Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Post your Pratchett!

Highlights: First UK edition of Good Omens, first US edition of Night Watch, uncorrected proofs of Science of Discworld I and III, uncorrected proofs of the 3 Long Earth books (I don't know why so many uncorrected proofs end up in the used book store at my Barnes & Noble but I'm not complaining)
Not pictured: the Art of Discworld (on another shelf)

also my wife framed the map of Ankh-Morkpork as a birthday present a few years back; one of these days I need to iron it out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think Feet of Clay is my favorite Watch book and I'm due for a re-read.

Feet is Clay is really great, and contains a lot of striking imagery (the city in the fog, Carrot's "interrogation" of Dorfl). The poisoning storyline does drag a bit, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trin Tragula posted:

Do you actually want to talk about it, or just snipe? I'd genuinely like to hear about how other people read that book because the allusions seem so clear and obvious to me.

The book is not about 1980s club football. It's about how camp-ball became association football, and my source for that is Terry himself. We can talk about the parallels if you like, especially the relationship between town and gown, but the allusions you see are I suspect the effect of times and people never truly changing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I haven't read Shepherd's Crown yet though.

Shepherd's Crown wrecked me. It's the only book I've considered quitting because I realized something terrible was about to happen and the only book that has made me cry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The antagonist in Unseen Academicals is crowd psychology, which Vetinari is trying to make a small shift in.

Anyway, I'm going to say the weakest book is Witches Abroad, which has a lot of gags but suffers because Lilith Weatherwax doesn't really make sense as an antagonist. She's going to force people to fit tropes, and this makes her the good one because ?????.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The antagonist in Unseen Academicals is crowd psychology, which Vetinari is trying to make a small shift in.

Anyway, I'm going to say the weakest book is Witches Abroad, which has a lot of gags but suffers because Lilith Weatherwax doesn't really make sense as an antagonist. She's going to force people to fit tropes, and this makes her the good one because ?????.

Have you ever heard anyone say that something is a war between good and evil and then put themselves on the side of evil?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Lilith Weatherwax doesn't really make sense as an antagonist.

OK I wonder what

Rand Brittain posted:

She's going to force people to fit tropes, and this makes her the good one because ?????.

huh :confused:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jedit posted:

Have you ever heard anyone say that something is a war between good and evil and then put themselves on the side of evil?

Dr Evil?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I shall call you... Trini-Me.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jedit posted:

The book is not about 1980s club football.

I didn't say the book was about football in the 80s. What I said was that the culture that surrounds football in A-M, which is clearly a pre-industrial mob football game, is very reminiscent of the culture around the particular conditions of English football in the 1980s, and particularly that culture as presented by the newspapers of the day. Same as how the Borogravian Army fights in pre-gunpowder style with pikes and bows, but its organisation and culture is that of the British Army circa 1880-1980; it clearly isn't the New Model Army, or the army that went to Agincourt.

quote:

It's about how camp-ball became association football, and my source for that is Terry himself. We can talk about the parallels if you like, especially the relationship between town and gown

Please, feel free to expand. Part of the reason why I'm so interested is that for many other books, he did long interviews years later where he expanded on the themes of the book and where he was coming from, but I don't think he got to do that for Academicals.

vvv there's a page on the L-Space Web, https://www.lspace.org/about-terry/interviews/index.html , although an annoyingly large section of it has succumbed to link rot; there's also a lot of him just generally gassing with fans on Usenet vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 18, 2019

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Please, feel free to expand. Part of the reason why I'm so interested is that for many other books, he did long interviews years later where he expanded on the themes of the book and where he was coming from, but I don't think he got to do that for Academicals.

Got any links to these? I never really followed anything about the books when they were coming out, just bought them as they came out. I'd love to read stuff that expands on the books so if there's a big fat list of these things then that'd be great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I reread Wintersmith every so often. It's a real good book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trin Tragula posted:

Same as how the Borogravian Army fights in pre-gunpowder style with pikes and bows, but its organisation and culture is that of the British Army circa 1880-1980; it clearly isn't the New Model Army, or the army that went to Agincourt.
I'd definitely place it as 1790-1914. And even that would make allowances for the Borogravia not being a colonial power, which was a huge part of the army's role and identity at the time.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Post your Pratchett!

My wife is wonderful so I have some stuff that means the world to me.

Highlights for me:
A signed first editions of Snuff that my wife got me when I realized Terry would not be around forever.

Two Paul Kidby prints signed by Pratchett.

And a set of Royal Mail stamps from my first, longest, and favorite fantasy series’s. And also King Arthur?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Highlights for me:
A signed first editions of Snuff that my wife got me when I realized Terry would not be around forever.

Two Paul Kidby prints signed by Pratchett.

:eyepop:

gently caress I'm jealous, those prints own. Kidby is the best.

btw my wife also has some of those Paper Nano models above my Pratchett shelves :v:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:eyepop:

gently caress I'm jealous, those prints own. Kidby is the best.

btw my wife also has some of those Paper Nano models above my Pratchett shelves :v:

Nice! Those are actually Lego, but I have those and Hogwarts. My wife thinks it’s nerdy but cute.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Post your Pratchett!

