Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've always liked those rare moments when they acknowledge something good in a film.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I can't remember if they commented on it, but in the Colossal Guide somebody (Kevin, I think) went on about how pretty the infamous Russo-Finnish co-productions were to look at as they obviously had money put into them.

And of course, The Time Travellers has that big where Jonah points out that a lot of the effects are practical. Same in that Doug McClure submarine one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ALso that guy could have been referring to Jim Mallon, who was effectively The Guy In Charge and famously had a lovely view on the movies the show did

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have them all except The Singles Collection since I have them already. I buy them as soon as they are available to avoid what happened with Volume 10 (which I have an original as well). I buy them from Shout! Factory if there's a bonus disc involved

Got a picture of your collection?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drrockso20 posted:

Got a picture of your collection?

Not right now. I've got everything in boxes until I build some new shelves.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Fun fact is that the opening really did have nothing to do with anything and according to Tony Cardoza it was just something that Coleman Francis wanted to film.

"If you see anything, film it and we'll throw it in"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have them all except The Singles Collection since I have them already. I buy them as soon as they are available to avoid what happened with Volume 10 (which I have an original as well). I buy them from Shout! Factory if there's a bonus disc involved

I'm just missing 10.2, which comes out on Tues. Obviously also missing 10.1, and the DVD of The Amazing Colossal Man, though I do have the VHS of that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Davros1 posted:

I'm just missing 10.2, which comes out on Tues. Obviously also missing 10.1, and the DVD of The Amazing Colossal Man, though I do have the VHS of that.

I also have the Giant Gila Monster "replacement" disc, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ah, when Toho said noho.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Speaking of complete MST3K collections, are two Anniversary editions and a Turkey Day box necessary to complete one? Or these episodes will appear on the regular volumes later?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ringu0 posted:

Speaking of complete MST3K collections, are two Anniversary editions and a Turkey Day box necessary to complete one? Or these episodes will appear on the regular volumes later?

They are all featuring unique episodes. The only exception is that 25th anniversary features Mitchell and The Brain that Wouldn't Die as a bonus, and Shout may have issued one of those films as a single.

You'll also need the singles for Red Zone Cuba and The Wild World of Batwoman and Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did they ever release that as a seperate disc? I only have the original version of Volume 10 (I think that was the one anyway) with Godzilla Vs. Megalon and didn't think it was worth it to buy the same set again for the sake of one new episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Larryb posted:

Did they ever release that as a seperate disc? I only have the original version of Volume 10 (I think that was the one anyway) with Godzilla Vs. Megalon and didn't think it was worth it to buy the same set again for the sake of one new episode.

Rhino made it available right after 10.2 was released for that very reason.

It was either $6.95 or $7.95. It's long out of print, of course.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I own everything except Season 11.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Re-watching Incredibly Strange Creatures, never really noticed how many trans jokes are at the beginning. :(

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I can't remember if they commented on it, but in the Colossal Guide somebody (Kevin, I think) went on about how pretty the infamous Russo-Finnish co-productions were to look at as they obviously had money put into them.

I remember watching an old interview where a film critic calls Mike out for making fun of Gamera and Godzilla movies. His response was that they'd gladly make fun of other good movies, past or present, but getting their rights would be prohibitively expensive. Hence why he does exactly that with commentary tracks through Rifftrax.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1104925474227146753/photo/1

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

They are all featuring unique episodes. The only exception is that 25th anniversary features Mitchell and The Brain that Wouldn't Die as a bonus, and Shout may have issued one of those films as a single.

You'll also need the singles for Red Zone Cuba and The Wild World of Batwoman and Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Thank you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Joel is nothing if not gracious

SirPhoebos posted:

Re-watching Incredibly Strange Creatures, never really noticed how many trans jokes are at the beginning. :(

That's the problem with comedy and time.

poo poo that people used to think was funny quickly gets sussed out as not so as the years go by. Just look at Eddie Murphy's early career. Don't think he'll be calling back to those routines

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

That's the problem with comedy and time.

poo poo that people used to think was funny quickly gets sussed out as not so as the years go by. Just look at Eddie Murphy's early career. Don't think he'll be calling back to those routines

Wasn't there a thing about them taking out some more off-color jokes in a RiffTrax?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there a thing about them taking out some more off-color jokes in a RiffTrax?

