Catholic translations, with Swiss Bibles like the Segond having a lot of spread in the wider francophonie but not being read all that much in France. Liberal Catholics and more generally intellectuals in the 19th century would have read Lamennais' gospels and probably directly the Vulgate if they bothered to read the Old Testament at all. The janséniste translation of the Bible was also very influential if only because of how angry it made people for two centuries afterwards.

Cheers!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kangxi posted:

Please look after Mom by Shin Kyung-sook is one I read a few years ago and enjoyed. I would also second Pachinko.

This year At Dusk by Hwang Sok-yong is on the Man Booker International longlist. According to my wife he was in all of her textbooks growing up, and she hates him.

I live in Korea so I really don't have an excuse for not reading more Korean literature. I will fix this!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

A human heart posted:

rupi kaur is a great gateway(a greatway, to be poetic) to badness

Rupi Kaur is, like, inspirational quotes on coffee mugs level. At best.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is it safe to assume that the fiction they chose here is actually bad https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/books/review/best-books.html

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ulvir posted:

is it safe to assume that the fiction they chose here is actually bad https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/books/review/best-books.html
Given that the blurbs are written like poo poo and one of the nonfiction entries appears to be about microdosing, it wouldn't surprise me.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

ulvir posted:

Asymmetry is one of the worst books I've tried to read

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Can't stop chuckling at the awfulness of the nanny blurb. It's like something out of a high school newspaper.

quote:

We know from the outset of this unnerving cautionary tale (winner of the Goncourt Prize) that a beloved nanny has murdered the two children in her care; but what’s even more remarkable about this unconventional domestic thriller is the author’s intimate analysis of the special relationship between a mother and the person she hires to care for her offspring. Slimani writes devastating character studies, and she also raises painful themes: the forbidden desires parents project onto their nannies, racial and class tensions. In this mesmerizingly twisted novel, only one thing is clear: Loneliness can drive you crazy.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Somewhat related, I enjoyed this article about the state of american literary criticism

quote:

Often the attraction is the writing in the criticism. Profiles can have similar effects if written in the spirit of appreciative criticism. But writers are not famous like actors, and shouldn’t be under the burden of being as interesting as their books, and the authors of the most interesting books never will be. Most Q&As with young authors simply bend their idiom to a coded language of salesmanship. Pity them in their pantomime of likability.

quote:

The edifice of “books coverage” that has been constructed around the work of critics looks a lot like the coverage of television—a tissue of lists, recommendations, profiles, Q&As, online book clubs, lifestyle features, and self-promotional essays by authors of new books—an edifice so slapdash it could be blown away in a week. And if the house collapsed, nobody would miss it.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Can't stop chuckling at the awfulness of the nanny blurb. It's like something out of a high school newspaper.

That sounds like the most boring possible angle on child murder

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

J_RBG posted:

That sounds like the most boring possible angle on child murder

The book actually isn't bad, although it's pretty firmly middlebrow. Translating the original title (Une Chanson douce) as The Perfect Nanny seems an unbelievably bad choice though, unless there's a specific cultural reference I'm missing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm reading the Automobile Club of Egypt which I think was recommended in here at one point, but just want to say it slaps. Extremely good reading so far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

J_RBG posted:

Somewhat related, I enjoyed this article about the state of american literary criticism

this is extremely applicable to Norwegian literary/cultural criticism as well, at least in the daily newspapers :(

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yeah, the writing in that article was all levels of yikes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The Perfect Nanny is really good though

Unfortunately "The Perfect Nanny" is a terrible title and makes it sound like a Lifetime Movie of the Week

The original French title "Lullaby" is so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

But seriously that blurb reminds me of when Oprah put 100 years of solitude on her book club

quote:

I'm so excited to announce our first Book Club Selection of 2004! It is a HUGE book—the favorite of writers, readers, and even celebrities around the world. And I assure you, it is a reader's read!

Brace yourselves—One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez is as steamy, dense and sensual as the jungle that surrounds the surreal town of Macondo!

Elaborating on real stories from his own family history, García Márquez breathes life into a wild, wonderful, mythical cast of characters in One Hundred Years of Solitude. You'll encounter strong men driven mad by their pursuit of knowledge…women who love life too much to die…butterflies that follow lovers…ghosts who refuse to leave…and so much more.

Magic permeates everyday life in Macondo—and is accepted without the blink of an eye. But One Hundred Years of Solitude is not a fairy tale. There is pain and suffering, angst and frustration, war and forgiveness, loss and heartache. The relationships among six generations of the Buendía family reflect the mythology of all our lives, and the drama of an entire culture.

There is so much to find in this novel! Reality and magic, men and women, politics and love, past, present and future. For Márquez, time—like the lines between reality and magic—is blurry. With each branch of the family tree, with every repetition of a name, it seems the Buendías are cursed to repeat their forbearers' mistakes.

I'm delighted to share this novel with you! It is a work I hope you will savor with every one of your senses. And we've only just begun!

Turn to page one: "Many years later, as he face the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice…"

Let the magic begin…and let it take you away!

— Oprah