Highlights: First UK edition of Good Omens, first US edition of Night Watch, uncorrected proofs of Science of Discworld I and III, uncorrected proofs of the 3 Long Earth books (I don't know why so many uncorrected proofs end up in the used book store at my Barnes & Noble but I'm not complaining)
Not pictured: the Art of Discworld (on another shelf)

also my wife framed the map of Ankh-Morkpork as a birthday present a few years back; one of these days I need to iron it out though.

Got most of them when I was in hospital for a few weeks, a few years ago. Powered through like fifteen in that time, great distraction.

A friend made these for a bunch of us a few years ago, still love it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it's really fun how there's a million editions. We don't have a single printing in common! I'm gonna wild guess you're in the UK though?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

iajanus posted:

A friend made these for a bunch of us a few years ago, still love it.

Your friend is a saint, that's so cute and I'm jealous as all hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

From the Tor newsletter. It's kind of worth a read?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think it's really fun how there's a million editions. We don't have a single printing in common! I'm gonna wild guess you're in the UK though?

Australia. We generally get the UK editions of most things.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve got the maps and the cut-out-and-build Unseen University somewhere, too.

These cost me a pretty penny:

(£1 each)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wow

e: I would give so much for those beers

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Taking a picture of all my Pratchetts would basically mean taking a picture of the whole bookcase as I arrange my books the only reasonable way, size :kheldragar:, so different printings are all over the place.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
With our Pratchett collection, you can tell when I started reading the series because that's when it shifts from paperback to hardback. (My dad's too cheap to buy books in hardback; I'm too impatient to wait.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

With our Pratchett collection, you can tell when I started reading the series because that's when it shifts from paperback to hardback. (My dad's too cheap to buy books in hardback; I'm too impatient to wait.)

The same tactic wouldn't work on my collection because I acquired a couple of the hardback re-releases as goodies at DWCons and I also had to replace my (loving signed) copy of Witches Abroad after my sister wrecked it. I started buying h/b with either MAA or SM, whichever was first.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For me you can tell more-or-less when I started reading Pratchett, because I bought all the paperbacks until there weren't anymore to buy/read, and then switched to HB as I caught up to the new releases. My 1st edition HBs of Good Omens and Night Watch were recent gifts, so I caught up at either Making Money or Unseen Academicals, whichever came first.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

The same tactic wouldn't work on my collection because I acquired a couple of the hardback re-releases as goodies at DWCons and I also had to replace my (loving signed) copy of Witches Abroad after my sister wrecked it. I started buying h/b with either MAA or SM, whichever was first.

I have Interesting Times and Lords & Ladies signed, although L&L is missing the dust cover as you can see from my pic up there.

I did have Wyrd Sisters with a personalised message from TP but when I worked in a call centre a colleague took my bag by mistake and, thinking it was his bag, saw the book and “thought his friends had put a bible in there as a joke” so then “tore it in half and threw it in the river”. Totally totally normal reactions. Who destroys a book without even looking what it is?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sanford posted:

I have Interesting Times and Lords & Ladies signed, although L&L is missing the dust cover as you can see from my pic up there.

My signed Pratchetts are Thief of Time and Eric!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Alhazred posted:

My signed Pratchetts are Thief of Time and Eric!

Do you have that”official signature of...” stamp thing? Mine are just... signed.

Edit: and I don’t mean L&L, it’s Witches Abroad that’s signed and missing the cover!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sanford posted:

I did have Wyrd Sisters with a personalised message from TP but when I worked in a call centre a colleague took my bag by mistake and, thinking it was his bag, saw the book and “thought his friends had put a bible in there as a joke” so then “tore it in half and threw it in the river”. Totally totally normal reactions. Who destroys a book without even looking what it is?
That's cassus belli for an rear end kicking if ever there was one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sanford posted:

Do you have that”official signature of...” stamp thing? Mine are just... signed.

They are just signed. No stamps.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have signed ankh-morpork and discworld maps. Unfortunately though they were in fold out booklets and he signed the front page of the booklets, not the actual maps, so I can't display them with the signatures >_<

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've Googled several methods of removing the creases from the map I have framed, but they all involve heat and it scares me that the ink will run or the paper will scorch or something :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've Googled several methods of removing the creases from the map I have framed, but they all involve heat and it scares me that the ink will run or the paper will scorch or something :ohdear:

Unless the ink is lard-based, heat can't make it run.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mods please change my name to Lard-based Ink

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sanford posted:

:psyduck:
How do you possibly make that mistake, too? Like, the Discworld covers are pretty colourful. I don't think I've ever seen any bibles that could possibly be mistaken for them even at a glance!
Also, for that matter, just how big an rear end in a top hat do you have to be to tear a sacred book in half and throw it in the river? I'm an atheist and I wouldn't loving do that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

:psyduck:
How do you possibly make that mistake, too? Like, the Discworld covers are pretty colourful. I don't think I've ever seen any bibles that could possibly be mistaken for them even at a glance!
Also, for that matter, just how big an rear end in a top hat do you have to be to tear a sacred book in half and throw it in the river? I'm an atheist and I wouldn't loving do that.

It could have been the black and metal cover that came out just after the "Pretend You're Reading a Book For Grown-Ups" editions of Harry Potter.

Still no excuse, mind you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Those covers look excellent on a Kindle, I changed them all to those on my digital Pratchett-reading device.

Also someone made a really nice lockscreen image off the Kidby Death portrait, so I use that too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The_White_Crane posted:

If you're an atheist, it's not sacred. It's just a book. I definitely understand tearing it in half; it's the river that deserves more respect.