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1084258998851911681

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

SirPhoebos posted:

yeah that one's off my regular list now... so is violent years, with the male rape jokes

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

yeah that one's off my regular list now... so is violent years, with the male rape jokes

I just cringe and move on. The Incredibly Strange Creatures is my favorite Sci-Fi episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's hard for me to get outraged at The Violent Years just because the scene is done so badly. Like maybe if anyone in the scene had actually shown any emotion at all it would have been different but the guy is barely put out by the impending attack.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i just want to know what trashing the classroom was supposed to accomplish as a commie plot or whatever

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

i just want to know what trashing the classroom was supposed to accomplish as a commie plot or whatever

Ed Wood wrote it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One reference that stands out to me is Track of the Moon Beast and the California Lady sketch where they keep saying "the Eskimo guy" but I feel like Eskimo wasn't accepted as the impolite term until later (probably because that's when they finally got around to asking Inuits).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

muscles like this! posted:

It's hard for me to get outraged at The Violent Years just because the scene is done so badly. Like maybe if anyone in the scene had actually shown any emotion at all it would have been different but the guy is barely put out by the impending attack.

I watched that episode and it didn't really strike me as offensive. I think a big part of it was that the movie wasn't going for horror or any kind of emotional pay off but rather just titillation. It's a male fantasy.

And I didn't realized that some people could consider Eskimo impolite. Like, I never heard it before now. I do cringe a little when they shorten Gypsy's name, but I know it's just an unfortunate coincidence (although some people do consider even the full term to be a slur, but like a lot of these things, it depends on who you ask).

Edit: https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/

So it looks like it depends. In Canada and Greenland, they don't like it, and in Alaska, they are okay with Eskimo.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 18, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I read somewhere that calling a non-Inuit an Inuit is a bigger insult than calling them Eskimo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as with a lot of things it depends on the person (don't treat entire groups of people as a singular bloc of group thought) and always err on the side of not being lovely

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

they were pretty decent movies, they just suffered from cultural translation issues. russian/finnish folklore is weird if you're not familiar with it, same as how every so often people rediscover that a lot of germanic folklore tales are dark and morbid in their original form

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

luxury handset posted:

they were pretty decent movies, they just suffered from cultural translation issues. russian/finnish folklore is weird if you're not familiar with it, same as how every so often people rediscover that a lot of germanic folklore tales are dark and morbid in their original form

They also suffered from actual translation issues. The movies came over during a time when the independent studios that bought the rights would often trim down or recut a foreign film, or sometimes they'd even create completely new stories. That man was no Sinbad...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Day The Earth Froze:

quote:

The Finnish version has been released on DVD in 2014. It was restored by Finnish National Audiovisual Institute in 2014 to digital 4K format

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heck, Hercules Against the Moon Men isn't even really about Hercules.

Then you have Germany, where thanks to Frankenstein Conquers the World, a bunch of kaiju flicks got retitled into things like "Frankenstein and the Monster from the Sea" (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster) and "King Kong: Monsters from Outer Space" (Godzilla vs. Megalon).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keromaru5 posted:

Heck, Hercules Against the Moon Men isn't even really about Hercules.

Then you have Germany, where thanks to Frankenstein Conquers the World, a bunch of kaiju flicks got retitled into things like "Frankenstein and the Monster from the Sea" (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster) and "King Kong: Monsters from Outer Space" (Godzilla vs. Megalon).

Which makes one imagine a universe where Dr Frankenstein and his descendents just kept mucking around with things they shouldn't, in this case making Kaiju and Giant Robots and stuff, it's the kind of thing that would make for a great premise for a comic book or cartoon, or video game

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

drrockso20 posted:

Which makes one imagine a universe where Dr Frankenstein and his descendents just kept mucking around with things they shouldn't, in this case making Kaiju and Giant Robots and stuff, it's the kind of thing that would make for a great premise for a comic book or cartoon, or video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddhwuSgzsY

Kind of OT but there's a group of independant kaiju wrestlers that tours (out of boston iirc) and everyone should go see them if they get the chance they're amazing live.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I had a Kaiju Big Battel poster (Silver Potato) back in 2003, good to see they are still doing their thing

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just watched gunslinger, it’s probably one of the best movie movies of the season. There’s a reasonably well done romantic triangle, questions of honor, some fun western dialogue… Until it gets to the end and it gets Corman all over the place.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Just watched gunslinger, it’s probably one of the best movie movies of the season. There’s a reasonably well done romantic triangle, questions of honor, some fun western dialogue… Until it gets to the end and it gets Corman all over the place.

Plus it has both Beverly Garland and Allison Hayes :allears:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

beverly garland owns. i've never seen her give less than 100 percent to anything she's in. even things that clearly don't deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

beverly garland owns. i've never seen her give less than 100 percent to anything she's in. even things that clearly don't deserve it.

She definitely does. And I'd go so far as to say that while Gunslinger doesn't even come close to being a great genre film, I've watched numerous western films and TV shows ever since I was a kid, and it's definitely nowhere near the worst of 'em. It's not The Wild Bunch, but it's also definitely not Last of the Wild Horses, either.